Movie Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2698  (isolation #0)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:23 pm

I thought Superman v Batman was pretty darn good.
Aside from some noteworthy cringe moments like when

Batman is about to kill Superman but the thing that stops him is hearing the name "Martha" and then suddenly they are friends throughout remainder of movie

Probably a pacing issue. Ben Affleck did pretty good as Batman I thought.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2949  (isolation #1)  » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Logan was a very good movie, but I wouldn't call it much of a super-hero movie.
It was more like about the character itself but nothing about the universe felt like it was taken much out of a comic book (i mean there are plenty of references if you like that, but the movie felt more grounded)
It went for like as realistic as you can with source material, kind of like Batman Dark Knight.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3016  (isolation #2)  » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:25 am

In post 3010, hiplop wrote:wonder woman is outstanding

In post 3011, zoraster wrote:yeah i liked it a lot. the last half hour was kind of weak in a very "Superhero Movie" kind of way, but it's forgiven.

It was alright but......the plot and villain in the movie were terrible.

The best parts of movie was the leads and their development/chemistry. Everything else was....forgettable.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3017  (isolation #3)  » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:59 am

Spoiler: Shitty Review of Wonder Woman (spoilers)
Okay so like this movie was okay. And I do mean okay, it wasn't terrible and I did overall like the movie but I think people like it too much and their reasons for liking it are focusing on either the bad super hero movies to compare it to or just focusing on the "groundbreaking" of a successful female lead superhero movie.

Both leads in this movie are great and amazing and I actually just enjoyed watching the two interact with each other and playing off one another, they both were extremely well acted and actually if i thought of one simple way to improve this movie. It would be just cut out some of the backstory stuff with villian, cut down on stuff with Diana mother and her aunt, and get these two on screen earlier and interacting more. This is what was good in the movie.

The story however falls flat. Plot-wise Diana is out to save the world by killing Aeres the god of war, to do that she kind of just follows around Trevor to find him. Trevor has his own mission to end the war by stopping poison bombs from going off. He kind of thinks she is just wacky/crazy for her whole "Aeres is the cause" thing, but decides to go along with it for whole movie because reasons. At several times I kind of questioned where the movie was going, in not in the literal where are they going more in the why are these characters doing things and its all just because the plot says so for the most part. There is a scene where they have to go get clothes for Diana and this is all so she "fits in and isn't distracting" but given her personality and demeanor it seems to only establish how different she is from everyone else. Little moments like that are great for building a character but there is so much in the movie that already establishes that contrast of wonder woman seeing the world differently than everyone else that stuff that further detracts the plot like that just show how pointless the plot is.

The side characters are boring and undeveloped. You have three side characters in this movie. None of them will be remembered by me in a few days, and while each tries to be quirky and unique, none of their motivations line up with actions and none of them change in the movie. They are all static characters. They are however, used well to make a contrast of Diana and everyone else, which is the best they are used for.

The villain sucks. No way you are getting around that. The twist of the villain at end was poorly executed and just bad. The worst part of movie was the scene after his "true appearance". I think if the movie ended with Wonder Woman realizing that not all of mans problems are caused by gods and that sometimes they make their own problems, would have made for a good ending. I don't think you needed a ending fight or huge climatic battle. Someone just felt it necessary to end a movie after huge battle, the journey was basically over for Diana the moment she learned she was wrong about her perception of world and make peace with it.

Movie was alright, could have had a better plot/side characters/and villain. What it did well in definitely saved it from being terrible, but it was far from amazing.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3030  (isolation #4)  » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am

Seeing Spider-Man today. I have zero hype so hoping that increases enjoyment.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3129  (isolation #5)  » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:17 am

In post 3127, zoraster wrote:I never, ever go to a theater that does first come first serve. Not every theater around here does assigned seating but many do. So much better. Screw getting a bad seat. Screw getting there early and getting blasted by awful ads. Ugh.

I have never been to a theatre with assigned seating.

And all these problems seem like they are immediately alleviated by not going to the movie on opening weekend. Like wait half a week, these problems aren't really an issue?
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3201  (isolation #6)  » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 pm

I’ve went to four movies this month with movie pass , it’s really cool. Normally only see maybe a movie a month so has me going to movies normally wouldn’t go to like went and saw American made two days ago.

Really nice
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3216  (isolation #7)  » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I heard this was first Thor movie to be largely improvised by Chris hemsworth, so that might be why tone feels odd
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3217  (isolation #8)  » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I’m going to the movie in hour
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3262  (isolation #9)  » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 am

In post 3259, Chevre wrote:yeah. i love my best friend to bits but when we're talking about movies she'll often be like "oh that's a ___ on IMDB" and i'm like THAT'S WHAT A CONGLOMERATE OF PEOPLE THINK IT IS NOT GOING TO BE EFFECTIVE FOR YOU

How isn’t it effective?
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3263  (isolation #10)  » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 am

In post 3257, zoraster wrote:The Lego Movie was very good. Had I not seen Rotten Tomatoes I would never have even considered it.

I use rotten tomatoes in reverse fashion. If a movie gets below a 30% on RT, I won’t see it. 30-40% I am kind of iffy on but yeah anything lower than 30% I am pretty sure RT can’t be that wrong.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3277  (isolation #11)  » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm

Justice league was bad.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3300  (isolation #12)  » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 pm

Wonder Woman wasn’t really good
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3302  (isolation #13)  » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:18 pm

How?
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3303  (isolation #14)  » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Not to have an argument over if a movie is good or bad because it’s subjective but this is second time you claimed WW is good without explaining why.

And I just find it odd with a previous thing you said that you liked movies that took chances and wonder women took zero chances.

There wasn’t anything new or creatively done in it. Yet it is “fantastic”
What standards are you using to say that’s amazing and Thor Ragnarok is terrible?

Is it tone? WW was very consistent on that.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3305  (isolation #15)  » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Okay saying it’s “fantastic” is still not answering what was good about it?
I understand you enjoyed it.

What made it good?
Cinematography?
Tone?
Pacing?
Characters?
Theme?
Etc.

If you think a movie is fantastic you can go into a little bit of why.
Like I liked the two leads in the movie I thought they made the movie watchable but if they were terrible or anything less than good the movie would have gone from “okay” to shit.

I get the idea if we switched the protoganist for this movie out from being a women to being a man, more people would agree it’s only an okay movie if not average movie.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3307  (isolation #16)  » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 am

That’s just not true dreal.
Having different tastes doesn’t make someone wrong at all.
If fast food tastes amazing to someone it does taste amazing to THEM
That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t think or explain why it is that way.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3314  (isolation #17)  » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am

Actually more I think about your point on it being the only superhero movie with the hero genuinely caring about others, the more I think you are absolutely right on that point. I can’t really think of many instances of super hero movies where they really go out of way to help others other than that obligatory scene thrown in movie where someone is in danger, but it felt more real in WW.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3458  (isolation #18)  » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm

In post 3435, zoraster wrote:Discussion Topic: Is Thor 1 the most average, baseline Marvel Movie made?

Thor 1 is how not to make a marvel movie
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3459  (isolation #19)  » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 pm

In post 3439, shaft.ed wrote:nm, I'm getting parts of Civil War crossed into the Winter Soldier plotline
Winter Soldier actually wasn't that bad. i just didn't understand why no other Avengers could be summoned as that would have made things a lot easier to deal with. That's really the problem with these sorts of movies. You have an impending threat to destroy SHIELD but only three of your heroes are available for the movie because reasons.

If that’s ur nitpick that’s odd how that makes it a terrible movie.

Reminds me of the joke about not liking transformers 1 because of the scene where Sam can’t find his glasses for a few minutes
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3767  (isolation #20)  » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 pm

In post 3766, hiplop wrote:Black panther is one of my more anticipated films. Really hopes that's great

Why you excited about it?
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3845  (isolation #21)  » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 pm

In post 3842, hiplop wrote:black panther was super great!!!!

Okay......

I just saw it and was like “Ehhhh it’s not shit, meh C-“
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3853  (isolation #22)  » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Okay time to rant
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3854  (isolation #23)  » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm

In post 3847, hiplop wrote:seriously tho spoiler ur thoughts

Spoiler: thoughts on movie
Okay my big things on movies are like: theme, compelling villian, decent supporting characters and good flow to movie.

Theme: okay so main theme is whether wakanda should stay isolationist or start opening its borders and participating on global scale and how to do that the major difference between the good guys and bad is one side wants to take a conquerer style approach and ensure their survival by subjectsting everyone to their rule and good guys want to help outsiders by peopling embassy’s and sharing their knowledge and letting people in. These ideas are not explored very well at all, they are kind of just there and used as background noise to rest of movie.

There’s other things that go on as far as themes like tradition vs technology/progression and the idea of loyalty to nation vs the ruler. Again those aren’t really explored they kind of just exist within it

Let’s move onto villian. Okay the villains backstory just doesn’t make sense? Okay I got that his father was a spy sent from wakanda, but why is he a gangster? How would being a gangster actually help him gain intel on the place or w.e and why set it up so that it’s like some sort of twist where we think he is a gangster and then find out he is Waianae royalty? It was really odd the whole beginning (this just threw me out of movie in the beginning maybe I need to rewatch this part)

The villain isn’t really revealed until like 2/3 of way through movie (not a big problem you can do this but like have his motivations kind of clear?), he kind of just upstages the previous lead to believe villain (which is an improvement in all honesty cause other guy had like nothing going for him even in motivation at least new guy has something even if it doesn’t make sense). So he comes to the place and gives them the guy they really want. Why?

No like why.
This is a guy who hasn’t been to wakanda ever. As far as we lead to believe he never met any other wakandans besides his father and “uncle James” though didn’t know he was wakanda. How would he know that the people would want this guy?

In fact why did he want to steal the vibranium and sell it? That doesn’t make sense either. He worked CIA so I guess he was trying to help them out but then why did CIA try to buy it later?

The villains don’t make fucking sense.

Okay ignoring whatever all that is about.
The primary motivator for this guy is two things: see Wakanda spreading it’s influence over world, and avenging his father.

The father thing makes sense. But after that why does he want to conquer everyone by spreading weapons and destruction? He says in his last fucking scene that ancestors knew that it was better to die than be subject and he wanted to do that to everyone.

Let’s move to supporting characters.
Supporting characters are okay? I don’t know they aren’t very good in most cases besides the sister imo because most lack a personality to begin with like his love interest I don’t even get why she is there most of time or why he is obsessed with her and becomes an idiot around her, she is kind of bland. The couple who brawl later are also very meh bad.

I don’t know what to say about the supporting case besides that they are at least not as bad as wonder woman’s supporting cast.

Flow is probably the worst offenders for this movie. A lot of the movie I was kind of just questioning “well where are we going?” And not in that “omg what can happen next!?” But really in a kind of “I don’t see the point of what the characters are doing and it feels like they are just giving blind explosion to explain their actions. In one point in like first third of movie we need a reason for black panther to you know go outside his kingdom so they are like “Ohhh you know that guy your father never could catch, he is selling this verbanium at this place, better go get him” and it felt so forced and just making checkpoints needed to make in order to progress movie without dealing with prior issues like the fact he is new King and maybe he has some other things to do? Movie is full of these just gliding through points to get to next without it feeling natural.

I should go into what was good but I don’t have energy at this point.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3855  (isolation #24)  » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:57 pm

I’ll take back what I said on villain after talking with hiplop I missed a lot of details about him.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3860  (isolation #25)  » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 pm

In post 3857, Chickadee wrote:
Spoiler: Firebringer this is what the movie is really about
Africa didn't need magic space metal to achieve greatness. It just needed to not have the vast bulk of its natural resources stolen, along with several thousands of its people.

What
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3872  (isolation #26)  » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 pm

In post 3864, SleepyKrew wrote:firebringer did you even watch the movie holy shit

Apparently I didn’t
I guess I’m also not woke either so there’s that
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #3875  (isolation #27)  » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 pm

In post 3873, Panzerjager wrote:But you're also probably racist so like...that might also be hindering your ability to actually pay attention to what you're watching.

Interesting theory
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4173  (isolation #28)  » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:48 pm

In post 4154, xRECKONERx wrote:supes boring af

In post 4152, zoraster wrote:
In post 4151, BROseidon wrote:TBH Cap Marvel is way more powerful than Superman

I hope not. Superman is the most boring hero precisely because he's too powerful and the answers to that are either contrived (krypton) or boring emotional, brooding stuff.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4289  (isolation #29)  » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:54 am

In post 4277, hiplop wrote:I thought it was cringe manifested into film. I was embarassed watching Solo. It has the worst prequel-itis of any movie.

My biggest problem is it actively makes han solo less interesting, and star wars in general. But if you separate this mentally, its still pretty awful. I don't know how much it would even hold up stand alone. Everything in the movie is random connection to OT han solo things and explaining them. j feel like I'd you didn't know who han solo is you would have no fucking idea what is happening or why it's explaining super mundane things

Not seeing how it was a cringe fest.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4357  (isolation #30)  » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:32 pm

In post 4353, Davsto wrote:So the trailer for the Detective Pikachu movie dropped and is it just me or does this look unironically good??? Idk maybe I've just gone insane but the trailer was very entertaining and I think I'm actually going to go and see it

I was cringing through the whole trailer
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4379  (isolation #31)  » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm

I was rewatching infinity wars the other day and a friend pointed out that his whole plan was kind of ridiculous as the idea of there being not enough and to just wipe everyone out would only be a temporary solution to the problem. We got into it with me saying well he could always do it again to continue to alleviate over population. Which again friend pointed out what kind of solution would that be when population would just go back to it again, a never ending cycle.

So it made me think. What if Thanos was right but his means of doing so were just backwards. In other words what if he should have favored a way of forcing people to not populate to a level he found acceptable without just the killing half the population and enough resources for everyone then? He could still kill half the population but then need to place in a rule of order to restrict population regrowth.

Probably wouldn't make a good movie to show Thanos just passing laws in place to force people stop having children, would be like One Child Policy the movie. But I think he was onto something there
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4380  (isolation #32)  » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Thanos step for population control would probably be best fit with not killing half the population at first but actually sterilizing more than half the population to have birth rates go down over time and then the resource problem would be solved. Thanos was on the right track here.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4382  (isolation #33)  » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm

But he is right that over population is a serious problem that threatens a whole species! If resources are depleted it would lead to massive upheal and fighting for remaining resources which would cause much more suffering than what Thanos even did. With controlling population as Thanos wanted, you have a stable population that is healthy and sustainable for the future.

Just like how hunters go out and cull the numbers of some animals in order for them to not starve themselves to death. This is already practiced in the real world. We have to force boundaries on populations with no natural predators or nature does it for them, and when nature does it for them it is much worse than the predators themselves.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4387  (isolation #34)  » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:33 pm

In post 4383, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 4380, Firebringer wrote:Thanos step for population control would probably be best fit with not killing half the population at first but actually sterilizing more than half the population to have birth rates go down over time and then the resource problem would be solved. Thanos was on the right track here.

Or he could double the resources.

(Yeah, the motivation of Thanos is really dumb.)

IIRC, in the comic book, he killed half the universe to impress Death (the personification). Which is actually a better reason.

You can't double existing resources in a finite system. You are thinking of something that allows resources to be used more efficiently or grants access to resources that were otherwise unobtainable. Which I am assuming that Thanos already considered. Even if we take the idea that he doubles the resources he would still need to continue to increase resources every time we reach the biosphere bottleneck of resources. This is assuming that life continues to grow exponentially without being acted on outside. Which is what Thanos saw before he enacted his plan.

Even if we consider that Thanos solution was temporary, the doubling resources would also be, so the only real solution would be to create a system in place that keeps birth/death rates in check so as to make it so resources can be used efficiently without issues on sustainability
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4389  (isolation #35)  » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:59 pm

yeah
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4390  (isolation #36)  » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:00 pm

space is infinite, matter within the system space is finite.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4756  (isolation #37)  » Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 am

In post 4755, Nero Cain wrote:oh, the other thing I forgot to mention.

they keep teasing that Dr. Strange gave Thanos the time stone for ~reasons~ and it's mildly annoying that they haven't done anything with it. Unless they are saving it for later wich we'll see.

they did.
Show

Firebringer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #4758  (isolation #38)  » Fri May 10, 2019 6:09 am

In post 4757, Nero Cain wrote:oh, what was it?

the ancient one would only give the amulet away because she realized that doctor strange gave it up with no fight. He knew that act would tell her she needed to give up the time stone to Hulk
Show

[ + ]

Return to General Discussion