Song Contest 127 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:48 am

Post by Parama »

In post 3, MiniDeathStar wrote:We can't reuse the same country names as before, I take it? D:
exactly the opposite, you have the country name you used last contest reserved for this one
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Post by Parama »

was gonna skip this one then decided i hated myself enough to enter

i was originally gonna enter a 17 minute ambient track (that i genuinely love) but i decided that would be too mean even for how much i don't care
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:10 am

Post by Parama »

That's an arbitrary BTBAM entry alright
Like a fine enough song but not really a noteworthy one in their discography
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Parama »

Y'all are getting my hopes up now, stop it
Also I wish davsto was still here I bet he'd love my song this time
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Post by Parama »

Estonia – Generic as hell EDM with particularly annoying percussion. Belongs on a club dancefloor, not as a piece of music to actually be listened to on its own. I don’t understand what you can get out of this as anything other than a dance track. (MEDIOCRE)

Bhutan – What I get even less is the appeal of “sounds like a child” J-pop. What appeal does this shrill, breathy vocal tone have to anyone, I have never understood it. The only positive factor is an okay melody in the drop but I have absolutely no desire to listen to this ever again.

Monaco – Oh yeah, this group. Oh yeah, this song. Yeah. It’s fine. Not a huge fan of the synths but otherwise it’s an okay tune. (AVERAGE)

Greenland – Oh these guys. I missed them because I was too young to be listening to this when they were really big and then when I was a teenager and in the valid age range I skipped straight to listening to stuff like Dream Theater and thus was pretentious and totally above bands like this. This is pretty fine but it doesn’t really emotionally resonate and again has some synths I’m not a huge fan of. Still probably the best thing so far though. (DECENT)

Northern Ireland – Nice groove to this, it’s decently fun and the instrumentation is pretty nice too. A bit repetitive by the end and the vocals are nothing special but it’s alright enough. (AVERAGE)

Hungary – Figured this was some kind of video game music based on how it sounds but it’s apparently some sort of fractal composition or something from some random composer dude. To me it sounds boring at best and like trash at worst. I have no use for this. Jute Gyte does the same “mathematical formula” thing with black metal and it’s equally awful and useless.

Egypt – Oh I remember this guy from an earlier contest. I remember not being particularly positive about him. This started out with some potential despite being kind of slow but it all just falls apart in the middle with a weird key change. Half the song is fine though I guess and it kind of comes back together by the end? It at best sounds nice, at worse sounds disjointed, and never really evokes any kind of emotions though. (MEDIOCRE)

USA – Actually decent synths on this one, in contrast to a lot of the stuff so far. Okay groove too but not as good as Ireland’s. Dunno I don’t have much to say about this one that I didn’t say about that one, really. It’s also pretty fine. (AVERAGE)

this sure is a contest
well yeah better than the last one i guess
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:45 pm

Post by Parama »

Finland – Oh yeah I think I checked out like the first few tracks of these guys’ latest album last year. Checking out only a few tracks should give a good indication that I wasn’t a huge fan. Well mostly I don’t like the spoken word bits, other than that they’re just. Pretty serviceable symphonic metal. Which is fine to be, just never holds my interest for long. (DECENT)

Syria – Like I can’t get over how weird of a pick this is for BTBAM. A relatively overlooked EP and not even the best song on it too. I dig how they reprise the starting motif in a few places throughout and there’s some good moments here but it’s not their best work nor did I remember a single thing about it until I relistened. And it’s too heavy on the metal elements for this crowd, you’d do a lot better sending Voice of Trespass I’d think. Really this is making me glad they pivoted away from the heavy chuggy metal sounds on their last two releases, they basically perfected it on The Great Misdirect so the only move left was to shift towards more melodic prog metal. Uhh but yeah this will likely get my 12 just on the basis of being a solid BTBAM song. (GOOD)

South Korea – Oh they’re trying to be like a less industrial NIN, or that’s the vibe I get from this at least. Nooot really my thing. Some okay groove but I don’t like the vocals at all. Eeww no that rapping doesn’t work at all either. I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world but I Do Not Like It, Davis. (MEDIOCRE)

Slovenia – Huge influx of rock & metal this contest it feels like, geez. And like, not “indie rock” that’s indistinct from field recordings in terms of personality. Anyways this is just totally fine power metal with no real distinguishing traits. I like exactly two power metal albums, those being Kamelot’s Faust albums, and only more because of it being a concept album pair & having some more prog elements to it. This doesn’t really add anything to the conversation but I guess it probably appeases the crowd who likes having the same sounds recycled over and over. And yeah it’s fine to listen to, “epic” and energetic and all that stuff power metal is. I don’t dislike it at all but I don’t expect to remember a single second of it after this contest. (AVERAGE)

North Korea – The stuttering is obnoxious and that repeating synth line in the background sounds gross but they’re pretty solid singers otherwise and there’s at least some groove here. The arbitrary rap verse makes even less sense here though since like, what’s the point of it to anyone who doesn’t understand Korean. I’unno I don’t hate it but I doubt I’ll care about it in five seconds. (AVERAGE)

Poland – Mm. It’s fun enough and has some decent groove, but I’m not much a fan of the vocals. I’d still prefer to hear country in this vein over most modern country though. (AVERAGE)

Australia – Okay so just looking at the artist picture I expect to LOATHE this. Seems like the dudes in that pic aren’t bothering to open their mouths though, the singer they did get is actually pretty good. Not 100% a fan of some of the synth choices but otherwise this has some decent atmosphere and solid vocals, yeah, I’m actually pretty on board with this. (DECENT)

Iceland – Mix classic prog with some elements of black metal and an occult theme and that’s basically this entire album but especially this gem of a song, I love how it builds from dark and brooding to kind of cheesy and over the top into a straight out fun instrumental jam by the end, such a good damn song.

Liechtenstein – Nope, this is a parody vid and thus not a song that I need to waste time listening to. NEXT. Oh wait. This is the end.

yeah we'll call this above average for a song contest i guess
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 am

Post by Parama »

btbam only got my 10 because i knew it already & there was one song about as good that i didn't know before so that got my 12 instead

only my 1-pointer is a song i didn't really care for much at all, everything else is solid
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (isolation #7) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Post by Parama »

i misread that as "slightly better version of Chandelier" at first and was about to write a very angry post
interestingly we share 3 of our top 4 picks
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (isolation #8) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 am

Post by Parama »

Revising one of my comments in light of the above

Bhutan - You can listen to this
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (isolation #9) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

Post by Parama »

Swim to the Moon is my least favorite song on TGM, tbh (but TGM is my favorite BTBAM by a good margin and SttM is still pretty good)

As some who frequents prog metal circles I've never heard anyone ever highlight this song as a standout, though I mean I'm not in all circles so SHRUG.

Regardless it's not a song contest friendly piece; again I refer to voice of trespass being the kind of BTBAM song that'd do a lot better here
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

Post by Parama »

Colors is pretty great from track 4 onwards
Sun of Nothing and White Walls I like a bit more than Ants but they're all good
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Post by Parama »

Also results when rabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (isolation #12) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:01 am

Post by Parama »

Oh wait it's only January 8th so results won't be up for two weeks
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #53 (isolation #13) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Parama »

Wow these results are meh so far
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (isolation #14) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 am

Post by Parama »

Probably the most boring possible winner
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Post by Parama »

I'm always right
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”