iOS vs Android

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Allomancer
Allomancer
Goon
Allomancer
Goon
Goon

iOS vs Android

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 pm

Post by Allomancer »

Considering what my next phone should be. My past couple phones have been iPhones, but the new iPhones are being made more expensive because of features that I never wanted. However, the few times I've used an Android, I have noticed how confusing and unintuitive the OS is. I am also concerned about the security flaws of Android.
"Who the fuck counts in Babylonian? I'm impressed sir. So impressed that I'm going to ruin your counting."—
xofelf

"This might be the worst hydra I've seen in all of mafiascum history."—
T-bone

"idk, you don't feel like an easy mislynch"—
Creature
Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Post by Raskolnikov »

LineageOS
deranged and incoherent
?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Post by hiplop »

Android
third best scummer of all time
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:40 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 2, hiplop wrote:Android
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:51 am

Post by Majiffy »

I prefer Android for ease of use, actually, but I've never bought into Apple's "simple" advertising. Especially having used them in college and internships for audio.

If security is your primary concern, Apple will always be the way to go. Theyve got quite a good track record on protecting their IP and as a result they are very user secure as an unintentional result.

That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:52 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

android, iphone seems needlessly expensive
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:23 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

In post 4, Majiffy wrote:That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.
Also, don't put the Facebook app on your phone.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:30 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 0, Allomancer wrote:I am also concerned about the security flaws of Android.
Have an anti-malware app on your phone. Lookout is a popular one. After that, understand the permissions that each app requests from your phone before you install it. Does that flashlight app really need access to your SMS history? Common sense for security on a typical Windows computer would also apply to an Android phone. I assert that there aren't "security flaws" on Android so much as you have significantly more control over what you do on your device than you've had on iOS, and that can make it easier for things to go wrong if you don't take basic precautions.

I would also second not letting the Facebook apps anywhere near your device.

As soon as you get your phone, enable password lock and encryption. If you get Lookout, then there are some additional security features, including taking a photo of whomever attempts to unlock your device after a certain number of unsuccessful password entries.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:19 am

Post by zoraster »

I switched from iOS to android (pixel 3) earlier this year after I accidentally went swimming with my iphone 6s.

After an initial week or so, the "unintuitive nature" becomes pretty intuitive. I still don't love the way it does notifications (figuring out why my phone just buzzed is a constant battle) but other than that, I have few complaints. Biggest thing is if the people you're close to use imessage, but it wasn't that hard to get my family to use whatsapp instead.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:40 pm

Post by Majiffy »

In post 6, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 4, Majiffy wrote:That being said, there are numerous steps you can take to secure an Android relatively easily. Turn off your WIFI and BT when you aren't using it, for example.
Also, don't put the Facebook app on your phone.
Or just delete your Facebook account. It's garbage anyhow.
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
cristian555
cristian555
Watcher
cristian555
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 am

Post by cristian555 »

I've never used iPhone before so not able to comment on that but in case of android, I found it quite easy to use. Android phone has some good features like infrared transmission, no touch control, wireless app download etc. it is user-friendly.
YellowSnow
YellowSnow
Goon
YellowSnow
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:07 am

Post by YellowSnow »

iphone is better if you are techologically challenged, but I don't like Apple's monopolistic policies towards their phones and high prices.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

If the phone is for development purposes, you want to program things on a platform that let's you do what you want, screw the apple hierarchy, android.
If for a child or consumer that generally wants a safer experience with more security standards, iPhone
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
shEll
shEll
Townie
shEll
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Post by shEll »

sOrrY cAnT hEAr YAll bROKe pPl thrU mY AiRPOdS
shEll
shEll
Townie
shEll
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Post by shEll »

All jokes aside I prefer android, but I don't think a shell should dictate your decision
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 am

Post by Annadog40 »

iOS can't view spoiler tags, Androids can. Clear winner is Android.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2019 9:48 am

Post by Ircher »

iPhone is awesome; Android is mediocre imho.

I'm not sure why tbh; iOS just feel a lot higher quality than Android.
In post 15, Annadog40 wrote:iOS can't view spoiler tags, Androids can. Clear winner is Android.
Or.... We could ban spoiler tags altogether in favor of spoiler=.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am

Post by Equinox »

In post 16, Ircher wrote:I'm not sure why tbh; iOS just feel a lot higher quality than Android.
Apple puts a considerable amount of money into user interface and making it feel sleek, polished, and faster. This is much easier when their software can be used only on their hardware. There's a blog explaining some examples using macOS here, but the principles will be similar for iOS.
momo
momo
Mafia Scum
momo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Post by momo »

Honestly, it depends what other products you are going to use and how you plan on using your phone.

I use apple products and honestly, despite the faux elitism on both sides (apple = expensive/prestigious, android = not sheep/intellectual/anti-monopolistic) I feel that Apple, once you commit, can be the better experience.

iOS and Android are operating systems, but they are also part of two larger ecosystems. If you don't want to invest a lot of money in your phone/don't plan on using this one for a long time, Android is the way to go just for price.

That said, as an Apple user, if you truly buy into it, I have to tell you that iOS can be amazing. iMessage is very common in America and honestly, unlike Zor, my friends and family aren't the kind to all switch to WhatsApp or GroupMe or any other alternative. And while I understand that many people view Air Pods as a waste of money, I use them and find myself loving the way Air Pods seamlessly connect with your phone (and more specifically Apple Music).

If you have a mac (either laptop or desktop) or are planning on getting one in the future, iOS is again the way to go. If you care about apps, iOS tends to get them earlier and anecdotally, I hear tends to run them better.

It's a choice. There are pros and cons. You have to decide what you want. (Though if you do get an iPhone, don't get caught up on the use a new phone every year craze. I know plenty of people who are still using the 6s and it works fine for them.
Transcend
-BUT READING MOMO I FEEL LIKE HE IS THE PLAYER THAT IF HE GOT PRESSURED AS TOWN HE WULD BE LIKE FUCK YALL AND MOVE ON WITH WHATEVER ELSE HE WAS DOING
Boonskies
- Like, Momo is the most mislynchable player on all of mafiascum right now. I'm not day 1 lynching him.
TheGoldenParadox
As it stands, momo is a great player or maybe the most mislynchable player on the site right now
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Get a Nokia 3310
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

iOS's sole advantage is imessage
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 am

Post by profii »

I recently went from iOS (iPhone7) to Android (Samsung A70)

I think iOS looks better/easier to use

Android is significantly cheaper here (UK)

I basically do a bit of browsing, netflix, whatsapp on my phone so I figured if I can save like £20 a month, then i really ought to
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 am

Post by inte »

walled garden vs extensible tool

android has a walled garden experience but it inferior to apple's. however, you will never be able to hack your phone like you can android by design

see: tasker, widgets, changing default apps, etc.

it's also not inflated. my first two smart phones were iphone 3gs and 4. switched to oneplus one because new iphone (think it was 5/6) was like $750 and the oneplus one was $350 with the basically the same performance.
Show
W(eed)/L: 420/2

T:2/2/0
S:1/0/0
N:0/0/0

When dreamen gad-adto-ello-lahwer time-antime ageeee-ayeeeeah-ye-e-ah-nn.

Return to “General Discussion”