Are endgamed players dead

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Are endgamed players dead

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Post by BNL »

I feel that I'm probably in the minority for this, but I'm strongly in the camp that endgamed players are not dead; I wouldn't move losing town players into the dead spoiler, and I wouldn't mark games which I lost in LyLo as town that I died (though this has never happened to me). In spite of wanting standardisation for game OPs, this is something I disagree with.

Here's why I rule endgamed players as still alive: they are not dead yet. Yes, it's true that they will eventually be dead once the game plays out and the Mafia kill all the remaning townies. However at the point the game ends, those townies are still alive. The game has ended because an outcome that the Mafia must win has been achieved, not because all the townies have died. In other words, consider yourself watching a video of a full mafia game where it is played out until one faction is completely eliminated. Once Mafia = Town, we can pause the video here because the outcome of the game is certain. However, at the time of pausing, the doomed town players are not dead yet.

I would like to bring an analogy here: chess. Being endgamed in Mafia is analogous to being checkmated in chess. The goal of chess is to prevent your king from being captured. Once you have been checkmated, this means the opponent is guaranteed to be able to capture your king, and the game is called here because the outcome of the game is certain. Have you already lost? Yes. Has the king been captured and taken off the board? NO. I think the analogy between being endgamed and being checkmated can be drawn here, and while I don't think this analogy automatically means that the situation is identical between chess and Mafia, I believe similar principles apply here that endgamed players are not dead, and this example helps to illustrate my point.

On a related but different topic, I believe the Mafia's wincon is "Kill all the non-Mafia players", and not "Mafia control 50% of the players", and the latter was only derived as a simplification of the former rule due to them being identical in the absence of vigs and docs etc. While I don't have a problem with the latter wincon, I see it as a variant win condition for weird setups, and is used in normals only so stuff like Goon vs Town Roleblocker or Goon vs Bulletproof Townie are ruled as Mafia wins rather than a draw/stalemate. In cases where the wincons are identical, I would use the former wincon even though it is more complicated, simply because it is the standard wincon.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Post by the worst »

Sorry if I'm being obtuse - is there a reason for the question? If it's just semantics, I'm not sure it really matters too much. If it becomes game related through some kind of mechanic, I would probably suggest being very clear about what you mean when explaining the game's mechanics.

If a player reaches endgame and cannot achieve a win condition, it doesn't really matter whether they're alive or not, I don't think... they've lost.

With respect to mafia wincons, they vary across games for balance reasons. It usually depends on mod preference + mechanics + setup really.

For example in a nightless game, if the mafia'a win condition is "kill all townies or have nothing be able to stop this", is 3:3 a win? or a stalemate? in a game with a vigilante, too, having a win condition of parity is a pretty important balancing factor.

there's a fair bit to consider on that front. but let me know what your angle is with the endgamed = dead question if you want a second opinion.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Post by BNL »

Yes, in the end, this is something that is ultimately just flavour. However, this is something I find interesting to discuss because many people will have different viewpoints.

I think it’s fairly obvious based on what I wrote that I believe endgamed =/= dead?

I don’t feel 50% rule for mafia win should Normal, even though it rarely ever makes a difference and solve problems like ties. However I do think it may be necessary for certain theme games for balance.
GTKAS - BNL

Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

Endgamed=dead - usually.
It means that the Mafia went open and killed the rest of the townies in broad daylight.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 am

Post by Toomai »

In post 0, BNL wrote:I'm strongly in the camp that endgamed players are not dead
In post 0, BNL wrote:I believe the Mafia's wincon is "Kill all the non-Mafia players", and not "Mafia control 50% of the players"
So if endgamed players are not dead, but the Mafia must dead everyone to win, then you believe endgaming should not be a thing that takes place at all?
If not then that's a highly contradictory pair of opinions.
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:51 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Endgaming is just a forgone conclusion to the results (scum have the majority), it's skipping the remaining days and nights where the rest of town dies.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am

Post by BNL »

In post 4, Toomai wrote:
In post 0, BNL wrote:I'm strongly in the camp that endgamed players are not dead
In post 0, BNL wrote:I believe the Mafia's wincon is "Kill all the non-Mafia players", and not "Mafia control 50% of the players"
So if endgamed players are not dead, but the Mafia must dead everyone to win, then you believe endgaming should not be a thing that takes place at all?
If not then that's a highly contradictory pair of opinions.
That was a summary; the full win condition is “Kill all the non-Mafia players, or nothing can prevent the same”. Usually, once the Mafia achieve a majority, the game will result in a scum win no matter what.

However, in cases with equal scum and town going into Night with a town Doctor and Vigilante, they can both prevent a kill from scum and kill town, putting town at majority again, allowing them to regain vote control and kill all the scum. As unlikely as town can win from here, this opportunity must be given. However, the second wincon will rule the game as an immediate scum win without letting the Night play out, which is wrong.
GTKAS - BNL

BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 am

Post by BNL »

In post 5, Cheery Dog wrote:Endgaming is just a forgone conclusion to the results (scum have the majority), it's skipping the remaining days and nights where the rest of town dies.
No. Endgame is ending the game when the game’s outcome is certain without playing out the game.

Consider a Mountainous 2:7 Mafia game where town lose on Day 3. All moderators who bother updating the OP post-game will write “Player, Townie, endgamed Day 3” or similar somewhere in the OP. Pay attention to “endgamed Day 3”; this shows that the townies have already lost on Day 3. The game does not autojump to the point where all townies would eventually be killed by the Mafia, or it would say “died Night 3”, “died Day 4” for the 2 endgamed townies.

Ergo, being endgamed is not being killed.
GTKAS - BNL

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:12 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Cheery is correct, endgaming is merely expediting the process of the other players being killed, just like separating modkilled players is clutter and entirely unnecessary, so is separating endgamed players
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 am

Post by BNL »

In post 8, Not_Mafia wrote:Cheery is correct, endgaming is merely expediting the process of the other players being killed, just like separating modkilled players is clutter and entirely unnecessary, so is separating endgamed players
In post 7, BNL wrote:
In post 5, Cheery Dog wrote:Endgaming is just a forgone conclusion to the results (scum have the majority), it's skipping the remaining days and nights where the rest of town dies.
No. Endgame is ending the game when the game’s outcome is certain without playing out the game.

Consider a Mountainous 2:7 Mafia game where town lose on Day 3. All moderators who bother updating the OP post-game will write “Player, Townie, endgamed Day 3” or similar somewhere in the OP. Pay attention to “endgamed Day 3”; this shows that the townies have already lost on Day 3. The game does not autojump to the point where all townies would eventually be killed by the Mafia, or it would say “died Night 3”, “died Day 4” for the 2 endgamed townies.

Ergo, being endgamed is not being killed.
Please read countered arguments before you post.

Also, I do not separate endgamed players, I put them in the alive spoiler:
BulletNLynchproof wrote:
Spoiler: Alive
  1. Dunnstral
    , endgamed Day 4
  2. Eragon
    , survives and wins!

Spoiler: Dead
Carcalilly
, lynched Day 1
northsidegal
, killed Night 1
Wh4t
, lynched Day 2
schadd_
, killed Night 2
RadiantCowbells
, lynched Day 3
Performer
, killed Night 3
Skygazer
, lynched Day 4
(From my modded Micro 827)
GTKAS - BNL

Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

That makes even less sense
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:35 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I normally use the "will inevitably win" win condition for scum. That means simulating how the rest of the game would play out (which normally involves all the townies dying).

If the scum are defined to win at 50%, then the remaining townies would still be alive.

There are some special cases (e.g. 1 Mafia Goon vs. 1 Bulletproof Townie) where I have a special case in the rules to resolve the endgame situation. In my case, the townie is counted as dying (rather than just losing) just in case it happens to be multiball. In a single-ball game, though, it would be reasonable to count the townie as losing but not dying (after all, scum can neither lynch nor nightkill them).
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 8, Not_Mafia wrote:Cheery is correct, endgaming is merely expediting the process of the other players being killed, just like separating modkilled players is clutter and entirely unnecessary, so is separating endgamed players
This is accurate.
Trans rights are human rights.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 am

Post by the worst »

^ this is basically correct imo
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

You're still welcome to leave endgamed players outside the dead spoiler though, just don't have an alive spoiler.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

Post by callforjudgement »

When the game ends I move everyone into a single "results" spoiler. There's no real sense in having them separate at that point.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 10, Not_Mafia wrote:That makes even less sense
That's how I handle it and how it should be done in my opinion.

The point of an alive/dead spoiler is to not reveal the outcome of the game without clicking it, yes?
So actions should be taken which prevent it from being easy to tell.

I specify in my alive/dead spoilers the number of players contained within said spoiler. (spoiler=alive (3), spoiler=dead (10), etc.) Because I specify the number of people alive and the number of people dead, if I moved endgamed players to be in the dead section, it would almost always universally spoil the outcome of the game simply by the list of players left alive (for instance, 1 player? That's gonna be a scum win guaranteed).

Whereas by NOT moving the endgamed players, it's more ambiguous--say, a 3p lylo happens; 2 in the living spoiler at game over could mean EITHER town wins OR that town was endgamed. Whereas if you have it listed as "alive (1)", people automatically are going to know what the result was.

This applies outside of 3p lylo, too, because of game types/sizes and the day phases in the game. If you know the game ends on D4 in a 13-player game and see only three players listed as alive...then you know it was a scum win; if you instead see six, it's more ambiguous and can very easily be a town win.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Or just remove the numbers once the game ends like I do and nearly everyone else does, it's only relevant information when the game is ongoing
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Post by BNL »

I really wish people came in to actually counter the arguments that I have listed rather than just stating their view on the matter disregarding everything I say.

I'll repeat: The mafia win condition is "You win when the Mafia kill everyone else,
or nothing can prevent the same
." This means that anyone suggesting that the game is fast forwarded to the point where all the townies are dead is wrong.

Yes, this means that if the game is simulated out and will lead to a Mafia victory no matter what they do, then all townies die and the Mafia win. No, this does not mean that those townies in question are dead, because that is only a simulation; the game is not actually played out.
GTKAS - BNL

RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

i'm not understanding the significance of this distinction
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Post by BNL »

The game ends when the Mafia can inevitably kill everyone else. This does not mean that the Mafia have actually killed everyone else.
GTKAS - BNL

Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Post by Firebringer »

i don't get why this matters in any real sense.

unless u want to write some fan stories about mafia games.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 pm

@Annadog40
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 pm

@Vonflare
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:22 pm

@Mina

Return to “Mafia Discussion”