newbie 1905: pictures from my phone (GAME OGRE !!!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1525 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1523, u r a person 2 wrote:lol
jk
i am the cop game is over you can post
Jailkeeper soft spotted
I'll be killing you tonight
:twisted:
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1526 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

damn duck too gud

can't win
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #1527 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Post by schadd_ »

:0
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1528 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler: i thot my integer set symbol was pretty

d3 final vote count

pinturicchio (3):
the worst, u r a person 2, foodcoats

not voting (2):
PvtUrist, pinturicchio

with 5 alive, it took 3 to lynch

mod notes
  • :0
[/area]
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1529 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Post by schadd_ »

pinturicchio has been lynched! he was a
town lover!

the worst has died romeo-and-juliet style! he was a
duckling lover!

PvtUrist has been endgamed! they were a
grief-stricken vanilla townie!

foodcoats has been endgamed! he was an
awe-struck vanilla townie!

u r a person 2 has survived and won ! they were a
mafia informed ultra-godfather!
yyottacat loses posthumously because of the wild quickhammer (thus making urap2 double-win)
Last edited by schadd_ on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1530 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Post by schadd_ »

sorry wait i have just received a text from penguinpower and he says i messed something up
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1531 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Post by schadd_ »

ok, hold on. sorry that is not the correct ending of the game
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1532 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Post by schadd_ »

pinturicchio has been lynched! he was a
mafia goon!

the worst survives and wins! he was a
vanilla duckling!

PvtUrist survives and wins! they were a
vanilla townie!

foodcoats survives and wins! he was a
vanilla townie!

u r a person 2 survives and wins! they were a
town cop!
free darius mccollum

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1533 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Post by the worst »

Yeeet! Well played town. Amazing modding schadd_ <3
pintu/tw lovers is probably slightly too real

post-game ramble coming shortly
--
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1534 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Post by schadd_ »

dead thread! viewtopic.php?f=90&t=77948
mafia thread: to be released in (expired on 2018-12-18 19:20:00) unless i hear an objection from either mafia player

thank you to replacements for your promptness !!!!
free darius mccollum

u r a person 2
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1535 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Post by u r a person 2 »

SCHADD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thank you for modding!
foodcoats
foodcoats
Goon
foodcoats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1536 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Post by foodcoats »

Good game all!
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1537 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Post by schadd_ »

thank you to penguinpower for quickly catching the problem with my endgame ! !! that could have been a huge problem !!!!
free darius mccollum

NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1538 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Huh, guess having daychat doesn’t help with confidence sometimes. I should’ve known. (also that fake ending)

Congrats to literally everyone except me, because I honestly think everyone else played a better game than me.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1539 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Post by the worst »

Firstly I'm sorry for the left of centre mechanical call d1. I can see why it was pretty vexing to a lot of people on the list and why it generated a lot of heat.

In hindsight there were a few different ways to tackle the situation and I think from a theoretical point of view CheekyTeeky's suggestion is definitely the most frequently mechanically sound (think through who the best lynch is, then push for a claim). But like in practice I think I would have ended up pushing URAP2 to claim over Jumble and the game would have gone completely differently.

But yeah, still: if I had the time and thought through it, I could have recommended a better general response to this kind of situation. I think as a player, what I suggested isn't AWFUL, and is defensible. I'm just disappointed in myself that as an IC I didn't take the time to crunch through what the best recommendation was.

Anyway just some thoughts about individual players. If anyone wants to talk about or ask me about anything please feel free.

Also like if any of this does not feel relevant or you disagree w how I'm reading your playstyle please reach out bc I'd love to talk more... I'm lonely.....

NotAJumbleOfNumbers

Sorry about your day one lynch here; I think you played pretty well and your meta is starting to take shape a little. So secretly I was also following Newbie 1902 (your scumgame) and had a pretty strong feeling that your alignment in that game and this game were different. Unfortunately I didn't really have an opportunity to act on that, and the only player I trusted to level with me on your meta/who could read you without cold-reading the thread turned out to be scum. :<

But seriously, welcome back to mafia and I hope you're enjoying it even more this time round. I think the fact you stuck around for this game in spite of its length and difficulty to follow was seriously cool.

u r a person 2

So I love the name and positive energy. I mentioned that during the game and I totally wasn't trying to pocket you. I think the mafia world is always too short on people who treat other people well so it's a pleasure to have you on board. :D

Your cop skillz were also absolutely dynamite this game; getting two guilties is at random is something like a 5.71% chance??? and the way that you analysed and crunched the correct information in this game to pick the correct targets was absolutely terrific.

{Yyotta, Jumble} was always the best pool to cop n1 (outlier of Urist, but he was also very active). Because they were always going to be One Alignment Or The Other and there was not enough of the specific skill in the player list to read them correctly. Then picking your n2 target off bad associatives with your red check in a 60 page game was awesome. You should be super proud of yourself because not many people can pull this kind of stuff off.

The only thing I'd really be wary of is double checking your language as an investigative role with information. This is pretty hard because you also can't sound 'too forced'. But when you say something like "I think XXX is town" or "I'm pretty sure XXX is town", you will convince people that you've cleared that player. It's always handy to throw in something like "I'm townreading pinturicchio but it's not 100% confident" if that makes sense?

In a recent game I played, on day two the cop cleared the player who was night killed. On day two he said "I am reading that [night killed person] and the worst are the same alignment". The cop was killed night two. Luckily he was correct, but he hadn't cleared me!!

foodcoats

It's kinda hard to fault you and provide a whole lot of feedback; you were super obvious town and played well. In my heart of hearts I really hoped that your day one vt claim actually came from a town power role, but I kinda knew it wasn't likely. :P

Yeah the main thing I'd say is that claiming vt unprompted day one can be problematic later. Like this game, it did close the TPR pool down quite a lot.

I feel like we're probably pretty similar in a few ways w our playstyles but I think your intuition is probably stronger. Your early alarm at the easy townreads on volxen and like your great labelled picture meme wrt lynching Yyotta turned out to be some alarmingly good reads. I also liked how you scumread me similarly to Vork after the d1 shenanigans but pretty quickly came around and realised it probably wasn't scum indicative.

Yeah.. well played over all. I'll be keen to see how your style develops. :>

YyottaCat

I always struggle a little more with giving scum feedback sorry. I think you've got some parts of your game down pat (don't over-focus on post content because it kills tonality, etc.) and when you were here I think you sounded OK. The main things which I think you'll develop more over time are like

- understanding how other people are thinking. I think some of your posts kinda felt like they were on a very different wavelength from the rest of the list, which made it harder to engage with you sometimes.

- just stay active and talk to people. It's a skill that's a lot easier to develop as town and then bring back to your scumgame, but if you're not feeling confident or like you know what to post next, just try striking a conversation with someone about something (ask them questions, or ask for their opinion on a thought you're having!) and see if it gets you more excited for the game.

I'm wary of the fact you're quite keen to improve so hopefully this makes sense and gives you a couple of things to work on. Let me know if you'd like to chat about anything specific.

Vorkuta

So reading a couple of your other games I can see your style here was pretty different. I found your earlier hesitancy to talk through things in detail & engage on your reads looked pretty wolfy; but then like once we started talking that one night and Urist was there too and you admitted that you were a bit distracted by the idea I could be "powerwolfing" it kinda hit me that a bit of your play here was even more towny than your usual play is.

It's like an ongoing struggle keeping paranoia in check in mafia games. It's something I'm kinda slowly getting better at myself. But I think the best piece of advice I can give is if someone reaches out to you, respond assuming/pretending that they're town - there's a >50% chance that assumption is correct. And if it isn't, you're a lot more likely to catch onto something feeling wrong.

If they are town and they're just looking for someone to work with you can end up with some really positive vibes (like the you+Urist+me moment we had). If they are scum who's looking to get something out of you, it often feels quite... slimy if that makes sense. Like keep an eye out for some kind of ~~agenda~~ in someone's reach-out but don't always assume there is an agenda. Ultimately tho if someone reaches out to you and you reach back and there's just no connection/chemistry, it's pretty safe to resort back to your earlier read.

I say this as someone who values real time interactions very highly as town. I think they're very hard to fake with a level of integrity when you're scum. But for what it's worth, after the talk with you and Urist that night I didn't really see myself lynching you.

I hope this makes some kinda sense. It's a bit abstract but if I'm reading the changes of your playstyle correctly I think/hope this might resonate a little.

PvtUrist

It was a pleasure to meet you dude, you're a really cool guy. :> similar to URAP2 I really vibe your positive energy and hope you stick around and play lots more. The road block you will run into (everyone does) is that niceness is often misread for scum pocketing. It should not be but it is. I think it's a cruddy habit which all of us fall into at some point or another.

I also get nostalgic a lot and like to impart words of wisdom which people have imparted on me too so BE READY: there's no harm in being a little bit more confident in your reads. The pace of day one was fairly breakneck but I think if you'd been the one who'd come out and admitted you were worried I was tEh ScUm GoD before Vork we would have had a pretty solid 3p townblock from that exchange.

Also it's OK to voice your own opinions & ask questions at the same time. If people just respond with unabashed lip service that's either +scum equity or someone thinking like you. but it's another piece of shiny shiny information which can help you get into that person's head.

I think the main reason I started to worry you were scum at the end was because of the fact you were a bit hesitant early on. Like there was a tinfoil world in my head where you were hedging through day one until other people contributed and then strategically borrowing their more nuanced thoughts if that makes sense. But I was also leaning town on both scum at this point so y'know
(╥﹏╥)
I had to incorrectly scumread SOMEONE.......
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1540 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Post by the worst »

also quickly

@Cheeky, your replace in was radiant. I was very very slightly worried you might be a TPR so threw late day shade at you in case people thought we might keep pushing each other. When you told me my sr on you was shite I agreed & realised you were a VT. but huge welcome back. you're a player i admire quite a lot and I think you were a great influence on this game.

@pintu you are as smooth as a Chilean pinot noir.... never trusting you again :lol:

@the worst dude you're meant to scumread scum and townread town what game are you playing?! if this isn't evidence to the notion that ICs aren't explicitly good players idk what is
--
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1541 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 1537, schadd_ wrote:thank you to penguinpower for quickly catching the problem with my endgame ! !! that could have been a huge problem !!!!
In all honesty, it was my network of bots. They deserve all of the praise.
<(") | (")>
foodcoats
foodcoats
Goon
foodcoats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1542 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Post by foodcoats »

In post 1537, schadd_ wrote:thank you to penguinpower for quickly catching the problem with my endgame ! !! that could have been a huge problem !!!!
LOL I thought you were just trolling.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1543 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Post by the worst »

Schadd..... I tried to lynch your TPR as town on d1 again.... thoughts?.......
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1544 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1542, foodcoats wrote:
I townread this reaction so much
--
foodcoats
foodcoats
Goon
foodcoats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1545 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Post by foodcoats »

In post 1544, the worst wrote:
In post 1542, foodcoats wrote:
I townread this reaction so much
Haha I even for a minute thought I'd hammered us into a loss and I didn't understand the newbie setup.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1546 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 1543, the worst wrote:Schadd..... I tried to lynch your TPR as town on d1 again.... thoughts?.......
i thought you were pushing townsfolk pretty indiscriminately d1
free darius mccollum

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1547 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1546, schadd_ wrote:
In post 1543, the worst wrote:Schadd..... I tried to lynch your TPR as town on d1 again.... thoughts?.......
i thought you were pushing townsfolk pretty indiscriminately d1
Hmm good point he was collateral damage
--
foodcoats
foodcoats
Goon
foodcoats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1548 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Post by foodcoats »

I'm not sure if I learned anything this game... other than finding the loop to ID URAP2 as cop. If that hadn't happened I'm not sure I'd have ever had cause to suspect pin, and I was largely opposed to lynching Yyotta for lurking. Definitely need to improve how I read and try to deduce scum. I'm somewhat annoyed at myself that I allowed Urist to drive me to frustration and start scumreading him for being tunnelled on me.

Vorkuta, I had a lot of fun playing with you and reading your posts! MVP.
foodcoats
foodcoats
Goon
foodcoats
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1549 (ISO) » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Post by foodcoats »

TW and schadd, thanks for running the game!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”