Theme Test Market

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #4700 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

My suggestion would be giving scum some way to override any strategies
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4701 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:31 am

Post by Varsoon »

Yeah I think a mix of a couple different approaches may work here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4702 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:32 am

Post by Varsoon »

Speaking of, would people want to play that sort of a game?
Would you be willing to outbid other players to put sabotages on players you think are scum/avoid getting sabotaged yourself?
Sickofit1138
Sickofit1138
Mafia Scum
Sickofit1138
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4703 (ISO) » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:14 am

Post by Sickofit1138 »

In post 4702, Varsoon wrote:Speaking of, would people want to play that sort of a game?
Would you be willing to outbid other players to put sabotages on players you think are scum/avoid getting sabotaged yourself?
I would be interested, sounds like a fun time
Always ask for consent before hopping on someone's wagon.
TheGoldenParadox
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
TheGoldenParadox
he
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he

Post Post #4704 (ISO) » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:04 pm

Post by TheGoldenParadox »

Would anyone want to play a game of Mafia based on The Three Body Problem / Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy?
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4705 (ISO) » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:30 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

never heard of it
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4706 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:00 am

Post by Varsoon »

Would there be any interest in playing a series of games that are 5p LYLO with 3 town, 2 scum?

I was considering this the other night--I really enjoy when games are in LYLO and I want to run some smaller setups.
The idea would be that 5 players would sign up and play in a series of 5p LYLO games, each with its own theme. Players would play until everyone has had a chance at being scum or once 5 total games have been played.
I could even do multiple of these simultaneously and privately, so it could be three of them going at once, with the same rotation of themes.
Another consideration I had would be not outting player's alignments/roles after the game had ended, as to keep subsequent games more interesting and less game-solvey.
I was thinking I could knock out a lot of smaller theme ideas by running a 'procedurally generated' sort of game where I make a new theme game for each new game run.

What do ya'll think?
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #4707 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:30 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 4687, Gamma Emerald wrote:Would anyone be interesting in games based on either Fire Emblem 6, Fire Emblem 7, or the Tellius Games (and maybe Sacred Stones)? I’m pretty sure there are but I still want to put it out there that I have ideas for them, albeit extremely nebulous
In post 4688, Korina wrote:Yea, I would be. I love the fire emblem series, so I wouldn't mind playing or helping review flavor.
There have been several run on site before; you could easily find them in the archives, I would think. Could be time for another, and I'd be willing to play or help design, probably would prefer the latter since I've got some ideas.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4708 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:33 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 4706, Varsoon wrote:Players would play until everyone has had a chance at being scum or once 5 total games have been played.
Definitely not the first option there!

I did something like this while back, I think, a series of linked games with the same playerlist. It went fine? Make sure you get a dedicated group, though, because it may not seem like a commitment but that's before the cathartic release at the end of Game 1 where everybody (just me?) went "aaah... time to relax- wait, but WHA- oh right, I have more games to do here"

I kinda want to reread those games too, because I remember them being informative...
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4709 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:59 am

Post by Varsoon »

@Maestro: I vaguely remember playing in a series of 3p LYLO games here: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=27133
I think I could find dedicated players for at least one set of 5.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4710 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 4707, Maestro wrote:
In post 4687, Gamma Emerald wrote:Would anyone be interesting in games based on either Fire Emblem 6, Fire Emblem 7, or the Tellius Games (and maybe Sacred Stones)? I’m pretty sure there are but I still want to put it out there that I have ideas for them, albeit extremely nebulous
In post 4688, Korina wrote:Yea, I would be. I love the fire emblem series, so I wouldn't mind playing or helping review flavor.
There have been several run on site before; you could easily find them in the archives, I would think. Could be time for another, and I'd be willing to play or help design, probably would prefer the latter since I've got some ideas.
I still have the Fire Emblem game in mind and have an idea for an interesting mechanic, but I have something else I wanna do before that one.
<Embrace The Void>

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #4711 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 4706, Varsoon wrote:Would there be any interest in playing a series of games that are 5p LYLO with 3 town, 2 scum?

I was considering this the other night--I really enjoy when games are in LYLO and I want to run some smaller setups.
The idea would be that 5 players would sign up and play in a series of 5p LYLO games, each with its own theme. Players would play until everyone has had a chance at being scum or once 5 total games have been played.
I could even do multiple of these simultaneously and privately, so it could be three of them going at once, with the same rotation of themes.
Another consideration I had would be not outting player's alignments/roles after the game had ended, as to keep subsequent games more interesting and less game-solvey.
I was thinking I could knock out a lot of smaller theme ideas by running a 'procedurally generated' sort of game where I make a new theme game for each new game run.

What do ya'll think?
I think this would work better using a setup with an EV higher than 2/15. As it is, it wouldn't surprise me if scum won every 5p lylo there was; it's a very hard setup for town to win.

3:2 lylos in real games normally have information that was obtained on prior days through night actions and/or claims. You could improve the EV to 1/6 by making one of the townies Named (which would simulate this), but it's still rather low.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4712 (ISO) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:24 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'd likely be balancing roles/night actions around 3:2 lylos with that in mind.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #4713 (ISO) » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

off the cuff, the simplest thing to do w/ 3-2 lylo games in order to avoid lolbalance is to make them nightless
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #4714 (ISO) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Post by Elbirn »

So uh

It would be a ways off, but would there be any interest in a Twilight Zone mafia? Possibly U-Pick?

Edit: actually forget the upick, I dont expect people to remember characters from a 60 year old tv show. But yeah, this.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4715 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:25 am

Post by Maestro »

@Elbirn: I'd love to have a hand in that setup. Sounds like an awesome idea.
In post 647, Maestro wrote:
In post 644, ajfefijsleifjsa wrote:/out didn't realize hydra aren't allowed
I've thought about this a lot recently, and realized that all my problems with hydrae could be solved by effectively leveying a "post restriction" of sorts. If you really want to play in a hydra, it should be your goal to eliminate essentially anything that makes you different from a normal player, so as not to disrupt the game for others. That could possibly be achieved via any number of tactics: group PT where you all try to format/voice posts the same way before making them (this would imply no post "signing"), cohesive discussion between heads outside of the game, never in-thread, maaaybe only one person logs in and posts from the account and always from a different browser (that only has auto-login for the hydra itself) to eliminate as many opportunities as possible for an alt-slip?

There are options, but as it is, hydrae fundamentally change how players interact, and IMO the majority of the time they do so negatively. If you want to have a hydra in a game of mine (or a game I play in), I'd want it to be understood that it's your responsibility to minimize all of that. I understand that I can't expect that as a player, so I don't sign up for games with hydra and I /out if a hydra joins after me. It's just my personal preference, but as a mod I have an obligation to work with my values, IMO. If you feel like you'd enjoy that potential challenge, feel free to discuss your plan with me via PM and sign up with your hydra - this goes for all future games of mine as well, in case anybody reads my posts.

/derail
I've done an all-hydra game in the past (which went as well as you'd expect), but I'm throwing this out there if anybody's interested: a game with a Perfect Hydra or two. Think about it: hydrae who have to work to be a cohesive mind-melded mafia player on top of hunting Scum or pretending to hunt Scum... does that sound awful or appealing? I've never liked hydrae, and this isn't the place to go into that, but I'm trying to be open-minded here and see what we could discover about the phenomenon.
wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #4716 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Post by wgeurts »

Stellaris Mafia?
Evolution Mafia 2?
Pokémon Mafia 2?
Everything Is A Lie Finale?
Raymond E Feists' Magician Mafia?
Roleplay Game Themed Mafia?
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4717 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 4716, wgeurts wrote:Everything Is A Lie Finale?
Kinda late, someone continued the legacy
everything else why not?
<Embrace The Void>

wgeurts
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
wgeurts
They/Them
Pokédex
Pokédex
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #4718 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Post by wgeurts »

In post 4717, Gamma Emerald wrote:
In post 4716, wgeurts wrote:Everything Is A Lie Finale?
Kinda late, someone continued the legacy
everything else why not?
Yeah but it wasn't a wgeurts™ game.

I'm feeling creative so if there's particular interest in any particular theme I'm willing to crack out some Varsoon'esque game design.
"
i agree we should have a rule against wgeurts
" -
Davsto

"
let's have 2 rules against wgeurts
" -
DeathRowKitty

Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #4719 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Yes.
YES
And if you're gonna theme it, do something you love
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4720 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 4715, Maestro wrote:@Elbirn: I'd love to have a hand in that setup. Sounds like an awesome idea.
In post 647, Maestro wrote:
In post 644, ajfefijsleifjsa wrote:/out didn't realize hydra aren't allowed
I've thought about this a lot recently, and realized that all my problems with hydrae could be solved by effectively leveying a "post restriction" of sorts. If you really want to play in a hydra, it should be your goal to eliminate essentially anything that makes you different from a normal player, so as not to disrupt the game for others. That could possibly be achieved via any number of tactics: group PT where you all try to format/voice posts the same way before making them (this would imply no post "signing"), cohesive discussion between heads outside of the game, never in-thread, maaaybe only one person logs in and posts from the account and always from a different browser (that only has auto-login for the hydra itself) to eliminate as many opportunities as possible for an alt-slip?

There are options, but as it is, hydrae fundamentally change how players interact, and IMO the majority of the time they do so negatively. If you want to have a hydra in a game of mine (or a game I play in), I'd want it to be understood that it's your responsibility to minimize all of that. I understand that I can't expect that as a player, so I don't sign up for games with hydra and I /out if a hydra joins after me. It's just my personal preference, but as a mod I have an obligation to work with my values, IMO. If you feel like you'd enjoy that potential challenge, feel free to discuss your plan with me via PM and sign up with your hydra - this goes for all future games of mine as well, in case anybody reads my posts.

/derail
I've done an all-hydra game in the past (which went as well as you'd expect), but I'm throwing this out there if anybody's interested: a game with a Perfect Hydra or two. Think about it: hydrae who have to work to be a cohesive mind-melded mafia player on top of hunting Scum or pretending to hunt Scum... does that sound awful or appealing? I've never liked hydrae, and this isn't the place to go into that, but I'm trying to be open-minded here and see what we could discover about the phenomenon.
The whole point of hydraing is to make it easier on people with less time and your conception, actually requires even more work than that of a single player. Yes, you still maintain the advantage of 2 heads forming reads/play/whatever but otherwise, I see this as rather stifling.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4721 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:38 am

Post by Maestro »

You may see “the point” as “less work for me!” but my counterpoint is that it’s
more
work for others and that it fundamentally changes Mafia, often for the worse. If you don’t want to respond to those points, that’s fine, but it just means this isn’t the game for you. I’d argue being in a game with a hydra is stifling.

:)
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4722 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:32 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 4721, Maestro wrote:You may see “the point” as “less work for me!” but my counterpoint is that it’s
more
work for others and that it fundamentally changes Mafia, often for the worse. If you don’t want to respond to those points, that’s fine, but it just means this isn’t the game for you. I’d argue being in a game with a hydra is stifling.

:)
The most important thing in making accurate reads is to be able to disearn which head is speaking, especially if you’re a believer in meta, which I am. Perhaps, your idea makes more sense in an anonymous game then but needing to coordinate posts, makes them seem fake and rehearsed - something normally associated with scum behaviour.

You have a specific way of looking at hydras and while I do see the merits in your approach, I see even more problems then the more natural way, I propose. Your obsession with this idea of what constitutes the “perfect” hydra, is at the main root of the problem as I see it. Single players are very far from perfect, it seems unfair, unrealistic and suboptimal, to insist that hydras be.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4723 (ISO) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:12 am

Post by Maestro »