Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2717 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 am

Post by Chickadee »

Played an interesting little filler game last night called Dig Mars. It was interesting. I'd like to play it through again now that I understand what's going on better.
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2719 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:41 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2718, implosion wrote:Meant to mention this - played a game of secret Hitler yesterday. It's interesting, seems almost like a good medium between something super casual like one night ultimate werewolf and something more argumentatively involved like resistance (at least with the people I've played it with).

I LOOOOVE Secret Hitler! I play it every so often. I would put it on level with Avalon/Resistance base games.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2721 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 am

Post by Chickadee »

I didn't get to play this game game last night, but saw it being played, and now I'm interested. Healthy Heart Hospital - anyone played it yet? Any thoughts? It seems interesting. I came in as a spectator about half way through, so I never really got a good grasp on the mechanics, but it seemed like fun and I trust the people that were playing it when they said it was good. They're pretty experienced gamers. They were learning it for the first time, so there were some kinks they had to work through.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2725 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:13 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2723, Andrius wrote:
Panzer wrote:Least favorite games so far have been Carcassone, Catan
I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringes whenever this thread goes on about how either of these is great.
Y'all aren't alone.

I'm super into Co-op Games, and I can say that not al of them leave you with that feeling. Honestly, Pandemic is played out. It's formulaic at this point. There are much better ones. There are some co-op games it's technically impossible to lose, like Hanabi, or The Game, or Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. As Andrius said, try some with he defector mechanic. It's super fun. another option would be 1p vs all kind of games. Betrayal at House on The Hill is great. I'm a big fan of Spector Ops, but I know a lot of people aren't.

I think this Saturday I might finally get to try Captain Sonar. Me and a few other people have been wanting to play it, the problem is being able to get 8 people together.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2729 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2728, Fenchurch wrote:I like Shadows over Camelot but it saddens me that I think the technically best play for a traitor is:
1. Go fight Lancelot, hang around a few turns putting cards in
2. Leave before completing to ensure tge Lancelot quest fails
3. Get accused and revealed as traitor
4. Spend rest of game sticking trebuchets on the board or stealing from people's hands.

Which is a shame because it's more fun if the traitor can be more subversive in their actions, it's just less effective.

My favourite co-op game is Space Alert... I think the best co-ops create a game situation that couldn't be solved by just one person, either by setting rules on how and what you can say (e.g. Hanabi, Witness, Mysterium) or by adding a time limit (e.g. Space Alert, Fuse).

I don't know that I've played Space Alert. I'll have to look out for that one. I haven't played Witness either, but I've been wanting to. Mysterium is one of my favorites, as is Fuse.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2736 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I'm like the only person I know that doesn't like Sentinels.

But on another note, tomorrow night is one of my game nights! Super excited!

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2746 (isolation #6) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2741, PJ. wrote:
~~~
As far as other Co-Ops I haven't played, Robinson Crusoe(and the soon-to-be released First Martians) is interesting but it seems to be on the complex side(and a lesser point of contention is Ignacy literally asking people how they died when they tell him that they played Robinson Crusoe because no one ever wins); Mech vs Minions is definitely something I want to try; I definitely would want to try Sherlock's Couch Cuddle Detectives but it's very out of print; Gloomhaven but it'd probably end up being a solo game; and Ghost Stories is by Bauza so that immediately makes me interested despite being touted as crushingly difficult.

Has anyone here played Mice and Mystics, The Grizzled, or Aeon's End?

And has anyone heard anything definitive about City of Kings? It looks dope, but I want a little more info before backing stuff, mostly cause I've never backed something on kickstarter before, so i'm nervous.

~~~

Also I had good success with Lords of Waterdeep when you guys recommended that as a good introduction to worker placement, so what would be a good intro to dungeon crawl games? Arcadia Quest? Descent? Claustrophobia?

Mech VS Minions is super fun. I highly recommend it. It's definitely in my list of games to buy.

The Grizzled is hard, like really hard. It's definitely stacked in a way that most group will not win. I don't really mind co-ops like this, because then it becomes a matter of "How bad did we really lose?" And they tend to spark discussion about how to better utilize mechanics in games. My play group is super into co-ops though, so we tend to like games wether we win or not, based on mechanics and game play. Like, when we lose, we're just determined to play again and do better, rather than the whole group feeling down about it. If that's not your group, grizzled will not be a good fit.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2757 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2747, PJ. wrote:How is it with 2 players? I've heard a few people say they really enjoyed it with 2, but BGG has it as not recommended for 2,
If you're referring to The Grizzled, I've yet to play it with just 2 people.
In post 2751, Sudo_Nym wrote:Personally, I like Forbidden Desert as a co-op. Simple enough that new players can join in, complex enough that you can have discussions about what to do. And there's no traitor involved.
I don't really care for Forbidden Desert or Forbidden Island. They both seem to be lacking something for me. Like, they're too light. And I love light games. Filler games, light games and med-light games are right up my alley. But the Forbidden ____ games kind of bore me.

To each their own.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2760 (isolation #8) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I played a great dex co-op tonight. It was really balanced, I think mostly due to it being dexterity instead of strategy based. It's called Dungeon Fighter.

It was great. So each person has a character that has little special abilities, based on colored dice. You work your way through a dungeon, battling monsters along the way. The starting player chooses the die they want, passes the rest, and people choose dice until there are none. Then you take turns bouncing the dice onto a target board for ranges of points. There are modifiers to how you have to do stuff. At one point we had to balance the die on our noses and drop it without using hands.

10/10 would play it again anytime.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2762 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Post by Chickadee »

This past week seemed to be the week of dex games for me. Riff Raff was really good, played it Saturday night.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2763 (isolation #10) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 am

Post by Chickadee »

Any super fun plans for International Table Top Day tomorrow?

I'm aiming for a good 18 hours of gaming. Maybe more....we'll see how long I last haha.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2768 (isolation #11) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2767, hiplop wrote:Honestly anything that sounds cool and they won't pass off as lame? If has a good hook can probably get them to do anything.

Looking for stuff with a dedicated group of under ten then also just like some cool games can play whenever someone random comes over?

I find that most random people, and non gamers tend to like non-games, like The Joking Hazard Game, or Cards Against Humanity. Social deduction games sometimes go over well too. Bang, Coup, Secret Hitler, stuff like those. Concept might be a good one too. Hard to say, as every group is a bit different.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2770 (isolation #12) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2769, hiplop wrote:I absolutely despise CAH and that is what they currently enjoy. I want something to replace that. I want to bring my friends to be gamers, I think theyre capable. Just need to build them up ya know

I would say start with Concept, and maybe some light social deduction.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2772 (isolation #13) » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2771, PJ. wrote:I suggested Mysterium, Bang the Dice Game(which obsoletes Samurai Sword and Bang!), Deus(hippo likes catan), Sushi Go Party, Coup, Love Letter Premium, Shadows over Camelot, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, and Resistance.

Other games that I didn't mention, party games: Spyfall, Insider, Shadow Hunters, Sheriff of nottingham

Smaller(sometimes) group, actual boardgames: 7 Wonders, Mission Red Planet, Jamaica, Captain Sonar(sounds like it could be loud tho), Ticket to ride, Tokaido, San Juan, Takenoko
I've not had much luck with spy fall outside of gaming circles. Pedestrians don't seem to like it in my experience. Makes me sad, because I love it.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2787 (isolation #14) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I have lost track of all the games I've played today. It's been a good day, and I'm still playing haha. Currently between games, waiting around to see if I can jump into something else

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2791 (isolation #15) » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2789, PJ. wrote:Did not like Ra. Game day mostly a bust.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one that didn't like Ra!!

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2818 (isolation #16) » Wed May 17, 2017 9:26 am

Post by Chickadee »

I found this quiz entertaining, but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know...

https://goo.gl/EJ6xgB

I already knew I liked to be a socially manipulative, high conflict gamer, who loves beautiful art.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2830 (isolation #17) » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2827, Chevre wrote:My recommendations SUCK...Game of Life SCREW OFF

Hey, but Superfight is fun. Played it last saturday and it's hilarious.

And Coup is always great. Love a game where I get to kill all my friends. Which is probably why they always team up and kill me first. :lol:

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2832 (isolation #18) » Wed May 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I just got a shipment email for The Captain Is Dead. I've had it on pre-order for months now!

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2864 (isolation #19) » Tue May 30, 2017 1:33 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2863, hasdgfas wrote:I played Burgle Bros yesterday. I had a ton of fun. Would play again.

Looooove Burgle Bros.

Fun fact, theres a help line in the instruction manual, it's Tim Fowler's personal phone number.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2878 (isolation #20) » Wed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2871, PJ. wrote:BRUH I FUCKING PLAYED CAPTAIN SONOR TODAY>>>>IT WAS FUCKING TENSEEEEEEEEE. I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A HARD JOB AND I WAS SWEATING MY NUTS OFF.

WE ALSO PLAYED LETTERS OVER WHITECHAPEL, AND IT WAS A TENSE AF BOARD GAME NIGHT.

I PLAYED IT FOR THE FIRST TIME MONDAY AND HOLY SHIIIIIIIT!!

WE ONLY PLAYED WITH 6 PEOPLE SO IT WAS SUPER INTENSE!

Being the engineer was hard work.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2882 (isolation #21) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:52 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2880, PJ. wrote:On machi koro, I like playing it with my family and when it's time for just a chill game. Tokaido is kinda in that same area but a better game.

Oh has anyone played Above and Below?

Yea. I like it for every once in a while. I own it, and hardly ever bring it out. There's no conflict, and all the fun is in the exploring/storytelling component. It's a fun game. But I feel like once you really build up a good enough engine of explorers, the game is over.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2883 (isolation #22) » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 am

Post by Chickadee »

And about Machi Koro. I don't like the base game, but bright lights big cities is great. My gaming group really enjoys it. I'm starting to lose interest because of a particular person who always ends up jumping in. But in Bright Lights, the set up of cards and how you pick them is different, which makes for a bit more strategy I believe. And I've really seen the game take many turns in a single play though. I highly recommend playing it over the base game.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2884 (isolation #23) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I don't know what I've gotten myself into, but I got roped into being on not one, not two, but three panels for a con in November. I'm flattered, but I hardly consider myself an expert gamer. Apparently others think highly of me though. Wow!

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2889 (isolation #24) » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I'm a long time lover of Burgle Bros. I finally bought it for myself tonight instead of relying on other people to have a copy. I also bought Control. I had never heard of it, but a friend who's collection is in the thousands said it was really good, and I really enjoyed it. So, I'd highly recommend it. The entire game is basically a power struggle for you to win and to keep your opponent down. It's interesting.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2899 (isolation #25) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I had an amazing opportunity tonight and got to play Coup with an entire group of people unfamiliar to playing social deduction games with me. It was great. We played twice, and I won both times. The first time I had 2 cards left. The second time I had two until the only other person coup'd me, then I assassinated him. I had two assassins. I literally spent the entirety of both games talking everyone else at the table into killing each other and leaving me alone. It was wonderful. And this is why my usual board game friends kill me quickly in games.

It was great while it lasted though.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2905 (isolation #26) » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2904, vonflare wrote:best way to teach someone Android:Netrunner? Which faction should I have them play as first game
Don't

But really, if someone does want to learn, and you want to teach, I don't think it matters which faction they play first, as long as both decks are built well for beginners.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2909 (isolation #27) » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:02 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2907, vonflare wrote:
In post 2905, Chickadee wrote:
In post 2904, vonflare wrote:best way to teach someone Android:Netrunner? Which faction should I have them play as first game
Don't
hm?

do you not like netrunner?
I do not

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2972 (isolation #28) » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Post by Chickadee »

All my friends that went to Gen Con are back. Should be lots of new games to play this week. I'm super excited. One of my friends, whoo has exclusive copies of seemingly everything has The Expanse, and he's looking to play it tomorrow. I'll at least watch, if not jump in on that. There's only something like 60 copies in the world.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2978 (isolation #29) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:42 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2977, Untrod Tripod wrote:cooperative thematic game with shifting alliances
Betrayal at house on the hill
Mechs vs Minions (not so much shifting alliances though, but the drafting can make you feel like someone isn't on your side sometimes)
Bandito (cute fun little filler game...ignore the rules on player count. we tested it)
Fuse (again, no shifting alliances, but fun under pressure)
Saboteur

Those kinds of games?

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2980 (isolation #30) » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 am

Post by Chickadee »

Ah, clearly I didn't read well enough hahaha

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2988 (isolation #31) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 2986, PJ. wrote:Lords of waterdeep would be totally fine. Might need the expansion to be good with 5 tho
Base will play 5. But the expansion is more interesting.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #2994 (isolation #32) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Post by Chickadee »

1p podcast is good. A friend of mine does it. He reviews 1 player games, and occasionally talks about other games as well. Tonight we played a demo copy of a game he was sent to review. It was an alright game, nothing grand. I think it was called Hotshot.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3026 (isolation #33) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:17 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3024, shaft.ed wrote:So I kinda liked Pandemic on the first few playthroughs, but after a while it just feels like complicated Solitaire. Is it any better as a multiplayer game?

@DN, I've been watching a bunch of Table Top recently and one thing I would really like is to see what cards people are drawing. Maybe you can do the table cam like in televised poker games for when such a mechanic is relevant. Also I woiuld avoid roleplaying, it's just awkward and sad to watch.
Pandemic is better with multiple people. I actually like Pandemic Iberia a lot more than the base game. It's quite different. You still have all the same triggers (epidemics, outbreaks, stuff like that), but theres a historical element that changes things. The year is 1848, so theres no planes to fly around the board. Theres a train but you have to spend time building the tracks. It really feels like there are different stages of the game that take different strategies. Also the roles aren't as over powered/broken. I recommend trying it out, but again, with people.

Maybe it's just my gaming group but Pandemic becomes very formulaic after a while.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3029 (isolation #34) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:41 am

Post by Chickadee »

I definitely think that cooperative games suffer from the quarterback effect.

Some cooperative games that don't: Hanabi (people either love this or hate this), Mysterium (it can, but it's so abstract that sometimes that is helpful), Mechs Vs Minions (it's an investment though and there's a lot to it. I don't think this would be a good game for your situation, though in other regards I highly recommend it), Dungeon Fighter (cooperative dexterity game).

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is pretty fun every once in a while.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3030 (isolation #35) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Also look for semi co-op games, like Bang and Saboteur.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3032 (isolation #36) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3031, Cabd wrote:
In post 3029, Chickadee wrote:I definitely think that cooperative games suffer from the quarterback effect.

Some cooperative games that don't: Hanabi (people either love this or hate this), Mysterium (it can, but it's so abstract that sometimes that is helpful), Mechs Vs Minions (it's an investment though and there's a lot to it. I don't think this would be a good game for your situation, though in other regards I highly recommend it), Dungeon Fighter (cooperative dexterity game).

Castles of Mad King Ludwig is pretty fun every once in a while.
Meteor is like Hanabi; no talking, but has mechanics to build communications that allow it.
I haven't played that. I'll look for it, since I happen to really like Hanabi.

Bandito is another Co-op game that you can't communicate about what you have. It's a quick little filler game. Very cute, very fun.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3034 (isolation #37) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I just thought of the game I've been trying to remember!!

Magic Maze - this game also solves the quarterback effect. You start and theres no communication. And you play in real time. There's no time to boss everyone around, and the whole table is a frantic dash of hands moving things while you can't talk. It's great. You play in levels, so each level adds a new rule. It's pretty great.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3036 (isolation #38) » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3035, implosion wrote:Yeah I've heard very good things about magic maze and was gonna mention it. Ordered a copy along with my pandemic legacy s2 preorder.

It does have some ways to communicate, but avoids wuarrrrbacking (I refuse to retype that) by having the main way that you communicate being a placard that just says "do something!" That you can put in front of someone.
I like how peacefully you described it. When I've played it, you take that placard and slam it in front of someone multiple times. And theres a lot of banging on the table and pointing and death glares.

Totally fun game. Love it.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3041 (isolation #39) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 am

Post by Chickadee »

Dropmix just came in the mail and omg I’m so excited!

It’s more of a toy, and the game is pretty rudimentary but it’s absolutely amazing.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3043 (isolation #40) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:35 am

Post by Chickadee »

True story. It's straight up techromancy. I know the cards have chips in them and whatnot, but like.....HOW DOES IT WORK.
I don't think I'll ever really be able to wrap my head around it. I played a few times last week, and immediately bought it when I got home. I came out like a month or two ago, and has sold out twice since then. It's amazing.

And oddly, the song combinations always work, no matter what you have on the board. We had a reggae version of Down With The Sickness going the other night.

I really need to get some of the song packs.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3048 (isolation #41) » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:21 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3045, InflatablePie wrote:yass dropmix. watching this match (~15m) got me to pull the trigger on buying this and I have no regrets
In post 3043, Chickadee wrote:I really need to get some of the song packs.
there's a spreadsheet of songs here ("secret cards" at the bottom by default sort) if you haven't seen it, the ones with a date of "November?" apparently have a release of "a couple months after game release" IIRC, but we don't know for sure. I have the 4 playlist packs out now (Ouroboros/Derby/Astro/Mirrors), got my eyes on the Discover packs once I find them at MSRP. Amazon has them up now I think, but you can't buy specific packs so I don't wanna risk getting dupes and dealing with returns.

but yeah I need that September wild and The Mother We Share vocals ASAP, thanks Harmonix for taking more of my money

In post 3044, DeathNote wrote:I just looked it up and I want it.
I'll bring it to SurvivorMeet 2017 if it doesn't get cancelled!
and if you're able to swing it last minute somehow :(

also maybe I'll upload some mixes sometime when I'm not lazy/busy. DropMix thread?
I have it on good authority they're coming out with new cards in February.

I'm just too broke right now to buy anymore cards. I spent way too much money this month, and this game was a huge contributor.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3051 (isolation #42) » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 am

Post by Chickadee »

The game is rather rudimentary, but it's cool enough to keep interest.

I think there were quite a lot of things that worked with Down With The Sickness. The vocal track from Barbara Streisand (Duck Sauce) worked well. At one point we had mixed it with a Bob Marley song too.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3055 (isolation #43) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Ooooo! I love when they do this promotion! I've had my eye on Sonar for a while. I love Captain Sonar, but finding 8 people is hard.

FYI - their board game selection is much better online than it typically is in store.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3064 (isolation #44) » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3063, Faraday wrote:Got gloomhaven and pandemic legacy 2.

Looooord.
Welp. See you in a few months.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3066 (isolation #45) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:11 am

Post by Chickadee »

I went with Ninja Camp, Dixit, and The Dragon & Flagon for the target B2G1 promotion. All games I've played and liked, but did not own. Was super excited to see Ninja Camp in Target's selections. It's a cute quirky light game. And I know someone that one of the cards is based on. Actually it's his copy I usually play.

So, I'm pretty excited for these :]

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3068 (isolation #46) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:08 am

Post by Chickadee »

^ worth it! That's beautiful

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3076 (isolation #47) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I love magic maze. The no talking really makes things interesting. When I played it was really heated, everyone was banging on the tables and trying to get each others attention. It was hilarious. I would always be down to play it. I really need to get my own copy.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3081 (isolation #48) » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Played Pandemic: Rising Tides tonight. I didn't like it all that much. We played twice and lost both times. I would play it again, but I feel like I need to sit down with the rule book myself and just pour over it. I don't feel like I really had a good sense of the mechanics to utilize them well and enjoy the game. It was taught well, it's just vastly different than any other version of Pandemic.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3085 (isolation #49) » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Love mysterious so much. It's still one thats on my wishlist, but I know tons of people with copies, so it's not a need at the moment.

I still love Dixit though. I just got an expansion for Dixit today. Was a belated Christmas gift. It was the Revalations expansion, and omg is ti beautiful. Not just beautiful, but inspiring. It lines up with a lot of thoughts I've had about art lately, and it's really put me in the zone to paint. And some of the cards are embellished with gold leaf, so they're shiny and pretty. It's seriously breathtaking.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3093 (isolation #50) » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:22 am

Post by Chickadee »

Finally played Ex Libris. Beautiful, and quirky game. I loved it. It's definitely going on my wishlist.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3100 (isolation #51) » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am

Post by Chickadee »

Alchemists is great. When I played, one of the other players accidentally knocked his whole screen down and pieces went everywhere and he lost everything. He tried to put in back by memory. He did not win that game.

I too find myself second guessing my deductions there.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3107 (isolation #52) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Post by Chickadee »

A friend of mine is selling a ton of games, and I snatched up Ethnos. Super excited to add it to my collection.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3109 (isolation #53) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Chickadee »

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/244513/ice-cool-2

Whhaaaaaaat!!

This looks amazing. I love Ice Cool! But they really missed an opportunity naming it Cool Edge.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3112 (isolation #54) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Oh damn guys, I have to tell you about this.

So in my group, we play Burgle Bros, pretty much every week. We never tire of it. We switch it up between the bank job and fort knox from time to time. Well tonight, we made our own extremely bastardized version of the game. So we took everything, shuffled all the rooms together (safes and stairs included), and made one big 4x12 floor. We used the wall generator app for the walls like normal, then chose one or two walls at random to move between the sections to make a more interesting layout. There are pictures that can come later, maybe tomorrow when I'm not as tired. We still used all three guards, and just decided that movement for all of them was the same. We started it at 3. Since all the guards are on one floor, we randomized which guard moves, and designated them as 1, 2, and 3. For this, we actually broke into another game to get some maples that we wouldn't confuse with our character pieces. We used Deep Sea Adventure diver maples, if anyone is curious. We also busted into Roll For It to get color coordinated dice for each guard destination. We did away with the movement decks and instead used dice to determine location. That meant that no one location was safe from being previously visited. We ended up using a D12 and a D4 together to determine destination, and a D3 (we used an app, so it had a D3, but a D6 could easily be used as well assigning 2 numbers to each gaurd) to determine which guard moved. Every time a safe was cracked, all guard movement went up. Any time an alarm was triggered, all destinations were changed to the alarm, and they all start converging, the first one to reach it will turn it off, and then you assign new locations, first for the guard that is going through the movement phase, then for subsequent guards based in number order (thats where the 1-3 designation came in handy again). We treated Atriums as foyers. If walkways were revealed via move, it ended all movement and you had to draw an event regardless of how many actions you had already taken. Once all safes were cracked, all guards moved after a turn.

I'm sure I might be forgetting some things, but wow was it amazing. It really sparked us to try and think of other crazy layouts and modes we could come up with. Let me know if this sparks any questions and I'll let you know what we decided. It was really wild.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3113 (isolation #55) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:06 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Oh and just for the heck of it, because we had one person show up and was just hanging around we opened it up to 5 players. Because why not.

I will say, because it was so bastardized, we did have to improvise a bit. Like, theres not enough safe crack tokens for instance.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3119 (isolation #56) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Post by Chickadee »

my list would go:
Mysteruim > Burgle Bros > Photosynthesis > Takenoko > Santorini > Pandemic > Carcassonne > Ticket to Ride Europe > Dead of Winter

I will say though, I really do not enjoy Dead of Winter. Anything not in the list I either haven't played or don't have much opinion on.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3124 (isolation #57) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:46 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3120, inspiratieloos wrote:Also, buy Pandemic Legacy instead of Pandemic. Legacy contains the complete base game, so you can just play it without the legacy rules a few times for the vanilla pandemic experience and then play legacy.
Spoiler:
False. The board is different. Yes, you can get the sense of play, but the board being slightly different is a big deal to me.

Spoiler: currently playing through season 1
Last night during our campaign, we got a new character and my friends let drunk me name him. His name is Buster Moove. I found it hilarious.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3127 (isolation #58) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Definitely

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3144 (isolation #59) » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:16 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3128, shaft.ed wrote:god I hope he's a dispatcher

and every time he dispatches "Dont just sit there, Buster Moove"
Nah. The person that started with dispatcher spent a lot of time abroad in Japan, and is obsessed with asian culture, and thought he looked korean, so his name is Jun-Seo Kim. Boring.

Spoiler:
But he's family with Buster Move. I decided they were gay lovers.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3153 (isolation #60) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3150, chamber wrote:following his link, it appears to be a table top designed for gaming, felt padded etc. I just don't know what utility that actually provides over a normal table.
Well, they also have raised edges, so dice never fall off. Also I have played on some tables where dice just hit the table and go flying depending on the surface. So The felt helps absorb some of that impact. And they come with cup holders not he sides of the tables so you don't have drinks near the games.

It's all kind of frivolous stuff that the tables provide, but it's little frivolous things that are considered luxuries for gamers.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3163 (isolation #61) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 am

Post by Chickadee »

I've found it easier to take my board games to places with bigger tables.

Like pizza shops and local comic book stores that host game nights. Tables galore!

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3170 (isolation #62) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:46 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I have not, but I hear nothing but great things about Charterstone, from people I really trust about gaming.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3209 (isolation #63) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:46 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3208, Porochaz wrote:So my 3 characters got off to a good start, an event made them lose their food. Fortunately I salvaged enough to feed one of them... He went out exploring, found no food but did get injured climbing a ladder. The next day, 1 of the 3 ran away due to hunger, the other died due to hunger. My injured sole survivor tried to guard the base at night and got badly wounded by advanced raiders. The worst card in the game at that point, anyway he died. Almost every dice roll I failed... Everyone died by night 2. My luck was exceptionally bad.
Good job. You did the thing. Way to go.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3216 (isolation #64) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:26 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Just finished our first game in May of Pandemic Legacy season 1, and it was the most painful loss yet. We were literally a turn away from winning, and we ran out of yellow cubes. It was devastating. Like, we just stared at the board in shock for several minutes. One of my friends was just holding her face and breathing heavily. Another was laughing, because what the fuck else could you do.

It was demoralizing.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3218 (isolation #65) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:34 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3217, inspiratieloos wrote:We had a similar experience a few weeks ago. We'd been breezing through the game up to then. Though in our case we could see the probable loss coming some time before. We made some mistakes so we know things to do better.

Spoiler: Pandemic Legacy
Also, adding some military bases to the board in regions that are actually relevant will probably help.
Spoiler:
We had military bases in all but one region (the bottom middle/Africa). We were set up on the next turn to go and build a base and win. We'd already met 2 other goals. That's what makes it so devastating.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3223 (isolation #66) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3220, BBmolla wrote:Any other party/social deduction games? Group enjoys Secret Hitler/2rooms+Boom/Mafia, but is looking for something new.
Spyfall
Bang! the dice game
Fake artist goes to new york
When I dream
Sabotuer

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3241 (isolation #67) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am

Post by Chickadee »

Played The Shipwreck Arcana last night, and it was pretty great. It's a sharp game. It's fairly Hanabi-esque in that it's cooperative with hidden information. It's got some deduction to it. Not social deduction, but actual honest to god just deduction of clues. It's definitely going on my wishlist.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3250 (isolation #68) » Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Oh dear god. I am traumatized and emotionally scarred, as well as mentally exhausted. One of our party for Pandemic Legacy season 1 moved away. She's back in town this week to wrap some things up, so we decided to marathon a bit to try and get further along/finish.

WE PLAYED FOR 12 HOURS TODAY. We got to the big twist. We experienced so much. It was a roller coaster of a day.

12 HOURS.............................................

We didn't finish. At most we have 4 games left. We still have 2 months to go.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3266 (isolation #69) » Thu May 31, 2018 8:31 am

Post by Chickadee »

Now Boarding and Wok Star arrived last week. I've played Wok Star before, but I'm hoping I get to play one of them tonight. I think a few of my other firends will be pretty excited about Now Boarding (because shiny new Tim Fowers game omg). I really should read through the rules or watch the videos, but I'm too lazy, so we're all gonna learn it together toniiiiight.

Should be fun.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3267 (isolation #70) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:44 am

Post by Chickadee »

I did get to play now boarding last night. It was incredibly difficult. It was easy enough to learn and set up, but impossible to win. I think we'll have to play it a lot to really find the optimal strategies. We did much better on our second game, but still lost.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3272 (isolation #71) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 am

Post by Chickadee »

I've played Now Boarding several times now, and can confidently say that it's extremely difficult. It's fun though. It's very hectic, which I enjoy. The hectic nature is what I enjoy most about simultaneous real time game play.

I need to sit down sometime this week and figure out the rules for Wok Star.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3277 (isolation #72) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Post by Chickadee »

My birthday happens to fall on board game night. So that's cool.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3279 (isolation #73) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:35 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3278, Pine wrote:HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS THREAD EXISTED
I HONESTLY DONT KNOW

Also my group is hoping to
finally
finish Pandemic Legacy Season 1 tonight. Fingers crossed. Scheduling has been freakin awful with our group.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3281 (isolation #74) » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 am

Post by Chickadee »

I'm almost done with the first box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I highly recommend it. I hear the second box is alright, but that the third box is amazing! Really looking forward to playing them through.

The other night, we got a 50 on one of them. We were super proud of ourselves. Still didn't beat Sherlock, but it's never really been high on our priority list.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3286 (isolation #75) » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3284, zoraster wrote:
In post 3281, Chickadee wrote:I'm almost done with the first box of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. I highly recommend it. I hear the second box is alright, but that the third box is amazing! Really looking forward to playing them through.

The other night, we got a 50 on one of them. We were super proud of ourselves. Still didn't beat Sherlock, but it's never really been high on our priority list.
Is this similar to the game that I played as a kid on CD-ROM?

Yea, pretty similar!

The reason, btw, that the second box is only alright is because it's fan-made mysteries, so things sometimes don't quite add up, or they get weird.

_______

Tonight we played
Forbidden Sky
(it completes the Forbidden [Games} trilogy). It was great. Way better than
Forbidden Island
and
Forbidden Desert
. The art is familiar, and and the general rules of {do up to 4 actions, bad things, panic level rising} is familiar, but the gameplay and complexity was a lot better. Still not a heavy game, but it was nicely thought out.

Also played
Welcome To...
, which I absolutely loved! It was a cute little game. It play x number of people, which is great. I will really consider keeping an eye out for this game. It's essentially a roll and write game, but instead of rolling you're flipping cards and choosing combos. Playing competitively there isn't a whole lot of pressure to keep up with what your opponent is doing. It's actually pretty hard to do, because there are just so many choices. So it's really just figuring out your own puzzle while you build a neighborhood. It can be pretty challenging. I really enjoyed it. Even without keeping track of your opponent, the game I played tonight ended up being a very close game (91-100, in my favor)

And
The Shipwreck Arcana
made it to the table as well. I've played it before, and really enjoyed it, so we introduced it to some friends unfamiliar with it. One of my friends picked it up at GenCon. It's a deduction game, trying to figure out the numbers people have in their hands. It's cooperative and there are clues out on the table as the only method of communicating what's in your hand. The art is beautiful, and the play is great. I'll probably pick his up at some point too.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3288 (isolation #76) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 am

Post by Chickadee »

I love the Betrayal games so much. Glad you liked them.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3296 (isolation #77) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Same. Betrayal is really really fun when it works and the haunt is good. It's best when the traitor knows how to play the game, since the heroes can't really help them with stuff specific to their side. But even when its not a mechanically fair haunt, I still find it fun. One of my favorites was a game where I was the traitor and my turn was pretty passive. I didn't really do much. I was a tree. I just existed. And I won. By all means, I should not have won. But I did.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3299 (isolation #78) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:28 am

Post by Chickadee »

I find in the original one that some basic house rules are necessary. Baulder's gate is solid as far as rules go though.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3301 (isolation #79) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3300, PJ. wrote:I think the one I'm referring to is widow walk
That the expansion for the original base game. It had some cool stuff in it.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3303 (isolation #80) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Continued playing through GenCon loot today.

Played a really neat game, that I really enjoyed. It's called Team Up!. It's a cooperative game based around packing a pallet. I would say it's a mash up of Tetris/reverse-Jenga/Hanabi. You don't technically lose, you just do less than perfect. You're playing against a set score track. There a deck of cards that makes you play either any block of a certain color, or any block of a certain shape family. It's a very simple game, but at the same time very challenging to actually do well.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3327 (isolation #81) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:34 am

Post by Chickadee »

Huge Black Friday sale on Miniature Market btw

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3330 (isolation #82) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 am

Post by Chickadee »

How good? Because I do love some Betrayal.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3331 (isolation #83) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:21 am

Post by Chickadee »

Oh damn, I was just reading some reviews. I'm pretty sure I have to get Betrayal Legacy now. I didn't read a single bad review. I just need to find a group to play through it with.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3356 (isolation #84) » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:35 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3351, implosion wrote:
In post 3350, PJ. wrote:game room sounds like chess and billards, yeah. Also still sounds like a boring as shit theme. I hope they just bring you into a room with a plastic table and give you one of those escape room board games.
Hey man, some of those things are goddamn amazing. We played the wizard of oz exit game at Toronto meet and I still remember basically the entire sequence of puzzles because it was so well designed. I’ve also generally enjoyed the destructive ones I’ve done.
I still think about the Wizard of Oz one, and tell everyone to play it.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3361 (isolation #85) » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Post by Chickadee »

If anyone is looking for a chill filler game, I recommend looking at Second Chance. It's all about doodling. Everyone gets a grid and shapes are flipped over and you're doodling in shapes to fill your grid until you don't have space anymore. The person with the fewest empty spaces wins. Honestly it was so chill and it was satisfying as it's own puzzle that it's still fun wether you win or lose. Honestly I could just have a whole puzzle book of grids and shapes and doodle the day away on my own.

I'm a sucker for anything even remotely art related that actually makes you doodle or sculpt or act something out.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3369 (isolation #86) » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:42 am

Post by Chickadee »

I think Sagrada and Azul are both awesome games. I like the drafting aspect in Azul, and think it handles it better than a lot of other drafting games. Also design goes a long way with me, and the pieces look like candy and I want to eat them. I will say the rulebook was a bit cumbersome, but my game group heavily relies on BGG when we have any doubts about anything. Or we just call the designer of the game....but that's more just the connections some of our people have with some of our commonly played games. There are a lot of game designers really active on BGG to answer any questions btw.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3421 (isolation #87) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:14 am

Post by Chickadee »

I've played Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and 2, and just got invited to replay them, so I'm trying to prepare myself for the emotional rollercoaster all over again. Really just Season 2 that got me....still not over it. I was THE person, if you've played through Season 2 you know what I mean.

One person in the new group has played through season one. She's about 4 months into Season 2 and it's been about a year and a half since her group got together, so they've just given up on it. Two of them have not played either seasons. The group I originally played with has all moved away, one by one, so this will potentially be a group I can play Season 3 with when they finally get it out. Supposedly it comes out Q4 this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3423 (isolation #88) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 am

Post by Chickadee »

Yeah, sometimes you just get a bad draw. Are you liking it though?

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3426 (isolation #89) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 am

Post by Chickadee »

Oh nooo. Who is judging these games, is it your wife? Maybe we can help you find something better. Tell us what elements are desired.

Some easy games off the top of my head:
Catch The Moon
The game has tons of tiny ladders and you're stacking them in creative ways based on what a die tells you.
Dixit
(more fun with expansion sets, of which there are many)It's like Balderdash but with weird pictures.
Ice Cool
Dexterity game where you're flicking pieces. The theme is penguins in high school and one penguin is trying to catch the others, while the others try to go get fish to eat.
Machi Koro
Engine builder, on your turn roll a die and activate anything of that number (just do what the card says). Pretty simple mechanics, the fun comes in when you start building up a bigger city and lots of things can activate.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3428 (isolation #90) » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 am

Post by Chickadee »

There actually are rules for two player Dixit, but I wouldn't recommend it. Basically there are a number of randomly drawn cards from the deck included. With these parameters, I would check out:

Second Chance
- super chill doodle game, takes about 10 minutes and is literally the most easy and relaxed thing ever.
Catch the moon
- recommending again because I do think it fits the criteria. The whole rule book is one page and it's mostly pictures. And at the end you get a cool looking stack of ladders.
Welcome To...
- It's more like solving your own personal puzzle. It might have too many rules, because you do need to know what each kind of card does (there are maybe 5 or 6 kinds of cards), and it's technically competitive but it feels like solving your own little puzzle kind of like sudoku. No point system, just trying to fill the most of your town that you can.
Tsuro
- very zen like, you're just laying tiles and moving pieces on a board. No point system at all.

I'm not that familiar with simpler word games that would fit these boundaries, but I'm sure something exists.

I definitely think you should look into board game groups. There are a few on Meetup in your area. You might also check with local comic/game shops like Miniature Market, and the one in the loop if it's still there (it's been a few years for me haha). Many game stores have a game night nowadays. And I believe there's even a board game cafe somewhere downtown if i remember right.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3460 (isolation #91) » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I've played Pandemic Legacy S1 and S2, and am currently on a second play through S1 with a different group, with the idea that we'll all play through S2 as well, and then they'll be caught up when S3 hit sometimes this year (hopefully). My group for S1 and S2 has scattered to different parts of the world.

I also played Mechs vs Minions, which was amazing. And I'd love to try and play Betrayal Legacy, but my problem is finding a group. Most of the people I regularly play with would not be down for it...despite literally everyone saying that it's great. I really liked the original Betrayal,and LOVE Betrayal and Baulder's gate. So I know I'll love the legacy.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3574 (isolation #92) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:05 pm

Post by Chickadee »

So I got a Burgle Bros tattoo

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3576 (isolation #93) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:55 pm

Post by Chickadee »

In post 3575, Vi wrote:
In post 3574, Chickadee wrote:So I got a Burgle Bros tattoo
Stupid but honest question: On your body, or...?
Yeesss

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3620 (isolation #94) » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:19 am

Post by Chickadee »

Jiffy and I spent a good while play testing Burgle Bros 2, to send feedback to Tim Fowers.

It's a very hard game.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3623 (isolation #95) » Sat May 30, 2020 12:44 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Betrayal Legacy

And I know you already mentioned it but I really liked Pandemic Legacy 1&2 - particularly 2.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3624 (isolation #96) » Sat May 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Honestly Legacy games are still kind of becoming a thing imo

They're getting popular and we're seeing a lot of good ones, but the genre as a whole is not that big yet.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3640 (isolation #97) » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Post by Chickadee »

When I was taught Burgle Bros, we'd always had 4 players. It took me years to find out you take out cards when building the guard decks if you have fewer players.

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #3735 (isolation #98) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:26 pm

Post by Chickadee »

Dominion was my introduction to deck building games and it made me not want to play any deck building games ever again.

I was happy someone talked me into Aeons End though.

But man you've really lost me if you start to describe a game and say deck building.

Return to “The Arcade”