Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 09, 2018

Post Post #19375  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:38 pm

In post 19368, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19367, u r a person 2 wrote:gun rights

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulford_Act

CONSERVATIVE SAVIOR RONALD FUCKING REAGAN wrote:Governor Ronald Reagan, who was coincidentally present on the capitol lawn when the protesters arrived, later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a "ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will."


Okay, so I'm seeing an argument for gun control as racist

but where exactly is the argument that gun rights is racist?
103-11 0-2

AniX
UCalled
 
User avatar
Joined: September 14, 2003
Location: Top of the OkCupid Food Chain

Post Post #19376  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:39 pm

In post 19374, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 19371, theplague42 wrote:In post 19367, u r a person 2 wrote:
anti-porn lobby

"Family values" used to be racist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-miscegenation_laws


okay, you kicked the crap out of that straw man

because I was talking about porn, and you're citing interracial marriage

"family values" has obviously been used for bigoted purposes. Closest to home for me are anti-sodomy laws

but as far as I can tell, everyone masturbates


Image
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK! PLAYS BY SENSE OF SMELL! ONE TRUE ADMIN OF MAFIASCUM! LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR! RADICAL SEX-NEGATIVE ASEXUAL! KING SCAR APOLOGIST! FOE OF SKIRTS AND DRESSES! DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM!

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 09, 2018

Post Post #19377  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:39 pm

In post 19373, AniX wrote:And anti-porn isn't even a purely conservative position. There is at least as much opposition to it on the left.


This might be true today, but it is a perverted *snicker* understanding of the fight over porn that began with magazines, moved onto vhs, and ended with the birth of the internet.
103-11 0-2

theplague42
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19378  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

In post 19376, u r a person 2 wrote:Okay, so I'm seeing an argument for gun control as racist

but where exactly is the argument that gun rights is racist?

Because it's not about "gun rights" or "gun control." It's about how gun rights are the most important thing in the world until black people have the guns.
Part of the problem.

shaft.ed
dem.agogue
 
User avatar
Joined: August 15, 2007
Location: St. Louis
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19379  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:40 pm

In post 19357, YellowSnow wrote:and possibly the economy on the whole

possibly is doing a lot of work there

YellowSnow
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: December 04, 2018
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19380  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:42 pm

In post 19379, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19376, u r a person 2 wrote:Okay, so I'm seeing an argument for gun control as racist

but where exactly is the argument that gun rights is racist?

Because it's not about "gun rights" or "gun control." It's about how gun rights are the most important thing in the world until black people have the guns.


Don't you think the argument could be made that blacks are more violent with firearms than whites(especially with gang violence).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 83d9a78ff7

theplague42
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19381  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:42 pm

In post 19374, u r a person 2 wrote:okay, you kicked the crap out of that straw man

because I was talking about porn, and you're citing interracial marriage

"family values" has obviously been used for bigoted purposes. Closest to home for me are anti-sodomy laws

but as far as I can tell, everyone masturbates

The right cares about porn because of "family values." Those on the left that are anti-porn are against it because they view it as exploiting women/enforcing gender norms. The motivations are what matter.

I don't want to keep arguing cause I think we agree on the broader point.
Part of the problem.

T-Bone
A Cut Above
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2011
Location: Shrug City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19382  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:43 pm

In post 19372, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 19365, T-Bone wrote:https://news.gallup.com/poll/1714/taxes.aspx

Although this page on Gallup does not break down demographics.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... c-spending

Also I figure I would use Fox News to eliminate liberal bias, but generally all polling outlets find the same results.


the gallup poll finds that 62% of the population thinks the wealthy are paying too little in taxes

and from the fox one,

"At the same time, there is broad support for increasing taxes on the wealthiest families. Voters support tax increases on families making over $10 million annually by a 46-point margin (70 percent favor-24 percent oppose), and support a hike on those making over $1 million by 36 points (65-29 percent)."

so i think we can say that the population as a whole is pro raising taxes on the rich, but im not sure we can say that either 70% of republicans agree or that 90% of democrats agree.

unless I'm missing something?


Misread it a bit. There was a part where I read support instead of oppose. So that Republican number is ~55%
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

theplague42
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19383  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:43 pm

In post 19381, YellowSnow wrote:Don't you think the argument could be made that blacks are more violent with firearms than whites(especially with gang violence).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 83d9a78ff7

gun control doesn't stop the criminals though so why bother passing it
Part of the problem.

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 09, 2018

Post Post #19384  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:44 pm

In post 19379, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19376, u r a person 2 wrote:Okay, so I'm seeing an argument for gun control as racist

but where exactly is the argument that gun rights is racist?

Because it's not about "gun rights" or "gun control." It's about how gun rights are the most important thing in the world until black people have the guns.


So, in NYC the biggest complaint against the gun lobby is that they fight for the loopholes that facilitate the supply of guns into the city, undercutting NY state and municipal gun control efforts.

The concern is over guns that are going to majority-minority communities.

There is obviously a monetary incentive for gun manufacturers to protect these loopholes, but this entire sub-issue of gun rights stands in clear contradiction to your argument.
103-11 0-2

YellowSnow
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: December 04, 2018
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19385  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

In post 19384, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19381, YellowSnow wrote:Don't you think the argument could be made that blacks are more violent with firearms than whites(especially with gang violence).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 83d9a78ff7

gun control doesn't stop the criminals though so why bother passing it


I'm in favor of strict gun control(police/military only for all firearms).

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 09, 2018

Post Post #19386  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:46 pm

In post 19382, theplague42 wrote:I don't want to keep arguing cause I think we agree on the broader point.

my broader point is that the left (of which I am a member) undercuts itself when it calls EVERY conservative issue racist. They're not all racist, just like every post from scum isn't scummy.
103-11 0-2

u r a person 2
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: December 09, 2018

Post Post #19387  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:48 pm

In post 19386, YellowSnow wrote:
In post 19384, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19381, YellowSnow wrote:Don't you think the argument could be made that blacks are more violent with firearms than whites(especially with gang violence).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 83d9a78ff7

gun control doesn't stop the criminals though so why bother passing it


I'm in favor of strict gun control(police/military only for all firearms).


You're pretty liberal
103-11 0-2

YellowSnow
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: December 04, 2018
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19388  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 pm

In some areas, yes.

rb
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 13, 2016
Location: sp00ky
Pronoun: It

Post Post #19389  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:50 pm

hot take: racism isn't the only Big Bad™ and arguing over whether a conservative view is racist or not is pointless when it's demonstrably inhumane and ridiculous without even going into 'race' territory
beep beep im a jeep

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19390  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:52 pm

In post 19386, YellowSnow wrote:
In post 19384, theplague42 wrote:
In post 19381, YellowSnow wrote:Don't you think the argument could be made that blacks are more violent with firearms than whites(especially with gang violence).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 83d9a78ff7

gun control doesn't stop the criminals though so why bother passing it


I'm in favor of strict gun control(police/military only for all firearms).

I'm not. I'm in favor of gun ownership until a certain point (and under some restrictions obviously).
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19391  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 pm

though, maybe US is already past that certain point, so not sure if I should have a say.
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

theplague42
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19392  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:53 pm

In post 19387, u r a person 2 wrote:my broader point is that the left (of which I am a member) undercuts itself when it calls EVERY conservative issue racist. They're not all racist, just like every post from scum isn't scummy.

I argue that something is true if I think it's true, not because it's going to convince people to vote left.

In post 19386, YellowSnow wrote:I'm in favor of strict gun control(police/military only for all firearms).

That's not a standard conservative position in the US.
Part of the problem.

rb
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 13, 2016
Location: sp00ky
Pronoun: It

Post Post #19393  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 pm

In post 19387, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 19382, theplague42 wrote:I don't want to keep arguing cause I think we agree on the broader point.

my broader point is that the left (of which I am a member) undercuts itself when it calls EVERY conservative issue racist. They're not all racist, just like every post from scum isn't scummy.


oh hey you sound like an earlier (and more ignorant) version of me

well i think they're definitely racist given the cultural context that issues in the US take place under, but that bringing up that they're racist does indeed undercut the plain idiocy of them and creates blowback from ignorant 'centrists' who obsess more over whether or not the left is giving stupid things the correct label of stupid, rather than focusing on the fact that, "yes that is very stupid"
beep beep im a jeep

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19394  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 pm

In post 19390, rb wrote:hot take: racism isn't the only Big Bad™ and arguing over whether a conservative view is racist or not is pointless when it's demonstrably inhumane and ridiculous without even going into 'race' territory

Do you want to argue why no death penalty even for the most heinous crimes is inhumane and ridiculous?
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

rb
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 13, 2016
Location: sp00ky
Pronoun: It

Post Post #19395  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 pm

what's the best that "u r a person 2" isn't from the united states

any takers?
beep beep im a jeep

T-Bone
A Cut Above
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2011
Location: Shrug City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19396  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:54 pm

We already established that YS is a neoliberal, he just is loathe to describe himself as anything with the word 'liberal' in it.
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

rb
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 13, 2016
Location: sp00ky
Pronoun: It

Post Post #19397  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:55 pm

In post 19395, Creature wrote:
In post 19390, rb wrote:hot take: racism isn't the only Big Bad™ and arguing over whether a conservative view is racist or not is pointless when it's demonstrably inhumane and ridiculous without even going into 'race' territory

Do you want to argue why no death penalty even for the most heinous crimes is inhumane and ridiculous?


not with you because it'll probably end up more like me giving you basic facts and figures while you make apologies for the fact that google is blocked where you live and you couldn't also obtain these basic facts and figures
beep beep im a jeep

Creature
Of Habit
 
User avatar
Joined: January 26, 2016
Location: Lands of Fire
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19398  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:56 pm

In post 19396, rb wrote:what's the best that "u r a person 2" isn't from the united states

any takers?

Most of the countries share the same issues, but sometimes at different grades.
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

rb
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 13, 2016
Location: sp00ky
Pronoun: It

Post Post #19399  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:58 pm

In post 19399, Creature wrote:
In post 19396, rb wrote:what's the best that "u r a person 2" isn't from the united states

any takers?

Most of the countries share the same issues, but sometimes at different grades.


false equivalency

your understanding of racism where you live has almost nothing to do with racism in other countries
beep beep im a jeep

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion

cron