Song Contest 124 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:06 am

Post by Parama »

Gonna enter something awful for a change

Haha jk how about some upbeat rock stuff so y'all don't fall asleep
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Post by Parama »

oceans of april
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 am

Post by Parama »

oh right I forgot to send & I'm at work now too lazy to pick something so whatevs see y'all next time maybe
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 am

Post by Parama »

Haken gets 12 by default from me
Only other artists I recognize are Moby and CHRVCHES
I dunno, maybe I'll vote just to give Haken a 12, both singles from the new album have been rad but I doubt they'll do well here
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:55 am

Post by Parama »

I've never listened to Remain in Light :P
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (isolation #5) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:26 am

Post by Parama »

United Kingdom – I’ve never been too impressed with anything I’ve heard from these guys in the past but this has a decent enough groove to it. It’s fun enough. (DECENT)

USA – The drums just sound like garbage and drown out the guitars pretty much the entire song, there’s no real sense of dynamics to this and as such it comes off as… really flat. I see the potential for a decent song but it’s really ruined by the percussion-heavy mixing. (MEDIOCRE)

Hong Kong – This kind of was just normal bad until that freaking awful high-pitched singer came in towards the end and absolutely blew out my eardrums with one of the most unpleasant sounds I’ve heard in ages. But no, what the hell is this, this sounds like AJR was soundtracking this movie lol. I hate it.

Central African Republic – It’s definitely not as weird/unlistenable as anything from Talking Heads but it’s mostly just a very… normal song, that’s about it. It’s fine enough. (AVERAGE)

Greenland – Let’s gather round the campfire and sing our generic indie folk song song. Like literally this sounds exactly like every other song in this style. He’s an okay enough singer but there’s no flavor to this, dammit. (MEDIOCRE)

Liechtenstein – Well this isn’t… bad, but it barely qualifies as a song. It’s quite possibly the least interesting song that’s ever been entered in a song contest. Congrats. (MEDIOCRE)

i ain't gonna vote if the rest of the contest keeps up like this because g e e z people find some goddamn interesting music to listen to for once
there were actually 7 songs in this set but i noped out of Hungary's within 20 seconds so no writeup for you
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (isolation #6) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:18 am

Post by Parama »

i dunno which is yours
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #7) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Post by Parama »

Lebanon – This is distinct from the past two Lebanon entries only in that the main synth riff is obnoxious as heck. There’s literally nothing else different about this and I don’t like it at all, so I’m stopping halfway.

Byzantium – It’s depressing that this obvious joke entry is genuinely more interesting than a lot of stuff that gets sent in these contest. It’s still a joke entry though.

Bhutan – Not super into the rapping as usually but the jazzy beat at least makes this something worth listening to, though I don’t know if it’s worth listening to for 3 and a half minutes. (AVERAGE)

Kenya – Doesn’t quite sound like he hit every one of those high notes but other than that this was pretty nice, really. Solid power ballad, felt the climax was cut a bit short, but I enjoyed it for the most part. (DECENT)

Spain – I’m surprised this was from 1992 because it feels at the very least 5 years or so ahead of its time. Though I can’t say I have much else to say about it. It’s okay but a bit basic and doesn’t really resonate with me in any way. (AVERAGE)

Burkina Faso – I could almost see myself liking this but there were a few too many elements going on the background throughout most of the song that made this feel a bit too cluttered. It’s not bad though. I can’t say it’s particularly unique either. (AVERAGE)

Djibouti – Hey, don’t submit videos like these where half the time the song is buried under sounds from the music video. Like, the song itself seems fine enough if not a bit generic but all those sound effects basically ruin the whole thing. (MEDIOCRE)
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (isolation #8) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Post by Parama »

i don't ever look at videos when i'm watching these so i got arbitrary loud buzzing noises and crowd screaming while the song was going on which definitely did not add to the environment :P
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (isolation #9) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Post by Parama »

i mean, this is a song contest, not a video contest

and anyways i've never been much for videos, 99% of my music listening happens either via CDs, spotify, or my mp3 player so
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (isolation #10) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Post by Parama »

Egypt – I mean I guess it’s kind of a cool idea to build a song around a sample like this but I absolutely do not want to listen to it, I only mean it’s cool in a conceptual sense and not as actual music I’m actually being subjected to.

Madagascar – Decent groove to this and I like the guitar solo, as simple as it is. I do wish this was developed a little more though because it’s pretty basic and kind of repetitive by the end. (AVERAGE)

Tanzania – The guitar line echoing the vocal melody on the chorus is a kind of neat little thing. That’s really about the only personality that this has though, it’s totally fine but again pretty much just another indie folk song. (AVERAGE)

South Korea – I’m not a huge Moby fan but he generally seems to always be at least somewhat competent. This is a solid enough groove & I dig it enough, I can’t say it’s anything amazing and it feels like it ends prematurely, but it’s alright. (DECENT)

Ecuador – I mean unless that last song is really good this is still gonna run away with my 12 only for lack of competition, though this is probably the weaker of the two singles they’ve put out for the upcoming album IMO. I still dunno how I feel about them leaning this heavily into djent but if they can make it work then sure. (DECENT)

Italy – Oh yeah I am absolutely not the right audience for this, this kind of “video game cover but we’re adding lyrics to it to try and pretend it’s a real song” kind of deal. It’s not that it’s even bad, on a musical level this is better than a lot of things in this contest but I can’t really say it’s something that has any potential of resonating with me. (AVERAGE)

i have just enough songs in "this is okay to vote for" tiers to make a full 10 (and have one to spare, by my count) so i guess i'll vote. not a particularly worthwhile contest but aside from the first set of stuff i listened to totally sucking this was okay
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (isolation #11) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Post by Parama »

In post 60, Aristophanes wrote:Parama, how do you choose your listening order? It seems so random.
that's because i take the entire list of submissions and put it into random.org
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #67 (isolation #12) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:06 am

Post by Parama »

tool I've finally come around and agree that This Armistice is the best TREOS song overall but their second album is better overall by a good bit
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #77 (isolation #13) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Post by Parama »

i mean i agree
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (isolation #14) » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Post by Parama »

man a lot of our comments & rankings are pretty similar this time errant. it's not just you on USA btw, the mixing blows, i said the same in my writeup

also technically it's 10/28 rabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #97 (isolation #15) » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:34 am

Post by Parama »

Parabba the Rabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #110 (isolation #16) » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Post by Parama »

lol i only ever win the crappy contests
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (isolation #17) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:29 pm

Post by Parama »

kenya would've been third or fourth but got the -20 penalty
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”