"Don't look too town as scum"

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:56 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 146, Ankamius wrote:
In post 143, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 134, Ankamius wrote:Obligatory addendum that I'm referring to okay reads vs good reads vs great reads

Obviously if your read strength is just bad in all your games then you need to work on it, but you can have strong town games with okay reads; as long as you're able to pick out which scumread to push, the accuracy of the rest of your reads at that point matter a lot less.
I have much better reads than average but I don’t do well at explaining them, so town all too frequently underestimates me, to its detriment. I’m terrible at casing people, especially.
Start small and work your way up

Start with people who are scumreading your top scumread but not very much, they'll be easier to convince. Then go to nulls. After that, it should be easy to shift enough people for a lynch.

You can also try to convince the nonentities first or those that aren't super engaged, at least then people will
have
to pay attention to your read.

You can also cockblock the wagons on your townreads and convince enough people that they are town that they have to restructure their reads, which is an opportunity to get another wagon going.

There's a lot of ways to do it, you just need to find one that will work for that specific game.
What’s the absolute most frustrating thing to me, is that while most of my reads are based on logic. the conviction comes from a strong gut read and people don’t listen to that, eventhough my gutreads have an extremely high accuracy rate. I basically just absorb all the information in like a sponge, make the logical connections in my head and get a confident read but when I try to explain it, I more often than not, get shut down and it’s so extremely frustrating. :(
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:00 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 149, Ankamius wrote:
In post 148, Creature wrote:
In post 142, Ankamius wrote:There's a lot of ways to get your way outside of convincing people that your scumreads are scum
Faking guilties on them.
If you want people to stop trusting you in the future sure
+1

Yeah, if there’s one thing, I’d like to 98% stamp out of games, it’s that. I don’t understand how anyone doesn’t get this. Your credibility is everything and if you sacrifice it, you could have a valid guilty and not be believed and it hurts the gamestate in general. But there’s not a single person anywhere, who can ever rightly accuse me of doing that.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:09 am

Post by Ankamius »

In post 150, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:What’s the absolute most frustrating thing to me, is that while most of my reads are based on logic. the conviction comes from a strong gut read and people don’t listen to that, eventhough my gutreads have an extremely high accuracy rate. I basically just absorb all the information in like a sponge, make the logical connections in my head and get a confident read but when I try to explain it, I more often than not, get shut down and it’s so extremely frustrating.
If we roll town in our hydra game whenever that happens, I'll help teach you how to go about it at least

I was the exact same a few years ago and it really just needs a mindset shift to fix
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:13 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 152, Ankamius wrote:
In post 150, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:What’s the absolute most frustrating thing to me, is that while most of my reads are based on logic. the conviction comes from a strong gut read and people don’t listen to that, eventhough my gutreads have an extremely high accuracy rate. I basically just absorb all the information in like a sponge, make the logical connections in my head and get a confident read but when I try to explain it, I more often than not, get shut down and it’s so extremely frustrating.
If we roll town in our hydra game whenever that happens, I'll help teach you how to go about it at least

I was the exact same a few years ago and it really just needs a mindset shift to fix
Yeah thanks, that would be awesome. <3

That’s what was so great about hydraing with RC. We pretty much mindmelded on reads but he helped push them through and I was so envious of that.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 132, Persivul wrote:
In post 131, Creature wrote:I don't really think RC is sacrificing her towngame.
The last game I played with him, I noted he was doing scummy things, and people said
Yeah, but he does scummy things as town too
, and so gave it a pass.
Persivul

Your idea of reality
and reality

are two different things

You don't even know me why are you sitting around taking potshots at me what did I do to you
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:08 pm

In post 149, Ankamius wrote:
In post 148, Creature wrote:
In post 142, Ankamius wrote:There's a lot of ways to get your way outside of convincing people that your scumreads are scum
Faking guilties on them.
If you want people to stop trusting you in the future sure
Hmm. . .
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 pm

I really wish I knew what exactly it was about me that makes certain people so viscerally loathe me and feel the need to pull me down
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm

Post by Ankamius »

I don't actually hate you RC, and none of the things I posted here were specifically aimed at you

I wasn't impressed with some of the things you did in the past, but that's really about it.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Not referring to you. Persivul
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Also my winrate was never 30% as town unless a very biased sample was chosen. Also having an 100% winrate as scum does cost you town games... but am I supposed to gamethrow as scum to win more toen games?
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm

Grr

I should just foe him tbh

I'm gonna do that
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm

There's so many valid criticisms to be made of me
Why is everyone insistent on making bullshit ones
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:02 am

Post by Xtoxm »

I think you're a cool dude.
Don't take my disagreement with you on setup balance personally.
Us plebs like to win as scum sometimes too.
It isn't easy for everyone.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:24 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 132, Persivul wrote:
In post 131, Creature wrote:I don't really think RC is sacrificing her towngame.
The last game I played with him, I noted he was doing scummy things, and people said
Yeah, but he does scummy things as town too
, and so gave it a pass.
I don’t know how they got that rep but for as long as I’ve known RC that has not been the case in my experience.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:14 am

Post by Creature »

In post 163, Alchemist21 wrote:I don’t know how they got that rep
The history of AtE

Though I think RC has been AtEing less lately.
Sigh
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 156, RadiantCowbells wrote:I really wish I knew what exactly it was about me that makes certain people so viscerally loathe me and feel the need to pull me down
LOL - seriously?
Persivul
Persivul
Survivor
Persivul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 am

Post by Persivul »

In post 159, RadiantCowbells wrote:Also my winrate was never 30% as town unless a very biased sample was chosen.
Look at your wiki page, 2015 games.
Also having an 100% winrate as scum does cost you town games... but am I supposed to gamethrow as scum to win more toen games?
No. You're supposed to play townier when you're town.
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Post by Mulch »

In post 2, mastina wrote:The only reason to not look too town as scum is because the headache it'll give you in all future games.
This isn't allowed on any sites I've been on, fwiw.

It's gamethrowing to go against your win condition for one game in order to help your meta/some future game.

--

On a separate note, I don't really think that this is a problem too many wolf players need to really think about. You can always invent reasons for why you are alive at LyLo, after all.
Amrock#3784
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 167, Mulch wrote:
In post 2, mastina wrote:The only reason to not look too town as scum is because the headache it'll give you in all future games.
This isn't allowed on any sites I've been on, fwiw. It's gamethrowing to go against your win condition for one game in order to help your meta/some future game.
Yeah--thus why I said it was the only real reason...and it's a shitty reason. :P

Wanting to avoid looking too town as scum because of the headache it'll give you in future games is a weakness in scumplay, because if you're good enough to look too town as scum once, then you should have the skills to look too town as scum again--just, in a different way.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

The only reason to avoid looking too town as scum is if you think it'll give you problems explaining why you haven't been nightkilled.

That might be a valid reason in some metas, but right now, people basically never attempt nightkill analysis, so there's no real reason to try to confound it.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”