Should the mod help players who misunderstand rules/roles?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:47 am

Post by mutantdevle »

I personally think that it's the player's responsibility to make sure that they understand their role. If they're not asking questions, there's nothing you can do. I briefly looked at your game and what I understand is that theslimer3 thought they were a tracker when they were actually specifically a tracker for the charging ability? That was on them. The role PM was very clear in making the distinction so it's their fault if they did not read it properly.
I mostly just lurk now.
mutantdevle
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
mutantdevle
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 am

Post by mutantdevle »

In post 6, Plotinus wrote:I think if it's just something they're saying in thread, you shouldn't intervene, but if they try to submit an invalid night action -- like a doc trying to protect themselves -- the right thing to do is to reply "you can't protect yourself. if you want to protect somebody else, let me know." instead of just saying "night action received"

for the tracker charger / charge tracker thing, I think you're right that the best thing to do would be to reply to the confirmation with "actually you're a charge tracker" or something like that.
Clarification that they got the name of their role wrong at the start of the game is perfectly valid intervention. With hindsight, that's the obvious soloution to the problem. However, BNL was still right not to intervene once the game started. When it comes to things like the way you deny false night actions, it's obvious that you can clarify things then. In fact, all it takes is to say "hey, you can't perform that night action" and the player SHOULD start questioning you which would lead to clarification on their own.

BNL, of course I wouldn't want that to happen in my game. When you make an effort to design a setup, it's always going to hurt when someone doesn't understand their role. But helping someone mid game is just a big no. If you had messaged them saying "hey, you got your role wrong" you would have changed the course of the game. They probably would have claimed properly and they wouldn't be lynched. The fact you would have made the decision to do that because of the events in the game makes it mod influence.
I mostly just lurk now.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”