PRO WRESTLING THREAD!!!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Pronoun: They

Post Post #18  (isolation #0)  » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:23 am

I'm on the periphery of fandom right now; I keep up with news and look up matches and segments as they get buzz. About all I bother with these days. I'm told WWE is great again, so I'm considering picking up the Network, but I'm afraid that I'd never get around to watching 6 hours of wrestling every week.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #30  (isolation #1)  » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm

Call me boring, but my favorites are Shawn, Bret, Owen, and Taker. I've also got a soft spot for ludicrously immobile big guys, like Kevin Nash or Khali, for reasons I can never explain. I never really got into the weird shit in wrestling until I got older, but I'll always hold the Crush-Doink feud in my heart.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #33  (isolation #2)  » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 am

Given my feelings about the man, I wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing that HBK is apparently going to remain retired.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #45  (isolation #3)  » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 am

Here's a good way of determining whether something in wrestling is a work or a shoot: if his mic wasn't cut and the camera didn't cut away, then it was a work.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #50  (isolation #4)  » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:31 am

I like Ziggler; he bounces around the ring like Mr. Perfect used to do. He just has a super bland style and seems to have little personality or charisma. That said, I haven't watched week-to-week since Jack Swagger was a serious competitor, so what do I know.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #55  (isolation #5)  » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Isn't the "boyhood dream" exactly the same gimmick they ran when Shawn Michaels won his first world title? How long until Ziggler loses his smile?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #71  (isolation #6)  » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:49 am

In post 70, Panzerjager wrote:Lucha Underground is really good. I'm still in season 1 tho

Where are you watching it? DVD?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #91  (isolation #7)  » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Who's that guy with the beard who uses a staple gun on people? I think he was in The Wrestler. Is he still around? He looked like he was ready to drop dead in the movie.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #102  (isolation #8)  » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:06 am

He can also be seen sitting entirely by himself at conventions.

I've heard different stories about how he got the Virgil name. Everybody agrees that he's named after Dusty, but some people think it was a mean-spirited joke by McMahon, and others say it was a friendly rib by DiBiase on an old friend. Not sure what to believe.

And while we're on the subject, in addition to being named Virgil and Vincent, he spent the later part of his WCW career working under the name Shane, so basically his career is built around being a rib on more successful people.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #105  (isolation #9)  » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:00 am

I would, but apparently the WWE has no plans to come to the western US, much less the Pacific NW.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #108  (isolation #10)  » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 am

In post 107, Panzerjager wrote:They were just on the west coast like...a month ago, my sister went.

That doesn't help me now, though, does it? When I checked the dates available for sale, it looked like it was all New England and Great Lakes region shows.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #110  (isolation #11)  » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:59 am

Ew, Florida.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #112  (isolation #12)  » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Royal Rumble is generally a better show, but I'm not understanding how Texas is any better than Florida.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #116  (isolation #13)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:37 am

Okay, for real though, my tv I'd finally here and set up. Network worth getting? Raw and Smackdown and NXT all worth watching?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #120  (isolation #14)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:50 am

It's cool. I've been listening to some recap podcasts of the New Gen and Attitude eras, and a lot of things they talk about on those shows is a lot different than I seem to remember as a kid. I remember the Attitude Era as being genius, but I think it might just be that there was a million things happening all the time, and I only bothered to remember the best stuff.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #122  (isolation #15)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Currently, I listen to New Generation Project and How2Wrestling. I listened to the Attitude Era Podcast, but they kinda ended, but are talking about coming back.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #124  (isolation #16)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:45 pm

I think my main issue is that I wouldn't be sure where to start. I'd probably begin by watching the NXT stuff, and probably start watching Raw/Smackdown/NXT weekly (or at least highlights thereof), but if I want to go back in time and watch an old PPV, which do I pick? Do I just start at Wrestlemania I? Do I just watch all the Royal Rumbles or all the Wrestlemanias? Do I skip the In Your Houses that kinda sucked? Do I follow along with the podcasts I listen to? It's a bit overwhelming, but I guess that I'm ultimately complaining about having too much content, which is at least a nice problem to have.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #127  (isolation #17)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Took the plunge, decided to start with Fell in a Cell since it was the most recent ppv. Probably go to NXT after this.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #128  (isolation #18)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:14 pm

What happened to Foley's face?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #130  (isolation #19)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:09 pm

The cell made him grow a grizzly beard?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #138  (isolation #20)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:20 pm

I met Matt Borne once.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #140  (isolation #21)  » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Nah, his sister lived in the apartment next to mine growing up, and he visited once. So "meeting" is really more like "I saw him once walking down the hall".

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #144  (isolation #22)  » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm

When you said that Raw was delayed, I thought that meant "Oh, you have to wait until Tuesday". I wasn't expecting the Network to be a month behind.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #146  (isolation #23)  » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:07 pm

Fair enough, I just can't figure out why the Network thinks I care about Raw a month and two PPVs after they happen. So now I have to find some other way to keep up with what's going on week-to-week.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #149  (isolation #24)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:34 am

It's cute that Angle vs Benoit at Wrestlemania X7 is just referred to as "Angle in singles action"

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #151  (isolation #25)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:44 am

Ah yes, the famous triple threat main event featuring Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Bob Holly.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #154  (isolation #26)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm

I really like OSW Reviews, and I'm pretty sure they're Irish, not British. But that's the main reason why I didn't want to just start at the beginning- because I've been watching OSW Reviews, I already know a lot about what happens on those shows anyway. I really like the New Generation Project Podcast, and I was thinking about going back to those days and rewatching from there and following with the podcast again, but I don't know that I want to restart that podcast, either.

Right now, my plan is to watch the CWC (I'm about halfway through right now), and I've been watching some of the old NXT stuff, going through their PPVs but skipping the weekly shows; don't know how much I'll miss that. But I'm also looking up historical PPVs that have really high ratings, and just hoping to see some good stuff that way. So far, I've watched WrestleMania X7, and I plan on watching Summerslam '02 and Money in the Bank 2011 next. There's a bunch of WCW and ECW stuff on here as well, but I never followed those companies as a kid because neither was on network television, so I don't really know anything about their shows other than stuff I've had suggested to look up on Youtube.

That said, I wouldn't mind starting from the beginning and watching the PPVs in order, though I'll probably follow a blog that covers the old stuff (Scott Keith sounds reasonable) and skip the stuff that's low-rated (I have no real interest in watching Mabel win KotR, for example).

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #158  (isolation #27)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:07 pm

I'd basically never watched Raw before; I've never really had cable. I had a friend, back in the day, who did have cable and was really into wrestling, and I'd go over to his house to watch Raw, but that was right around the time Goldust first debuted, and when he moved away, I was basically out of it until Smackdown rolled around, and I occasionally got to watch tapes of PPVs; other than that, I tried to keep up via the internet and Youtube. So there's a whole chunk of wrestling history where I only know bits and pieces of from picking out the highly reviewed stuff and ignoring everything else.

I bring this up because I tried watching Raw from the beginning a few days ago, and I had to give up, because it seemed to follow a formula of "one match you might actually want to see, then a bunch of five-minute squashes". At least the tight hour run-time means that there were very few "a guy talks about whatever for 20 minutes" segments, but still. Also, Rob Bartlett is ear cancer.

P.edit: I get that the New Gen era was bad, basically because of the steroid scandal that meant all of the top guys had to be let go, and times before that had been so good that they hadn't really bothered to build any of the midcard guys that were now all that were left. I'd heard that Bret Hart got pushed largely because he clearly wasn't doping, while Anvil was originally supposed to get the push from the Hart Foundation. Yokozuna was similar- a big guy who could be pushed as a monster heel, but couldn't be accused of doping. And then the mad scramble to try and get pushes for other guys who'd been midcarders- Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon, Tatanka, and so on.

I'd heard that Diesel's big push was McMahon trying to recapture the magic of Hulkamania- basically, since Hulk left, Vince spent a lot of time trying to get another big babyface who could do the same thing, starting with Lex Luger. Diesel was the point where he realized that audience expectation had changed, and there was never going to be another Hulkamania, so he moved on to Shawn Michaels as the standard bearer. Sad, really, since Diesel was actually really good as a heel, and could have had a nice run if he'd been allowed, but instead they completely gutted his character by making him face. Nash only has like 6 moves, and he can't really do any of them as a babyface, so the turn really cut his legs off. Sid apparently left, because Vince originally wanted him instead of Lex to be the new Hulk, and Sid realized that it would kill his career to try it (and Lex is a good example of that), so he went to WCW.

I've read a few books on it, like Titan Sinking by James Dixon, which was really good. So I've tried to keep up with wrestling even when I wasn't in a position to actually watch it.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #159  (isolation #28)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm

That said, it was really fun to watch Yokuzuna just straight murder jobbers with the banzai drop. I've seen his WrestleMania 9 and 10 matches with Bret, and he seems to do a fairly light version there, but he's a lot more vicious about squashing jobbers on Raw. I think the OSW guys mentioned at one point that jobbers got paid a bonus if they were willing to take the Banzai Drop or the Steiner Screwdriver, and I think it's probably well deserved.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #161  (isolation #29)  » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:11 pm

I remember watching that on OSW reviews whenever the Rockers pop up. Jannetty is clearly better, but he seems to have plateaued (presumably because of drugs and alcohol), whereas Shawn starts off worse but consistently gets better with each show, despite being an alcoholic cocaine-abuser himself. By the time they break up, Shawn has basically caught up to him and would soon surpass him. Plus, I think it was the fact that Shawn turned heel that he was the one who broke out- Shawn got a heel turn and new gear and a new character that got a ton of heat; meanwhile, Jannetty just played the same generic babyface he was in the Rockers, but this time as a singles act, and it just didn't interest the crowds.

That said, Jannetty was still pretty good until he broke his ankle and disappeared down a bottle- the 2/3 falls match against Doink on one of the early Raws was really good, which is impressive for a Raw match where one of the competitors is a clown. Breaking Charles Austin's neck didn't do him any favors, either.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #167  (isolation #30)  » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 pm

Ok, so what the fuck was that? Goldberg squashes Brock in two minutes?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #170  (isolation #31)  » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:40 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with the booking, if Goldberg was going to stick around to at least Wrestlemania and if WWE didn't spend the last three years having Brock destroy everyone and end the Streak.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #173  (isolation #32)  » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:55 am

After sleeping on it, I think that match could be a good thing, if done right. Goldberg gets some of his aura back, which could give some rub to somebody, and Brock gets brought down a little so he can have matches that wouldn't be believable if he was still the Mega Monster. I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out.

Still a little mad they hyped the shit out of a main event "dream match" that was over in 87 seconds, though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #175  (isolation #33)  » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:10 pm

I kinda assumed that the first match was a result of both men leaving the company after the show and not caring enough to try. I figured that, if both guys were motivated, they could put on a good match. Or at least a spectacle, given that Goldberg's age and ring rust.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #177  (isolation #34)  » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 pm

In post 176, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 173, Sudo_Nym wrote:Still a little mad they hyped the shit out of a main event "dream match" that was over in 87 seconds, though.

They might be building to a WM rubber match.

How can they have a rubber match? Goldberg is 2-0 up.

As far as I can see, this is either bringing Brock down so he can have more matchups that he couldn't before, or it's breaking down Brock so he can make a face turn. I hope it's the former, because bringing Brock down a little means you could theoretically have Brock fight Nakamura or Joe or Rollins or somebody and make it believable that Brock wouldn't just crush them. I don't see a Brock face-turn working, because then who does he fight?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #180  (isolation #35)  » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:10 pm

In post 179, Faraday wrote:#Diy /The Revival 2/3 falls at Takeover Toronto was fantastic

Probably the best match of Survivor Series weekend. I liked Joe vs. Nakamura, but I can only assume they did it so that Nakamura can win the title back in Japan. Asuka vs. Mickie James was pretty good, although I'm not sure who beats Asuka at this point; maybe Ember Moon? And on Survivor Series itself, both the women's and men's 5 person tags were pretty good, even if Shane almost killed himself twice.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #183  (isolation #36)  » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Shane was involved because they're trying to push him as the "Grizzled Veteran" leading them team. There's no particular reason why Team Smackdown should get along, save for having a leader who can make them cooperate, at least.

Shane not getting pinned was a result of injury, I think. You can see him hit his chin on Roman's skull during the catch-spear, and he goes blank. Speculation is that we was supposed to get pinned, but was legit knocked out for a minute, and sort of jerked up. The thought in the ring was that he might have been concussed, so they didn't want to try and force him flat against the mat and risk making it worse, so the ref just called it a stoppage and they pulled him out. That's also why they brawled on the outside for ages- apparently Randy was directing traffic at that point of the match, and told everyone to clear to the outside so the techs could get Shane out of the ring.

Shane was given way too much to do, though- if he'd just stayed in the corner for the entire match like he did right after the elbow drop instead of trying to do the catch-spear spot, I think that would have been fine, really. Rumor has it that spot where KO hit AJ with The List was supposed to be him hitting Shane, but Shane was so gassed that AJ stepped in to do the spot instead.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #186  (isolation #37)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:27 pm

So Roadblock was reasonably okay.

Also, I've been watching NXT week to week, since it's on the network, and I think No Way Jose has been on every episode I've watched so far.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #188  (isolation #38)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:07 pm

idgi

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #192  (isolation #39)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Well, the trite answer is that the rules of pro wrestling are made up to fit the angle in question, and are subject to change to fit it.

But "officially", you can't win a match with an illegal move. So you a tap out while you're on the ropes isn't a loss, just like a pinfall while you're on the ropes isn't a loss.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #194  (isolation #40)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 pm

I'd be game to try it, but I never have. Where would you even go for that sort of thing?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #196  (isolation #41)  » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:11 pm

I'm thinking about signing up for New Japan World just for Wrestle Kingdom 11.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #201  (isolation #42)  » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:11 am

It would be remiss of me if I didn't point out that every New Japan Tokyo dome show is currently available for free on the NJPW website as a WK11 promotion.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #210  (isolation #43)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Pete Dunne may be my new favorite wrestler

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #212  (isolation #44)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:13 pm

In post 211, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 210, Sudo_Nym wrote:Pete Dunne may be my new favorite wrestler

I'm Dunne with you.

Dunne't be like that.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #215  (isolation #45)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 pm

That said, I think putting him in the hall of fame means they won't let him wrestle, like with Ric Flair.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #217  (isolation #46)  » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:38 pm

I think Ric Flair is like Terry Funk- he'll wrestle until he dies if he has the option. He got the most perfect retirement ceremony that any wrestler could hope for at Wrestlemania 25, but he still came back to join Hulk's tour of Australia inside of six months, and then to TNA. He loves being in front of an audience, and he loves performing, and he'll do it forever if he can. The only reason he isn't is because he has that Legends contract with the WWE that he can't afford to give up which prevents him from taking outside bookings. And as you mention, it's probably best for his health that he's not allowed to wrestle, because he'd die in the ring sooner or later if he could.

And it's probably for the best that Kurt doesn't wrestle, either- that neck of his is as bad as it's ever been, and it's probably just one bad bump away from disaster. I can't imagine a company that told Daniel Bryan that he had to retire is going to turn around and give the okay to Angle in any event.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #225  (isolation #47)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm

So the female inductee for this year is Beth Phoenix. Chyna still not inducted.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #227  (isolation #48)  » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Are people going to forget how she died any time soon? There are lots of people already in the Hall who've died of drug related reasons, and it never seemed to bother them before.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #232  (isolation #49)  » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 am

Yeah, I thought the UK tourney day one was okay, but day two was excellent. As mentioned, I think Dunne is my new favorite after watching. There's supposed to be a new weekly network show for the UK talent as well, and there's talk about partnering with one of the British promotions to get more talent on the network shows.

And if you listen to the How2Wrestling podcast, Kefin and Jo are visible on the hard camera for day two.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #235  (isolation #50)  » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:54 pm

As a rule, the most effective gimmicks are just your own personality turned up until the knob falls off. So, what T-Bone said.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #242  (isolation #51)  » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I kinda get why they waited, though, because Chyna is a fairly dangerous person to give a live mic to, especially with Triple H and Stephanie in charge. Doesn't make it right, but at least there's a motivation.

But it seems really hypocritical to me- Chyna was a huge part of the attitude era, and was the major reason why Triple H got over in the first place. And she did have drug problems, and did porn, but there's plenty of men in the Hall who've done drugs, porn, rape, and murder, so it's not like Chyna would be any worse. Hell, they just put on a big tribute to Jimmy Snuka, and he's way worse than Chyna ever was.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #245  (isolation #52)  » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am

In post 244, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 242, Sudo_Nym wrote:I kinda get why they waited, though, because Chyna is a fairly dangerous person to give a live mic to, especially with Triple H and Stephanie in charge. Doesn't make it right, but at least there's a motivation.

But it seems really hypocritical to me- Chyna was a huge part of the attitude era, and was the major reason why Triple H got over in the first place. And she did have drug problems, and did porn, but there's plenty of men in the Hall who've done drugs, porn, rape, and murder, so it's not like Chyna would be any worse. Hell, they just put on a big tribute to Jimmy Snuka, and he's way worse than Chyna ever was.

Counterpoint to that is Sunny. She's not the most predictable person either and they still inducted her.

I think it had a lot to do with one or both of HHH and Steph being uncomfortable with her around. It's the only real explanation when you consider that Sunny got in of all people.

Sunny may be unpredictable, but she at least doesn't have a personal grudge against the Powers That Be, so you could trust that she won't put anyone on blast at the ceremony. Worst you'd get out of her is rambling, like Mr. T did. That said, she's also another mark of hypocrisy- they didn't have any trouble with porn or sex tapes when it was Sunny's porn and Sunny's sex tapes. Sunny sold strip shows on skype for a while, and the WWE still inducted her. She did massive amounts of cocaine, and they still inducted her. But suddenly, when it's Chyna, it's a big deal?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #247  (isolation #53)  » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if Roode takes the belt, and Joe and Shinsuke both are in the Rumble.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #248  (isolation #54)  » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:43 pm

I'd also say that the Fatal Fourway seems to be a method to get the belt off Asuka without having her job. Possibly moving her up to feud with Charlotte or Bliss?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #252  (isolation #55)  » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Ember Moon has to get the belt after the build they've given her. I just don't know that they're going to wait that long. I could see them choosing to move Asuka up now, give the belt to Kay or Royce, and then have Ember take it off them instead.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #255  (isolation #56)  » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Any chance Sami actually wins the rumble? He's got that "Ultimate Underdog" thing going on that could make him a good winner, but I'm not convinced they're ready to actually push him; he seems like he's the next in line for the Daniel Bryan style "We don't really want to push you, but the fans won't shut up" push. The problem is that I think they've been telegraphing Reigns taking the belt off KO, and I think that Zayn vs. KO is a better Wrestlemania match than Zayn vs. Reigns is. There's also the problem that Sami is a Syrian Muslim (albeit one with dual Canadian citizenship), which could make the travel schedule difficult if the travel bans hold up.

This Rumble is interesting, since it's one of the first modern Rumbles where the winner is a toss up. Sami, Lesnar, Goldberg, Taker, Braun, Jericho, Joe (if he's in), Balor (if he's returning), Bray, Dean, and possibly Miz would all be credible winners this year, and there's no obvious program yet for Mania.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #256  (isolation #57)  » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:52 pm

That said, I'd be super surprised if Tye doesn't come out as number 10 tonight.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #261  (isolation #58)  » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Five stars, easy. Would love to see them have the third match at Wrestlemania.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #262  (isolation #59)  » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:39 pm

So who's up for Orton vs Cena again?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #264  (isolation #60)  » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm

I thought the Rumble was fine, except for the end. Packed in all the big names right at the end, and the booking featured everybody laying down for long periods of time so that the big guys could fight among themselves. Also a disappointing lack of surprises; Tye was the only debut (at #10), and no returns. No Finn, no Joe, no Nakamura, nothing. So it's fine, but not actually good. A C+ Rumble.

That said, Cena-AJ was fantastic, Neville-Swann was great (though the crowd seemed dead for most of it), Owens-Reigns was great (and I don't get why people hate Reigns, he was really good in this match), and Charlotte-Bayley was very good (although it seems like a setup match for Wrestlemania, really).

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #268  (isolation #61)  » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:45 am

We had what looks like the start of an actual heel turn for Reigns, and some teasing for a Reigns/Taker match at Mania. Reigns might actually be redeemable with a heel turn, at this point. Especially if the crowd is going to boo him anyway.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #270  (isolation #62)  » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:21 am

Yeah, I think there's a pretty solid consensus. Rumble was really good, except for the Rumble itself. Cena winning the belt in that match was fine, especially given the excellent quality of the match, but we're all kinda hoping he drops it at Fastlane so we don't have to see yet another Cena/Orton match. Orton is a great wrestler, but he's kinda blah after years of laziness, and the only real upside to him winning is that Roman didn't win. Given that they could have used this as a boost for somebody like Sami who could really run with it, and it sucks that Roman did double duty in the match when there were guys like Samoa Joe who would have been awesome. There were rumors of Omega appearing; I'm not surprised that he didn't, but if Vince didn't back a dumptruck full of money into his driveway trying to make it happen, he's out of his mind.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #274  (isolation #63)  » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I think it's likely that Cena drops it at EC, though it isn't clear to who. WWE has been making noise about showing up NJPW by putting on a WrestleMania main event that rivals Okada/Omega, and Orton is one of the few guys they have who can compete on that level. The problem is, AJ is the best worker they have, and Orton/AJ would be one of the WWE's best chances at putting on a match of that caliber. Orton/Cena would probably be fine, though it obviously suffers from the fact that we've seen that match a million times already. They don't have a ton of other workers who can perform on that level- AJ, Orton, Nakamura, Joe, and Balor are probably the only ones who can. Cena can get to 5 stars with a good opponent, as his matches with AJ have demonstrated, but I don't think he can put on an Okada/Omega level performance even at his best. Wyatt's good, and he's got a lot of heat and momentum behind him, but he can't get on that level, either. Nakamura and Joe are both fantastic performers, but neither was at RR, and I doubt they're going to let them into the main event of WrestleMania with less than three months build behind them. Balor's a great performer, and he's got a lot of heat for his return from injury, but he's not scheduled to return until March, which makes his WrestleMania time table really short, as well. So their under a lot of restriction at the moment if they're serious about trying to match Okada/Omega.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #278  (isolation #64)  » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:13 pm

Seriously, probably the best match WWE could put on, assuming that Omega can be induced to come to WWE. It'll probably take a gigantic check to convince him, though. Shinsuke is probably the best that already works for WWE and isn't on the Smackdown brand, but that would require him to take the belt off KO at Elimination Chamber, which seems unlikely.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #285  (isolation #65)  » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:37 am

Strowman and Corbin are both consistently entertaining, which is really impressive considering the standard archetype for big guys. You could probably add Big Cass to that category, as well.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #286  (isolation #66)  » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:41 am

Better booking idea for the Rumble. Instead of Enzo, we have a blank, where nobody comes out. After Orton wins, finishes celebrating and pointing at the Wrestlemania sign, we cut backstage. R-Truth suddenly jolts awake from his nap. "Damn, I didn't remember the Rumble!" he exclaims.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #291  (isolation #67)  » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 am

I believe you mean the YEH-TAY

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #293  (isolation #68)  » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:49 am

In post 292, kuribo wrote:
In post 291, Sudo_Nym wrote:I believe you mean the YEH-TAY

HERETIC

Purge the Xeno scum! For the Emperor!

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #295  (isolation #69)  » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:51 pm

So Seth Rollin's knee injury was confirmed as legitimate. Impressive debut for Joe, I guess.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #299  (isolation #70)  » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:40 am

Roman vs Braun for match of the year

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #301  (isolation #71)  » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:57 am

My problem with Goldberg is that he's been built in a way that doesn't really mesh with the rest of the roster. For all they tried to get Roman over, this illustrates their problem: After months and months of the Big Dog trying and failing to take the belt off KO, Some old man is going to walk in, squash KO, winning the belt and simultaneously making Reigns and Owens both look like chumps.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #308  (isolation #72)  » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure why I'm supposed to care about Brock vs Goldberg. Goldberg already beat Brock twice, including a 90 second squash and also chumped him out at Royal Rumble. So why do I care about seeing Brock trying to get revenge in another match? Especially since Brock is supposed to be the heel in this story, so it makes no sense that I should be invested in his quest for revenge.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #311  (isolation #73)  » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm

I don't mind Brock and Goldberg have their thing, so long as it doesn't leak into the rest of the roster. I actually thought the Survivor Series squash was really interesting. The problem is more that they're taking focus off the rest of the roster, many of whom need a boost, and now Goldberg is messing around with KO, which can't go well for KO or Roman, given the way their feud went. There's also the problem that Brock is chasing Goldberg, and not the other way around, which is problematic when Brock is already down 2-0 in their series and he's supposed to be the heel. If Brock had won at Survivor Series, and Goldberg was chasing him to get the tiebreaker match, I'd find that more interesting. Or if Brock had the two victories, and Goldberg is chasing him for redemption, that'd be more interesting. But instead we're being asked to care about Brock trying to redeem himself against a man who's gotten three clear victories already when he's the heel.

That said, maybe it's a necessary evil. Maybe Goldberg gets the third victory, and rides off into the sunset, and then Brock is free to have programs with more of the roster now that Goldberg has brought him down to earth. Brock's new contract supposedly allows unlimited dates, and Brock himself is apparently enjoying wrestling again, so maybe they want to give him more to do, but his aura as the end-game boss monster means you can't believably put him in a program with a Finn Balor without it looking ridiculous. Maybe Brock gets brought down a little bit, and then you can build a program around him fighting Seth or something and have it be believable that Seth could win.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #312  (isolation #74)  » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Also, what are the odds that the Randy Orton/Wyatt Family storyline turns out to have been a long con on Orton's part to tear the family apart so he could win the title after he failed in the initial feud?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #315  (isolation #75)  » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:47 pm

If pro wrestling had an award for the Best Member of the Nasty Boys, would you call it the Sagg Award?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #317  (isolation #76)  » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:13 pm

If pro wrestling had an award for the Best Manager of the Men on a Mission, would it be called the Oscar?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #321  (isolation #77)  » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:08 pm

I knew that was going to happen, and I'm still upset by it.

On the other hand, I think Roman vs Braun was good, fight me.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #323  (isolation #78)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 am

I agree that it was weird to have Braun lose here instead of saving it for Wrestlemania, but I guess they're still trying to get Roman over. Roman got an interesting response to the crowd; they booed him on his entrance, and they chanted "Thank you Braun" at one point, but also they cheered a lot of his big moves and cheered the victory, which would imply that Roman is where Cena was 10 years ago.

I would normally hesitate to say that Strowman is "wasted", since it's literally one loss, and he looked good in defeat, but knowing how the WWE operates, it could very well be the end of his heat. We'll see if they try to salvage it, or we're going to be seeing him dancing hip hop style like Tensai a year from now.

Also, I really liked the first 95% of Bayley/Charlotte, but I don't get how Sasha's attack on Charlotte wasn't a DQ. Especially since that would have let Charlotte keep her streak intact without taking the belt off Bayley. I assume that Sasha's going to be turning heel, and the storyline is that she's trying to keep the belt on Bayley because she thinks that Bayley will be an easier target come Wrestlemania, but we'll see.

Also also, who guessed that Neville/Gallagher would be the MotN? Really digging Gallagher after that match, when I'd just written him off as comedy fodder with an umbrella after the Rumble.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #325  (isolation #79)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:48 am

Like I said, I think Braun should be fine. Whether WWE is smart enough that he will be fine is questionable, but one loss shouldn't be the end.

I think Roman's reaction was interesting because it was different. Compare it to the reaction he got to the Rumble- at the Rumble he got consistently booed, especially when he came out at 30. At Fastlane, he got booed when he came out, but otherwise he was mostly cheered- I don't know if that means anything, or if this specific crowd was less smarky than average, but other than some neckbeards on his entrance, he didn't really get booed like he normally does.

I completely agree on the Sasha run-in. Should have been a DQ, Charlotte keeps her streak and gets to keep running down Bayley, Sasha turns heel, then you have Bayley and your choice of two heels for Wrestlemania. Not really sure what they're planning with this.

I don't mind Goldberg going over, I guess, especially if Jericho's going to do the distraction, I just wish it wasn't another 30 second squash. I know Goldberg can't do 15, but he should be able to do 5 if they're taking him to Wrestlemania. If he can't do 5, he shouldn't be back in the first place. But at least KO has a reasonable excuse for losing, and I think they were always planning to have KO/Jericho at Mania, which doesn't need the belt Though I'm not convinced that Goldberg/Brock needs the belt, either.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #327  (isolation #80)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:14 am

I just mean that it feels like they're trying to get Roman over, rather than treating Roman like he's already over, if that makes sense. Roman got perhaps the biggest reaction of the night, even compared to much better matches earlier on the card, and comparable to Goldberg's reaction. He's also number two in the amount of merchandise sold, behind only John Cena. Objectively, he is over, if you ignore the smarks who like to shit on anyone who gets pushed ahead of their darlings. Yet they treat him like he's still a midcarder working to impress the audience- for example, he beat Strowman because Strowman went for the splash and missed, allowing the spear for the victory, rather than beating Strowman on any real merit of his own (except being able to get beat up for so long and then hitting a spear). If it'd been Cena in there, I don't imagine that they'd let him be treated like a punching bag for so long before winning on a fluke.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #329  (isolation #81)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that they've given up on getting Reigns "cheered", and have just settled on getting him John Cena heat; Triple H, at least, should know well enough to expect that.

And I'm not trying to disagree about Braun- if he's competently booked, one loss to Roman shouldn't matter. My concern is that, in the absence of a credible opponent like Reigns, or a jobber like Ellsworth to toss around, that they won't book him competently. Given his character, he can't possibly be done with Roman after one loss, but Roman has other things to do. And Braun doesn't have a ready-made opponent outside of Reigns, meaning that Raw's hottest heel doesn't seem to have a program ready for Wrestlemania. I mean, maybe Rollins comes back, and they can do an angle where Triple H throws them together to get them on the card, but that seems a little abject for the biggest show of the year. Especially since Rollins should be working with Triple H or Samoa Joe, given his program. Maybe Sami Zayn, I guess? But they already kinda did that already, so there's not really anywhere to go with that.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #337  (isolation #82)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm

T-Bone is right about a lot of things, the chief of which is that WWE is doing some stuff fantastically: I would argue that WWE's current in-ring product is stronger than it's ever been. Even when the stories aren't necessarily great, everybody's putting on a good show in the ring. And sometimes the stories are also good, too- Smackdown Live, for example, has been really good all around. So even when I complain about things, it's against this background of "Well, it's still a good show, though."

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #341  (isolation #83)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:28 pm

If you'd like to compare, you can go back to 98 WCW, where every match on every show ended in the NWO running in.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #345  (isolation #84)  » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 pm

And his girlfriend, Alicia Foooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooxs

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #351  (isolation #85)  » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 pm

So Daniel Bryan has been cleared to wrestle by his doctors, but WWE doesn't want him to get back in the ring. Some discussion that he may go to NJPW when his contract expires so he can wrestle again.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #358  (isolation #86)  » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:47 pm

I think that's basically it. They don't want anything happening to a high-profile star. It's unlikely that he pulls a Benoit, but it's still potentially a lot of bad press if a Daniel Bryan or a Kurt Angle gets paralyzed or something working for the WWE. That said, I'm fairly sure that NJPW would allow him to wrestle if he made the jump, so I suppose it depends on how much Daniel Bryan values getting back in the ring versus getting a steady paycheck without bumping for the WWE. Especially since he's now married with a kid.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #360  (isolation #87)  » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 pm

I think the only way he ever wrestles again in WWE is if he decides he's so intent on wrestling that he threatens to go to NJPW. If they think he's serious, I think they soften their stance. But I do think it's likely that he goes to NJPW if they let him wrestle and WWE doesn't. I'm already excited about the possibility of seeing him wrestling Okada/Omega/Tanahashi/Naito. And scared that he might actually die if he does; some of those guys work really stiff.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #375  (isolation #88)  » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 am

Sometimes I take single checks from my perforated checkbook and staple them to my face.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #379  (isolation #89)  » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 am

You play that, too? I can never stand playing RW mods, though; it always feels like my game is being tainted by real world knowledge. I always play in the Cornellverse, just started a BCG game, though I'll probably start a new promotion after a month, if my last dozen games are any indication.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #381  (isolation #90)  » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 am

You should try finding that young Sterling Golden kid. He could be something down the line.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #384  (isolation #91)  » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 pm

But Gino's in there, right?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #387  (isolation #92)  » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:11 am

And how weird is it that the match I'm most look forward to is the NXT Triple Threat Tag match the day before Wrestlemania?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #392  (isolation #93)  » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 am

Well, my expectations are: Raw's entire women's division in yet another match featuring the same four women over again, Neville vs. Aries to be awesome but have no heat with the crowd, Ambrose vs. Corbin to be an interesting holding pattern, every non-jobber Raw tag team rehashing the same match they've had for a year, McMahon vs. Styles to waste Styles but involve Shane jumping off something that he shouldn't, Reigns vs. Taker in a match the crowd will hate if Roman wins but doesn't turn heel, Jericho vs. Owens to be awesome, Cena/Bella vs. Miz/Maryse to be a baffling Wrestlemania rematch where Cena proposes afterwards, the entire Smackdown women's division in a holding pattern match while they wait for Naomi or Asuka to show up, Andre Battle Royal to be a waste to time, Rollins vs. Triple H to be whatever because Rollins will probably still be hurt, Wyatt vs. Orton to be awesome but Orton winning seems inevitable, and Goldberg/Lesnar to be a giant waste of time meant to attract casual fans because nothing says "Watch WWE" like two 40+ year old men having a 2 minute match at the main event of Wrestlemania. And also the show will be 7 hours long.

You know, there was a lot of talk right after WrestleKingdom that the office was pushing for Wrestlemania to have a main event that could compete with Okada/Omega in quality, to demonstrate that the WWE has in-ring talent that can perform at that level (and maybe grab some of those people who would otherwise buy NJW subscriptions for the Network). But I don't see a single match on this card that's on that level, despite the fact that they have the ability to pull off a match of that caliber if they wanted to.

Meanwhile, on NXT, we've got the Tag Team triple threat with three awesome teams, Asuka vs. Moon in a match that's been built for months to turn Ember into a real competitor (and take the belt of Asuka so she can be called up), Roode vs. Nakamura in a match that will be good (but then what do they do with Nakamura after?), then probably Sanity and Team Midcard doing something, Aleistir Black, Kassius Ohno, and Almas doing stuff, and the show will not be 7 hours long.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #395  (isolation #94)  » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

In post 393, hasdgfas wrote:I'm excited for quite a few different matches, actually. They may not all deliver in the same way, but they're all intriguing to me in different ways. Jericho-Owens, Cena/Nikki-Miz/Maryse, Rollins-HHH, Ambrose-Corbin, Neville-Aries, Reigns-Undertaker, Wyatt-Orton, and I'm curious if there'll be any surprises in the Smackdown women's match.

NXT Takeover should be good, although I haven't been watching the weekly show, so I'm not quite as up to date with everything there.

I think there are good matches (Jericho/KO should be great, Neville/Aries should be great, Wyatt/Orton should be great), but I feel like that's three great matches in a show that going to be very long. Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse is a match that's got potential, but I feel like it's going to be more of a Total Divas payoff than anything, and it's not like Cena/Miz was all that great when it was the main event of WM27. Rollins/HHH is a match that could be really good, if it happens, but I'm not convinced that Rollins is going to be back in time to do all that much. Ambrose/Corbin could be a sleeper, though; I like both guys, but Corbin could do a 450 Phoenix Splash off the roof and everybody will still be talking more about his hairline. Reigns/Taker is match that should be good, but I'm not sure how you get out of it- if Reigns wins and stays face, he's just going to get shit on even more; if he loses, he looks awful, and his win over Braun becomes completely pointless. So the only way I see them getting out of that without pissing off people is to have Reigns win and then turn heel. Which I actually want to see, so here's hoping. The women's matches are stacked with talent, but shoving them all in one match feels awfully 2006 Cruiserweight (i.e. we don't have much depth, and we don't have a real plan, so we're just shoving you all out there in one big match to get you on the card). The Smackdown women's match could have a surprise in it, like Asuka, but I'm afraid it's going to be a surprise more like Dana Brooke.

And then you've got a lot of talent like AJ, who's being wasted to prop up Shane's stunt, as well as guys like Braun and Joe, who don't have a confirmed match at all despite being some of the company's hottest acts, and Nakamura practically champing at the bit for a slot on the big show who's going to be in NXT instead. And the main event is two old guys who'll probably go less than 5 minutes.

I'm also not sure what's going to happen with NXT. I like the product, but the roster has gotten awfully thin, which is why I assume Roderick Strong, Eric Young, and Kassius Ohno were brought in. Nakamura is too good to be left down there, but NXT becomes even thinner without him. So do you have him beat Roode, possibly derailing Roode and keeping Nakamura off TV, or do you bring up Nakamura so you can get some good PPVs out of him, but leave NXT without its top act when it desperately needs one?

I'm tempted to set up avatar betting on how long Lesnar/Goldberg lasts, now that I think about it.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #398  (isolation #95)  » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

I think Taker should have retired after the Brock loss, but nevermind that, I guess. Taker is going to have to retire sooner rather than later, and I guess right after getting his hips replaced is as good a time as any. I'd be sad to see it end in the schmoz, though, given that getting attacked by Braun is exactly how the KO match ended.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #402  (isolation #96)  » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Sooner or later, they're going to realize that trying to put Roman on the Rock path is going to require a heel turn to get to the top, right?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #411  (isolation #97)  » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:37 pm

That tag team match was especially great.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #415  (isolation #98)  » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 pm

The crowd was a bit smarky, and seemed to chant some stupid shit just to get themselves over, but I thought they were a pretty good crowd, especially during and after the tag team match. I like the new belt design, but I dislike that all the new belts look really similar. I'd like them better if there was more of a difference between them.

Also, Botchamania's going to have a lot of new clips of announcers fucking up after this show.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #417  (isolation #99)  » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:58 pm

"The NXT Champions Tag Team Champions The Authors of Pain!"

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #429  (isolation #100)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Noise cancelling headphones. Never take them off.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #434  (isolation #101)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:18 pm

I think the last year has proven that The Revival are actual magic in the tag division. On the plus side, that could be great for breathing life into the main roster tag division. On the minus side, I'd have said the same thing about American Alpha, The Vaudevillans, and The Ascension, and they all got booked into the ground. Wouldn't be surprised if we get call ups for #DIY, as well, since this story with AoP seems to be over now. The big question is: who is left in the division to challenge AoP if both DIY and Revival leave. Heavy Machinery? TM-61?

Agree that Percy Watson is terrible; I don't know why WWE insists that every commentary teams needs a third-wheel charisma vacuum to round it out.

I think Nakamura is more bored than anything in NXT; he just doesn't seem to care like he did in NJPW; he did good matches with Sami, Joe, and Roode, but other than that has been pretty obviously phoning it in. Wouldn't be surprised to see him move up so he can work with AJ or something.

Roode has been better in NXT than I've ever seen him before; his selling especially has gotten way better. But yeah, his main draw right now is all in the character and the entrance. Still, though, for NXT, he's exactly the guy you want holding the top of the card- a consistent guy that can work with anybody, but who isn't champing for a call-up to the main roster any time soon. His act works down on NXT in a way it wouldn't if he were on the main roster.

I think NXT is enjoyable for me in a way the main shows aren't, just because it's a much more old-school mentality; the shows are only an hour long, they showcase a different cast of people every week so nobody gets overexposed, and the big events aren't every month, so it feels like they're more important. Takeovers feel like they happen because it's time for a big show for all these matches to come to a head, while main roster Network Specials feel like they happen once a month regardless because people will cancel their subscriptions if they don't get their money's worth. NXT is in kind of a weak position right now after all the call-ups, but it feels like they're not too far away from reestablishing themselves.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #440  (isolation #102)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

Out of curiosity, what's the actual difference between the pre show and the main show, if they're both on the network anyway?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #443  (isolation #103)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Outside of the ARMBAR, it's been a really good show so far. Let's hippie they keep it up.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #447  (isolation #104)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Loved that the crowd started chanting Delete as soon as the New Day came out.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #448  (isolation #105)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:59 pm

And now the Brother Nero chants?!

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #451  (isolation #106)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I know we're on to the Cena/Miz match, but I'm having too much fun thinking about the possibilities of having the Hardyz back.

For starters, Matt should be louder, angrier, and should have access to a time machine. Whenever he's not on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Matt?"

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #455  (isolation #107)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:33 pm

The length of the ramp is giving the rarely heard second-verses of these theme songs time to see air.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #458  (isolation #108)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:44 pm

Did Seth become Thor?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #463  (isolation #109)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:24 pm

4 matches left on the card still. We could be up until midnight at this rate.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #466  (isolation #110)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:31 pm

If they're hurting for time, you can't tell by Orton's entrance.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #468  (isolation #111)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm getting worried. 15 minutes left in the "official" run time according to the Network schedule, and there's still Roman/Taker, SDL Women, and Goldberg/Brock left to go.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #470  (isolation #112)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 pm

It does kinda make Bray look daft that he could make all that weird shit happen but it didn't actually help him win. Like, the worm thing is cool if it helps Bray win, but it just makes Bray look like an idiot if he loses. I guess we just can't have nice things.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #472  (isolation #113)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Goldberg looked winded before he started walking down the ramp. So I have high hopes here.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #473  (isolation #114)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Brock's entire offense in that match was German Suplexes and an F5. He did literally no other moves that whole match.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #476  (isolation #115)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Two big dudes clanging the fuck out of each other is exactly what Brock/Goldberg should have been in the first place.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #480  (isolation #116)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:22 pm

I feel like if Taker was planning to retire, they would have made a bigger deal out of it. I can't see Taker losing if he's not retiring, but I can't see them putting this match on last if Reigns wasn't winning and Taker isn't retiring. So I have no idea what to expect.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #482  (isolation #117)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 pm

Also, this hype package is making Roman look like a total heel. If Vince were more self-aware, I'd think it was foreshadowing.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #483  (isolation #118)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Also, I wonder how much of Wrestlemania's run time was taken up by that 9 mile long ramp. We could probably have had this wrapped up an hour ago if they went with something shorter.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #484  (isolation #119)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 pm

God, I hope this is Taker's last match, though. He looks like he's dying out there.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #494  (isolation #120)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:40 pm

The Hardyz have won the TNA, ROH, and WWE tag team titles within the last thirty days.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #496  (isolation #121)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:47 pm

I would agree; Bray/Orton was the only disappointment of the night- those two could have had a great match, but instead they get that weird ending where Bray gets weird new powers just in time to lose. Which I think puts Bray on the Reverse Undertaker Streak so far. Roman/Taker was the worst match of the night, but I guess I just had no expectations for that match, given the booking direction and Taker's age and recent hip surgery. That post-match ceremony, though.

If Roman still doesn't turn heel after that, though, I'm not sure what the point of that match was. They had to know what the reaction would be to Roman going over Taker in Taker's last match would be, and the pre-match promo, all the build, and Roman's antics in the match all pointed to him being the heel, so they absolutely had to know. Whether they'll actually follow up on that, or if they'll just have Roman come out Monday and be the exact same character he was before, I don't know. But they have to know.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #499  (isolation #122)  » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:00 am

In post 497, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 496, Sudo_Nym wrote:If Roman still doesn't turn heel after that, though, I'm not sure what the point of that match was. They had to know what the reaction would be to Roman going over Taker in Taker's last match would be, and the pre-match promo, all the build, and Roman's antics in the match all pointed to him being the heel, so they absolutely had to know. Whether they'll actually follow up on that, or if they'll just have Roman come out Monday and be the exact same character he was before, I don't know. But they have to know.

The story wasn't Roman at all. The story was "Taker just can't go anymore." Roman was an afterthought. He hit all the moves for the second half of the match, but all anyone cared about was Undertaker, who couldn't do anything except kick out.

No, I get that they wanted a match for Taker to go out on, and Taker is old school enough to want to put somebody over in his last match. But they chose Roman for a reason, and they played him up as a heel all the way through the build until the match ended. And even if the story was Taker's last match, Roman isn't going to be booked as an afterthought.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #500  (isolation #123)  » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:56 am

Also also, Brock/Goldberg lasted 4:45 from opening bell to closing bell. Undertaker's entrance lasted 5:24 from opening gong to his music stopping, despite the fact that they installed a shortcut so he wouldn't have to walk the whole ramp. So that's interesting.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #509  (isolation #124)  » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Ric Flair's actually a 20-time Champion, but apparently it doesn't count if you lose the title and win it back before the next TV show.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #520  (isolation #125)  » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:49 pm

All other tag teams have been made OBSOLETE!

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #526  (isolation #126)  » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:45 pm

If it makes you feel better, Steve Austin almost died eating a cheeseburger once. I don't know why that might make you feel better, but if it does, I'm not stopping you.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #528  (isolation #127)  » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 pm

Samoa Joe almost died after being attacked by Cargo Van Ninjas.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #531  (isolation #128)  » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:07 pm

Steve Blackman almost shattered JBL's knee at an airport after JBL grabbed Blackman's ass. According to on-lookers, the only reason he didn't was because he got his foot caught on a suitcase strap mid-kick.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #538  (isolation #129)  » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

In post 535, kuribo wrote:Meng/Haku was in a bar fight, reached into a man's mouth, and ripped his front teeth out with his bare hands

In another famous incident, some idiots were drunk and messing with him, so he bit off the dude's nose and spit it at him. A number of police officers were called and Meng fought them off.

Frenchy Martin once said "If you have the choice of fighting Meng or going to hell, I'd suggest you go to hell." And Perry Saturn once said "Tonga could kill every single one of us and there's nothing any of us could do to stop him."

I believe Jake Roberts once said "If I was in an M1 Abrams, was aiming it at Meng, the first thing I'd do is get my pistol and shoot myself in the head, because I'm not taking the risk of just winging Meng and getting that bastard pissed at me."

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #545  (isolation #130)  » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:26 pm

I think they're also trying to start off with the nostalgia run, where they act like the classic Hardyz to try and bring back old fans, and then get into the Broken stuff once they're established.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #548  (isolation #131)  » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:29 am

I always liked Matt, though mostly because of the V1 gimmick. I would also say that Matt is the better worker, and seems to have a better mind for the business, but Jeff has all the charisma and is willing to jump off tall things.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #551  (isolation #132)  » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:42 am

That dude was the SHIT

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #568  (isolation #133)  » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

In post 567, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 565, Majiffy wrote:Oh no please don't do the Broken Hardyz I like Team Xtreme :(

Limited shelf life for Team Xtreme, tbh. There's only so long a straight nostalgia act can go.

It's why the Dudleys didn't stick around in their most recent run.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #572  (isolation #134)  » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:58 pm

In post 570, kuribo wrote:Dudleys are better when Bubba is accusing people in the crowd of teaching their daughters to suck dick

https://youtu.be/7WzRI7xgVKM

I'm convinced that Bubba is a first-rate heat magnet. He seems to have that ability to just light a fire under a crowd. If they'd kept the Aces and Eights Bully Ray character instead of switching him back to the nostalgic Dudley Boys Bubba, I think he could have had a good main event run in WWE.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #581  (isolation #135)  » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 am

Dibs on Giant Gonzalez

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #583  (isolation #136)  » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:36 am

In post 582, Panzerjager wrote:Baron Corbin is great though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #596  (isolation #137)  » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:39 am

Beats ten years ago, when everybody was doing powerbomb variants as a finisher. At least a strike you can buy as "coming out of nowhere". And the V-Trigger is at least a cool move to steal that nobody else in WWE is doing, even if he doesn't do it as crisply as Omega.

Frankly, I think Seth is just too bland as a babyface character; at least as the oily chickenshit heel, he was interesting.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #598  (isolation #138)  » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

Like I said, I don't mind the strike finishers, but I think it's more an overall problem with the WWE style. First, it's a lot softer- compare Seth's version of the V-Trigger to the way Omega does it, and you'll notice that it's way less stiff and impactful. The second, like you said, is that finishers mean nothing, because they don't actually finish anybody. A lot of PPV main events struggle to get heat, and I have to think that part of the reason is that the crowd is trained not to take anything seriously as a possible finish until at least one finisher has been kicked out of. I mean, when was the last time AJ actually got a pin on anybody who isn't Elsworth with his first Styles Clash?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #600  (isolation #139)  » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

At this point, I think it's basically Corbin's finish, AJ's forearm, and Neville's Red Arrow that are the only protected finishers in the company. Everything else is meant to be kicked out of for a pop, but how am I supposed to take anybody's finisher seriously if I know in advance that it's going to take 2-3 of them to actually finish anybody? Hell, Reigns had to hit how many spears on the Undertaker to get the pin, despite the fact that Taker was clearly dead on his feet for most of their match?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #612  (isolation #140)  » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am

And it definitely isn't annoying to hear the crowd shout "10" whenever the referee counts any number.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #614  (isolation #141)  » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 am

Frankly, I'm not convinced Enzo is a real human being. New Jersey is clearly some sort of alternate dimension, where they wear leopard prints unironically and fuck buckets of kfc chicken.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #659  (isolation #142)  » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm

I've always wanted to do a gimmick where a wrestler is so high-class, that he not only has a managar, but he has a manager so powerful that he has his own manager, as well. So you'd have the second manager running interference so the first manager could get a chair into the ring, or whatever. I'm in if we do that one.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #664  (isolation #143)  » Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Also, how 'bout dat Bruiserweight?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #669  (isolation #144)  » Sun May 21, 2017 3:38 am

I thought Roddy vs. Eric was pretty good, but the crowd seemed dead. Dunne vs. Bate was probably the best WWE match of the year so far, except for AJ vs. Cena at Rumble. The triple threat was okay, but felt clunky. The championship match was good, but felt really predictable. The main event was also really good, and I'm getting super impressed by how much juice Akam and Rezar out of their matches when they still seem so green. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic show, and had more quality in <3 hours than Wrestlemania had in 7.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #688  (isolation #145)  » Mon May 22, 2017 4:03 pm

Don't hinder the Jinder, you guys.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #698  (isolation #146)  » Tue May 23, 2017 4:04 pm

The thing I find really interesting is that, back when Khali was on Raw, WWE would recut Raw for the Indian market so that Khali's segment was the main event, and his segments would be redubbed so that he was always the face, regardless of what was happening in the actual program. I wonder if they're going to do that for Jinder as well. Especially since Jinder is obviously using flunkies to cheat, and the Network means that his PPV appearances can't be edited because they're live anyway.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #723  (isolation #147)  » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm really enjoying his monster push. He's like Brock, except he's around every week. Though I wonder who the Raw monster will be when Braun comes back.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #727  (isolation #148)  » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 pm

In post 726, Panzerjager wrote:
In post 722, hiplop wrote:can we talk about how outstanding they are handling joe?

I don't get why they want him and brock.

They want Joe because they're desperate for viewers, and he's popular among the IWC. Also, he's around every week, and Brock won't be. But mostly the desperate for viewers thing.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #731  (isolation #149)  » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:37 pm

In post 728, Majiffy wrote:If they wanted viewers they should start working on some less predictable storylines/match outcomes and maybe have more than the same 10 wrestlers in literally every taping for each franchise.

I've only been watching again for about a month but I can guess with at least 75% accuracy what "surprise matches" get booked week to week and who wins what against who when.

Unfortunately, they're publicly held now, and stock holders want the same crew of merchandise sellers on screen as much as possible. They've also got a TV deal that brings in millions regardless of ratings, and the execs on the USA Network want the safe picks, too. So it's a game of trying to boost ratings, live ticket sales, and especially Network subscriptions without doing anything risky. And that means bringing in Joe with a big push to try and get the IWC onside, and it means putting the title on Jinder to try and get India watching.

NXT proves that they know how to book correctly, but the main product is subject to too many demands from people with differing goals. Last time WWE had ratings this low, Vince had full control over everything to make changes and a strong competitor to convince him to do so. This time he's got neither, and he's twenty years older and blind. God only knows where it goes from now.

In other news, I'm considering picking up a subscription to New Japan World. Might be difficult jumping in, though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #739  (isolation #150)  » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 am

I think they want to hold the title until Wrestlemania so Roman can beat him. Especially since Brock's contract expires the day after the next Wrestlemania.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #748  (isolation #151)  » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:54 am

I feel like it's a bit disingenuous to call a man who can tope suicida slow and out of shape. Granted, I don't think he's done it in the WWE, but Joe has always been fat, and it's never given him trouble before.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #757  (isolation #152)  » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Isn't it amazing what happens when the WWE realizes that everybody in America that can be convinced to subscribe to the Network already has, and your only chance is to appeal to the 1.6 billion living in India? You get new main eventers getting actual pushes! And Jinder is actually a lot sweeter than I thought he'd be when he was a midcard jobber.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #774  (isolation #153)  » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 pm

That's gotta be the first title change on a house show in twenty years.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #777  (isolation #154)  » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 pm

I mean title changes that don't get immediately undone. They switch the title on a house show, but then change it back before the next TV show, so that there's an appearance of continuity. Usually, they don't even reference that the title changed hands twice on the house shows. The NXT title changed hands on the Australia tour, to be sure, but that was just a gimmick to make the tour feel special, and they put it right back on Nakamura before returning to the US. This time, they not only announced the change, but did it right before a PPV, making it a "real" change. That's something they haven't done in a while.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #779  (isolation #155)  » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 pm

I suppose AJ having a title increases the chances that we'll eventually get AJ/Nakamura.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #780  (isolation #156)  » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Also, NXT is going to be doing a house show near me. I'm thinking of buying a ticket, but I don't have any wrestle-friends in my area to go with me :(

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #828  (isolation #157)  » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 am

Bullet Club is old hat; the cool kids are all wearing Los Ingobernables gear.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #830  (isolation #158)  » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Please, everybody knows that the top-tier neckbearded smarks are still wearing their Austin 3:16 shirts.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #840  (isolation #159)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:23 am

I think Cass is probably the one that's going to struggle more. Enzo's demonstrated he can always get heat through his promos, even if he's not great in the ring. Without Enzo, though, Cass is now basically a generic big guy, and worse, he's a generic big guy who's behind Braun and Corbin on the depth chart.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #843  (isolation #160)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:13 am

In post 841, T-Bone wrote:Enzo is going to struggle more, because they are booking him like a guy who can't fight. He can't even get a single clean shot in on Big Cass. Not one in two months!

I've no doubt that Enzo is going to be a glorified jobber; he's not very good in the ring, and he's basically an Ellsworth that can talk. But talking is important; it's a skill that can get him heat even when he never wins. Compare that to Big Cass, who's only real talent is that he's big and somewhat more athletic than you'd expect from a dude his size. Without a mouthpiece, he's just a generic big man in a company that already has a lot of big dudes that are more talented than Big Cass is.

Majiffy wrote:I really don't understand Corbin, he seems so terrible at everything he does. He can't sell shit and he's not very impressive.

I thought he was a great character thanks to some of his interviews on Talking Smack, but other than that, he really doesn't seem to have much to recommend him. Scuttlebutt has it that WWE considers him to be a better long-term prospect than Strowman, though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #845  (isolation #161)  » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:21 pm

In post 844, kuribo wrote:Looks like Woken Matt Hardy is about to be a thing

i find this to be EXTRAORDINARY

The gimmick will be DELIGHTFUL

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #886  (isolation #162)  » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:08 pm

True story: Vince killed the pirate gimmick because he assumed it was like Blackbeard, and couldn't understand why anybody would cheer for a face pirate gimmick, even though Pirates of the Caribbean had just come out.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #890  (isolation #163)  » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 am

In post 888, Panzerjager wrote:Dude, the entrance I watched was very Jonny Depp and the music was Def pirates of the Caribbean inspired.

Yeah, but Vince is generally 15 years behind pop culture, so look out for a Japanese guy that Vince thinks is Korean doing the Gangnam Style dance in about ten years.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #896  (isolation #164)  » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:30 am

I doubt WWE will let Dean take a tablesaw to the face.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #920  (isolation #165)  » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:15 pm

I thought the AoP/Sanity match was the best match, though the heel/heel matchup was a little weird. Alexander Wolfe is so good when he's given a chance to shine. Gargano/Almas was also great. It was actually just a really good show all the way through, I thought.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #922  (isolation #166)  » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I enjoyed the main event, but I think it was probably the weakest match on the card. Though I guess you're in a reasonable place when the worst match on the show is still pretty good.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #936  (isolation #167)  » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Finally got the time to finish the show. That main event was insane. I really want to see Brock-Braun now.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #941  (isolation #168)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:26 pm

Also, Asuka has vacated the NXT Women's title, and will be coming to the main roster undefeated.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #948  (isolation #169)  » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:57 pm

In post 946, Panzerjager wrote:
In post 941, Sudo_Nym wrote:Also, Asuka has vacated the NXT Women's title, and will be coming to the main roster undefeated.

Thought she was injured.

She is, but rumor has it that she's coming back from the injury to work a program with Charlotte, rather than going back to NXT. So I suppose we'll find out if the rumor mill is any good.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #956  (isolation #170)  » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 am

If you go pro, let me make sarcastic comments about your costume first.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #960  (isolation #171)  » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 pm

If you really want to make an impression, your entrance music should be 4'33".

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #965  (isolation #172)  » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:52 pm

In post 961, Panzerjager wrote:Also, can i just say it's amazing how many indie guys have gone from the indies to wwe in the last like 3 years? Look at BOLA 2014-BOLA 2016 and see how many guys are in WWE. It's wild.

It's pretty great. I think Triple H has more of a focus on in-ring talent than on appearance compared to Vince, so we'll probably see more of that going forward, which I like. That said, I do wonder how much of it is motivated by a desire to bring in top talent, and how much of it is just fucking with their competitors (does WWE really have plans for Kyle O'Reilly, or did they pick him up so ROH wouldn't have him? We'll see where redragon goes, but I'm betting it's just giving them a thing to do, rather than a mechanic to push them).

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #969  (isolation #173)  » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:39 pm

That's true. I'm not sure why though; some of them are supposed to be good talkers. Maybe an issue with the WWE promo style? A lot of them probably never worked with scriptwriters before. Some of them didn't even speak English before.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #973  (isolation #174)  » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Triple H gave an interview back when NXT and the Performance Center were starting, and he was talking about teaching the kids to talk without a script was one of the skills they would go into. Not sure if that actually happened, or if it was just something that he said, though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #995  (isolation #175)  » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:08 pm

In post 993, hiplop wrote:
In post 991, Panzerjager wrote:I think Cena is good, but I didn't watch like 80% of cena'a career

Imagine the same thing he is now but more stale and constantly champion

Ive always liked him and even i could not stand from 2006-2012. Super obnoxious run. He got better just by not going away

He's also proof that the top guy will always be whoever Vince wants to be the top guy, no matter how badly the audience reacts. Cena got booed to shit for years, and he still stuck around, and now he's the hero because eventually the audience realized that he was always going to be The Guy, no matter what. The same thing is going to happen to Roman- the audience is going to do everything they can to boo him and reject him, and Vince is going to keep him on top anyway, and eventually people are going to realize that he's not going away, so they may as well get behind him.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #999  (isolation #176)  » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:12 pm

I really liked Edge, but he had the shittiest spear. It always annoyed me that he picked a finishing move that he can't do correctly. Like, not only did it look bad, it destroyed his neck because he was doing it wrong.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1001  (isolation #177)  » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Best in ring is HBK, but I agree with the rest.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1040  (isolation #178)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Tennis players don't generally risk paralysis from a botch.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1049  (isolation #179)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 am

I just finished watching the second round, and my observations:
1) Sane is one of the best performers I've ever seen, and both matches I've seen of hers were great despite having rookie opponents
2) Piper Niven vs. Serena Deeb and Rachel Evers vs. Abbey Laith were both two of the best women's matches WWE has put on.
3) I'm seriously hoping that WWE sets up a women's show like they did a cruiserweight show, because they've now got a ton of great talent that needs a showcase. Hopefully, it'll be better handled than 205 Live, though.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1051  (isolation #180)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:27 am

That's kinda what I mean. 205 Live has some of the best talent, and Neville being consistently incredible, among other talent. Yet it's consistently played to dead crowds, who were kept up past Smackdown, when they could be getting great reactions if they were recorded in front of audiences who deliberately came to see them- compare the reaction the cruiserweights got during the Tournament to what they're getting now, despite the fact that they should be better known quantities now. But it's clear that the higher-ups don't particularly take the 205 Live show as being particularly important, despite the fact they're killing it every week.

Which is what I'm afraid a Women's show would be, as well- you'd get a bunch of great talent killing themselves every week to put on great shows, which the WWE management will treat like a Network-exclusive afterthought by filming it after Raw instead of recording it in small venues for hot crowds. Basically, I want 205 Live and the potential women's show to be treated like NXT is treated, instead of just being tossed out there.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1054  (isolation #181)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:35 am

Fair enough about Tessa Blanchard.

Jazzy-Abbey was really great in the first round. I suppose I just have a fondness for pro wrestlers stiffing the hell out of each other, and both Niven and Evers were dishing out a lot of power moves. Personal taste, I guess. But Kairi really does seem to be on another level. Was she one of the ones sticking around long-term? Also really makes me wish Io was participating.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1056  (isolation #182)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:41 am

I also expecting more from Mercedes Martinez. She's been good, but she's the WSU champ and the Shimmer champ, so I expected her to just be tearing it up. Suppose we'll see. Also expecting Baszler to do well, especially if they're planning to bring in Rousey.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1068  (isolation #183)  » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:10 am

No Mercy was pretty alright, until the last three matches.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1079  (isolation #184)  » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm

My problem with Cena/Reigns is that they're booking Reigns as the guy who gets hit by a nuclear bomb and still wins. He got hit with 4 AAs and a Super AA and still kicked out. Meanwhile, Cena goes down super easy, despite having kicked out of F5s and Styles Clashes and everything else with no difficulty. I'm in the boat with Panzer on this one- I like Reigns, I think he's charismatic and talented, but he's booked to be as unappealing as possible. Plus, Cena did the whole comical selling bit in the beginning of the match, much like HBK did to Hogan- you can tell he really wasn't taking the match seriously. It's also super obvious where the story is going; they've had Roman main event three straight Wrestlemanias, and maybe the fourth one will be the time that he finally gets over as "The Guy" with the audience.

Or, more likely, he'll pin Brock, win the title, continue to get bad reactions, Vince will take the belt off him in a wacky stipulation match after two months, and they'll start to build to Roman Wrestlemania Main Event Number 5 (This Time He'll Definitely Get Over!).

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1083  (isolation #185)  » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Putting down Cena requires three F5s, two Pedigrees, four Styles Clashes, or one Spear.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1085  (isolation #186)  » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am

Although I kinda wish they would go back to having finishers actually finish people as a general rule, so maybe I just like to whine about everything.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1091  (isolation #187)  » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:04 pm

I also think they should bring back generic finishers; moves that aren't necessarily associated with any one particular wrestler, but can still get the pin- before the AE, at least, the Superplex would finish people, even if it wasn't the wrestler's actual finish. Having some moves just be established as supermoves no matter who does them could be a useful part of in-ring storytelling.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1095  (isolation #188)  » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

Because the Miz is good at generating heat and interest, and Roman is not.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1099  (isolation #189)  » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:04 pm

They're desperate to get people to like Roman again before Wrestlemania happens.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1101  (isolation #190)  » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:58 pm

They can still salvage Roman's face push. All they have to do is go back three years in a time machine and do everything different!

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1118  (isolation #191)  » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Write LETS GO ROMAN on the one side so you can get through, but bring a black sharpie so you can write #LAPSED on the other side when you actually get in.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1121  (isolation #192)  » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 pm

How about RIP OPEN MY BALLOON KNOT?

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1122  (isolation #193)  » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 pm

How about MR HITMAN, I'M FOOKED

That said, I do remember seeing a #LAPSED sign on a PPV, so you can probably just get away with it. I'm pretty sure Vince doesn't listen to that podcast.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1124  (isolation #194)  » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 am

So rumor has it that Neville has requested his release.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1126  (isolation #195)  » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:16 am

It's confirmed that he walked out on Raw; the Enzo-Kalisto match was apparently supposed to be at TLC and the Raw match was supposed to be an Enzo-Neville rematch, but Neville stormed out. He also no-showed 205 Live, and is supposedly telling people he quit, but WWE is saying that he didn't. So, watch out for Neville turning up in NJPW or something, I guess.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1131  (isolation #196)  » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 pm

Just back from my first ever live show, and it was fucking amazing. Also, I don't know what it sounds like on TV, but the crowd was fucking mental for Roman Reigns; that boy is over.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1136  (isolation #197)  » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am

I assume so; Roman did get booed when Kurt handed him the mic, but he got loud cheers the rest of the night. He got a massive pop for his entrance and his superman punches, and everybody shouted "HOOAH" with him. The only boos I saw was one section trying to counterchant the "Let's Go Roman". He would have had all of the biggest pops of the night if it wasn't for Kane.

But it was such a mindscrew; I watch on TV and the network, and the crowd always seems so dead, but the live crowd was loud as shit. I assume they just aren't miking the crowd? But they were making noise even for the dark match. The only time was the crowd was quiet was the Alicia/Sasha match (which was short and basically nothing, but they did pop huge for both womens' entrances) and Emma's entrance. They took a little to warm up for the Alexander/Gallagher match, too, but they got loud about halfway in.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1137  (isolation #198)  » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:50 am

The only real negative I had of the whole night was the guy next to me getting drunk by the third hour, and thinking it was hilarious to shout "DO A BEAR HUG" at Bayley.

Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1142  (isolation #199)  » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:10 pm

They played a recap video for the live audience at yesterday's show, if that helps.

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion