The Newbie 2d3 stats thread (upd. 2019-05-28, 87g)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Mon May 07, 2018 4:35 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

Thing is we had the plan then my replacement made the plan not happen

We definitely should have had that win, it was mapped out from D1
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:51 am

In post 31, PenguinPower wrote:I'm actually pleased with ~60% town winrate. Hopefully with the IC role removal, we'll be able to vary the Newbie/SE rate more. My goal is newer player retention, and I think this helps.
I think 60% winrate is a bad way of looking at it

Rather look at it as a series of setups at least one of which had obscenely low scum winrates
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #35 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 am

In post 33, mhsmith0 wrote:
In post 28, Toomai wrote:Having the 6 newbies makes it that much more likely to get a scumteam of 2 newbies, and they appear to git rekt most of the time.
This part in particular is VERY worrying. Retention will be hurt if all of the all newbscum teams get clobbered, and I think it’s SUGGESTIVE that more experienced players are particularly effective in terms of gaming the system, to a greater degree than was the case in matrix6.
Some setups are imo basically unplayable as wolf without some degree of setup specific knowledge of how to approach the game
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #49 (isolation #3) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

In post 48, northsidegal wrote:i think the argument that people make (and that lycanfire is making specifically) is that the newbie setup doesn't necessarily need to be some "system" like matrix6 or 2d3, it can just be a small number of setups that are known to be balanced and are randomized from
yes pls
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #53 (isolation #4) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

In post 52, Toomai wrote:
In post 48, northsidegal wrote:i think the argument that people make (and that lycanfire is making specifically) is that the newbie setup doesn't necessarily need to be some "system" like matrix6 or 2d3, it can just be a small number of setups that are known to be balanced and are randomized from
Practically, how is that different than having one setup comprised of multiple subsetups?
because we have shitty setups incorporated with good ones in the current one in the name of making a cool grid thingy instead of just running good setups
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #54 (isolation #5) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm

i also think that understanding setup specific details in 2d3 is a major component of being successful as scum whereas it was less so in the previous newbie queue setup, for example
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #139 (isolation #6) » Fri May 31, 2019 2:42 pm

think it's better to start over rather than invent new game mechanics to try to make a broken setup work

Even with the change to roleblocker functionality nea cop is still a shit show and it imo makes for a bad game in roleblocker setups when 1) no one has any motivation to defend their partners under any condition and 2) newbies are meant to give a site introduction and that doesn't happen when we're inventing new mechanics to prop up a setup that was bad when it was new

Let's just take the setups that work and run from a list instead of trying to do some fancy matrix
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #145 (isolation #7) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:54 am

I don't think we should necessarily be pushing 50% town/scum winrates empirically in this context.

Only nea/cop and tracker/jailkeeper really to me are so bad that they really needs to fucking die now
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #146 (isolation #8) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:04 am

Cop tracker is as well by winrate but I don't think it's actually worse than jailkeeper tracker.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #148 (isolation #9) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 am

In post 142, Creature wrote:I was wondering what if we changed the Mafia Rolecop to Mafia 1-shot Strongman OR Ninja.
I think even experienced players use limited shot abilities terribly

I'd rather not thrust that burden on newbies
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #150 (isolation #10) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:27 am

I don't think newbies being slightly townsided is a problem ftr

The issue isn't even that the games are townsided it's that both newbies and experienced players are demoralized when they roll scum and it bleeds into the games and is creating a vicious cycle of town motivation vastly outstripping scum motivation which leads to town wins which furthers the cycle. It's kinda depressing to read games where scum members have thrown the towel in from the get go.

It's actually kind of a sitewide issue but I'm not sure how to address it. Maybe it's time for us to rein in on normal game townsidedness :?:
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #152 (isolation #11) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 am

It's amusing because at one point MSs biggest claim to fame in the wider Mafia community was us exporting stronger scum players (a la LLD, Frozen Angel, MS, Chelsea) but now I don't think there's a whole lot of strong scum players active but there's a ton of strong townies and I'm reading tons of games where scum just get roflstomped.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”