[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #671 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 am

Post by northsidegal »

Sounds a little bit like Elemental Large, although I missed the point about there being randomly 2 of the colored cops.

Actually on further thought it's really not all that like elemental large.

What's the purpose of mafia knowing which one doesn't exist?
Last edited by northsidegal on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #673 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 am

Post by northsidegal »

seems a little scumsided to me on first look. the cops seem low-utility considering that even if you correctly target scum there's only a 1/3 chance that you actually get an incriminating result and "innocent" results are only retroactively useful after lynching a specific colored goon. along with the existence of essentially a godfather and scum being able to fakeclaim cop, it seems to me like it'd basically just be 13 player double day with 3 named townies.

edit: the retroactive innocents may be more useful than i'm giving them credit for.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #676 (isolation #2) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:11 am

Post by northsidegal »

i like that idea, both in terms of the setup and the flavor.

i think you should make a setup thread about this.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #790 (isolation #3) » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Post by northsidegal »

moonlight dancer is basically a named role that can mod-confirm as named, right?

if so i can't really see much utility for the werewolf moonlight dancer outside of fringe lylo counterclaiming scenarios. that basically turns the 2 town MD's into innocent children except worse given that they're forced to out themselves if the werewolf MD claims town MD when run up. 3:10 with 2 innocent children is already unbalanced (in favor of scum), so i would expect that setup to be fairly scumsided.

(interestingly, there was discussion in the NRG of whitelisting a modifier that does essentially what a moonlight dancer does — mod-confirms a role rather than mod-confirming an alignment, as with an innocent child.)

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #981 (isolation #4) » Tue May 12, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by northsidegal »

games that turn the town into an informed majority can be easily broken and tend to degenerate into assassin in the palace-style gameplay where you just don't really say anything and just vote

here's an example of the last game of this type that was run (to my knowledge) where cultofathena had the game solved by page 3. i think that there's basically no way to avoid stuff like that from happening in AitP-style setups

even if you still wanted to run that setup i think that the town bodyguard would be too much, or at the very least it'd be a poor mechanic? there are some weird moving parts when it comes to how the bodyguard probably protects the flagbearer every night and so if the BG dies then scum should know who the flagbearer is anyways and thus if there are 2 scum alive they've already won and if there's only 1 scum alive then all they need to do is survive another day

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #986 (isolation #5) » Fri May 29, 2020 3:00 pm

Post by northsidegal »

arguably it's more townsided than vanilla 4/8 nightless if you consider shorter deadlines to help town

seems like fun though, yeah. i imagine that it'd be pretty popular.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1061 (isolation #6) » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:37 pm

Post by northsidegal »

town (arguably) loses the benefit of being able to meta sort people, but they gain the benefit that scum can only nightkill people that they know the identity of rather than the strongest townies, and possibly nobody at all if everyone is good at keeping their identity hidden

if people are bad at keeping their identity hidden then probably it's much worse than mountainous for town given multiple nightkills a night, but if they're good then it becomes wildly in town's favor as essentially nightless (or only one kill)

also, and this might be a minor point, but people could potentially become harder to sort as they take efforts to play differently in order to conceal their main, thus hurting town

highly swingy, perhaps highly skewed? but arguably somewhat balanced

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1167 (isolation #7) » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 am

Post by northsidegal »

would be interested in any feedback here