Survivormeet III (8/9-8/13) IT'S OVER!

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:02 am

Post by Chevre »

Option 2 > Option 1, though both seem fine to me

I agree about Option 3. Scummers? Quiet after 11:00 p.m.?
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Mina »

Yeah, that's a dealbreaker for Option 3.

How far is Lincoln City from an airport? Because Option 2 is tempting for the hot tub/lake/beach alone.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 am

Post by Cephrir »

Hard no on 3.

The other two both seem fine to me. But my travel is relatively easy so.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 am

Post by KittyMo »

In post 76, Mina wrote:YHow far is Lincoln City from an airport? Because Option 2 is tempting for the hot tub/lake/beach alone.
2.5 hr drive
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:29 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Got a message from the owners of 3 this morning. Looks like it's out, but not for the reason you all think.
Hi Kelly! Well actually doesnt sound silly, sounds like fun! We had a big group last year that played a game similar and they enjoyed it and we loved having them. So first off you know we live on site too right? We have no problem, in fact we have our family rafting trip that weekend every year so its pretty certain we will not be on site however we return Sun evening. Second I need to say its a bit concerning to have that many people for a couple reasons. One we only have 13 bed spaces and a sofa. We Do have an air mattress and some other pads and all 3 bedrooms are large with plenty of floor space for 2 more in each room on carpet along with room for 2 more in the other living area but we want you to know this. Along with that
we would need to ask you to limit it to 20 people maximum
. Normally 16 is our maximum because we are on a septic system. This many people for that many days can pose a serious issue with our system. Along with limiting to 20 we would need to ask you for your word that at least 8 of your 20 would shower in the evening and the remaining in the morning. This will assure our system does not overload. We have not had any problems yet as all larger groups have agreed to this and doneba fantastic job of following through. We want you to know the kitchen is small and it does have a 2 burner hot plate, lg electric skillet, crock pot, instant pot available, lg microwave and large toaster oven, a full size refrigerator and a bbq outside however it does not have a full size stove/oven in the kitchen. We do have many lg groups that cook meals and tell us it all worked great especiallt in summer as most bbq but we just wanted you to be aware of all this.

One concern is that you all met online but you did not say how long youve known eachother? All our groups have been families or friends for many years providing a certain degree of accountability toward each other. All we have is your profile and review to go by so its a bit of a concern how we would know or be assured there would be no issues for any of you party for unforseens. ie. Over drinking and disruptive to others or neighbors or not caring for the house. Not a huge concern but nevertheless it crossed our mind and felt it worth mentioning. And by the way Yes there are two seperate living room areas and they are down the hall from eachother and their are double doors that close off the suite.

Let me know your thoughts or concerns and I will try to be as clear and descriptive as possible. One last thing is youll notice you could only put in 16 guests max and that each guest over 10 is an additional $10/night. So we would need to decline this request and send a "special offer" back for you to chose with the additional $40/night chg for the 4 people over 16.

Hope this is all makes sense and will work for you. Please let me know so we can send you the offer.
Cheers!
Tim
He does mention a rule about at least 8 people promising to shower in the evening instead of the morning, which I think we should port to wherever we actually end up.

Lincoln City is a little over two hours away from PDX, probably two and a half with traffic.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 am

Post by Skelda »

My vote would be for whichever option would be cheaper, though I do like the idea of an extra day too. So as the prices currently stand I vote 1, but if we get enough people committed to make 2 less expensive I'd be open to it
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:11 am

Post by Skelda »

Oh and a 2.5 hour drive from the airport is unfortunate for 2 also.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 am

Post by kdowns »

I like 1 especially because of the extra day .

But two looks absolutely gorgeous, and very spacious.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

So for me option 1 is just like far better than option 2.

Like being 2 hours from an airport is like pretty bad for anyone who needs to fly in (and while I don't know the locations of everyone listed, a good portion of the ones I do know will need to fly in). Firstly, the last thing someone probably wants to do after a however many hour flight is drive for another 2 hours. Secondly, this means that for pretty much anyone they will either have to:
A. Rent a car for 5 days (not a cheap expense and if you can't drive or don't want to in a place you've been before, pretty bad)
B. Organize with people to pick them up at PAX anyway, and then travel 2 hours

Meanwhile the first one is literally 15 minutes from the airport. You can uber there for pretty cheap, public transport should be able to get you there, and should all else fail, someone at the meet can pick you up at the airport, even if they already are at the meet.

Thirdly, on the whole "we can hold more people so the meet will be cheaper" thing, if fewer people are able to attend, then the price won't be cheaper. If the more expensive option was the more accessible one, then yeah, I'd probably go along with that, but it's not. And I think you can probably accomodate a good amount of people for Option 1 anyway, even if the beds can only take up to 16 people, you can have people bring air mattresses, sleep on the couch, or worst comes to worst, use a sleeping bag and pillow. Obviously we'd need to check with the people who own the place if that's cool, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. So taking option 1 likely will have more attendees and a cheaper price.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure Haschel lives in Portland, or near it. So with option 1 he can probably find a weekend, visit the place, get a good sense of what he can set up where, talk to the owners themselves if they are nearby, and see if there are any problems beyond having to have a five day meet (I'm fine with this but I'm not sure if it's a dealbreaker for anyone else). Not sure if any of the mods are close to Option 2, but if they are you can disregard this.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:12 am

Post by KittyMo »

I'm pretty sure everyone that's local lives at least 40 minutes closer to Option 1 than Option 2 fwiw, but the airport is closer to Option 1 than we are
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 am

Post by DeasVail »

I would obviously be flying in, but if there’s some kind of okay transport option for option 2, I would do it. Even taking a few people via car hire and then splitting the costs could be an option potentially? Fine with Option 1 also though.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Transport

Nobody should be renting any cars. I have a car. Malkon has a car. Kittymo has a car. Ceph and STD are presumably driving down. Bebs is presumably driving down. Worst case scenario I can bully a family member into loaning us a car.

Whether we WANT to drive a long way is another discussion, but the cars themselves should not be an obstacle.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Post by Cephrir »

Yes, we can provide a car
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Survivormeet 1 was a pretty decent drive from the airport and it was fine fwiw
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Also a on of people for meet 1 just drove from wherever to the meet and didn't fly at all
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

lincoln city is also on the coast and pretty sleepy seaside town

but airport is probably better

also being in washington is a pro gtfo
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

Post by racefan12 »

I don't have a strong opinion of one over the other, and I also don't think any of the cons for either are actually cons (at least for me)
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 am

Post by kdowns »

I know id be flying in. It’s too long of a drive for me.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 am

In post 90, Save The Dragons wrote:lincoln city is also on the coast and pretty sleepy seaside town

but airport is probably better

also being in washington is a pro gtfo
Would specifying "Vancouver, Washington" make you feel better?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I like 2 for mainly selfish reasons, being that I might not get into the game at 1 but 2 will have enough space for me.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:00 am

I will say that we will be handling the sign-ups the same way Survivormeet II did. We will give everybody at least a month's notice before we start officially accepting payments, and then once that day comes it will be first-come, first-served. People missing the cutoff will go onto a waiting list.

Reck gave everybody 1 month but if we did that then I'm asking you all to send me a fair bit of money right at the start of the holiday season and I'm not going to let the Grinch ruin
two
things today. Therefore, right now I'm thinking that you all have until
January 15
to save money and get vacation requests in order.

That date may change if we think of a better way to handle this.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Post by DeasVail »

I’m okay with that.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Some people on the list will back out so i wouldn't worry too much about making it.

/in but I'll just hang out at the bottom in case people drop out.

Vote option 2
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Our original house might actually be available after all? I'm sending a message to the owner about it.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, it's available.

Right now we need to decide if we're doing 16 players + crew at $165/each or 18 players + crew at $151 each. Best of all, we can pay half of the money up front to reserve the spot, so I'll try and scrounge up the funds to do so.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”