This website had a pretty big influence in who I am today

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #21 (isolation #0) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 am

Post by Vi »

I recognize every name in this thread... except maybe Taly. (Sorry :( )

I found some words overnight, so let's post them.

It wouldn't be unfair to say that I was socialized by this site... which probably explains a lot. Because of that, I think my RL behavior is more cringy than anything I've posted here :?
Despite that, I bailed for a year and a half because while this site is capable of a lot of good - and I believed in that even while I was a moderator - it's also pretty darn toxic at times and it doesn't need to be. Another contributing factor, being totally honest, is that I got tired of not telling people that my social life was on a site about arguing over the Internet where a word that can be interpreted as racially charged is thrown around freely (although I've heard zoraster has said and done things about that).

I tried to find a community that was nearly as interesting and personable as this one. I failed, and my social circle has tightened as a result. (I warned you all in advance about how rubbish I am about keeping up with people.) If I had to guess what this place's secret sauce is, it's that a site about arguing over the Internet invites people who are willing to be open and invest themselves in other conversations about whatever they please. People can be very real here, even when they say they're here for the trolling. That openness is something you usually only find in therapy groups, and a whole community with it, etc.

The people here come from several very different walks of life, tend to be rough around the edges, enjoy spear-fishing with awful puns and memes, are mostly nothing like my parents' idea of polite company, and by and large are fundamentally good and pleasant to be around (even if they don't realize it or take advantage of it). And for better or worse, I fit into this mix better than most anywhere else. You are "my kind of people". Despite all evidence to the contrary, I've never thought of this place as home... but after so much time away, I guess it was true.

I don't know if it presently is. I looked through the threads and... it doesn't seem like a lot has changed since I left. The old threads are still there and the old topics are still circulating. I was struck by how I didn't feel a need to respond to much at all, even to throw a well-timed pun in. I think I would have reached this point even if I hadn't left, which is what's holding me back from thinking that I threw away something good, but...

I guess what I mean to say in so many words is that I miss you. I don't say that to many people, so feel honored, dammit.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 24, hitogoroshi wrote:vi I'd play one if you played one
GET BEHIND ME, SATAN
My last three games were like hemlock soup for the soul, and after each one I was like "this was traumatic enough that I won't need to worry about being tempted into another game".
I even refuse to play games like The Resistance IRL on principle. I climbed a tree to avoid playing One Night Ultimate Alien at Calimeet.

The problem with Mafia in a community setting is that either I'm weaponizing all the things you like about me against you, or you're spending the entire game paranoid that I'm weaponizing all the things you like about me against you (and of course the reverse applies as well). We could be playing any game that doesn't have hidden allegiances and
while you should probably still be paranoid
we could enjoy each others' company more freely.

(If you invert the argument, I'm saying that using Mafia games to punish people I don't like is way more satisfying than playing to win.
I think people have known this for the entire time we've been onsite, but they've rarely expressed it in these terms.)

Counteroffer: Host a meet; I'll bring board games.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #27 (isolation #2) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 26, hitogoroshi wrote:I'm in California now so it will be warm enough to go outside no matter when you visit
Oh, cool! New job, or...?

I've got to see how many PTO days I have next year but odds are reasonable I'll be able to do May or something. ...Not July or August, speaking from experience.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #31 (isolation #3) » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:12 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 30, Taly wrote:Actually,
Vi
, we did encounter once in a 2015 game.

http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=60902

I believe you were one head of a hydra. We both won as town. :o

I don't remember if you were the active head or not... I won't check, because I've learned never to reread games I played in 2015 lol... the cringe is too much.

(I might be thinking of someone else XP)
No... I'm not any of these people. ChriVi was a hydra of Chrimi and Viomi.

Although it looks like LlamaFluff hasn't been here in half a year. :sad:

Return to “General Discussion”