Anonymous games vs Non-Anonymous games

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Anonymous games vs Non-Anonymous games

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

I played 2 games here in the past, both being anonymous. They were both pretty good times, but then I thought for a bit after I saw how you organized "Donganronpa MS" as an LSG, which is Non-Anonymous and had multiple sign-ups and nearly filled in 6 hours before it got reclassified.

When was the last time a TRUE standard Non-Anonymous Survivor game was played here? I feel like it would be very fun to see the dynamic of actually knowing right off the bat who you're facing affects the team structure, along with removing the DQ nature of revealing who you are in a Non-Anonymous game.

If we could get a discussion going on the nature of both sides of the Anonymitiy argument, along with the pros and cons of each, I feel like perhaps we can see where everyone here stands on the matter.

This also isn't me saying get rid of Anonymous games, just wanting to see where the opinion of this lies. Maybe alternate between them more often.

- Loving fan of this forum, Elsa Jay
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:20 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

Yeah, the Challenge series is a good point, but I really want to see a standard game of Survivor played non-anonymously. Twists and turns and all that. The Challenge series is different and welcome too.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #5 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

And I checked just now and that game was during... The middle of 2016. wow. 2 and a half years.

No wonder I never heard about a non-Anonymous Survivor game on the site.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:37 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Well, since I made this thread, I guess I should list some reasoning on why I feel like a tandem running/alternating between Anonymous and Non-Anonymous games is a good idea.

Much like the IRL meet ups that are organized on this forum, playing and knowing your friends is just an exhilarating concept in itself. I was able to even convince a friend of mine (Clemency) who probably wouldn't play Survivor under normal circumstances, to agree to try it out because he saw the playerlist in Donganronpa MS and decided it'd be fun to do with his friends.

((Granted its not Survivor itself, but the point stands that I got him to try something new on the virtue of being in the game as well.))

The idea of inching in new players to play with their seasoned veteran friends is always a great idea, in my opinion. Make it more of a sitewide thing, you know?

Also, like I mentioned in the first post, the anonymity rule has lead to DQs in the past and made certain games lose an entertaining and valuable player. It also lets players be more genuine while playing without worrying that they'd accidentily reveal something that would out who they are and another possible DQ.
Last edited by Elsa Jay on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #10 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:48 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Well it's still something to take into consideration, right?

Besides, even though it's Anonymous, many people here know each other's styles, and while people do change styles sometimes, just chatting with a person and them telling you certain things can clue you in on who they are.

Sure the game is anonymous, but you always look for those clues, right? When I was a new player they could immediately tell because I slipped I never played before and it was my first game. So even then, they had a measuring stick on me.

The idea of Non-Anonimity provides the advantage of a more fair playing field to those who haven't played before and lets people not think about "which player is that, they feel familiar", and more about "should I trust this person in particular?".

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #12 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

So a casual Survivor game isn't wanted, Aura? Why should it only be Non-Survivor games? And why couldn't a Non-Anonymous Survivor game be serious?

You have to remember shows like Big Brother and Survivor have All-Star seasons that invite well known past contestants. There's no anonymity there, but everyone enjoys it regardless. And people still play seriously.

If you don't know someone well... Well, that's literally what the game is for. You chat. Make allies. Make friends. Just because You dont know someone doesnt put you at a disadvantage. Having a friend in game means theyre just as likely to screw you over as they are to work with you.

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #14 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

This is the closest thing to a forum version of the Survivormeet that we'll experience online. I just want to be able to try it out, and clearly Haschel liked it enough. I'm sure there's a bunch of people that would like a non-anonymous version.

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #18 (isolation #7) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Not everyone has the same shot of winning in a Anon game either. That's built on strategy, alliances, social skills, sometimes trivia, and sometimes even pure luck.

And I didn't mean All-Stars as in the Anonymous all-stars. I meant the concept in general of knowing about who your facing. It's fun and there's always a good upset. You still only have 1 winner anyway. This is just a different interpretation of the well established style on forum mafia. Bringing back an old one.

Anything can happen. Anyone can win. That's the spirit of Survivor.

I'd add a poll here even to see what it's like and how many would play a Non-Anonymous Survivor game after 2 1/2 years of there not being any.

Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #24 (isolation #8) » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:45 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

Well, I play on mobile mostly, and I think running a game of Survivor on a phone would be... Pretty difficult.

I just want to see where everyone stands on the matter, you know?
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #27 (isolation #9) » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

Would you explain what a "Semi-Anonymous" game even is?

Is that where you know the player base but not who in particular is who, or that half the cast is known while the other half remain anonymous?

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”