Micro 843 - Pop Goes the Nightkill (Game Over!)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Micro 843 - Pop Goes the Nightkill (Game Over!)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 am

Post by mith »

Links

The Death of Orville's Red N. Bacher
Day 1: Discussion, Diary Entry 83
Night 1: The Final Hours of Chickadee
Voting 1: The Silent Execution of Alisae
Discussion 2: Discussion, Diary Entry 14
Night 2: The Last Will and Testament of the worst
Voting 2: The Majority Decision of Majiffy
Discussion 3: Discussion, Diary Entry 65
Night 3: The Not-So-Sudden Death of CultOfAthena
Voting 3: The Incriminating Journal of Aristophanes
Discussion 4: Discussion, Diary Entry 71
Night 4: The Final Murder of xRECKONERx
Voting 4: The Unnecessarily Slow Death of BBmolla
The Unpopped Kernel

Player List
  • Alisae (replacing Maestro)

• Aristophanes

• BBmolla (replacing CheekyTeeky)

• Chickadee

• CultofAthena

• Majiffy

• PenguinPower - Vanilla Town

• the worst (replacing TTTT)

• xRECKONERx
Dead/Dying:
  • Chickadee - Vanilla Town, Killed Night 1

• Alisae - Vanilla Town, Executed Voting 1

• the worst - Vanilla Town, Killed Night 2

• Majiffy - Vanilla Town, Executed Voting 2

• CultOfAthena - Vanilla Town, Killed Night 3

• Aristophanes - Mafia Goon, Executed Voting 3

• xRECKONERx - Vanilla Town, Killed Night 4

• BBmolla - Mafia Goon, Executed Voting 4
General Rules

This game uses mith's Extremely Outdated Ruleset (TM)
  • Have fun, and don't be a jerk. Arguments and emotions are of course expected in any Mafia game, but stay away from personal attacks.
  • Read all the rules carefully and make sure you will be able to follow them. Unexpected things do come up, and in that case, let the moderator know as soon as possible so a replacement can be found. If you just flake, expect to be barred from future mith games for a while.

• No editing or deleting your posts.
  • No invisible text; no extraneous formatting tags. tags are reserved for the moderator.
  • When you're dead, you're dead. No posting in the game thread until the game is over, unless your role specifies otherwise. This includes "Bah!" posts.
  • No talking outside the thread, unless your role explicitly allows it.
  • No talking in the thread at night, even if the mod forgets to close it.
  • You are expected to read your Role PM in its entirety.
  • If you are modkilled for breaking the rules of the game, you lose.
  • Do not quote the moderator. This includes role PMs (though sample role PMs for all possible roles can be found in the next post).
  • Questions should not be directed to the moderator in the thread. If you have any question about the game, ask it by PM. If it is something that everyone needs to be aware of, the mod will make a public announcement.
  • The moderator is always right, even when he isn't. Accept the moderator's decisions, and if you want to discuss them, take it to private messages, or do so after the game has finished.
Game Specific Rules
  • Setup

• This is an Open Setup, with 2 Mafia Goons and 7 Vanilla Town.
    • Instead of a Day/Night cycle, this game has the following phases: Discussion, Night, Voting.
    • During the Discussion phase, no votes will be counted.
    • At the end of the Discussion phase, the thread will be closed, and the Mafia will privately choose a player to kill during the Night phase. The Mafia's kill is required.
    • After the Mafia have made their choice, the thread will be reopened for Voting. The player chosen by the Mafia will be revealed, but will not immediately die - instead, they will begin a round of Popcorn-style voting.
    • The player whose turn it is will post
      only
      a Vote and a Next player to vote (who hasn't already voted); for example:
      VOTE: mith
      Next: Mr. Grey
    • Only the player whose turn it is should post, and (again, for emphasis), the player voting may
      only
      post a Vote and a Next.
    • Once each player has voted, whoever has the most votes will be lynched, and the Mafia's victim will be killed. A majority is not required, only a plurality. (Everyone will vote, and voting is required, even if a majority is reached early.)
    • If there is a tie for most votes, whichever player reached that vote total first will be lynched.
    • The game ends in a Mafia win if, at the end of the Voting phase, the Mafia equal or outnumber the Town.
    • The game ends in a Town win if, at the end of the Voting phase, there are no living Mafia.
    • If the game is not over at the end of a Voting phase, the game will continue to the next Discussion phase.
  • Timing

• Each Discussion phase will last N real-life days, where N is the number of living players. Players are expected to post at least every 48 hours (every 24 hours preferred).
    • Each Night phase will last a minimum of 24 hours and a maximum of 72 hours. Mafia may submit their kill choice before Discussion has ended, and may change it at any point before the minimum 24 hours is up. (Provisional kill choices can be sent to avoid confusion on my part - these will only be used if confirmed.)
    • During the Voting phase, the voting player is expected to post within 24 hours of being chosen.
    • Prods and modkills at moderator's discretion, but hopefully unnecessary.
    • Deadline extensions will be granted only in the event of a replacement (to give the replacement a little time to catch up).
  • Sample PMs

You are a Mafia Goon with [Insert Name Here].

Your goal, unsurprisingly, is to eliminate the "good guys". You can do this by manipulation and murder. Unfortunately, while your weapon of choice is 100% effective, it takes time to act, so the town will be able to vote after you choose your victims.

You may communicate with your partner only during the Night phase. [Insert Mafia PT Here]

You win if, after the Voting phase, the Mafia make up a plurality of the living players.

Please read the rules in the OP to make sure you understand the mechanics of this game.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=78262
    You are Vanilla Town.

Those evil scum are at it again, and as usual you only have your voice and your vote to combat them. Fortunately, their murder weapon of choice takes some time to act, so the town will be able to vote after the victim is revealed.

You win when both Mafia Goons have been eliminated.

Please read the rules in the OP to make sure you understand the mechanics of this game.

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=78262
I have almost certainly forgotten some detail - shoot me a PM if you catch anything you're unsure about, and I will answer in thread if it is important enough to do so.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:50 am

Post by mith »

Orville, MS

Population: 9...000

It's the holiday season, and the stars have aligned to allow almost the entire population of Orville to take an extended vacation at the same time. A pair of wannabe mobsters have decided that the time is ripe to unleash their secret weapon in order to take over the town. (What are they going to do if they succeed? They haven't gotten that far yet.)

Unfortunately, their secret weapon (a Tommy Gun-shaped Death LASER) has a couple of limitations. It can only be used once per night, or it will overheat and explode in their faces. And while it is 100% effective at murder, it is far from instant - it acts as an overnight radiation poisoning delivery system.

In the morning, the now ghostly town of Orville wakes to a tragic loss. One of the few (ten) citizens still in town has died - the owner of the town's most successful business, selling popcorn and popcorn accessories. His slow death due to radiation poisoning has allowed him time to write out a will, reminding the nine survivors of the following:

1. Someone has committed MURDER. Probably two someones. Because reasons.
2. It will probably happen again.
3. Town ordinance clearly requires an extended period of silence while someone is dying due to radiation poisoning.
4. It is less restrictive about voting.
5. In honor of Red N. Bacher's death, the town should determine his killers by voting "popcorn" style.

No one is quite sure what that last part means, so they decide to make something suitable up.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Post by mith »

It is Discussion Phase 1. Deadline is 9 days
from this post
from my next post.

Discussion 1 Deadline: (expired on 2019-01-12 14:00:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #4 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Post by mith »

I know I hit unlock earlier. Grr. Ok, go, for real now. 9 days from
this
post.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #213 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 am

Post by mith »

From the Diary of Red N. Bacher

I can feel the sickness taking me. These may be the final words I ever write. Funny, I never gave much thought to what my last words might be. They should be profound and meaningful... and yet, my mind wanders back to popcorn, that perfect manna from heaven. Did you know that the oldest popcorn ears were found in the Bat Cave? No, not that one. The one in New Mexico. Over 4000 years old... to think, people have been eating popcorn for so long. I must have one more bite befo

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #220 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 am

Post by mith »

I've added a countdown to my previous posts. We're a little over the halfway point of this Discussion phase.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #303 (isolation #6) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Post by mith »

I will be home late tomorrow, so thread may close a little after.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #323 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 am

Post by mith »

Looking for a replacement for Maestro. Deadline for Discussion 1 will be extended to 1 day from replacement joining.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #325 (isolation #8) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am

Post by mith »

Alisae replaces Maestro

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #371 (isolation #9) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 am

Post by mith »

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #373 (isolation #10) » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am

Post by mith »

It is now Night 1. The Mafia have 72 hours to make their choice; the thread will remain closed for a minimum of 24 hours.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #374 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 am

Post by mith »

The Funeral

Out of respect for the dead the town falls silent as the clock strikes 9. No words will be spoken until morning.

Also out of respect for the dead, everyone starts looking up interesting facts about popcorn on their phones. If everyone weren't so respectful, the innocent might notice that two people aren't looking up popcorn facts at all - they are texting each other and sending commands to their automated Tommy LASER Death Robot (TLDR).

As engrossing as tales of Aztec popcorn dances are, the very respectful town can't help but notice the TLDR make a loud, dramatic entrance into the chapel. It takes aim at Chickadee and
ZAP
. Then the robot is gone, before the town can react to stop it.

Such an extraordinary event seems to warrant a great deal of discussion... but alas, the town is bound by funeral etiquette and respect for the dead (and dying). Still, the ordinances have less to say about the raising of hands, pointing, and execution...

Chickadee (Vanilla Town)
has been hit with a lethal dose of radiation. It is now Voting 1. Chickadee will vote first, and then choose the next player to vote.

Reminder:
You may only post your vote and the next player to vote, in the following format:
  • VOTE: mith
Attempting to circumvent this may result in a modkill and end of voting depending on the severity.

Please double check who has already voted before choosing the next player. (The last player to vote does not need to choose a next, obviously.) Voting is mandatory (you must vote for a living player in the game), and will continue until all players have voted even if a majority is reached early. Whoever has the most votes at the end of voting will be lynched, with ties broken by earliest to hit the final count. I will post vote counts periodically and send reminders as needed.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #379 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Post by mith »

Vote Count:

2 - Alisae (TTTT, PenguinPower)
1 - TTTT (Chickadee)
1 - PenguinPower (Alisae)

Left to vote:
  • Aristophanes
  • CheekyTeeky
  • CultofAthena
  • Majiffy

• xRECKONERx
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #382 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Post by mith »

Vote Count:

2 - Alisae (TTTT, PenguinPower)
2 - PenguinPower (Alisae, Majiffy)
2 - TTTT (Chickadee, Aristophanes)

Left to vote:
  • CheekyTeeky
  • CultofAthena
  • xRECKONERx
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #386 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Post by mith »

Final Vote Count:

3 - Alisae
(TTTT, PenguinPower, CultofAthena)
2 - PenguinPower (Alisae, Majiffy)
2 - TTTT (Chickadee, Aristophanes)
2 - Aristophanes (xRECKONERx, CheekyTeeky)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #387 (isolation #15) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Post by mith »

Rigor Mortis

The final and decisive vote is cast, and Alisae weeps (silently). As the victim of a slow, painful death, Chickadee does the honors of strangling Alisae to death, before succumbing to the radiation sickness, rigor mortis locking hands around neck in a monument to the futility of justice.

Don't ask too many questions about the rapid onset of rigor mortis. Obviously something to do with the high popcorn diet in this town.

And then there were 7... and still 2 killers loose.

Alisae (Vanilla Town)
has been lynched. Chickadee is now also dead. It is Discussion 2, deadline is
~9 days from this post.

Discussion 2 Deadline: (expired on 2019-01-24 16:00:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #451 (isolation #16) » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Post by mith »

It's a funny story, how I got into the popcorn business. I was but a young lad of 37, looking to make my way in this cruel world. I had financial catastrophe after financial catastrophe... granted, I wasn't too bright back in those days, always falling for the latest miracle cure for what ails ya. Who doesn't get a bit excited by the prospects of a life free from disease? So there I was, dead broke and covered in horseradish, when it dawned on me.

What if popcorn was the panacea I had been searching my whole life for?

It wasn't, but it sure did taste good, and people like a thing that tastes good, especially when they can convince themselves it has benefits to their health.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #482 (isolation #17) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 am

Post by mith »

Looking for a replacement for TTTT. Deadline for Discussion 2 will be extended to a minimum of 1 day from replacement joining.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #483 (isolation #18) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 am

Post by mith »

the worst replaces TTTT. Deadline extended to ~3 days from this post.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #485 (isolation #19) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am

Post by mith »

I am also now caught up on silly flavor text. Still sick, but finally getting better.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #601 (isolation #20) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 am

Post by mith »

Thread will close at deadline but there may be a delay in updating the title/OP. Meeting conflict.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #603 (isolation #21) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Post by mith »

Said I’d do it on time and got distracted anyway. It’s Night 2, I’ll update everything in a bit.

Night 2 Deadline: (expired on 2019-01-27 16:00:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #604 (isolation #22) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Post by mith »

The Reading of the Will

It has been a stressful couple of days in the town of Orville, MS. Death robots will test the resolve of any person, even one with such a robust diet of nature's fluffy goodness. It should come as no surprise, then, that abrupt personality changes have become commonplace.

The latest personality to manifest has little time to experience the joys of eating popcorn, though. As darkness sets in, and the town prepares for another night of silent pondering on popcorn facts... a baby starts crying? Where did that baby come from? There wasn't a baby in town before. Whose baby is it?

And just as suddenly as the sound starts, it stops. A mass hallucination perhaps? Some sort of extra-dimensional fourth wall breaking distraction? Whatever the truth, the disturbing sound has allowed the murderers to strike again, and the TLDR swoops in to
ZAP
the worst. Just the worst. Because TLDRs only have one charge per night.

Never mind all that. Did you know a single kernel of popcorn can pop up to 3 feet in the air? What's a little murder, with facts like these?

As it happens, the worst has already prepared a will for just this event. Or a will has been prepared for the worst. However, as no one can speak, it is unclear who will read it. So the worst starts another round of pointing instead.

the worst (Vanilla Town)
has been hit with a lethal dose of radiation. It is now Voting 2. the worst will vote first, and then choose the next player to vote.

Reminder:
You may only post your vote and the next player to vote, in the following format:
Attempting to circumvent this may result in a modkill and end of voting depending on the severity.

Please double check who has already voted before choosing the next player. (The last player to vote does not need to choose a next, obviously.) Voting is mandatory (you must vote for a living player in the game), and will continue until all players have voted even if a majority is reached early. Whoever has the most votes at the end of voting will be lynched, with ties broken by earliest to hit the final count. I will post vote counts periodically and send reminders as needed.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #609 (isolation #23) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Post by mith »

Vote Count:

3 - Majiffy (the worst, Aristophanes, PenguinPower)
1 - PenguinPower (xRECKONERx)

Left to vote:
  • CheekyTeeky

• CultofAthena
  • Majiffy
CheekyTeeky was sent a prod at the end of Discussion 2, and this prod has not been picked up. I will have to look for a replacement at the end of 24 hours.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #610 (isolation #24) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 am

Post by mith »

Looking for a replacement for CheekyTeeky. Replacement will have 48 hours to vote.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #611 (isolation #25) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 am

Post by mith »

BBmolla replaces CheekyTeeky.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #616 (isolation #26) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Post by mith »

Final Vote Count:

4 - Majiffy (the worst, Aristophanes, PenguinPower, BBmolla)
2 - PenguinPower (xRECKONERx, Majiffy)
1 - xRECKONERx (CultOfAthena)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #617 (isolation #27) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by mith »

Majority Report

The outcome is sealed before the final vote is cast, and now it is time for Majiffy to experience... the worst way to die. By which I mean the worst strangles Majiffy while taking a last breath.

It hasn't taken long at all for the population of Orville (well, the non-vacationing population) to be cut in half... and yet, we are still no closer to finding out who the killers are. Or why they are so bad at designing death robots. Seriously, one charge per night?

Majiffy (Vanilla Town)
has been lynched. the worst is now also dead. It is Discussion 3 deadline is 5 days from this post.

Discussion 3 Deadline: (expired on 2019-02-06 09:30:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #649 (isolation #28) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:31 am

Post by mith »

Flavor text catch up is happening today, honest.

Discussion 3 Deadline: (expired on 2019-02-05 18:30:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #656 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Post by mith »

I had the most wonderful idea today. A new festival for Orville, one which could really put us on the map. A celebration, and a competition. A pair of competitors from each of Orville's twelve districts, vying for the title of Popcorn Gender-Neutral Royal and Other Gender-Neutral Royal.

I have come up with three rounds, so far. In the first, the competitors will sit silently in front of a large bowl of popcorn, and the winner is whoever lasts the longest without eating a single kernel. In the second, the competitors will race to find a single unpopped kernel in a bag of popcorn. And of course the third round is a popcorn eating competition.

I call it... the Hunger Games. Pretty great, right?

Finally caught up on flavor text. I am extending the deadline slightly to better work with my schedule.

Discussion 3 Deadline: (expired on 2019-02-06 09:30:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #677 (isolation #30) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 am

Post by mith »

It is now Night 3. The Mafia have 72 hours to make their choice; the thread will remain closed for a minimum of 24 hours.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #678 (isolation #31) » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:44 am

Post by mith »

Not-So-Sudden Death

Quality popcorn should produce 98% popped kernels, with under 2% being "spinsters" or "old maids". By comparison, the town of Orville's current population is 40% murderer.

It is a dark time in Orville, made darker still by the
ZAP
given to CultOfAthena. Well, first it's made brighter, because of the LASER. Then darker. Metaphorically. And literally, since it is night time. The point is, CultOfAthena is dying, and unless a murderer is made to pay by the time radiation sickness ends another life, it's curtains for the town of Orville.

CultOfAthena (Vanilla Town)
has been hit with a lethal dose of radiation. It is now Voting 3. CultOfAthena will vote first, and then choose the next player to vote.

Reminder:

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #684 (isolation #32) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am

Post by mith »

Final Vote Count:

4 - Aristophanes (CultOfAthena, PenguinPower, BBmolla, xRECKONERx)
1 - xRECKONERx (Aristophanes)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #685 (isolation #33) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:03 am

Post by mith »

Unanimous Verdict

All fingers point to Aristophanes, and CultOfAthena wastes no time in wrapping hands around neck, just before death. One wonders why those deemed guilty have not just run away for a bit to avoid this fate. It's too late to ask Aristophanes, whose silence is made more permanent by the lack of oxygen.

The remaining three members of the town look at each other nervously. Is this the end for one of them, finally outnumbered by the murderous foes who have taken so many innocent lives?

...no. There are no sudden movements for additional murder, and slowly the three relax and get to the business of cleaning up the latest corpses. As they do so, they find a suspicious journal in Aristophanes' pocket... It is mostly written in code, but the first page contains the only plaintext to be found. It reads:
Aristophanes' Journal wrote:1. Murder
2. Fentanyl-Infused Popcorn
3. Mass Murder
4. Profit.

Aristophanes (Mafia Goon)
has been lynched. CultOfAthena is now also dead. It is Discussion 4, deadline is 3 days from this post.

Discussion 4 Deadline: (expired on 2019-02-11 15:00:00)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #739 (isolation #34) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:21 am

Post by mith »

All work and no corn makes Red a dull boy.

continues on next page

Discussion 4 Deadline: (expired on 2019-02-11 15:00:00)

Discussion may be ended early by a unanimous vote of VOTE: End Discussion.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #743 (isolation #35) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Post by mith »

It is now Night 4. The Mafia have 72 hours to make their choice; the thread will remain closed for a minimum of 24 hours.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #744 (isolation #36) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Post by mith »

The Final Choice

Night comes early... daylight savings? No matter. The three survivors of the little town of Orville wait silently, patiently, for what they know will come next.

ZAP

The TLDR strikes for the final time, this time targeting xRECKONERx. Resigned but determined to save the town from a fate worse than spilled popcorn with this last chance to find the final murderer, xRECKONERx lowers a hand to point at...

xRECKONERx (Vanilla Town)
has been hit with a lethal dose of radiation. It is now Voting 4. Since the next vote will be decisive, the game will end as soon as it is made.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #746 (isolation #37) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 am

Post by mith »

Final Vote Count

1 - BBmolla (xRECKONERx)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #747 (isolation #38) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 am

Post by mith »

A Slow Death

After a decisive pointing, and a completely unnecessary passing of several hours due to the ordinances of Orville, MS, the hands of xRECKONERx wrap around the throat of BBmolla, and...
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #748 (isolation #39) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 am

Post by mith »

The Unpopped Kernel

Days later, the unsuspecting vacationers start to trickle in, coming home from a blissful ignorance into the realities of 9 dead bodies stacked artfully in the town square. They react about as you might expect: completely unfazed and assuming it is some sort of weird performance art piece that doesn't interest them.

When the sheriff finds PenguinPower in the popcorn factory, gorging himself on fresh delicious fluffy goodness, there is a bigger reaction. PenguinPower is immediately arrested for trespassing, but when the sheriff goes to look for the owner of the facility, one Red N. Bacher, someone points out that he is part of that wacky performance art and, on trying to notify him, the town doctor finally realizes that Red is dead. They're all dead.

Naturally, the assumption is that PenguinPower is a serial killer and did the deed. But on returning to the square the sheriff finds and reads the will, and then notices a single unopened envelope which was somehow missed, addressed to the sheriff.
Red N. Bacher's Letter wrote:Dear Sheriff DePuty,

If you are reading this, I have been murdered. Along with several others, I would imagine. Whoever is still alive may even have done it, but I have taken steps to ensure that mob justice prevails, so in that sense, whoever is alive has been found innocent by a jury of now dead peers.

Additionally, I bequeath my entire fortune and ownership of the popcorn factory to the survivors. It is the least I can do, after this horrific ordeal.

Yours decayingly,
Red N. Bacher
The sheriff looks at PenguinPower, shrugs, and removes the handcuffs.

The ordinances of Orville, MS clearly state that on the passing of ownership of a popcorn business, a town-wide celebration must take place. Red N. Bacher has prepared for just this occasion, and 8990 gift boxes full of popped heaven are found ready and waiting for just such an event. PenguinPower can't eat another bite right now, but as the proud new owner is content to watch the town enjoy their popcorn.

PenguinPower is less content when they all drop dead. Fentanyl overdose. Huh. Picking up that page of Aristophanes' journal, noticing for the first time that the handwriting is remarkably consistent with that of one Red N. Bacher... huh.

PenguinPower doesn't think too deeply about the ramifications of this discovery. As a proud business owner... well, the corn won't pop itself.

BBmolla (Mafia Goon)
has been lynched. xRECKONERx is now also dead. And so is the rest of Orville, MS.
PenguinPower (Vanilla Town)
survives, and
Town Wins!

I mean, they're all dead, but at least the murderers aren't running the popcorn factory!
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #765 (isolation #40) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:42 am

Post by mith »

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #771 (isolation #41) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Post by mith »

Glad the setup was enjoyable... I quite like it, or I wouldn’t have decided to run it.

One interesting strategic note: at 1:2, the victim’s vote is decisive, but that is effectively the case at 2:3 as well (pick wrong, Mafia pile on, game over; so the townies should just assume the vote is right). That makes LyLo play out more like a Vengeful game than anything. I think the popcorn mechanic may be better suited to a larger game as a result, to really give it a chance to shine. But 2:7 is quite well balanced (and should hit a decisive “coinflip” at the end nearly 60% of the time, by EV, so it’s tense).

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”