Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Equinox
Shot Count

Post Post #19475  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:33 pm

In post 19449, Kublai Khan wrote:However, there is a long dark undercurrent of racism in this country that conservatives do not acknowledge exists. Consider the erection and subsequent removal of Confederate statues and monuments throughout the country. Conservatives (up to and including Trump) will swear that it has nothing to do with race. Despite, y'know, being monuments to people who fought for slavery.

To add to this note, the position that Confederate monuments have "nothing to do with race" basically argues that the Confederacy is a key part of regional history that should not be forgotten or ignored. This argument would hold more water if the Confederate monuments were constructed during or shortly after the Civil War. However, this is not the case; most of the monuments in contention were constructed nearly 100 years later during the civil rights movement. Considering that the fight for civil rights involved asking for equal rights, suffrage, and the end to segregation, the timing of the erection of those monuments points to a more sinister and racial context behind them.
revise and resubmit

Maruchan
passportent

Post Post #19476  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:55 pm

In post 19357, YellowSnow wrote:so I think that even minorities could benefit in some areas under Trump when it comes to unemployment, wages etc.

Well let's see. Donald Trump tried to fire me by tweet, and has spent over a year continuing that effort.
Donald Trump wants to take away my ability to be seen at a hospital, because the doctor/nurse objects to my lifestyle.
Donald Trump wants to allow me to be fired by any employer for a quirk of my birth.
Donald Trump denied a congress-requested military pay raise to match inflation, and instead gave us 2 percent (this 1 is different from the rest because of the wages part of your comment).

SO yeah no, I don't think that this minority could benefit in some areas under trump.
Show

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19477  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:09 am

My favorite is when white people act like it's not so bad for minorities and then get shit on by minorities informing them of whats really going on.
Eddie Cane

YellowSnow
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #19478  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 am

My favorite is when people act like white people can't be minorities themselves and race is the only indicator of minorityism.

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19479  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:19 am

In post 19479, YellowSnow wrote:My favorite is when people act like white people can't be minorities themselves and race is the only indicator of minorityism.

I'm going to be dead honest with you

If you try to pull this bullshit with me I wont engage with you.

You know I'm talking about the US in a US related topic.
Eddie Cane

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19480  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 am

Also minority regarding sexuality is a thing

Trust me I know a lot about oppression and not one of those is because I was white in America.
Eddie Cane

YellowSnow
Goon

Post Post #19481  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:21 am

In post 19480, Ginngie wrote:
In post 19479, YellowSnow wrote:My favorite is when people act like white people can't be minorities themselves and race is the only indicator of minorityism.

Even in the US there are other indicators of minorityism. I'm a white male that makes you so sure I'm not a minority?

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19482  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 am

I don't give a fuck what the fuck you are but you are not about to start this both sides shit.

Straight white male christian and you're a golden child.

Anything else then in some way you're beaten down in this society.

When I say white people, it's literally about republicans because 99% of being a republican is also being white.

That's where we are now.
Eddie Cane

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19483  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:29 am

If you really want to argue this white people thing

go argue with T-Bone or Brosiden

They're a lot more level headed and calm than I can be and if I misread your message then fucking sorry I'm just set off rn.
Eddie Cane

rb
Survivor

Pronoun: It

Post Post #19484  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:44 am

In post 19482, YellowSnow wrote:
In post 19480, Ginngie wrote:

Even in the US there are other indicators of minorityism. I'm a white male that makes you so sure I'm not a minority?

feel free to provide the stats that demonstrate in which capacities you're a minority and i'd be happy to discuss them
beep beep im a jeep

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #19485  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am

Oof.

I think you're approaching this wrong. When people talk about being minorities, the sometimes unspoken point is that by being a minority, their lives have been negatively impacted by society's attitudes and imbalances. This is why people of color, LGBTQ+ communities, women, etc. are minorities even in situations where they may be literal majorities.

Anyone can do a self-introspection and discover some aspect of themselves that is not a majority condition or opinion (personally, I'm an atheist which puts me in the minority), but ultimately if it doesn't off-set the privileged benefits we get from being white males, then we're not really minorities.
Occasionally intellectually honest

T-Bone
A Cut Above

Post Post #19486  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:35 am

Halp, straight white males are a minority on mafiascum.
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

T-Bone
A Cut Above

Post Post #19487  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 am

As hilarious as that was...

Before we start shitting on YS here, it's possible to feel like a minority in an anecdotal sense.

But no YS, as a population, white people are not a minority and it is really hurtful and harmful to actual minority populations to describe them as such for any reason.

Creature
Of Habit

Post Post #19488  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 am

People oppress each other in various ways.
Every man has the right to be an idiot and you are abusing the privilege

Maruchan
passportent

Post Post #19489  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am

Hi.

I'm white.

That's not the minority I was alluding to.
Show

Slaxx
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19490  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:19 pm

In post 19487, T-Bone wrote:Halp, straight white males are a minority on mafiascum.

I feel so oppressed.

Welp, better go back to the real world where my gender, sexuality, and race all give me an edge in a lopsided system. I don’t know if that will make up for mafiascum not being more uniform, but dammit, it’s worth a try.

Slaxx
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19491  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm

I get you were joking T I’m just playing along.

Realized for those who don’t know me they might take that comment seriously.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #19492  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:52 pm

In post 19484, Ginngie wrote:If you really want to argue this white people thing

go argue with T-Bone or Brosiden

They're a lot more level headed and calm than I can be and if I misread your message then fucking sorry I'm just set off rn.

Lmao I just hide my frustration with sarcasm and condescension

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #19493  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Lmao nobody does this and you can stop being intentionally obtuse to avoid addressing the topic being discussed

Ginngie
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19494  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

I think he's like younger me where you understand that things are fucked up, but like, you've yet to realize how these little nuances don't actually mean anything and are just used to hurt the real cause
Eddie Cane

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #19495  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I guess I didn't understand the difference between being accurate vs annoying pedantic until like college or maybe after.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #19496  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Like yes not literally all white people but that's obviously not what we're saying

T-Bone
A Cut Above

Post Post #19497  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm

He can't be that young if he's personally benefiting from Trump's giveaway to the wealthy.

YellowSnow
Goon

Post Post #19498  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 pm

I didn't say I was personally benefiting from trump, I said my income is higher now than it has been any other point in my lifetime.

rb
Survivor

Pronoun: It

Post Post #19499  (ISO)  » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 pm

inflation is also higher than at any point in your lifetime
beep beep im a jeep

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion