I just wanted a meal after reading 130 pages of Hegal

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

I just wanted a meal after reading 130 pages of Hegal

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Post by CooLDoG »

So I wake up at 9. I smoke a cig, drink a coffee. Drink another coffee and open Phenomenology of spirit. I read a page every two minutes. At about 10:30, another cig, another coffee. 12:00, cig. 12:30, microwave veggies, cig, put cheese, coffee, cig, read while eat. 1:10, bike to campus. Print attendance sheet, read, 2:00, cig to prep for teaching, and teach. 3:15, cig, read, 130 pages done. THe reason chapter is read in one day. Talk to people and shoot the the shit, 4:00-6:30, philosophy of science class on hard maths (I'll send you papers if interested) about the theory of models, multiple realizability of phenomena and idealization of mathematical models.

Now keep this in mind. I read 130 pages of one of the hardest books ever written by man on the nature of what it means to be human. What the nature of self-consciousness is, what it means to be conscious of nature. How simply recognizing that one has virtues does not then entail the good (figure that one out). How simply realizing that you are acting is not sufficient to make you more than an animal and other such interesting asides. To put it bluntly, to understand 1/3rd of this text you have to know Kant, Plato, Aristotle, the skeptics, and modern epistemology and metaphysics. I'm doing this on 600 calories, cigarettes, and coffee. This is how I like it. The slight hunger makes me read harder. Teaching was on lock-down. Logic is easy, I can do that tripping and a joint deep. I accomplished some shit today, and I just want a meal, a beer, to go to the store on a full stomach, and bike two miles to home. Is that too much to fucking ask of the world? Can I not make this desire real?

So I roll up to this place: https://www.thesagerabbit.com/ First impression: Overly friendly waitress, to be expected. Its the south. I ask to sit alone at the bar. Bar tender is annoyed. I will soon find out why. Order a PBR. Get menue. See $12 for gnocchi. Now I'm half Italian, so I 100% know what the hell I am getting into. I have made this by hand in multiple ways. It is what it is, and it is not what it is not. For $12 of a potato based pasta I expect a hearty entree in either a red ragu type sauce (you can do bolognese if desired, but I think with meat you over power the flavor of the pasta. White sauce not recommended, but ehh) OR as traditional and I like it, "in brodo", in broth with some parmigan on top. Fucking simple really. You boil the shit. You have either hot broth or sauce on hand, you combine the two. You done. very simple, like most Italian food.

So I sit around, I see waiters telling each other what needs to be done. The overly friendly waitress is the boss of people, saying (bread for 4, bread for 2, bread for 5), all of which cost the same price, yet the portions are apparently different. I see waiters half mixing drinks, and leaving the rest to the bartender, while he is sitting there glaring at the overly friendly captain. He says to one, "this is supposed to be double strained, you don't put it in the glass yet, because it[strainer doesn't fit]", not being able to take this bullshit I head out for a smoke after half a beer. Come back, finish up reading the not-so-good commentary at the back of the hegal book and am greeted with my food.

$12: 8 fried tater tots with some oil at the bottom of the plate. Fuck. You fried some goddamn pasta didn't you. You fucking boiled that shit. Then you fucking fried it like a moron. Buring the fuckers on the edges, because you fucking fried them. Then you passed off some oil on the bottom for "white truffle sauce". Yeah fucking right, for 12 bones its imitation. I know what I'm fucking getting. Fried fucking gnocchi. Jesus H. Christ. I'd do a lot of shit for 12 dollar, eating my hat would be one of them, and it taste better than fried fucking pasta. What is this, an asian joint? You don't fucking do that. Come on. God almighty save their souls.

Tl;DR ask if your gnocchi is fried if in the south, because fuck it. That sucks after a long day. don't pay $12 for tater tots like me. fuck.
after a wank.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Post by Porkens »

quit smoking
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

This explains a lot actually!

What a shitty end to the day.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:05 am

Post by CooLDoG »

I told you it would.
after a wank.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:34 am

Post by shaft.ed »

white truffle sauce is bullshit
you should know better
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 am

Post by CooLDoG »

ikr
after a wank.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:45 am

Post by shaft.ed »

look at me blaming the victim

now i feel bad
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Post by T S O »

Reading Phenomenology of Spirit for that long while still managing to misspell the author's name must have been quite the undertaking
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 am

Post by Who »

Why is Hegel so influential given how incomprehensible he is?

In other fields, being comprehensible helps in being influential, but it isn't 100% necessary because it's possible t use something without understanding it. Usually there is some result where even if you don't understand the rest of it, you can black box the result. In the sciences you can compare the result to the real world and see that it is falsifiable and predicts things and keeps being right, so even if you don't understand the result you can recognize that it is useful. In math, although there's no experimental verification, provided a proof is understood by a few experts and generally agreed to be right, I can then freely use the theorem. I don't need to know why a^n+b^n+c^n has no integer solutions for n>2 to apply it. (Although using a theorem with an incomprehensible proof would be considered sloppy) Even then, if it's too incomprehensible it won't be worth anything. Mochizuki claims to have proven the abc conjecture but nobody understands the proof so we all generally agree it's wrong. (When you look at his work it's lots of trivial statements followed by statements which cannot be concluded, it's generally agreed among people who have attempted to read it that he screwed up somewhere) Atiyah claims to have proven the Riemann hypothesis but nobody understands the proof so we all generally agree it's not even wrong.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
crusty
crusty
Townie
crusty
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:57 am

Post by crusty »

I'm an analytic philosopher. Just think: instead of wasting your time reading Hegel, you could have been doing something productive with your time, like reading Bertrand Russell.
T S O
T S O
Survivor
T S O
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Post by T S O »

I'm definitely much more sympathetic to analytic philosophy than continental philosophy, but it seems like the latter definitely has something going for it insofar as it manages to convey the complexity of certain topics (God in the abstract) in a manner that analytic philosophy can only sketch lines around.

That said reading Russell is infinitely more enjoyable than Hegel. Let us consider a teapot in space...
"i have the sickest grossest feeling that even if it's my lynch today, my townflip still won't lead to a tso lynch, and then he'll find some bullshit way to reason either shooting or lynching gm tomorrow because if there's anyone who can strongarm a mislynch despite his reads or cases being proved wrong time and again it's tso"
-Marquis
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:48 am

Post by CooLDoG »

In post 9, crusty wrote:I'm an analytic philosopher. Just think: instead of wasting your time reading Hegel, you could have been doing something productive with your time, like reading Bertrand Russell.
Dude, some of your stuff is a real slog too though. Russell is a finer example. I had to read some science stuff, Kuhn and Lakatos are bearable. Hemple is trash.

Almost done with 15 pages of shit to send off for Hegel slog. I wish I had more secondary lit. I might add a couple tomorrow morning.
after a wank.
CooLDoG
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
CooLDoG
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:17 am

Post by CooLDoG »

And I'm doing my read-through of this garbage. Hegel is a nightnare. Never read him. It will steal your soul. Kant and Schopenhaur is better. ANd if I ever want a hot German take on Religion, I sure as hell ain't going to Hegel for it. Either Nietzsche, Kierkegaard (not German, same tradition though), or Feuerbach.
after a wank.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 am

Post by Who »

CooLDoG wrote:And I'm doing my read-through of this garbage. Hegel is a nightnare. Never read him. It will steal your soul. Kant and Schopenhaur is better. ANd if I ever want a hot German take on Religion, I sure as hell ain't going to Hegel for it. Either Nietzsche, Kierkegaard (not German, same tradition though), or Feuerbach.
Your words and your actions (Or at least, your other words about your actions) say very different things.

Though Crusty is correct, why would you want any continental take when you could instead be reading an analytic take. If you want a German take then go read Frege.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?

Return to “General Discussion”