Should the mod help players who misunderstand rules/roles?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Should the mod help players who misunderstand rules/roles?

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Post by BNL »

Sometimes when I mod games, I see players misread/misunderstand their role or the rules. They do not seek clarification because they don't see a reason for why their interpretation of the game is wrong, but from what they post in thread I find it very obvious that they are misunderstanding certain parts of the game.

This gives me the dilemma, should I intervene in such situations? I default to no, as it may compromise their alignment, and besides, it's the player's responsibility to properly check the rules and their role. However, I personally feel that it is only fair for every player to know the rules properly and shouldn't be punished for thinking otherwise.

In a game I recently finished modding, one player did not read their role PM properly, which led to their lynch when the town found that their claimed role did not match up with another player with the same role and a flipped role. At the same time, I knew he had misread his role PM from the start of the game based on some PMs they sent to me early game. I did not want to intervene there as I felt it would be bad intervention, but personally, I want to eliminate such accidents from happening because I believe this is out of the confines of the Mafia game.

There's the argument that this will prevent the Mafia from employing misreading their role as a strategy, but as I feel that strategy twists some confines of the game I have no problem with removing it as a strategy the Mafia can use.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:37 am

Post by BNL »

Thanks for the tip!

In that game I actually made players confirm also with their role and alignment. However, some people were confirming their alignment only, and because I didn't want to sound fussy, I decided to let it slide.

In slimer's case he confirmed as "Town Tracker Charger", which was in fact a hint for me that he misread his role PM.

It looks like I'll have to accept the blame here this time, as I hadn't realise how important for players to confirm both their role and alignment.
GTKAS - BNL

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am

Post by BNL »

I'm curious, what should I do to make sure they understand the rules? This came up in Micro 629 where I could tell Karnos didn't interpret the rules correctly.
GTKAS - BNL

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #5 (isolation #3) » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Post by BNL »

Mutant I understand what you are saying here, but I think you'll understand my rant more if something like that happened in your game. Trust me, someone misreading their role or the rules is NOT something you want to see in a game you mod.
GTKAS - BNL

Return to “Mafia Discussion”