Gravity - a philosophical meditation

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Would you have closed 'Mafia on a Plane' (no IP correlation with banned-7-years-prior name-alike)?

Would've closed and banned
33%
Would've banned, leaving it open for Facet to host; who was doing just fine
No votes
Wouldn't have banned the original poster, but would've closed the game thread
No votes
Wouldn't have interfered as a mod, would've perhaps /in-ed or co-hosted instead
33%
Would've closed and banned, but after a change of heart would've reopened the thread
No votes
Would've closed and banned, but after a change of heart would've reopened the thread and also would've provided assistance, among others, with mod-prerogative formatting features
33%

Total votes: 3

talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (isolation #0) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:35 am

Post by talah »

Oh I thought we were freestorming physics ideas on gravity.
I sometimes wonder if gravity is a mis-translation of universal expansion and if in fact near particles and atomic bonds expanding at a different rate than empty space explains what we perceive as gravity.

Or to look at it another more simplified way, the surface of the earth could be expanding faster than objects which are smaller than it
Or as an converse idea, particle bonds could be collapsing at a very rapidly accelerating rate

And to mix things up pretty horribly, what would be the effect of time as we perceive it being backward? That feeling of being pushed outward while still having your feet on the ground, precariously.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 am

Post by talah »

well it exists in the sense that we understand that whatever is happening at a moment would be frozen and eternal without time
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #2) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:20 am

Post by talah »

imo
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:30 am

Post by talah »

Also I have Inception on DVD and was about to just trounce your (very strong and convincing) "time doesn't exist" argument.

But then having a little think, would gravity be affected by time? When Justin Beiber drives that van off the bridge, if time was slowed, would gravity actually respect that slowing of time?
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 am

Post by talah »

TIME >>> -- vs. -- <<< GRAVITY

FIGHT
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (isolation #5) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Post by talah »

Yeah this might be like the time I emailed a physicist lecturer with my idea that a perpetual motion machine could be made via a newton's cradle style hanger with a series of ratchets and the vertically-attached weights winding about the top bar, with each dropping at freefall to capture energy, while the remaining weights used *some* of that energy to slowly ratchet themselves up until the next took its turn to drop at freefall.

Of course the fatal mistake there was... obvious in hindsight.
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #6) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Post by talah »

so the freefall dropping weight, although it gains a lot more energy via e(k)=1/2mv2 - also moves a lot further and therefore nothing is gained by dropping something fast vs winding it up slow.

i guess i learned about e(gp) in physics class but didn't understand exactly what it meant in practical terms - after that I guess I do.

:D

k-kinetic
gp-gravitational potential

Return to “General Discussion”