Slay the Spire

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sun May 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

So I heard getting body slams and imperviouses early is really good? This run was stoopid, non-elites all died in the first turn and so did most of the elites!
I should not have bought a Dead Branch way at the end, but then it spawned Corruption for me against the final boss so that was nice!
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

Why can I win in the daily runs but not the normal runs lol.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Daily Runs are easier than normal runs.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

ive been stuck on asc14 for ironclad ugh
green shirt thursdays
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri May 25, 2018 8:07 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

What I found for Ironclad is that, once you hit whatever the Ascender's Bane ascension is, I started just having Evolve / Power Through / Second Wind / Body Slam+ as my "default" plan and only did other things with a compelling reason. Even if your deck doesn't end up being a Barricade/Calipers deck, that package works in most decks and is both super strong AND super flexible.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat May 26, 2018 5:22 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Just beat ascension 8 as Ironclad with a exhaust deck with the branch and the one that deals 3 damage on exhaust. That deck farmed once you got the exhaust your hand and deal 7 damage for each removed
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sun May 27, 2018 5:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Yeah, my easiest asc wins on Ironclad have all been dead branch runs. That relic is a game winner
green shirt thursdays
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2018 3:58 pm

Post by implosion »

Defect is damn fun. Got a decent frost/snecko eye/miscellaneous other stuff build in first run and beat time eater.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i can't figure out the build paths for defect yet
green shirt thursdays
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Beat ascension 10 as ironclad last week. With ironclad it feels really easy and with the silent it feels so hard.
When is the defect full released?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I got the Defect unlocked after doing a run as both Ironclad and Silent yesterday.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:40 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

defect is already released
green shirt thursdays
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 pm

Post by implosion »

Been enjoying defect a lot lately. Up to ascension 6 or 7. Best build I've gotten so far is definitely this one:

Featuring:
-8 claws, and overclock+ and beam cell+ as additional 0-cost cards
-All for one, by far the single most important card in the deck and its centerpiece, drawing all of the claws I've played so far to play again
-5 holograms, which can be used to draw all for one from my discard pile to play all of the claws i've played again again
-2 seeks, which can be used to tutor for the single copy of all for one
-Secret technique, which can be used to tutor for one of the seeks to get all for one, making it effectively a 4-of
-Shuriken, to buff my strength as I play all of the claws that i've played so far again every turn

So much fun.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

god i cant figure out how to make defect work

i always get duped into going for the 0 cost deck and just getting wrecked in act 3
green shirt thursdays
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 am

Post by chamber »

I think the powers based deck is his most consistent. Just need a boot sequence or 2 to cover the setup time.
Taking a break from the site.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The 0-Cost deck is probably the most powerful deck, but you gotta get a bunch of claws, some scrapes, some holograms, and at least one All for One; the +2 energy for 1 Void card is really good, too. And pray you don't run into Time Master.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:41 am

Post by hiplop »

I can only beat defect normal run, the other two are impossible :(
third best scummer of all time
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Post by Natirasha »

So I recently hit A15 play, and what I've learned is that A14->A15 is like way harder. I didn't realize how much I relied on events to carry me until I hit A15. It's no problem for the Silent since the Silent is broken, but the two other classes have me feeling like I hit a brick wall.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Post by implosion »

Hah. Silent is the only one I'm not at 15 with. Hit 15 on defect 2 days ago. And yeah, 14->15 is definitely huge. I think it's still best to rely on events to carry you though, it's just... not as good.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 pm

Post by implosion »

Apparently act 4 is getting released in the main branch tomorrow, which is pretty neat. I've avoided real spoilers about it so far so excited to try it out.

But in the mean time I feel the need to rant about how good this game is. Specifically a20 and how well-designed it is. I just beat a20 on a second character (beat it on ironclad maybe a month ago, just beat it on defect) and it just changes the game in a way no other level of ascension does. It fundamentally changes the incentives that you face as you run through the game. Before, one of the most viable sort of ideological strategies IME was to build a deck that's solid enough to beat bosses but won't be able to face many hard regular encounters, dodge elites as a first priority and regular encounters as a second priority (prioritizing fires/?s/shops depending on situation) and then just beat the bosses with highly-scaling cards like demon form or creative AI that are much more mediocre in repeated regular combats where many enemies in a row might hit you for high damage on turn 1.

But in ascension 20, that kind of deck isn't good enough. You need something even better than the typical good-enough deck in a19 - something *significantly* better, to the point where suddenly you're heavily incentivized to fight elites in order to get strong archetype-defining relics or support relics.

The double boss fight itself is also so complicated in such a great way with so many weird and interesting decisions. Like, how do I split my potions between the fights? If I were to weigh my deck against the boss I know I'm facing vs the other two, how much risk am I willing to take in this fight vs the next? In the run I just completed, I faced time lord followed by the chosen. The time lord I beat in ~10 turns taking ~1/3 of my hp (I started at almost full). But the chosen took ~25 turns to beat and I only made it out against it with a sliver of health... and I actually think I got lucky here, and suspect that if I'd fought the shapes instead I would have likely died because of the nature of my deck. My deck was actually really, really heavily flawed - it was fairly heavily reliant on three copies of reinforced body +, in conjunction with a chemical X that I picked up at a shop with the help of some gold-based relics (notably, before this run, I'd never even considered buying chemical X because I never had any x cards in my deck when i saw it!), and it had a few ways of making those draws consistent (equilibrium+, rebound, reprogram+ chief among them). But the deck was fairly big, and so a bad draw on the wrong turn could be very painful (there was a turn vs chosen when he hit for 10x4 on a turn where my only defensive card was a regular defend, so I had to tank 31 damage (would be 35 but torii is a lifesaver)). I had a lot of focus (biased cognition + core surge + consume+ = 7 focus), but only 2 orb slots because of consume and because I never was offered any +orb slot effects, so I had to balance between having frost orbs and being able to do damage largely through dark orbs (symbiotic virus + darkness+ + rainbow+).

It was just a really cool fight and I barely played it well enough to win and god this game is so good.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Post by implosion »

man, i have so many opinions in this thread that are just wrong now.

Barricade being a good card? Hah.
Gremlin leader being the worst act 2 elite? haaah. Fuck book of stabbing on high ascension.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:59 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

just started playing again. hit a16 on ironclad
can't fuckin get past a12 on silent. even when i think i have a bomb ass deck i get rekt

i feel like im missing some obvious good cards or something
green shirt thursdays

Return to “The Arcade”