Micro 845: The Room Odds - Game Over

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Get a room: Something_Smart and Flavor Leaf

I need this.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 pm

I guess I'm technically not allowed to share my comments on the room now :P

Ah, well, I'll do it in the PT.
Last edited by BNL on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #54 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:10 am

I mean, having a room you might not use is better than not having that room... we have nothing to lose by rooming at least two of Persivul/Gamma/Dunn.

And Dunn, scum can pocket people inside rooms, but it's usually harder than doing it in thread for all but the most skilled scum players (tris beware! :P)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #60 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 am

It only interferes with interaction for 96 hours per game day, but we get the rooms for the whole game.

Besides, the room mechanic is cool. Let's use it :P
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #122 (isolation #4) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am

Everything I do is for a purpose.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #135 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:23 pm

I'd like to involve myself more in the conversation but my post restriction forbids me ;)
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #138 (isolation #6) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Not an awful lot.

Given the fairly obvious answer Gamma's recent question to me rings somewhat hollow.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #161 (isolation #7) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Sup :P

It's the middle of the night so I can't say everything I want to say. But the first and most important thing is, I have a lot of respect for Boon as a strategist, and I love playing with him... but he's literally been scum in every game we've ever played together. So while I do want rooms just for the sake of having rooms, I especially wanted one with him.

And it did occur to me that he and I are in the highest scum slots and are also high with each other, so I don't think his frame comment was unreasonable (I thought of it myself, and he very much thinks this way), but I think the benefit that will come from us being able to discuss privately if we are both town will be worth it.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #190 (isolation #8) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:16 am

I think it's time for more rooms... I'd prefer one with Plot but if he way to go with Flavor I can get one with someone else.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #191 (isolation #9) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:17 am

*wants to go with Flavor, thanks autocorrect
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #198 (isolation #10) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 am

Get a room: Gamma Emerald, Clemency
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #201 (isolation #11) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Get a room: Gamma Emerald, Clemency
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #219 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:21 am

Sorry for the inactivity.

I'll try and do something tonight.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #230 (isolation #13) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Sure, I'd be down, it might motivate me to increase my activity a little :P

depends on my schedule though

Get a room: Something_Smart, tris
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #254 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:16 am

Ruby, rooms are the whole point of the game :P I read this game where the rooms were used by town to devastating effect.

And Gamma, pay attention to timing and don't ask questions that can't be answered.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #276 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:01 am

Plotinus, I don't see anything wrong with your case per se. But I'm pretty sure, at the very least, him complaining about the rooms is something he'd do as either alignment.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #284 (isolation #16) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 am

Hmm, if Clemency thought those quotes were real comments about this game, I'd expect he'd have stronger words to say about it than that.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #304 (isolation #17) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:06 am

Right, Dunn is in this game.

I feel like that's a good sign?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #328 (isolation #18) » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 am

In post 326, tris wrote:
In post 322, tris wrote:@Gamma Why aren't you voting anyone?
I guess this question could also be asked of Something_Smart
Don't have any strong enough scumreads

Guess I should probably check the deadline though
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #355 (isolation #19) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Here and ready to hammer Gamma. I feel like it would be a bit shitty to jump in with a hammer after being inactive all day, so I'll at least wait a few minutes if anyone wants to say anything.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #357 (isolation #20) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:50 pm

Gonna take that as a no then.
VOTE: Gamma Emerald
Bombs away!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #360 (isolation #21) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Clemency might have been all right, I feel like losing town-Flavor or town-Plotinus to a shitty deadline lynch would have been a tough blow.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #380 (isolation #22) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:16 am

Plotinus, I'd like to hear about what went on in your room with tris.

If you want to tell me in a room, I'd be down.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #381 (isolation #23) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:20 am

Get a room: Plotinus, Something_Smart

Don't hammer this without Plotinus's approval, same as I'm not hammering the above room without Ruby's approval.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #404 (isolation #24) » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:29 am

Dunn why is Flavor scum?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #422 (isolation #25) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:22 am

VOTE: Nancy
If Plotinus, Clemency, and Flavor are all town you have an 80% chance of being scum.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #425 (isolation #26) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 am

I don't know you well enough to answer that.

But based on what I saw in Excalibur there are plenty of worlds where town-you locks into a wrong read and loses the game for town.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #428 (isolation #27) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 am

Who's my partner?

Dunnstral, 0.56% chance?

Or Persivul, 0.56% chance?

Your theory has a 1% chance of being true. Whereas the probability that you are town and just cleared a mafia are much higher.

And if you're willing to push a lynch based on a crackpot theory that has a prior of 1%, I will happily policy lynch you and never look back.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #429 (isolation #28) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:32 am

I'm not voting you because I think you are scum.

I want you to change your reads.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #430 (isolation #29) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 am

I can't believe you even said "VCA never lies" with a straight face.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #433 (isolation #30) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:39 am

Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Is SS isn’t scum here, I have no business playing mafia anymore. :lol:
Nah, that's not true. You just need to seriously evaluate how you play.

I'm fairly confident you're town, by the way. I'm also confident that if you're not lynched today town will lose.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #434 (isolation #31) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:41 am

In post 432, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:So, tell me once again oh wise one, how any of the Persivul voters could possibly be scum here?
If one of them... got a red role PM?

Is this a trick question?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #438 (isolation #32) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:49 am

Scum don't have to push mislynches if town is doing it for them.

Scum's wincon is to not die.

Scum would actually rather no mislynch gets majority.

Scum can vote whoever they want.

Your reads are awful. If you're town and alive in LYLO, it's likely you vote a townie.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #441 (isolation #33) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 am

Scum won't NK you if you're going to win the game for them.

And I'm not opposed to lynching scum on the Gamma wagon. I'm opposed to locktowning everyone off it.

I guess you have a point. If literally everyone in the game agrees to ignore you completely, then we can just treat today as LYLO. But if we lynch you first, we force scum to kill someone, and nobody is really obvious town.

Here's a question. If literally every other player in this game told you you were wrong about how VCA worked, would you believe us?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #443 (isolation #34) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:02 am

In post 440, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:So tell me how it’s even remotely in scum’s interest to be on the counterwagon here?
Because they'd do it as town.
Because they want Persivul dead over Gamma.
Because they want to hurt town's cohesion.
Because they want to stay off a mislynch so they don't get blamed for it.

If Persivul is town scum had absolutely no fear of being lynched yesterday. They could do whatever they wanted.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #445 (isolation #35) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:04 am

Scum let obvtown you get to LYLO if they think you'll vote a townie. It only takes ONE town player being suspected to lose in LYLO.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #447 (isolation #36) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 am

In post 444, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I keep asking you to EXPLAIN to me, the scum motivation in scum being offwagon in a 5-3 vote, which you have yet to do.
Scum want to avoid getting caught. In order to do so, they avoid acting in predictable ways.

You have over 5000 posts. You can't honestly say you've never seen scum be off a wagon for towncred.

Furthermore, many players play scum by emulating what they would do as town. Therefore, if any of those players would townread Gamma or scumread Persivul as town, they might do it as scum.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #448 (isolation #37) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:10 am

In post 446, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:So you’re saying you think it was a TvT wagon? So, A) why are you convinced Persivul is town and B) who do you think was scum on that wagon?
I don't necessarily think both scum were off, but the numbers say that probably one was. I don't think we can say for sure, which is why I pushed against you when you did.

I'm not convinced Persivul is town. But I thought his interactions, especially trying to quote a room, were genuine, and since I now townread your slot if he is scum he was probably bussed which is also unlikely.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #451 (isolation #38) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:45 am

In post 449, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:But tell me why you’re so convinced Persivul is town, because that is the lynchpin holding your theory together.
I feel like Persivul being scum is the linchpin of YOUR theory, my theory is just that we don't know. I kind if think everything that just went down is more evidence for him being town... if he wasn't bussed, his partner is either Dunn or you, and Dunn/Persivul has a low probability.

UNVOTE:
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #452 (isolation #39) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:49 am

I don't really know who is scum. Game was pretty dead before you replaced in. Townblocking seems like the way to go, and that's my go-to method anyway. Hopefully this interaction will generate some interesting discussion in my rooms.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #462 (isolation #40) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:59 am

Get a room: Nancy and Plotinus
In post 453, Plotinus wrote:@Something_Smart now that we've had some flips, your chances of being scum with Dunnstral or Persivul has risen to a 0.91% chance each (or a combined 1.82%). I realise this doesn't detract from your point in a meaningful way but it itched.
Right, thanks for pointing that out. I was somewhat in a hurry to get my point across and it didn't occur to me.

Get a RoomNancy Drew 39, Plotinus (3): Nancy Drew 39, Plotinus, Something_Smart
(R-0)

Persivul, Ruby Red, Flavor Leaf (2): Flavor Leaf, Dunnstral
(R-3)

Persivul, Flavor Leaf (1): Persivul
(R-2)

Not Voting (1): Clemency

It takes 2n-1 votes to get a n player Room.

Nancy Drew 39
and
Plotinus
have gotten a Room
Last edited by BNL on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #463 (isolation #41) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 am

In post 454, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Well. I know it’s not me obviously but Dunn made this post, about having a tpr protect either my slot or the NK right? so why does scum!Dunn do that?
Well, could be that he didn't expect the deflector to listen to him. Could also be that he expected the deflector to deflect onto a townie if they did target tris.

I've seen scum-Dunn make the mechanically suboptimal choice just for WIFOM before, so it's not impossible that he did it here.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #481 (isolation #42) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:35 pm

In post 474, Dunnstral wrote:Keep in mind that SS never voted for that 3 person room
I vote for a room if and only if everyone included in the room has voted for it.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #544 (isolation #43) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 am

In post 529, Flavor Leaf wrote:I’m just saying even if something has a 1% chance, there’s always the chance that could have been the one picked. It’s a raffle, and some people bought more tickets.
Maybe, but it's the less harmful of the two fallacies. It's much more common, and dangerous, to treat a small chance as a serious possibility. 1% = 0% for me, and I will happily accept the ~5% chance of autoloss that entails in order to help me enormously in the other 95% of cases.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #545 (isolation #44) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:01 am

In post 500, Flavor Leaf wrote:However, Nancy’ll likely obvtown if town, so I’m not too worried.

Get A Room: Persivul/Flavor
You don't think she already has?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #546 (isolation #45) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:06 am

In post 502, Dunnstral wrote:This doesn't look like your town game and it's clear you don't intend to work with me, so now you can die too, especially after you aided plotinus with misleading nancy then gave a generic excuse without caring that I'd never responded to you.
What would "working with you" entail? I don't recall seeing any signs that you wanted to do that...

Do you want a room together?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #547 (isolation #46) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:09 am

And saying that I "aided Plotinus in misleading Nancy" and then "gave a generic excuse" about it is some serious begging the question... you're assuming an ulterior motive for voting for that room, because it's completely reasonable that I'm town and have a policy of simply giving people what they want, which is a generic policy because it's a very simple one.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #548 (isolation #47) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:15 am

Get a room: Dunnstral, Something_Smart

Nobody hammer this unless Dunn says he's okay with it.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #549 (isolation #48) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:18 am

By the way Dunn:
In post 381, Something_Smart wrote:
Get a room: Plotinus, Something_Smart

Don't hammer this without Plotinus's approval, same as I'm not hammering the above room without Ruby's approval.
This was before the hammer of Plotinus/Nancy that I supposedly made an excuse for.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #571 (isolation #49) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:35 am

VOTE: Clemency
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #671 (isolation #50) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:09 am

Someday Boon will be town in a game that I am in...

But it is not this day.

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”