The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18958 (isolation #800) » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by Rhinox »

grrrr why am I not white-listed on the vanilla server

:cry:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18963 (isolation #801) » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Post by Rhinox »

M and davroe were on irc and they got me in :). Maybe they restored the whole whitelist?

I played for a bit, went exploring, and died by a skeleton. The good ole days lol
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18981 (isolation #802) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:48 am

Post by Rhinox »

does this mean vanilla's going to be a ghost town already?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18982 (isolation #803) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:56 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 18977, davesaz wrote:As far as I know, we're planning to keep the vanilla server going too.

Update: The SP6 server is
now operational
with the ScumPack 1.4 level from CurseForge.

If using the Curse client, in the minecraft settings be sure you have "beta" chosen as preferred release, to allow the SP6 files to show.
It could probably be "release" instead but I didn't want it to look misleading if someone other than our little clan decides to download.
Is there something I'm missing on Curse? I've gone into the profile options and set preferred release type to beta but I can't get it to load anything but Minecraft 1.9.4. What do?
edit-had to delete and reinstall selecting beta version to dl to get it to work.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18989 (isolation #804) » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In modded, how do you join/create a team? I see you can claim chunks but need to be on a team first.

I also noticed that I can't interact with stuff inside claimed chunks, like they're under some kind of grief protection. This includes opening doors, so like, I couldn't even get in to visit and look around arch's place. And when my client crashed and respawned, it respawned me outside of the claimed chunks area. So, do claimed chunks have some kind of grief protection or something?

and there's a welcome spawn building thing, but I couldn't get inside because I'm assuming its under spawn protection or something. Can't open the door to get in. I wonder if new people who spawn into the building will be able to open the door to get out? lol.

Last thing, I was inone of the dungeon things earlier today when I logged out, and when I logged back in, I was back outside of the dungeon at the surface. Is that a feature of the dungeon mod or did someone claim the chunks so when I logged in it moved me outside?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19004 (isolation #805) » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:02 pm

Post by Rhinox »

can confirm, still can not get through spawn house door
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19051 (isolation #806) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

Boats are pretty amazing now. I love this river network project
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19061 (isolation #807) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19060, aphix wrote:
In post 19058, McMenno wrote:is there a dynmap for vanilla
You can set up Journey Map.
Tunnel to River Rhinox is complete. I think a few short digs and I should have it connected to the swamp.
Yay!

I got lost in the swamp while trying to find an already existing connection with spawn river lol. I love how boats just mow right through lily pads now without stopping or breaking. Did I mention how amazing boats are now?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19063 (isolation #808) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: My next build?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19065 (isolation #809) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Post by Rhinox »

love the tunnel! nice work
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19075 (isolation #810) » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:00 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Rhinox <3 sheep too!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19078 (isolation #811) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

Who wants a maze? (vanilla server)

Maybe this will be the server I actually complete it and ppl get to try it out lol. I wrote a program (in excel/vba) like almost three years ago holy shit really its been that long?! and never really got to show it off properly. Well I've dusted off my program and began planning again. Is it something people want? Should I go for super difficult straight away or start with easier/smaller mazes and work up to a very hard one? Any preference on where to build? Klaz if you're going to build a gauntlet maybe I could build near there and we can have like a whole minigame district? (Also klaz if you are building a gauntlet and are planning on including the cobweb walk in it I do happen to have a bunch of cobwebs I can donate to the cause.)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19080 (isolation #812) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:29 am

Post by Rhinox »

Maybe. Probably. But... well theres just no other good way to go up or down without ladders. Is it just that they're slow/annoying? Or is it the up and down in general that you don't like? Because functionally a ladder that ends no where isn't any different than a deadend hallway. The way the algorithm works you could turn the whole maze on its side and the ladders would be hallways and the hallways would be ladders. I do try to steer the algorithm away from lots of deadend ladders if thats what it spits out but my goal was a 3-axis maze and not a flat 2-axis maze. I'm open to suggestions if you can think of a better way. I can always rewrite the algorithm. Fwiw i never found the 2-axis mazes very immersive or mazey because they can pretty much always be solved by the "hug a wall" approach ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19083 (isolation #813) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

So i played around with my maze code and hamfisted in a way to control ladder frequency basically by telling it to skip generating a new path extension if the extension is a ladder X% of the time. It results in not only fewer ladders, but also shorter ladders and fewer ladder dead ends.

I'm also playing around with a new maze design idea that would use stairs instead of ladders and bigger than 1x2 hallways so it'd be less claustrophobic and could do more aesthetically. But of course that means bigger and more resources needed. But better, probably.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19085 (isolation #814) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

Its an excel spreadsheet with a vba back end that spits out a schematic i can use to build the maze in minecraft. It essentially is just prim's algorithm (sort of) for finding a minimum spanning tree but instead of a 2d grid I'm using a 3d grid. So instead of 4 potential connections at every node (N S E W) I have 6 (N S E W ladderUP ladderDown). I can just pick a starting point and it will connect to every other node randomly, or I can manually make the whole solution path first and then it just fills in all the remaining space with branches. With prims algorithm there is always 1 possible path from any node to any other node so once the maze generates you can really pick the start and end anywhere.

I built in some minecraft specific parameters such as if choosing ladder Up there needs to be a wall to place the ladder on. And recently i just added the control to be able to make the maze less ladder-y and early tests are looking good.

Its nothing too special really on the back end in fact I'm sure better programmers could write some less clunky and inefficient but the use of excel cell formatting to draw the schematic is the clever part imo.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19092 (isolation #815) » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19086, Raskolnikov wrote:Could you replace some ladders with stairs?
In post 19087, theplague42 wrote:The problem with stairs is they work on a diagonal, meaning they can't work with a 6-axis algorithm (N, S, E, W, Up, Down).
Yes. But I'm working on a solution to that. Different style of maze. No ladders, only stairs. It will still be randomly generated using Prim's but the rules for the allowable connections between nodes will be different. Still working on setting up all the rules in VBA. Also tunnels will be 3x3 instead of 1x2.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19094 (isolation #816) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:42 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19093, Klazam wrote:3x3 mazes
holy shit thats massive
Good thing or bad thing?

Because my program is still a WIP and I was also thinking about how I could program it for 2x2 or even 1x2 hallways and still use stairs. Just got to set up the rules the right way and it can be done. I prefer 1x2 because it allows for more complex mazes in a smaller volume requiring fewer resources. 3x3 would be less complex and take up more volume but there'd be more aesthetic possibilities and maybe it would feel more immersive?

ETA: ok so I can do 2x2 tunnels with 1 block thick walls or 1x2 tunnels with 2 block thick walls and make stairs work. Both have the same complexity/volume but the 1x2 would require more blocks/volume than 2x2 so I think 2x2 might be the sweet spot for a maze with stairs.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19096 (isolation #817) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:33 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19095, Maestro wrote:Do you want to build one in the Gauntlet/Arena Castle thing we're planning?
Yes if that's ok with you guys. Just got to let me know where and how much space I'll have to work with. Are we going to do prizes for finishing or just for fun?

I'll mock up a few different ideas I had this evening and post some pictures here later.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19097 (isolation #818) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Through this together in creative for one idea for a 2x2 pathway maze with stairs and no ladders. It actually looks a little bigger than 2x2 thanks to the upside down half slabs on the floor/ceiling and iron bar walls. Now just imagine it at least 5x bigger in each direction :cool:

Spoiler: give me your iron, glowstone, and nether quartz plox
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19102 (isolation #819) » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 am

Post by Rhinox »

Spoiler: Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to afk auto fish and he'll...
Above loot from afk auto fish farm from 1 fishing rod enchanted with unb III lure II LotS II with just 48 durability remaining when I went AFK around 1:30AM. Around 9AM I was still logged in, not dead, and in the same spot I left myself. My fishing rod was gone (broken from use), and all the loot in the chest was caught on that one rod while I was afk. I forgot to look at my XP but I was around lvl25 when I went AFK so I'm assuming I also went up some levels from fishing XP. With the farm there is also a fishing rod replenishing system so you can fill a dbl chest with fishing rods and whenever the rod you're using breaks it will give you a new one and just keep going. Of course, it won't take long to just get a mending rod doing this and then the XP from fishing keeps the rod at 100% so the rod dispensers become redundant anyways, but....

My farm isn't ready for public use yet but really you should probably want to build your own near your farms/afk locations anyways. Doesn't take a ton of materials to build and nothing too complicated I'd bet everybody already has everything needed to put one together. There's a few different variations I built the panda afk fish farm. The video was labeled for version 1.9 and the video itself talked about 1.7 I think but it still works for our version. Make sure its the version with the iron door and make sure it says it works for SMP. There are repeaters involved that you might need to adjust to get the timing right in order for it to work and when the server gets laggy it might not work at all but seemed to work fine all night for me. Arch/Klaz I think you guys were on while I was afk fishing last night was there any out of the ordinary lag last night that might have been caused by my fishing? There's another version of the same farm with a fence and a sticky piston instead of an iron door. This one is supposed to work for 1.11 (but still works for 1.10) because in 1.11 the door version doesn't work anymore. I was having trouble getting it to work reliably so I switched it over to the door version and it worked a lot better so IMO I'd go with the door version and it will work unless/until we upgrade the server to 1.11.

So really, if you're going to be afk somewhere anyways you might as well be afk fishing too. The only downside is you have to be truly afk. You can't just have minecraft in the background and be doing something else on the computer. The reason is because you need to be constantly spamming right click in order for it to work so minecraft has to be active and the mouse has a specific area to point at and can't be moving. (And you gotta find a way to hold the mouse button down or there is a trick where you can right click and press F11 at the same time or remap the right click button to a key and hold the key down or find some software that can simulate holding down a key or mouse button you can figure out how you wanna do this part on your own. maybe there is even a way to do it where it will work and you can do something else on the computer while it's working idk).
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19105 (isolation #820) » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:25 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Yup

Though I had success doing the Right Click + F11 at some time technique to make the game think I was continuously holding the mouse button without having to actually tape it down.

Oh and the exp from afk fishing got me from level 25 to level 32.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19109 (isolation #821) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19106, Klazam wrote:Rhinox, No lag whatsover last night- did you see what i said about where to build your maze? theres an convenient 30x30x30 slot in the mountain wall facing the bay that could fit one. what do you think?
I didn't see that. I'll stop by and take a look next time I'm on but 30x30x30 actually might not be big enough. I figured I'd need about 40x40x40 to build a maze that was about equally as complex as the pyramid maze I built before. 30x30x30 would be about half as complex as the pyramid. Making it pretty is also an issue because I've done some quick calculations and I'd need to go collect over twice as many raw materials (based on the design in the pics I posted) as the pyramid and then still end up with a maze only half as complex/difficult. I think the pyramid took me a month so I could still be 2-3 months away from finishing a maze (if I used the design in my pics). I could use other more efficient materials, or make it smaller/less complex, or go back to 1x2 pathways and get done quicker.

Best option right now might be to plan on making a less complex maze that fits in with the design scheme of the Gauntlet/Arena Castle thing you guys are building, and then sometime later on I can build the bigger/more complex/nearly impossible super maze as a standalone thing once I'm further along on the server.
Last edited by Rhinox on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19110 (isolation #822) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19108, davesaz wrote:I'm not sure why, but my bobber doesn't rise to the top fast enough to make the afk fish farm (outside my back yard) work. :(
I had to tinker with the repeaters to adjust the timing to get it to work right for me. In the video I saw all the repeaters were just set to the first click. I moved 1 of them all the way up to 4 (can't remember which one) to make the door stay open a few tics longer and that did the trick for me. You also need to aim just right so if its not working you can try to adjust where the mouse is pointing a little bit and try again. I think somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 from the bottom is where it usually works for me. Last thought, I found the timing of when you start holding down right click matters as well. I try to hit and hold right click as soon as the door opens in the cycle and it usually floats in the water first cast. I can stop by when I get on in a few hours and take a look if you haven't got it figured out by then.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19112 (isolation #823) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

definitely need to aim at the water/door behind the water. When the door is closed it should always do empty right clicks without casting. When the door opens it should cast/retrieve into the water and then when the door closes while the bobber is in the water it should stop retrieving and go back to empty right clicks with the bobber in the water. The bobber should activate the trip wire to stop the door cycle so it just keeps empty right clicking until a fish pulls down the bobber which lets the door open and then your retrieve/recast immediately.

Based on what you describe I suspect timing. I think the door needs to be open a little longer to have a longer window to get the bobber in the water before the door closes again. If you've tried adjusting where you look and when you start holding right click then another thought. I'll laugh at you if this is it, but... you remembered to put the string between the trip wires, right? :cool:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19114 (isolation #824) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Post by Rhinox »

So I just went over and checked out your fisher and idk if you worked on it since earlier but it seemed to work great for me. better than mine even I might switch my repeater delays back to the default setting.

here's where I was standing and where I was aiming. working perfectly for me. :shrug:

Spoiler:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19127 (isolation #825) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:12 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19126, Maestro wrote:Also, we have a string farm?! Where?
Just north of my place past the sheep paddock where the desert meets the savanna. There was a surface spawner there and ETL grinderized it.

----------------------

This seems like an apt time to bring this up - I keep finding occasional creeper pockets around my savanna so I'd appreciate if visitors could fill them when they happen. I realize I haven't done a great job of mob-proofing yet but please just be careful if you come through my portal to get to the string farm or just to visit. thanks :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19132 (isolation #826) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

So brought this up with klaz and arch yesterday but something is up with hostile mob spawns... or down rather. As in, they're barely spawning now. Early on I remember running around exploring at night and there were mobs everywhere. They usually spawned in packs of 4 or so, and if you ran away you'd quickly run into a newly spawning pack. Like 20m away or so. It was basically impossible to travel at night even with armor, food, and weapons because there was barely enough time to stop to eat to regain health.

Anyways, yesterday I did a test and ran around the dark areas around my base for an entire night cycle and only managed to find and kill somewhere around 5-10 mobs total. Couple zombies, couple skellies, couple creepers, and that was it. There's no where close to the same amount of mobs spawning as there was early on.

Been doing some research today trying to figure out what the problem might be, because occasionally it would be nice to just run around hunting monsters. Found out hostile mobs have their own cap now (unaffected by passive mobs or anything else) of essentially 70 per player online (unless there is a server cap that is set to something else idk). So it may be that when I was running around early on there could have been many ppl online but I was the only one running around in the dark so of course I was going to get swamped by mobs because the entire cap can spawn around me (say 350 mobs for 5 ppl online). But if I'm the only one on then the cap is lower, only 70 mobs or 1/5 the amount of mob spawns in my area).

Another thought is that after being in an area for a while maybe the underground tunnels start to fill up with mobs and they don't go away until you walk far enough away to force them to despawn. So there's fewer mobs able to spawn on the surface since there's more mobs underground?

The grinders specifically the blaze grinder would count toward the hostile mob limit. If someone is afk at the blaze grinder than fewer mobs can spawn elsewhere.

So maybe this is just settling into an equilibrium due to various factors. Unless someone turned the mob spawning down, or there is some other bug causing the mob spawns to reduce over time. I remember a past server had a problem with mobs wandering into unloaded chunks and disappearing but still counting towards the cap.

Last thing - According to the wiki: "All hostile mobs (including those that are holding items) in a world will despawn if the difficulty is set to peaceful, regardless as to where the player is positioned in the world." So if we want to refresh the hostile mob spawning on the server should be as easy as anyone with OP can temporarily toggle the difficulty to peaceful and then switch it right back to hard (or whatever our current setting is). Only problem with that is anyone with pet hostile mobs named with name tags, they will also despawn if the difficulty is toggled.

Anyways, just some thoughts. In the long term probably not a big deal to have fewer mob spawns. Right now it would be nice to hunt more enderman for ender pearls but that won't be as big a deal once we slay the enderdragon. Also would be nice to find some zombie villagers to cure near my area and that is kinda tough to do if zombies aren't spawning, but I guess there are eventually other ways to acquire some villagers as well. :shrug:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19136 (isolation #827) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Rhinox »

I'm not sure if its as simple as that because according to the official wiki, mobs spawn in a 240x240 block cube centered on the player (15x15 chunks) and any mob that moves or spawns further than 128 blocks from the player despawns immediately anyways which is a 8 chunk radius.

The mob cap formula for hostile mobs is 70 * [Available spawn chunks] / 289 which is essentially 70 x number of players online unless the available spawn chunks per player is less than 289 which only happens if the server distance is set to less than ~8.

Just for reference, I the debug screen just showed ~30/125 for the E entity parameter. There was me and davroe on. Assuming the render distance is set to 8 radius or 16x16 and using the formula I get Cap = 70 * 16*16*2/289 = 124 cap. So that pretty much shows that the current server distance isn't limiting mobs.

Breeding farms shouldn't effect the mob limit because hostile mobs and passive mobs have their own separate spawn limits. Grinders would but the only one that should have a significant effect would be the blaze grinder if someone is afk for a while there before killing them all. The other grinders only use like 4 pop at a time for a few seconds.

Also for reference I have a pen of idk how many cows and I know I have at least 50 sheep so if passive mobs counted towards the same limit as hostile mobs the debug screen should have said something much higher than ~30/125. The 30 it recognizes has got to be the hostile mobs underground within range of where me and dav were when I just got on. When I get on again later I'll do another run around in the dark and try to find mobs and I'll pay attention to the F3 screen this time.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19137 (isolation #828) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Rhinox »

K so etl told me the render distance was 6 on irc so that does limit the mobs somewhat but still should only be about 2/3 the unrestrained cap not 5-10 mobs in a night cycle low. Idk. Just wanna kill some mobs sometime lol
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19143 (isolation #829) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

aphix there was definitely a cow in the nether near your village portal yesterday. I passed it on the way to the jungle portal. Haven't been to your village in a while so idk about the rest. I've had cows in a gated fence enclose for weeks now and haven't had any escape or any problem with the gate. I do know other people have visited my settlement as well because I notice things like when my pumpkins/melons are harvested or last night someone stopped by and harvested/replanted my cocoa seeds (thanks for filling my logs whoever you were!) and haven't had any issues myself with things being messed with except for a couple creeper holes around the outskirts.

Also I did another test yesterday running around to hunt mobs and there seemed to be a reasonable amount that time. Finally got the sniper duel achievement as a result. idk I guess it just depends on how many people are on and whether they're running around in the dark or afk by spawners or just hanging out in lit up areas.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19146 (isolation #830) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19145, aphix wrote:Even though one of those times that gate reversed directions like someone chopped it down and put it on backwards.
I actually had a weird glitch the other day that might be related to this. I saw it happen so I know it was a glitch. I have 2 doors close together in my place both facing the same way and opening the same way. I need to go through both to go down to my mine from outside so I get very used to the doors behaving the same way every time. For some reason though one time I was going through my doors and the game lagged or glitched or something and after that one of my 2 doors started opening the opposite direction (still inward, but with the hinge on the opposite side so the door spun the wrong way). It upset me having the doors work the wrong way so I had to break and replace it haha.

Doesn't explain the missing dirt wall tho :shrug:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19148 (isolation #831) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

Any villagers around your cows? They open doors. Do they open gates too?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19153 (isolation #832) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:02 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Just wanted to show off what I accomplished tonight on Vanilla...

Spoiler: Just a simple furnace room

Spoiler: Wait, what's that sign say?

Spoiler: Yup input is automated too!

Spoiler: Behind the scenes...

Spoiler: The details
This is a 8-furnace smelting system that takes the items to smelt from an input chest and distributes them equally among the 8 furnaces, and then retrieves the smelted items from all 8 furnaces and sends them to an output chest. The system also has a fuel input and a mechanism for distributing the fuel equally across the 8 furnaces. Its not actually entirely necessary to equally distribute the fuel, but it would take 48 stacks of fuel to make sure each furnace had fuel otherwise.

The way it works for the input is you have a row of hoppers each pointing horizontally one to the next at the top. Then underneath the top row you have 2 more rows of hoppers but these ones each point down. And then at the bottom are the furnaces. The 2nd row of hoppers is powered by redstone to prevent items from entering. When you put say a stack of cobble in the input, cobble starts flowing horizontally through the top row of hoppers 1 in each until they would eventually start piling up in the last hopper in the chain. However, at the end of the chain, there is a comparator so that when a single item reaches the last hopper in the chain, the 2nd row unpowers, and the 1 item from each hopper in the top row is moved the 2nd row. When this happens, the comparator toggles again to power the 2nd row, so a 3rd row of hoppers is needed under the 2nd row in order to suck the items out of the row of powered hoppers. (initially I didn't have the 3rd row, and items would still distribute, but 1 item would always get stuck left over in each of the hoppers in the powered row, and only 7 items would make it to each of the 8 furnaces instead of 8 items per furnace)

I the system is expandable up to the point where you would need to start using repeaters to extend the redstone system, but I like 8 furnaces because if you put in 1 stack of items to smelt it will send 8 to each furnace and smelt them all for 1 coal per furnace. I don't like wasting fuel :P. You can use it with any number of items though, but if you just want to smelt say half a stack, it will still use 8 coal so you'd use twice as much. If you only fed it 8 items to smelt it would still use 8 coal. So it's really intended as a volume smelter where you're inputting multiples of full stacks to smelt (up to 88 stacks before it overflows and breaks). Great for feeding all your mining cobble in to, or in my case, the stacks and stacks of fish I've been catching while AFK fishing.

It's really cool that stuff like this is possible in vanilla. But it is expensive. In order to make it work, and get the inputs and output located where I wanted them, I needed to use a total of 66 hoppers. Thats 330 iron and 66 chests (528 planks or 132 logs) to construct the hoppers. So while this is cool, its probably a bit of a novelty but idc I wanted to do it.

What you can do with hoppers and comparators thats more useful is item sorting from a dump chest into expandable storage silos that feed into chests in an organized storage room. I wanna do that too eventually but I'll probably need to do a lot of mining first to replenish my iron stockpile :P
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19161 (isolation #833) » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:04 am

Post by Rhinox »

vanilla servers down atm...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19166 (isolation #834) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:52 am

Post by Rhinox »

Sometime between last night and this morning vanilla started lagging really bad. Only maru was on this morning and idk what he was doing he's afk somewhere which might be causing it. But beds not working redstone not working doors aren't opening/closing well sky keeps skipping back and in my fishing chests this morning I barely had anything. Just a heads up because I thought we had fixed the vanilla lag problem. This is the first major lag since the render distance was changed.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19208 (isolation #835) » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:19 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm a little ways from spawn but I never did build anything cool yet. M/Klaz/Maru are about 1000 blocks away near the ocean they have some cool stuff going on. There's river access all the way there if you follow the river by spawn. Boats are cool now (see thread title). I might try to get back on and play some starting this weekend. Haven't been on for a while. Did anybody ever even slay the ender dragon yet?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19213 (isolation #836) » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19212, Fishythefish wrote:Anyone know if we have a skellie spawner on vanilla? I'm happy to set up an arrow/xp farm on one, but can't find one anywhere.
I know where a spawner is not far from me that hasn't been grinderized yet. I think M has a grinder somewhere but I don't know where. That said, there's a blaze grinder for XP and infinity bows are pretty easy thanks to auto-fishing contraptions. Though I suppose bones/bonemeal still make skellie grinders worth it. And tipped arrows I guess, since they're not infinite.

P.S. nice ravine
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19297 (isolation #837) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19285, Klazam wrote:MC version 1.11.2
IP: 162.223.9.120:25567

PM me for whitelisting, with your username. I'll be as fast as i can. or hit me/M up on IRC, we're basically around a lot of the time there.

On logging on, be ready to swim, you spawn inside of a river.

WHITELISTED PEOPLE
Klazam (Klazam33)
Maestro (wMaestro)
Davesaz (archreplicator)
Accountant (PrincessIvy)
FishyThe Fish (Fishyth3fish)
Errantparabola (tachyglossidae)
Andrius (Sollata)
Untrod Tripod (UntrodTripod)
McMenno (MinecrafterMenno)
Maruchan (mrcheesete0)

That hits everyone that indicated interest i believe.

PM me if i missed anyone or got a username wrong
Me please :D
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19508 (isolation #838) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

Congrats slaying the dragon guys sorry I couldn't join in just haven't had a ton of spare time lately. PS did the main vanilla server dragon ever get slayed?

I'm all for other events particularly ones that don't require long commitments. I can swing 1-night type events pretty easily.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19510 (isolation #839) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:01 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 19509, Fishythefish wrote:On the main vanilla - I had a go at finding a fortress. I got to a point where I lost an ender eye because is went straight down in the middle of an ocean, but never found it. Might resume the quest some time :)
Well, I do know that a fortress was already found, and the end had been visited. Always thought we were going to organize a group slaying but that never happened that I know of. Wasn't sure if it was slayed or not. If it was at least the dragon can be reborn indefinitely. Just thought it'd be fun to do it together the first time but I guess ppl might not be that interested in it now after doing the event server thing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19690 (isolation #840) » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:25 am

Post by Rhinox »

I haven't been on in a while but I did log into vanilla the other day and was happy the world still existed. Don't know if or how much I'll be playing in the future but would be more likely if the existing vanilla world remains/continues. Is it possible to upgrade to 1.12 without a fresh world and just travel to new chunks for new content?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19727 (isolation #841) » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:47 am

Post by Rhinox »

pretty sure the vanilla server we use already has irc?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19843 (isolation #842) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hey guys. Just sitting around today missing playing minecraft with all of you. I'm about to be on leave from work for 2-3 weeks and I'd love to jump on and play some minecraft again. Maybe actually build that maze I've been planning on building for years... (expecting my 2nd to be born any day now. So I'll be on leave for that and probably busy, but also there'll be pockets of downtime where I'd otherwise be bored out of my mind). Anyone currently playing? Is the OP still up to date for servers/packs? I don't see vanilla listed there anymore, so I'm guessing that means that server has been sent to the void?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19847 (isolation #843) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 am

Post by Rhinox »

There's a new aquatic update out (now? soon? idk when)... could be a good time for a new vanilla server... :)

pedit: congrats!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19852 (isolation #844) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

IRC is cool
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19855 (isolation #845) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Cool, I'll maybe get on tonight if I can figure out how to get the pack installed
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19872 (isolation #846) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:49 am

Post by Rhinox »

me waiting for the modpack to load:

Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19953 (isolation #847) » Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Post by Rhinox »

What mod can i use to build a kick ass maze?

<3 you guys wish I had time to play
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20289 (isolation #848) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20288, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:Miss playing minecraft for one summer, forget everything.
Truth
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20355 (isolation #849) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'd come back for an active vanilla server <3 you all
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20417 (isolation #850) » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Oh yay its happening <3
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20473 (isolation #851) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hey everythings looking good you guys! Lots of progress being made already. I've settled in a nice little hollow in the middle of the dark forest not too far from spawn town for now.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20492 (isolation #852) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:57 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20487, Maestro wrote:
In post 20473, Rhinox wrote:Hey everythings looking good you guys! Lots of progress being made already. I've settled in a nice little hollow in the middle of the dark forest not too far from spawn town for now.
The one south of the main group? Past the river-side Grass Path road with 2 tunnels? :)

If so, you're near me and Klaz! Welcome to Honeyopolizaville (unless Klaz had some other name in mind)
I think that's the one. I know I'm not far from where you told me you were, couple hundred blocks maybe. Around -400, 700. I was gonna settle up in the mountains but I saw this little hollow from the top. Got a bunch of torches on the ground now and a little cobble hut for shelter but I'm no where near mob-safe yet with the dark forest all around me. Still trying to get out of the stone age and into the iron age.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20493 (isolation #853) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20491, James Brafin wrote:Plant the crop.
Does anyone know what spawn chunks are? Asking for a friend.
The path heads back to the spawn shelter which is in or very near spawn. Breaking your bed then hugging a creeper probably the quickest way to find out ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20500 (isolation #854) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20496, Maruchan wrote:Town is officially mobproof
I'm definitely building a house in town once I get my feet under me a bit. :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20507 (isolation #855) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

Should start posting some pictures ;)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20569 (isolation #856) » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20560, Maestro wrote:Finally, I would love your permission to use your own style and add a station for Honeyopolis Resort/South Spawntown/Whatever we end up calling the area where Klaz, Rhinox, and I have settled.
yes! I'll build my branch line from my house to this station :)
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20570 (isolation #857) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Just a heads up I'm gonna be AFK for the next 6-8 hours give or take (overnight). No one is on right now, but when I get back on in the morning if it turns out it was inconveniencing anyone I'll figure something else out the next time I wanna go AFKing.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20583 (isolation #858) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by Rhinox »

Near my IRL house there is a new housing development going in where an old golf course used to be. Large flat area. They came in, clear cut all the trees (still surrounded by trees at the borders), and pretty much bulldozed the whole thing flat. The built a couple model homes already right in the corner near the entrance. I was driving by at night last week and noticed they put street lights scattered all throughout the cleared area, probably where the roads will be tho there aren't any roads yet. It looks like minecraft IRL, scattering torches all around to keep the mobs from spawning :lol: . I meant to have a pic to share with this story but there's been too much traffic to stop and snap one each time I've driven by.

------------------------

Also it's that time again... to start maze planning. Probably 7 years ago I built my first maze in the 3rd realm I believe. It was small and annoying with doors and ladders and pretty improvised. I've been mostly planning ever since, a couple failed projects, the big ziggurat one with the dragon on top got finished but the server died without really being able to give it a grand opening. I've written 3 different versions of an excel VBA schematic generating scripts over the years, and today I just finished updating the version I started over 2 years ago (wow !!) for a 2x2 maze with staircases and it works great! I know exactly what I want the maze to look like. I need to pick block theming and collect a metric f*ckton of resources but I really want this to be the server I finally complete a maze and other people actually get to try before the world inevitably implodes :] (talking about the vanilla server obvs).
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20585 (isolation #859) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20584, Klazam wrote:RHINOX

Let me know the space you need, I'd love for the maze to be inside Honeypolis Resort.
As long as you build a gauntlet next door I'm fine with anywhere ;). Still working out the size details but footprint will probably end up being pretty big for what I'm planning.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20595 (isolation #860) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:58 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20592, Maestro wrote:Sure RC!

Also, Vanilla peeps, we gotta move to snapshots soon... this looks amazing
In post 20593, Maruchan wrote:We're still not even on 1.13 :P
I'm all for moving up to the newer shinier versions so long as the moves are never accompanied by world restarts. We might as well at least go to 1.13.2 whenever.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20645 (isolation #861) » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Post by Rhinox »

My name is Rhinox. I am a survivor living in MS Vanilla. I am broadcasting on all Discord frequencies. I will be at the South Spawntown Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there... I can provide food, I can provide shelter, I can provide enchanted books and bows. If there's anybody out there... anybody... please. You are not alone.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20789 (isolation #862) » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:44 am

Post by Rhinox »

o/

count me in!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20793 (isolation #863) » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:59 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 20791, davesaz wrote:Which "this"?
vanilla realms for me of course
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20828 (isolation #864) » Fri May 29, 2020 5:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

Despite being home all the time now, I'm working from home while watching my kids so unfortunately have even less time than I normally would to get on.

I did see something about an upcoming new nether update with new ore to improve diamond armor which looks fun. Is there an active vanilla world right now? If not might be a good time once that update goes live?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20869 (isolation #865) » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:21 am

Post by Rhinox »

Heyyy am I still whitelisted for modded? Maybe I'll try joining tonight!
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20946 (isolation #866) » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:03 am

Post by Rhinox »

Hi friends o/

Looks like some fancy stuff ETL. I'd love to join and try it but not sure my once mighty computer is still up to the task. This weekend it overheated and shut itself down twice just trying to launch vanilla Minecraft :eek: . Of course it could have been that we hardly ever use the ol' workhorse anymore so it was trying to do a million updates and antivirus scans at the same time and I was being impatient :shifty: .

My oldest son is 6 now and I introduced him to Minecraft this weekend. With the workstation having its issues long story short I'm giving bedrock edition a try on a Kindle tablet with a Bluetooth gamepad. Currently my son watches me play and helps/make suggestions and I occasionally let him try to move our character around without much success lol. Once he gets the hang of things, it'll be nice we can play together on different devices over LAN without needing to host a server somewhere.

How's the MS server doing? Is it just modded now or is there still a relic vanilla server lying around somewhere? Anyone else playing on bedrock edition?

Return to “The Arcade”