Song Contest 126 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I can't submit "Christmas Unicorn" by Sufjan Stevens because Mina won SC82 with "Chicago", but just pretend I submitted that and listen to it anyway.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:07 am

Post by xyzzy »

b
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:25 am

Post by xyzzy »

Andorra - ImageImage - the general principle stands as always that I probably won't rate videogame music very highly in Song Contest. it's not that it's bad or anything -- it's that the music works best when you've got the emotional connection of having played the game while listening to this song. this is certainly above average compared to some of the other videogame music folks have submitted in past contests, but I just don't think it works outside of the context in which it was originally presented.
Iceland - Image - I spend about the first minute of this just feeling like the whole thing was a bit sonically unpleasant. then I was like "oh this second minute is much worse than the minute that preceded it" and I thought it couldn't get worse. then two minutes in I'm hit by the vocals. this was a bad experience and I'm upset that I was forced to have it thrust upon me. this one gets only one half of a Willie from me.
South Korea - Image - I have neither seen nor read any version of this musical, so I don't really have any context for whether this is a good performance of this character, but I get the sense that this should probably be a lot more bombastic and energetic than what's actually here. this just sounds kind of tepid.
Slovenia - ImageImageImage - there are usually one or two songs per contest where they're not really something I would ever listen to independent of having to listen to them for Song Contest but I can still respect them for being things that clearly took care and thoughtfulness for the artists to create. that's pretty much where I'm at with this -- listen, I'd be lying to you if I said I ever planned to listen to a Finnish folk band that writes songs based on a book series I haven't read ever again, but I'm not mad that I listened to them once.
The Federated States of Micronesia - Image - I shouldn't be forced to listen to a whole White Stripes song against my will.
Liechtenstein - ImageImage - thank goodness someone was finally willing to shine a light on the important issue of which major retailer I can do all my Yom Kippur shopping at.
USA - ImageImageImageImageImage - this is incredible. I love it. I'm listening to the full album this song is from and I'm 3 songs in and it's amazing.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #54 (isolation #3) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Post by xyzzy »

me two weeks ago: "I will rate about one third of the songs today, about one third in a few days, and the final third well before the deadline. I'm smart and this is a good plan that I will follow through"
me now: "oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck!!!!!!"
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #55 (isolation #4) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:43 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Australia -- ImageImageImage -- this feels like the kind of song I should hate, but I actually really enjoyed it. I doubt I'll seek it out to listen to it again later, but that's a very high bar to clear. this was a very nice three minutes.
Hungary -- Image -- this... sure is a song
Republic of South Ossetia -- ImageImage -- this is pretty much the definition of just fine music. I won't be annoyed to have this in the background, but I'll never enjoy it. this was five minutes of music that happened at me.
Macau -- ImageImageImage -- this was pleasant to listen to. I had a nice time.
Greenland -- Image -- I've never really listened to much Gorillaz, but this is not a very good song.
Djibouti -- ImageImage -- have you ever thought to yourself "what would it take for xyzzy to give a song two Willies in Song Contest?" well, here's your answer, friend! this is what it takes for me to give a song two Willies.
Latvia -- ImageImageImageImage -- the energy of this song is so much fun. it's wild and frenetic in the best way.
Bhutan -- ImageImageImageImageImage -- this all works very well. it's maybe a bit too weird for me to fully enjoy it, but it's easily one of my favorite songs from this Song Contest.
Somalia -- Image -- I was ready for this song to be over and for me to give it a middling score, the kind of score where it might get a point or two from my top 10 depending on how the rest of the songs went. and then there were 4 more minutes of song left to go, and they added nothing new or worthwhile to it.
Egypt -- ImageImageImageImageImage -- well this was just absolutely delightful. I have to go listen to the rest of this album once I'm done listening to these songs!!!
Taiwan -- ImageImage -- this singer's voice is just really grating. I'd probably like it a lot more with a different voice, but this just did not work at all for me.
Tanzania -- ImageImageImageImageImage -- this was very nice!!! thanks for entering it into the Song Contest, whoever submitted it :)
Finland -- Image -- an unengaging end to the last Song Contest of the year. (I mean, there'll presumably be one that starts before the year is up, but... you know what I mean.)

Return to “General Discussion”