Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #137  (isolation #0)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 pm

In post 124, Albert B. Rampage wrote:I was never going to start a thread like this, but fck it, tired of hearing about Trump supporters in college being bullied, women supporters harrassed, signs thrashed, people getting their property vandalized. I'll speak up, sure. To hell with people trying to shut down free speech.


And we all have the free speech rights to call you a fucking moron, asshole, etc.

And if you feel like that somehow censors your right of free speech welcome to what minorities go through every day. But I guess when you're used to other people getting out of the way for you, being asked to get out of the way every once and a while feels like oppression.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #138  (isolation #1)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 pm

Like, to be clear, Trump's fiscal policy is fine. It's his foreign and social policies that are absolutely terrifying.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #140  (isolation #2)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

In post 139, InflatablePie wrote:actually you're both wrong, freedom of speech only applies to government, not to a 'private' website such as mafiascum

carry on


As far as a federally protected right is concerned, this is correct.

As far as a broader philosophical concept/value goes, this argument is pedantic and tangential.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #174  (isolation #3)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:36 pm

In post 151, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 142, BadGirls wrote:
In post 137, BROseidon wrote:
In post 124, Albert B. Rampage wrote:I was never going to start a thread like this, but fck it, tired of hearing about Trump supporters in college being bullied, women supporters harrassed, signs thrashed, people getting their property vandalized. I'll speak up, sure. To hell with people trying to shut down free speech.


And we all have the free speech rights to call you a fucking moron, asshole, etc.

And if you feel like that somehow censors your right of free speech welcome to what minorities go through every day. But I guess when you're used to other people getting out of the way for you, being asked to get out of the way every once and a while feels like oppression.


Some more of that white guilt, I see. mmhmmm. That shame you bear must be intolerable. I don't apologize for who I am.

the best part is when you assumed BRO was white, woo boy, i got a good laugh outta that one


I mean, Middle East and Caucasus *technically* count as White.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #175  (isolation #4)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:37 pm

In post 168, Psyche wrote:what do you dislike about the tpp


In BadGirl's vague defense, the TPP has a lot of terrible provisions.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #176  (isolation #5)  » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Largely around corporations power to sue for breaking laws in other countries as well as the stuff surrounding making the rest of the world have the US's shitty pharma-patent system.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #190  (isolation #6)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 am

In post 186, Fluminator wrote:Coming from a guy who really dislikes trump, I found the way drm was being treated in the first few pages really unnecessary. Come on guys.

Also, are there any middle of the road people in America? Everyone in America seems to be either Republican fundamentalists, or politically correct sjw Democrats. (Not saying either of these are bad)


I mean, they're supporting someone who thinks my family in Syria are all terrorists (even though they're Christian, but Muslim in this discourse doesn't actual mean Muslims and never has). I think it's fair to call people out for supporting a bigoted strongman whose foreign policy will make things so, so much worse.

Also, Clinton is the middle of the road. She's fiscally center, socially center by US standards. Also way to bring out the political correctness and sjw boogeymen

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #191  (isolation #7)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:49 am

Also Rand Paul would have destroyed the US economy if he had his way. He wanted to go back to the gold standard, which is actually the single worst policy position anyone has had this election cycle

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #204  (isolation #8)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Oh the Republicans hated fdr for the 91% top income tax

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #221  (isolation #9)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:00 pm

In post 212, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Like, Trump has a better understanding of the economy than Obama, Clinton, Cruz or anyone else running. His foreign policy is more shaky, but honestly can't be worst than Clinton.


Lol.

By all objective measures, trump is a shitty businessman. Also, success in business doesn't necessarily translate to an understanding of macroeconomics.

So your point is both wrong and not relevant!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #222  (isolation #10)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:00 pm

In post 213, Albert B. Rampage wrote:The thing is Aero, if he doesn't build a wall, he will still make policy to deny amnesty, crack down on illegals, and reduce it. 1/10 workers in cali are illegal aliens. He will secure the border, invest in equipment, personnel and tech to prevent drugs coming in, and it's gonna be great. That's more than Obama ever did or Clinton will ever do. Look at the documentary Cartel Land. People are trickling in daily and border patrol lacks the ressources to stop them.


You do know that illegal immigration has been decreasing, right?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #223  (isolation #11)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:01 pm

In post 215, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 214, Davsto wrote:Aren't most Americans descendants of non-Natives and, as such, are the descendants of immigrants?

Not an expert on American history, but I always kinda found the total opposition to them funny because I thought that was a thing.


Immigration is great when it's done selectively and slowly over a period of time. Problem is illegal immigration is rampant.


Oh you mean like the settling of this country by the British!

Wait...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #224  (isolation #12)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:02 pm

In post 218, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Trump also has immigrant grandparents and an immigrant wife. He's not anti-immigration.


~certain kinds of immigrants~ are okay. Duh!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #395  (isolation #13)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 pm

In post 383, Psyche wrote:donald trump is a bigger threat to the global economy than terrorism


But still less than Rand Paul!

Remember, the bar here is not wanting to go back to the gold standard!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #397  (isolation #14)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:16 pm

In post 391, Kublai Khan wrote:This thread, a summary
Rob: Here's an inconvenient fact to your Trump praise.
ABR: OMG! LIBERAL MEDIA! WARRGLLL!


This is called any interaction with a Trump supporter because willingness to support Trump requires you to either be outwardly bigoted or to hand wave a bunch of facts.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #400  (isolation #15)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:18 pm

In post 399, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 386, Rob13 wrote:
In post 378, Albert B. Rampage wrote:He evaded the question, he didn't say one thing or another about it. Your interpretation is wrong.


He literally said he would strongly consider appointing judges to the bench that would overturn the ruling on gay marriage. He brought it up unprompted that he would appoint "certain people" to the bench that would consider changing things. There was no question about that until he decided to say he would consider doing that.


This is whats called a "non-answer". Change things? What things? Its vague dismissal of the question. Your rights arent going anywhere under Trump presidency.


Yeah no they are.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #404  (isolation #16)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 pm

In post 402, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 400, BROseidon wrote:
In post 399, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 386, Rob13 wrote:
In post 378, Albert B. Rampage wrote:He evaded the question, he didn't say one thing or another about it. Your interpretation is wrong.


He literally said he would strongly consider appointing judges to the bench that would overturn the ruling on gay marriage. He brought it up unprompted that he would appoint "certain people" to the bench that would consider changing things. There was no question about that until he decided to say he would consider doing that.


This is whats called a "non-answer". Change things? What things? Its vague dismissal of the question. Your rights arent going anywhere under Trump presidency.


Yeah no they are.


Its called staying "on message". He aint going to overturn fuck all about gay rights.


I mean, he personally can't.

But anyone who he nominates to the Supreme Court sure as hell can! And probably would!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #448  (isolation #17)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 pm

In post 439, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 430, Rob13 wrote:Also what KK said.

Kuroi, are you familiar with the free rider problem? That's one of the main reasons why we need government. There are many instances where government can achieve better social outcomes than private individuals can because of the value society places in something.

I don't know it by name, but I believe people should have services if they pay for it. For example, why do I need to pay for a library if I never use it? Why can't a company lend books? I'm much more comfortable helping a family who wants to read books but can't afford to rather than the money being stolen from my account.

It's not charity if you're taking the money from someone else without their consent.


Do you want feudalism?

Because this is how you get feudalism.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #450  (isolation #18)  » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 pm

In post 445, Psyche wrote:Whether you're the one whose lemonade stand became a multi-million dollar success or you're the one who's born into poverty and dies of a curable disease in the same year is all luck. Me and my little brother were born two years apart, in the same circumstances, except I turned out to be real smart and he turned out to have cerebral palsy. If I turn out to be a millionaire and he doesn't, that won't be a matter of me working harder than him, that won't be a matter of me playing my cards right - even if I do all of those things. It'll be because I was dealt a great hand he was dealt a pair of twos. If just one cent of that million is taken from me - against my will! - and used to support him when he needs it most, I'm still not the person in this story who's been cheated. It's him. And frankly for me to complain that some of my money was taken from me to help other people in greater need wouldn't just be incredibly greedy and foolish - it'd be short-sighted. Economic success just isn't possible in failed states where citizens are allowed to live and die in poverty and without education for fear of 'punishing' someone else's lucky break, where no investment is in made in a country's infrastructure, where financial stumbles invariably spell economic ruin for whole households. Being a millionaire is pointless if you live in a world filled with people too hungry, dumb, sick, and unhappy to produce things you'd pay money for. A lot of work has gone into making the united states a place where lemonade stands can turn people into millionaires - is it really so hard to imagine that the millionaires whose success is contingent on their country might be thought to owe something to their country? You look at the issue of coercion from the perspective of someone who's made it big, but what about the perspective of someone who hasn't? What about the perspective of someone born in a position that destines them to one of the shittiest lives imaginable? What about wage slavery? What about the cycle of poverty?

I have a real question for you. Why care so much if someone with millions of dollars is allowed to keep all of it, but look the other way when someone with nothing is forced go hungry, or endure a curable disease, or live with no real chance for self-improvement? In a world dominated by scarcity, why ought a government prioritize the former over the latter?


How about the short version:

Everyone's lot in life comes down almost entirely to luck. The fact that you got lucky and made it big doesn't make your life worth any more - your moral worth isn't tied to your economic value.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #465  (isolation #19)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:31 am

In post 459, zoraster wrote:
In post 450, BROseidon wrote:
In post 445, Psyche wrote:Whether you're the one whose lemonade stand became a multi-million dollar success or you're the one who's born into poverty and dies of a curable disease in the same year is all luck. Me and my little brother were born two years apart, in the same circumstances, except I turned out to be real smart and he turned out to have cerebral palsy. If I turn out to be a millionaire and he doesn't, that won't be a matter of me working harder than him, that won't be a matter of me playing my cards right - even if I do all of those things. It'll be because I was dealt a great hand he was dealt a pair of twos. If just one cent of that million is taken from me - against my will! - and used to support him when he needs it most, I'm still not the person in this story who's been cheated. It's him. And frankly for me to complain that some of my money was taken from me to help other people in greater need wouldn't just be incredibly greedy and foolish - it'd be short-sighted. Economic success just isn't possible in failed states where citizens are allowed to live and die in poverty and without education for fear of 'punishing' someone else's lucky break, where no investment is in made in a country's infrastructure, where financial stumbles invariably spell economic ruin for whole households. Being a millionaire is pointless if you live in a world filled with people too hungry, dumb, sick, and unhappy to produce things you'd pay money for. A lot of work has gone into making the united states a place where lemonade stands can turn people into millionaires - is it really so hard to imagine that the millionaires whose success is contingent on their country might be thought to owe something to their country? You look at the issue of coercion from the perspective of someone who's made it big, but what about the perspective of someone who hasn't? What about the perspective of someone born in a position that destines them to one of the shittiest lives imaginable? What about wage slavery? What about the cycle of poverty?

I have a real question for you. Why care so much if someone with millions of dollars is allowed to keep all of it, but look the other way when someone with nothing is forced go hungry, or endure a curable disease, or live with no real chance for self-improvement? In a world dominated by scarcity, why ought a government prioritize the former over the latter?


How about the short version:

Everyone's lot in life comes down almost entirely to luck. The fact that you got lucky and made it big doesn't make your life worth any more - your moral worth isn't tied to your economic value.


Psyche's is so much more powerful, and likely far more effective.


I mean, I have stories too.

I'm just to lazy to type them out.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #466  (isolation #20)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

In post 464, T-Bone wrote:Without the Affordable Care Act (stop calling it Obamacare, you play into Republican hands when you do so), half of each of my paychecks would have to go towards health insurance, or I wouldn't be able to afford it (funny how THAT'S the ideal situation according to opponents of the ACA). So I mean if you aren't getting affordable healthcare under the ACA you are either stuck in the medicaid gap thanks to your lawmakers, or you are purposefully doing it wrong so you can support the anti-ACA rhetoric. Either way it's not the law's fault.


Also going to chime in with "I would not be currently insured were it not for the ACA," although that's somewhat artificial b/c I had my own insurance but when back on my mom's when I switched jobs.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #468  (isolation #21)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:34 am

True.

Also long walls of text are painful to read. Especially without paragraph breaks.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #475  (isolation #22)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Welcome to "why we should have single-payer"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #477  (isolation #23)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Quotes something about Gold Plans.

Proceeds to provide counter-examples of things that aren't explicitly Gold Plans.

Good. Fucking. Work.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #478  (isolation #24)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:01 pm

In post 470, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 469, drmyshottyizsik wrote:After subsidies it will be 9% of my monthly income per person.

nope

gold plans don't have 4000 personal deductibles, that's ludicrous

all the ACA did was make it so PEOPLE WHO CANNOT AFFORD IT CAN NOW AFFORD IT and INSURANCE COMPANIES CANNOT BLOCK YOU FOR PREEXISTING CONDITIONS


OH MY GOD READING AND CONTEXT ARE SO HARD GUISE AM I SMART NOW???

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #482  (isolation #25)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 pm

The ACA is still better than not having the ACA but having the system we had before.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #484  (isolation #26)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:33 pm

The issue is that at a certain point we need to stop building on the ACA and just make single payer.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #485  (isolation #27)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:34 pm

Like ACA doesn't fix the systemic issues, it just alleviates a few of the symptoms

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #518  (isolation #28)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm

In post 508, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 482, BROseidon wrote:The ACA is still better than not having the ACA but having the system we had before.


Better for the insurance companies... sure.


It's also theoretically sort-of worked.

But I agree that letting insurance companies be at the table is terrible.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #520  (isolation #29)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:45 pm

In post 511, Zachrulez wrote:Unions are actually at their weakest in terms of power since we established unions way back in the day. You literally don't know what you're talking about.


Have you been reading the thread?

It's called a worrying trend.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #521  (isolation #30)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:46 pm

In post 515, KuroiXHF wrote:If you want to take a look at profit making, look at our national debt clock. (http://www.fixthedebt.org/everything-about-the-debt)
We spent 224 billion in 2015 last year. Doing the math, that means every day we paid 613,698,630.14. In order words, we're paying in the neighborhood of a Billion dollars every day... that's INTEREST. We're paying more now than we are then.


Oh my god it's a budget hawk.

They actually exist.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #523  (isolation #31)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:47 pm

In post 516, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 514, Davsto wrote:This results in a higher crime rate targeted largely towards the poor and homeless due to low light conditions, many of them are dying.

Still unfair to expect anyone else to contribute towards the streetlights?

Do you think rich people want crime? Why would they not contribute toward it?


OH MY GOD YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON.

YES. THEY LITERALLY DO WANT CRIME. BUT ONLY FOR POOR PEOPLE.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #525  (isolation #32)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 pm

In post 519, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 514, Davsto wrote:
In post 512, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 507, Rob13 wrote:
In post 505, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 490, Rob13 wrote:If you think free-riding isn't a problem, then propose to me a solution to my streetlight example. What should everyone pay in order to fairly pay for the streetlight without having any one person free-loading?

Take out the street lights. Then if you want to see buy better headlights.


Headlights would cost $50. No-one except the person who valued light at $50 would buy one, and everyone would be much worse off except that person. This is clearly not optimal.

I garentee you that if you removed the street lights, everyone will start to value light at $50. Supply meet demand.

Imagine an area.

Lampposts not used by the rich because they don't go outside alone at night.

Used largely for safety of those out that late, the poor maybe walking home from long working hours and homeless, who can't afford to pay for these streetlights due to unfortunate circumstances in their life beyond their control.

This results in a higher crime rate targeted largely towards the poor and homeless due to low light conditions, many of them are dying.

Still unfair to expect anyone else to contribute towards the streetlights?

Well it will decrease the surplus population right?


~social darwinism~

Let's just cut the pretenses, say "fuck the poor," and institute The Purge. It gets us to that goal much, much more efficiently!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #527  (isolation #33)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 pm

It's gonna be funny watching your worldview fall apart once the only way to make money is to own the means of production because all work has been obsoleted. That will be really, really fun.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #531  (isolation #34)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm

In post 528, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 523, BROseidon wrote:
In post 516, KuroiXHF wrote:
In post 514, Davsto wrote:This results in a higher crime rate targeted largely towards the poor and homeless due to low light conditions, many of them are dying.

Still unfair to expect anyone else to contribute towards the streetlights?

Do you think rich people want crime? Why would they not contribute toward it?


OH MY GOD YOU'RE A FUCKING MORON.

YES. THEY LITERALLY DO WANT CRIME. BUT ONLY FOR POOR PEOPLE.

You assume that the rich even think twice about it. They don't WANT crime they just don't, typically, care if it happens. Now the Democrat Establishment want crime, it is how they keep their voter base needy and needing them.


No, a lot of them literally want crime. It's largely the private prisons here, and to a degree big pharma.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #532  (isolation #35)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm

In post 530, KuroiXHF wrote:Preview Edit: LOL @ Broseidon. You think rich people want crime, and you call ME an idiot. The irony. You're starting to make Psyche look educated.


Private prisons are a thing that exist.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #533  (isolation #36)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:55 pm

In post 529, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 527, BROseidon wrote:It's gonna be funny watching your worldview fall apart once the only way to make money is to own the means of production because all work has been obsoleted. That will be really, really fun.

Isn't the popular idea that once that happens we will all be forced to specialize?


We'll keep specializing until eventually machines do literally all work better than people. The buck stops at a certain point.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #564  (isolation #37)  » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Rob, but muh supply demand curves!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #569  (isolation #38)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:52 am

In post 566, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 512, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 507, Rob13 wrote:
In post 505, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 490, Rob13 wrote:If you think free-riding isn't a problem, then propose to me a solution to my streetlight example. What should everyone pay in order to fairly pay for the streetlight without having any one person free-loading?

Take out the street lights. Then if you want to see buy better headlights.


Headlights would cost $50. No-one except the person who valued light at $50 would buy one, and everyone would be much worse off except that person. This is clearly not optimal.

I garentee you that if you removed the street lights, everyone will start to value light at $50. Supply meet demand.

So, like Colorado Springs, circa 2010?
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14303473
http://www.usrepresented.com/2013/08/26 ... s-economy/

The city was so dedicated to the idea of low taxes that they cut streetlights, didn't maintain any medians or parks, shut down community centers and libraries, sold off all their police helicopters and laid off entire divisions, left firefighter positions unfilled, etc.

In the end, those that could afford streetlights did so, and poorer neighborhoods went without. Creating a real division within the town. Also they couldn't attract tourists which meant that they were much, much slower to recover from the depression.

"Screw you, I got mine" is not a good government idiom.


Oh no, not those pesky facts entering the thread again!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #571  (isolation #39)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:43 pm

lol.

"These academic studies about how things work disagree with my experience in something vaguely related, and therefore you are wrong"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #572  (isolation #40)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:43 pm

Like do you not understand that not all markets work the same way?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #574  (isolation #41)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:59 pm

lol

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #575  (isolation #42)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:59 pm

You're a moron.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #577  (isolation #43)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:38 pm

He has the best words!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #597  (isolation #44)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Rob stop trying to reason with it.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #598  (isolation #45)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:06 pm

It clearly can't listen to things like logic and scientific studies.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #605  (isolation #46)  » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:03 pm

I too was tricked :(

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #625  (isolation #47)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:49 am

Lol that map. Only 4 states (OK, UT, VT, MA) all went one party or another by county.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #626  (isolation #48)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:50 am

So many states have such geometric counties, and the CA is like "lol u"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #627  (isolation #49)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:50 am

Oh whoops Hawaii also went all-blue.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #630  (isolation #50)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

In post 628, zoraster wrote:
In post 626, BROseidon wrote:So many states have such geometric counties, and the CA is like "lol u"


Yeah. there's some funny stuff with counties. Rhode Island manages to cram 5 counties into its borders, leading to the smallest average county area of around 200 sq. miles. Virginia is next at 294, and has a county that is only 2 sq. miles (Falls Church)! Compare that to Los Angeles county, which is 4,752 sq. miles.


Virginia counties are weird. It took me like 20 minutes to figure out how Arlington works as a county with no incorporated townships.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #631  (isolation #51)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

Also I lived in Falls Church right when I moved to the DC area. My grandmother lives there.

It's really boring.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #635  (isolation #52)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:42 am

The way in which Austin is gerrymandered is actually like the worst thing ever.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #636  (isolation #53)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:42 am

I also enjoy how some congressional districts are literally states.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #709  (isolation #54)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:45 pm

There's a lot of things that don't seem to phase him that really should :/

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #714  (isolation #55)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 pm

In post 712, zoraster wrote:
In post 710, Killthestory wrote:
In post 708, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 707, drmyshottyizsik wrote:but he is the best man for the country, I believe.

So the lack of any previous political experience doesn't faze you?

And Hillary's who's literally nicknamed "The Evil Clit" doesn't faze you? I mean, it's pretty said when all the presidential candidates who have political experience are doing about equal to Trump.


What? Your sentences don't make a lot of sense. Also, that's an incredibly sexist name.


Sexism in Hillary hatred? Why I never...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #716  (isolation #56)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:14 pm

...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #717  (isolation #57)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:14 pm

~intelligence~

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #723  (isolation #58)  » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:28 pm

In post 719, Killthestory wrote:
In post 717, BROseidon wrote:~intelligence~

rip


"Clit" is literally in "Hillary CliNton's name"

How u so smart?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #733  (isolation #59)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:16 am

In post 730, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 729, Majiffy wrote:
In post 722, Kublai Khan wrote:You can't run a government like a business. It's just not possible.

Especially since he's not even especially adept at running businesses.

Oh really? He is valued at between 6 and 10 billion dollars, and he isn't a good business man? The company he took over from his father was failing.


He would have had a higher income shoving all his money in the s&p500, by most estimates. It's hard to pin down because we don't know exactly how much he started with, and his current net worth changes based on how he feels on a day-to-day basis.

Still, though, as a venture guy, he underperformed the largest companies in the US on returns. That's what we call "bad"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #741  (isolation #60)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:11 am

In post 735, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 733, BROseidon wrote:
In post 730, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 729, Majiffy wrote:
In post 722, Kublai Khan wrote:You can't run a government like a business. It's just not possible.

Especially since he's not even especially adept at running businesses.

Oh really? He is valued at between 6 and 10 billion dollars, and he isn't a good business man? The company he took over from his father was failing.


He would have had a higher income shoving all his money in the s&p500, by most estimates. It's hard to pin down because we don't know exactly how much he started with, and his current net worth changes based on how he feels on a day-to-day basis.

Still, though, as a venture guy, he underperformed the largest companies in the US on returns. That's what we call "bad"

It literally does not matter though. Drumpf could be a business genius, but private sector skills do not translate to public sector skills. Except in the case of people planning to grift as much public money into their private pockets and... waitaminute...


It's the "your argument is both irrelevant and wrong" point!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #742  (isolation #61)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:12 am

In post 740, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 739, zoraster wrote:He got significantly more than 1 million. He inherited 200m from his father.

Anyway, there's significant disagreement on how much he's worth:

Image

Image

His father was living when he started his company and he received a 1 million dollar loan in which he paid back with interest.


"I think the Economist is wrong"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #743  (isolation #62)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:13 am

Also the discrepancy b/w how Trump values his net worth vs. how everyone else does it is that Trump arbitrarily values his "brand" at about 4bn.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #747  (isolation #63)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm

In post 746, Elbirn wrote:
In post 743, BROseidon wrote:Also the discrepancy b/w how Trump values his net worth vs. how everyone else does it is that Trump arbitrarily values his "brand" at about 4bn.


...So the name trump itself is hypothetically worth 4 billion because he says so?



Wait



What the fuck does that even MEAN


It means the man has narcissistic personality disorder.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #748  (isolation #64)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:26 pm

A lot of the stuff that John Oliver covered in his trump segment was really amazing

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #757  (isolation #65)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:06 pm

In post 749, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Hillary values a 30 minute speech at a quarter of a million dollars. That's not narcissistic? Well, it may just be collusion but still.


The difference is that that is generating actual cashflow. Trump values his "brand" in addition to all the cashflow he generates, which isn't a real thing unless you're a startup (and startup valuations are borked as fuck anyways, coming from someone who works at one)

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #758  (isolation #66)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:07 pm

In post 753, zoraster wrote:Reputation, name brands, good will are all things with legitimate value. Drumpfs name, perhaps until this election — or perhaps even more after this — definitely has a monetary value of something.


Which is theoretically realized in the cashflow of his businesses somewhere.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #767  (isolation #67)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm

In post 762, Not_Mafia wrote:When did America stop being great?


Never, because it never was truly "great" relative to today

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #768  (isolation #68)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm

In post 766, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 762, Not_Mafia wrote:When did America stop being great?

In my opinion around 1933. However it has been fairly up and down until the 60s, which I think some real progress was made.in the 60s but it did have a price, and staid meh until the late 70s then turned up for the first half of the 80s but went fairly bleh again around bush sr. and hasn't really gotten much better. We have simultaneously cut our military and also engaged in more and more over seas war and police presences, most of which for corrupt and personal reasons. We have made ourselves slaves to big oil through both the destruction of the middle east, a lot of which we cause, and through our own regulations on drilling in the us. We have made ourselves slaves to big pharm with a growning lack of responsibility and accountability and also the corrupt cash flow coming from over prescripting and a healthcare system that work when it was in a bubble but since hasn't worked, doesn't work, and if we don't either completely deregulate, and eliminate state line or go single payer l, won't work. We have a huge amount of undocumented workers, net annually or not there are a lot here and we need an easier way to citizenship but one with the future in mind, both imidiate and long term. America hasn't been great in a long time due to weak liberal policy and corrupt cronyism with in the republicans alike. It's time for a non partisan government. One that work of for and by the people.


"America was great when it was great for rich white men"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #769  (isolation #69)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Like seriously, shit is fucked now but it was way more fucked during the gilded era

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #770  (isolation #70)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:52 pm

And before that was slavery so...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #779  (isolation #71)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Lol

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #780  (isolation #72)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:50 pm

#feeltheshill

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #789  (isolation #73)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:47 pm

Oh my god real sources

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #798  (isolation #74)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Yeah I don't think Warren is going to convince anyone who's already drunk the Drumpf Koolaid.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #799  (isolation #75)  » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Also the makedonalddrumpfagain plugin is the best thing ever.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #834  (isolation #76)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:01 pm

From a purely fiscal perspective/politics perspective, going from Bernie to Trump or vice versa isn't that weird. Trump is the most-left Republican fiscally (by far), and Clinton is the most-right dem candidate. In addition, Trump and Sanders have both put a big emphasis on trade-isolationism (anti-TPP, anti-NAFTA) and on wealth inequality in a way that Hillary hasn't done a great job with (and her credibility on fighting income inequality is really bad).

The part that makes Trump unpalatable to more urban Bernie supporters are his social positions. To more exurban or rural Bernie supporters, I can see that not really mattering as much.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #835  (isolation #77)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Like 100% of what terrifies me about Drumpf is his racialized nationalism and authoritarian tendencies combined with his complete lack of knowledge about foreign policy issues in a time when the world is on a knife's edge in a lot of ways. Of the Republicans, Drumpf is, in a lot of ways, the least scary behind the ostentation.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #837  (isolation #78)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

NAFTA probably made shit that was going terribly somewhat worse.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #838  (isolation #79)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

And most urban elite that dominate both parties don't really understand why people in the rust belt are rebelling against it so hard b/c they haven't seen how destroyed places like Detroit, Toledo, and Baltimore really are.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #839  (isolation #80)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Like seriously, going to Toledo and hearing about the shit that goes down there from the waitress I had at an Italian restaurant who was also a grad student working to become a school counselor was some of the saddest shit.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #841  (isolation #81)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I mean, there are a lot of potential solutions.

We are currently implementing 0 of them.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #844  (isolation #82)  » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:02 pm

Ka korerohia iti te reo Maori e ahau. I can probably learn more.

Oh wait NZ speaks English nevermind.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #881  (isolation #83)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:24 am

There isn't a DOJ indictment coming.

You're better off hoping that she literally dies.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #885  (isolation #84)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 am

In post 884, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 883, Not_Mafia wrote:Yes the Sanders delusions of making Mexico pay for a wall and deportation forces ejecting people's families

If we threaten to leave nafta a wall will go up. Plus Mexico already built one for Guatemala


lol.

You're delusional.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #888  (isolation #85)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 am

lol

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #889  (isolation #86)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 am

Like you're so far off the rails that I can't actually justify putting together a cogent response.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #891  (isolation #87)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 am

TIDES GO IN, TIDES GO OUT. YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT!!!!!!!!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #894  (isolation #88)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:36 am

Vicente Fox literally just started laughing when asked about it.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #897  (isolation #89)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 am

In post 896, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 894, BROseidon wrote:Vicente Fox literally just started laughing when asked about it.

Yes because I care a lot about a washed up and corrupt Mexican politician. HIS opinion is most definitely what we should base American policies on! The man who built him self a luxury ranch off of the scraps of a crumbling country he was supposed to be ruling and representing.


Oh my god I can't.

Mexican politician opinions matter when you're trying to literally force them to do something.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #900  (isolation #90)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:11 am

Yeah I somehow doubt that Vicente Fox has a substantially deviant opinion from the rest of Mexico.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #906  (isolation #91)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:32 am

In post 905, Kublai Khan wrote:I'm feeling like Shotty has me on ignore.


I dunno why he'd have you on ignore and not me. I've been far worse to him in this thread.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #916  (isolation #92)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 am

Itlepip why are you using reason?

It clearly doesn't listen to reason.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #921  (isolation #93)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am

In post 916, BROseidon wrote:Itlepip why are you using reason?

It clearly doesn't listen to reason.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #944  (isolation #94)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:43 pm

In post 941, Psyche wrote:even us millenials don't respect the writing section


No I do I did slightly better on it than reading!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #945  (isolation #95)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:43 pm

In post 942, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 941, Psyche wrote:even us millenials don't respect the writing section

Nor did Cornell when I got in.


Only Cornell, lol

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #946  (isolation #96)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:43 pm

Cornell is a public school

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #950  (isolation #97)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:15 pm

In post 948, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 945, BROseidon wrote:
In post 942, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 941, Psyche wrote:even us millenials don't respect the writing section

Nor did Cornell when I got in.


Only Cornell, lol

To bad I went to North Texas, Cornell out of state is way to much.


It's a joke - Cornell is private/public hybrid, so the rest of us Ivy Leaguers like to make fun of it because elitism.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #951  (isolation #98)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:16 pm

Also Ivy League schools tend to give out more financial aid than almost anyone else on a need basis. A lot of people end up at Ivy League schools because "I got into [Ivy] and liberal arts college X and the Ivy gave me way more money."

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #953  (isolation #99)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm

HYP

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #954  (isolation #100)  » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Eating clubs.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #980  (isolation #101)  » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:00 pm

In post 979, LlamaFluff wrote:
In post 968, Psyche wrote:thread is getting offtopic


GOP debate simulator 2016


Isn't that just chaining random insults together?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1011  (isolation #102)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:58 am

In post 1005, Rob13 wrote:Swarthmore is probably better if you want to go to graduate school.


Seconded.

Swarthmore is one of the best physics programs in the country.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1012  (isolation #103)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:58 am

Also Swathmore's financial aid office should be pretty generous - the Tri-College tries pretty hard.

That said, I also don't think they have quite the level of free money that Haverford does.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1026  (isolation #104)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:21 pm

In post 1015, Majiffy wrote:
In post 996, Elbirn wrote:Idk maybe it was 1700/(some higher number), I took it in like 2011 I think. Did it change at some point?

2005 or something like that. I know I was in one of the first few years to take the new 2400 version.


Jan 2005 was the last "old sat." After that, it was out of 2400 instead of 1600.

Jan 2016 was the last of that test. It is back to out of 1600, with changes that make the test more like the act

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1027  (isolation #105)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Tbh the recent changes to the sat make it less terrible.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1041  (isolation #106)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:25 pm

In post 1030, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
itle wrote:I hate the writing section, I went from a 1580 to a 2190
I feel ya. I went from 1560 to 2120


It shows

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1042  (isolation #107)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:26 pm

I don't get why you all suck at writing.

It's the easiest section by far.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1044  (isolation #108)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 pm

Like yeah the essay is bullshit, but you can be pretty braindead and get a 9 on the essay, at which point you can still get mid-700s on the writing because you shouldn't get more than a few wrong on the multiple choices unless you literally can't write

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1046  (isolation #109)  » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:32 pm

I got a 770 with a 9/12 on the essay. It's a basic check of whether you know prestige-English

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1059  (isolation #110)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:37 am

In post 1049, Zulfy wrote:Did no one else take the ACT
wtf


People on the coasts tend to bias towards SAT, people inland tend to take the ACT

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1062  (isolation #111)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:23 am

In post 1060, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1041, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1030, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
itle wrote:I hate the writing section, I went from a 1580 to a 2190
I feel ya. I went from 1560 to 2120


It shows

It's not binary. I didn't miss any of the multiple choice on the writing section. Also, as Reck may pop up and point out. I was a horrible speller back then.


And you got a 560?

That's literally impossible. Even with a 0 on the essay, a perfect multiple-choice score should put you in the mid-600s on the old test.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1063  (isolation #112)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:24 am

Also it's really fucking hard to do that poorly on the essay. Getting a 0 basically requires you to basically just not write anything.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1076  (isolation #113)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:52 am

Also, in a lot of ways, we should be allies with Iran. The reason we aren't involves a lot of bullshit and the USA being in bed with the bad guys.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1079  (isolation #114)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:16 pm

In post 1078, Cephrir wrote:
In post 1046, BROseidon wrote:I got a 770 with a 9/12 on the essay. It's a basic check of whether you know prestige-English


I got a 9 the first time. When I went to take it again, a friend told me how the rubric works 5 minutes before I went in, and then I got a 12. That is pretty stupid, but.


I literally couldn't write fast enough to get a 12 :/

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1080  (isolation #115)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:16 pm

It's okay though I made up for it by being really good at grammar.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1083  (isolation #116)  » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:54 pm

It's not that hard. English decided it doesn't have a case system but couldn't commit 100%.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1099  (isolation #117)  » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 am

In post 1090, Majiffy wrote:
In post 1089, Zulfy wrote:
In post 1076, BROseidon wrote:Also, in a lot of ways, we should be allies with Iran. The reason we aren't involves a lot of bullshit and the USA being in bed with the bad guys.


The Iranian government is Pretty Terrible.

The Iranian government is Significantly Less Terrible than Most Mid Eastern Governments We Actively Support


Yeah, that's part of where I'm coming from. Saudi Arabia, in particular, is pretty terrible. It's also that Iranians, as a whole, don't like the US government (because duh), but they tend to view Americans somewhat favorably.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1100  (isolation #118)  » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:56 am

In post 1093, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 1091, Elbirn wrote:*burps*

I was posited the argument that trumps wall will create jobs and is therefore good and I'm not smart enough to agree or disagree with that statement and have surprisingly found very little on that particular tidbit

Well, I guess it creates jobs the same way the Census creates jobs.

But we could also do something like use that same money and create the same jobs by improving our infrastructure and get more of a long-term benefit.


A wall just costs money to maintain and doesn't help the economy. Improving our road/highway infrastructure does.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1104  (isolation #119)  » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:18 am

Oh money totally isn't real.

In the short-term, the wall creates jobs. But once the wall is done, that's it. It doesn't add any additional value. You have to pay some amount of money to have people maintain it, but it degrades. It's value depreciates.

Meanwhile, if you use that money to improve road infrastructure, it facilitates trade by letting goods be moved. People can get to work faster, thereby increasing worker productivity. Even after the workers are done with the road upgrades, the road upgrades add value. A wall doesn't do that.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1133  (isolation #120)  » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:28 am

Or they say that they're just trolls who are okay with the country going to shit "for teh lulz"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1136  (isolation #121)  » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:04 pm

In post 1135, Rob13 wrote:Also, hoping that reck will reconsider the view that he held last I knew that he wouldn't bother voting for Hillary in the general election if Bernie didn't get the nomination. If Drumpf is the alternative, I hope he'll turn out.


Oh he was trolling.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1137  (isolation #122)  » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:04 pm

The FB chatlog I have with Reck about that is pretty great tbh.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1147  (isolation #123)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:52 am

No Trump wants to win now, but that wasn't the original intention.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1150  (isolation #124)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 am

In post 1143, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 1137, BROseidon wrote:The FB chatlog I have with Reck about that is pretty great tbh.

I have no knowledge of this alleged "chatlog"


lol

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1187  (isolation #125)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:01 pm

In post 1186, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Also Drumpf doesn't incite violence or call for violence.


Dude, this has been proven false multiple times in the thread.

Are you even trying at this point?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1240  (isolation #126)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:27 pm

In post 1233, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Being middle eastern (Iran) myself, I am sometimes forgetful of how ignorant people are about this stuff.

Since you guys loved my last reddit mention last time, here's another post that relates to my experience:

(OP sent proof to mods)

Hey the_donald, I'm a 19 year old girl living in America with muslim immigrant parents. Until yesterday, I had not once removed my Hajib in my life while outside. I tried to do it once when I was 10 years old, and my parents grounded me for a week.

Let me tell you something right now, there are no "moderate muslims". There are no "assimilated muslims". Throughout my life, I have been to three different mosques regularly. Everyone there had some kind of animosity to America. Either they support jihadist actions outright or they refuse to condemn them, or they victim blame christians and the west. Every time theres a terrorist attack, all over the media there are reports of muslims who speak out against jihad or protest terrorists.

This is bullshit.

The last time I went to service at my mosque was right after the Brussels attack. You want to know how many of them were condemning it? 0. Not a single one. My parents over facebook (which they refuse to let me post publically to) both started complaining about Islamophobia that would sprout. Not even a faux prayer for the victims. I've been secretly watching Drumpf and his speeches for the last few months, and agreeing with what he says about Islam. This religion is fucking garbage. You want to know what people at my mosque say to me when I ask them about Drumpf or about terrorists crossing the border?

"Don't speak woman"

I have internalized this all my life and just recently I had joined a feminist group on campus where there were a surprising number of Drumpf supporters, who have helped me through this. While they didn't push me to take off my hajib and renounce Islam, Ive decided to do it myself. My parents have not assimilated. None of my "friends" from mosque have either. I want to be a doctor, I want to have sex, I want to walk around town without a male chaperone. None of these things are permitted. Let me be clear, no muslim girl is wearing a hajib by choice. They know that if they're caught without one, they WILL be punished. My parents will probobly disown me when they find out, but fuck it.

The worst part is all the liberals on campus apologizing for mulims, especially the Bernie girls going around wearing Hajibs "in solidarity". Well congratulations, you are officially a conquered people of the caliphate. When liberals do this and encourage more muslims to enter the country, people at the mosques are not sighing in relief that whites aren't racist, they are giddy that they are accepting the new islamic state so easily.

Only Drumpf is standing up to these animals. We don't want a single one in our country. If Drumpf doesn't win, I will happily die the last woman not covering her head. Liberals have no idea what Islam really is.


r/asablackman

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1241  (isolation #127)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Also, we should deport all Christians for Christian support of the genocide of gays in Uganda, given that the "kill the gays" bill was literally drafted by American pastors.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1247  (isolation #128)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:32 pm

In post 1246, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1241, BROseidon wrote:Also, we should deport all Christians for Christian support of the genocide of gays in Uganda, given that the "kill the gays" bill was literally drafted by American pastors.

An argument against Islam is not a argument for Christianity. The is a red haring we weren't discussing Christians


It's called logical consistency.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1250  (isolation #129)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:35 pm

In post 1244, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 1238, AlwaysInnocent wrote:You seem to believe all Muslims are out there to impose "Sharia Law" on the entire world. I think that is highly paranoid and should not serve as a basis for politics.


Muzammil Siddiqi, chairman of both the Fiqh Council of North America, which dispenses Islamic rulings, and the North American Islamic Trust, which owns most of the mosques in the U.S.: “As Muslims, we should participate in the system to safeguard our interests and try to bring gradual change, (but) we must not forget that Allah’s rules have to be established in all lands, and all our efforts should lead to that direction.”

Omar Ahmad, co-founder of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the top Muslim lobby group in Washington: “Islam isn’t in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Quran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on Earth.”

CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper: “I wouldn’t want to create the impression that I wouldn’t like the government of the United States to be Islamic sometime in the future.”

Imam Siraj Wahhaj, director of the Muslim Alliance in North America: “In time, this so-called democracy will crumble, and there will be nothing. And the only thing that will remain will be Islam.”

Imam Zaid Shakir, co-founder of Zaytuna College in Berkeley, Calif.: “If we put a nationwide infrastructure in place and marshaled our resources, we’d take over this country in a very short time. . . . What a great victory it will be for Islam to have this country in the fold and ranks of the Muslims.”…


Oh my god I just source checked this.

investors.com sure is a reliable news source, especially when no primary sources are cited!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1252  (isolation #130)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:36 pm

In post 1249, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1247, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1246, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1241, BROseidon wrote:Also, we should deport all Christians for Christian support of the genocide of gays in Uganda, given that the "kill the gays" bill was literally drafted by American pastors.

An argument against Islam is not a argument for Christianity. The is a red haring we weren't discussing Christians


It's called logical consistency.

No it's called mis direction. These things aren't transitive


No, but if you want to ban all muslims because of violent actions of a small number of muslims, you have to apply the same logic to any religious group.

And, fact of the matter is, in the United States, Christians both have historically and continue to cause the largest amount of human life. We should kick all Christians out of the country and not let in any Christians!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1254  (isolation #131)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Like fuck, just drop the refugees in Dearborn and be done with it.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1286  (isolation #132)  » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:20 pm

It's also about getting people to turn into shitheads like ABR and shotty had so that we ostracize muslims and make radicalization easier.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1315  (isolation #133)  » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:39 pm

People don't know that illegal immigrants actually pay taxes and don't get tax returns? Da fuq.

Y'all need to read a book

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1391  (isolation #134)  » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:17 am

In post 1389, Rob13 wrote:Bernie got about what he needed to stay in this in Wisconsin, again coming from well behind in polling a couple weeks ago. The campaign will hopefully ignore Wyoming entirely. With a caucus system, a white population, and only 14 delegates to be had, it's not worth putting serious effort into getting that one or two extra delegates. New York is huge. If Bernie wants to have any chance, he needs to win there. He doesn't necessarily need to win with any type of serious margin because California can make up the difference.


Yeah, at this point Bernie just needs to push really hard on CA and NY. A big win in CA could turn it, but that's not looking super likely right now

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1468  (isolation #135)  » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Are you saying "a stv" or "an S-T-V?"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1469  (isolation #136)  » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:27 pm

No IPA on mobile sry

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1484  (isolation #137)  » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:12 pm

In post 1471, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1468, BROseidon wrote:Are you saying "a stv" or "an S-T-V?"

A Single Transferable Vote


Lol missing the point

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1485  (isolation #138)  » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:13 pm

In post 1473, Majiffy wrote:
In post 1471, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1468, BROseidon wrote:Are you saying "a stv" or "an S-T-V?"

A Single Transferable Vote

Yes but are you pronouncing each letter individually in STV or are you saying it like like a word with no vowels, stv

Because if you're saying it S-T-V (the former) then it's an STV


Getting the point!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1492  (isolation #139)  » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:21 pm

In post 1490, Zulfy wrote:Maybe " a stuhv"


"Stv" is a perfectly viable consonant cluster in Georgian. Don't be so plebeian"

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1494  (isolation #140)  » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:49 pm

The joke is that Georgian can have consonant clusters up to 8 consonants long.

English only goes up to 4, and only in syllable codas. Georgian also doesn't have those, only onsets

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1517  (isolation #141)  » Sun May 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Oh look TSO's back.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1803  (isolation #142)  » Mon May 09, 2016 2:27 pm

In post 1798, Rob13 wrote:The "Mexican isn't a race" argument is especially amusing because it just replaces racism with xenophobia, which isn't any better.


"You're using the wrong word to describe the bigotry."

And it's all code for "brown people" anyways, so yeah it's still ultimately racism.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1804  (isolation #143)  » Mon May 09, 2016 2:29 pm

Like, if I met Trump in person, I would expect him to be racist towards me, despite the fact that I'm ethnically and culturally white, because I'm not melanin-challenged. It doesn't matter that he nominally only spews hate speech about Mexicans and Muslims - it's all, at the end of the day, code for "brown."

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1818  (isolation #144)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:27 pm

In post 1808, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1807, Dwlee99 wrote:
In post 1806, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1803, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1798, Rob13 wrote:The "Mexican isn't a race" argument is especially amusing because it just replaces racism with xenophobia, which isn't any better.


"You're using the wrong word to describe the bigotry."

And it's all code for "brown people" anyways, so yeah it's still ultimately racism.

See this is racist.

how is that racist?

Assuming that when I white man speaks about a country that is prominently Hispanic, that he doesn't know the difference in a race and a country.


That's... not remotely what I'm doing.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1820  (isolation #145)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Like, it's fairly well established that things like "illegals," "Muslims," etc are all labels that only are ever applied to brown/black bodies, and that attacks against those groups are explicitly attacks against brown/black people who ~may~ fall into those groups.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1821  (isolation #146)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:29 pm

I highly doubt Trump wants to limit immigration from Indonesia or Albania, for instance.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1826  (isolation #147)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:38 pm

In post 1822, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1821, BROseidon wrote:I highly doubt Trump wants to limit immigration from Indonesia or Albania, for instance.

We already limit immigration from Albania... like a lot. My brother is Albanian


We limit immigration from a lot of places.

I meant "limit" in the sense of "ban outright." My bad on the wording.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1828  (isolation #148)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:39 pm

In post 1825, Psyche wrote:donald trump is not worse than a participant in the holocaust can we please calm the hell down


But he still has the potential to be!

We all do!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1829  (isolation #149)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:40 pm

Also, "Make America Great Again" is an implicitly racialized slogan...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1833  (isolation #150)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:44 pm

In post 1830, kuribo wrote:
In post 1825, Psyche wrote:donald trump is not worse than a participant in the holocaust can we please calm the hell down



It was a fucking exaggerated metaphor in that people are accused of "making him look bad," the point is his own words make him look worse than I ever could.


But while we're at it, at least many of the guards at the concentration camps had their families threatened. Trump openly advocates the relocation of millions of people based on their ethnicity. Hmmmm


He also wants to bomb the family's of terrorists.

Because being an international war criminal in fun!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1834  (isolation #151)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:45 pm

In post 1831, kuribo wrote:
In post 1829, BROseidon wrote:Also, "Make America Great Again" is an implicitly racialized slogan...



"Take America Back! (From non-whites)"


Also from the dirty queers. The ascent of LGBT rights from the mid 00s to now probably contributed to the authoritarian pivot of the political discourse. Gay people went from untouchables to completely accepted/normalized in the media in a span of <20 years.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1835  (isolation #152)  » Mon May 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Like, Lawrence v Texas was 2002.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1862  (isolation #153)  » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

In post 1850, drmyshottyizsik wrote:I'm re opening this thread. But this is not a place for hate speech. If you don't like Trump, then leave go start you own anti-trump thread.


I don't think you know what this phrase means...

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1864  (isolation #154)  » Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Because nobody here has said anything along the lines of "Trump is terrible because he is (white/a man/straight/wealthy/etc)."

It's been "Trump is terrible because he's a racist, xenophobic, authoritarian piece of shit." Calling someone out for behavior or beliefs isn't hate speech.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1872  (isolation #155)  » Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 pm

In post 1870, Davsto wrote:
In post 1866, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1864, BROseidon wrote:Because nobody here has said anything along the lines of "Trump is terrible because he is (white/a man/straight/wealthy/etc)."

It's been "Trump is terrible because he's a racist, xenophobic, authoritarian piece of shit." Calling someone out for behavior or beliefs isn't hate speech.

So if I call someone out for being Muslim(beliefs) that isn't hate speech? Why is this a one way road?

Also hate speech is speech that contains hate.

By "beliefs" I don't think he meant religious beliefs.


Yeah, religion falls into this weird space where it's technically a belief, but we generally accept it as being "identity." When I was younger, I was super miffed by this, but now I kind of get it a bit more (seeing as how my relationship with Christianity massively shaped my identity, even though I no longer am religious)

By beliefs, I mean economic and foreign policy, stances on immigration, bigotry, etc.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1873  (isolation #156)  » Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Like, taking issue with specific aspects of religious doctrine is fine.

Saying all Muslims are terrorists is hate speech.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1874  (isolation #157)  » Tue May 10, 2016 3:42 pm

In post 1867, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1864, BROseidon wrote:Because nobody here has said anything along the lines of "Trump is terrible because he is (white/a man/straight/wealthy/etc)."

It's been "Trump is terrible because he's a racist, xenophobic, authoritarian piece of shit." Calling someone out for behavior or beliefs isn't hate speech.

Also I was talking about the personal attack on me not about Trump. Say what you want about him. Just leave me, my religion, and my family out of it.


Insulting you and your family isn't hate speech. It's mean and an ad hom attack, but in policy/public discourse, not hate speech.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1877  (isolation #158)  » Tue May 10, 2016 4:11 pm

#rekt

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1878  (isolation #159)  » Tue May 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Basically, still yes, because you're fear-mongering not based in facts and applying a standard to one group that you don't apply to other groups.

Not to mention that what gets called "terrorism" is largely driven by issues of identity.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1904  (isolation #160)  » Wed May 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Also that taking the time off to raise a child permanently damages earning potential.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1906  (isolation #161)  » Wed May 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Yeah, but we, as a society, expect women to take that hit.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1959  (isolation #162)  » Wed May 11, 2016 8:13 pm

In post 1956, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Here's the problem with this KK. You are asking out government to regulate morality, and this is impossible.


Welp guess the government doesn't do anything and murder is legal and shit!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1972  (isolation #163)  » Wed May 11, 2016 10:30 pm

In post 1960, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1959, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1956, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Here's the problem with this KK. You are asking out government to regulate morality, and this is impossible.


Welp guess the government doesn't do anything and murder is legal and shit!

Murder is more than just a moral problem.


No it's strictly a moral problem because everything fundamentally touches morality.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2020  (isolation #164)  » Thu May 12, 2016 4:57 pm

In post 1974, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1972, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1960, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1959, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1956, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Here's the problem with this KK. You are asking out government to regulate morality, and this is impossible.


Welp guess the government doesn't do anything and murder is legal and shit!

Murder is more than just a moral problem.


No it's strictly a moral problem because everything fundamentally touches morality.

You contradicted yourself there. How can everyhing be strictly moral but everything just touch morality?


Wow, uh.

I can't.

Like, this is too stupid for me to justify responding to.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2021  (isolation #165)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:00 pm

In post 1979, drmyshottyizsik wrote:I don't agree with the idea that I shouldn't want to make my and my family's lives better because other places suck. Yes I am American and I am quite proud and privileged to be one. However I have seen lesser parts of the world, mexico, canada, Israel, Albania, Turkey, Finland(not really bad there though), Oklahoma (that state is worse than mexico). I understand that I am lucky, but I have no guilt that stems from that. My family has worked it's ass offand always have my great great and a few more greats grandfather was William Penn. My 3 times great grandfather owned one of the first oil drilling companies in ohio. my great uncle owns and operates the only moon shine distillery in ohio. My family lost most everything after world war one, but my grand father shoveled coal for 1 dollar a ton to pay for school and became head of engineering and thermodynamics for BP. My uncle is cto of liberty mutual. my mother owns a large pr firm, and I am 22 and already an IT director. There is a difference in having privilege and pissing it away and actually being raised to desire accomplishment. My family is fairly wealthy in most cases, but I've never seen a dime. Not for university, food, rent, or anything. Just because I had a social and geographical predisposition does not mean I should feel guilty or be any less free in enjoying my pursuit of happiness.


Lol.

And if your family were black, none of that would have been possible.

Have some fucking awareness about how your historical location has allowed your family's hard work to actually pay off

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2022  (isolation #166)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:01 pm

In post 1990, itlepip wrote:Its a dumb argument shotty because drug tests cost between 10 and 30 dollars and there are 100 million people who have some sort of welfare (because welfare is fricken everywhere and helps basically everyone who doesn't have William Penn as an ancestor). So that would be between 1-3 billion dollars not counting processing and bureucratic costs. Good job Shotty!

That's the issue, the question of drug tests don't matter because you just threw away 3 billion dollars to prove a point.


The drug tests also don't actually catch anything.

And even if they did - they catch pot. Which should just be fucking legal already. Drugs that actually adversely affect people's lives pass through your system too quickly to be caught.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2023  (isolation #167)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:02 pm

In post 1999, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1998, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 1979, drmyshottyizsik wrote:lesser parts of the world

canada... Finland

why would you identify Canada and Finland as "lesser"

I evrn specified that Finland wasn't that bad, you cut that out... and canda has a lok of run down parts


Most of the US is actually a 3rd world country.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2027  (isolation #168)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:11 pm

In post 2025, Fluminator wrote:
In post 2023, BROseidon wrote:
In post 1999, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 1998, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 1979, drmyshottyizsik wrote:lesser parts of the world

canada... Finland

why would you identify Canada and Finland as "lesser"

I evrn specified that Finland wasn't that bad, you cut that out... and canda has a lok of run down parts


Most of the US is actually a 3rd world country.

Really?


Yeah. Most of the US is a massive shithole.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2031  (isolation #169)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 pm

In post 2028, Fluminator wrote:Have you been to a third world country?


Yes

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2032  (isolation #170)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:20 pm

In post 2030, Zulfy wrote:3rd world countries have those also


I think most people in this thread don't understand what a lot of "3rd world country's" have.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2033  (isolation #171)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Like I think people understand how fucked some parts of the US are, but they severely overestimate how fucked a lot of parts of the world are.

"3rd World" also has a pretty broad range of economic statuses.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2038  (isolation #172)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 pm

In post 2036, Fluminator wrote:
In post 2031, BROseidon wrote:
In post 2028, Fluminator wrote:Have you been to a third world country?


Yes

Other than America?


I mean, I guess technically only 2nd world, but still crazy fucking impoverished.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2039  (isolation #173)  » Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Like it really shouldn't be surprising that I've been to Armenia, which has a per-capita GDP of 3.5k.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2147  (isolation #174)  » Tue May 17, 2016 1:43 pm

In post 2127, zoraster wrote:More people voting for Clinton than Sanders is what cost it.


However, this is completely without the context of the State Apparatuses imposing pro-Clinton-ness on us throughout the election cycle so that they could reproduce the means of production.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2150  (isolation #175)  » Tue May 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Ugh, how do I say that in a less theoretical, jargony way...

Hillary's dominating win wasn't because Hillary is necessarily the better candidate for everyone that voted for her, or that her policies align better with people's positions, or that she's going to be a "better president." They were a result of a system built to sustain and support itself, and that system supporting itself now wants to place Hillary in the presidency so that they can maintain control and (hopefully) select the next president. In this election we've also had the strongest confluence of the Repressive State Apparatuses (the parties) and the Ideological State Apparatuses (the media) I've ever seen (or maybe this is me getting older/more attuned to this sort of shit vs. 2008), but we've also seen a wide-spread rebellion against the State Apparatuses because, frankly, the bread and circuses have run out. On the Republican side, the people's rebellion against the SAs has been successful. Drumpf is now in control, and now the SAs (both Repressive and Ideological) are trying to figure out how they navigate the new order. The rebellion on the Democratic side has failed, but now the party is, relatively unwillingly, giving concessions to the people to prevent a later successful rebellion.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2153  (isolation #176)  » Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 pm

In post 2149, zoraster wrote:
In post 2147, BROseidon wrote:
In post 2127, zoraster wrote:More people voting for Clinton than Sanders is what cost it.


However, this is completely without the context of the State Apparatuses imposing pro-Clinton-ness on us throughout the election cycle so that they could reproduce the means of production.


I don't think this had much to do with it. I think there were some things that may have had an effect, such as having debates on Saturdays. But overall I think much more is made of it than is actually borne out.

I do, however, think the fact that Sanders did better in caucus states (which tend to be white western states) somewhat reduced his popular vote total. I think caucuses also HELPED him in terms of delegates, but in terms of absolute votes, he probably would have won slightly more voters overall if states with caucuses had voted in primaries.


The mainstream media blackout of Sanders, as well as their disdain of Sanders throughout the cycle, has certainly had a pretty negative impact on his campaign.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2154  (isolation #177)  » Tue May 17, 2016 1:51 pm

Also the amount of time Hillary has been in the limelight vs. Sanders also probably had some sort of impact.

Of all the candidates, Sanders had among the lowest amount of celebrity coming in (only really matched by the other non-Hillary dems and some of the more obscure republicans.)

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2164  (isolation #178)  » Tue May 17, 2016 2:11 pm

In post 2158, zoraster wrote:
In post 2150, BROseidon wrote:Ugh, how do I say that in a less theoretical, jargony way...

Hillary's dominating win wasn't because Hillary is necessarily the better candidate for everyone that voted for her, or that her policies align better with people's positions, or that she's going to be a "better president." They were a result of a system built to sustain and support itself, and that system supporting itself now wants to place Hillary in the presidency so that they can maintain control and (hopefully) select the next president. In this election we've also had the strongest confluence of the Repressive State Apparatuses (the parties) and the Ideological State Apparatuses (the media) I've ever seen (or maybe this is me getting older/more attuned to this sort of shit vs. 2008), but we've also seen a wide-spread rebellion against the State Apparatuses because, frankly, the bread and circuses have run out. On the Republican side, the people's rebellion against the SAs has been successful. Drumpf is now in control, and now the SAs (both Repressive and Ideological) are trying to figure out how they navigate the new order. The rebellion on the Democratic side has failed, but now the party is, relatively unwillingly, giving concessions to the people to prevent a later successful rebellion.


The irony of the first paragraph when considering the second.

This is how freshmen political science students talk. It's not convincing except that I know you know the term Repressive State Apparatus.


Yeah it needs a lot of editing.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2165  (isolation #179)  » Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 pm

I guess the tl;dr is that the political parties and the media set Hillary up to succeed as their chosen one, but that doesn't sound as negative as I feel it is

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2169  (isolation #180)  » Tue May 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2170  (isolation #181)  » Tue May 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Maybe not individuals, but the system did it deliberately to maintain it's authority

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2185  (isolation #182)  » Tue May 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Point out that Trump is fiscally super liberal.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2188  (isolation #183)  » Wed May 18, 2016 7:54 am

#feeltheshill

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2190  (isolation #184)  » Wed May 18, 2016 12:22 pm

oh my god, someone who uses SJW unironically.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2192  (isolation #185)  » Wed May 18, 2016 12:28 pm

I was saying it in a more indirect way.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2194  (isolation #186)  » Wed May 18, 2016 12:37 pm

yeah basically.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2204  (isolation #187)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm

lol.

It's a real life redditeur!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2206  (isolation #188)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Can we put it in a digital zoo for observation?

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2208  (isolation #189)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 pm

In post 2205, Dwlee99 wrote:wow arent you a nice person :roll:


I mean, I'm really not. Being snarky to ignorant people is fun!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2209  (isolation #190)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 pm

In post 2207, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Please say something to me when I see you next year.


Will do!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2215  (isolation #191)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

In post 2210, Albert B. Rampage wrote:Your views are extremely ignorant and I will forget by then just how stupid your opinions are so thanks.


Image

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2217  (isolation #192)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

In post 2214, Davsto wrote:
In post 2204, BROseidon wrote:lol.

It's a real life redditeur!

Excuuuuse me I think you'll find I'm a redditor!

Honestly, reddit leads towards the left a lot - rather progressive often, and there is a large number of Bernie supporters. It's just that the nasty, racist sort of people who abuse the site's "mostly free speech" policy are funnier to laugh at and get more negative publicity - in the same way that it's the nasty, "kill all men" kinda people who get a lot of publicity on Tumblr despite being a small population and now they are associated as being a large part of the group.


I'm also a redditor.

A "redditeur" is a redditor that does all that stupid shit.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2218  (isolation #193)  » Wed May 18, 2016 2:25 pm

Also tumblr is mostly porn.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2233  (isolation #194)  » Wed May 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Politics of apathy!

Someone is a southpark fan!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2243  (isolation #195)  » Wed May 18, 2016 4:58 pm

In post 2242, Dwlee99 wrote:inb4 abr says calling someone a faggot is okay.


I mean, given what he's posted here, that falls in line.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2305  (isolation #196)  » Thu May 19, 2016 1:43 pm

In post 2246, Albert B. Rampage wrote:There's a gay british guy that makes a living out of debating SJWs, his name is Milo. His tour is called "The Most Dangerous Faggot."


Milo is the #1 gay man we wish we could disown. Invoking him for anything involving LGBT rights because he's gay is the fastest way to prove you're an idiot. #2 is probably Peter Thiel, but, like, Milo takes it BY FAR.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2306  (isolation #197)  » Thu May 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Also re: Hedbo - I'm sure you were super supportive of the Muslims who wanted to peacefully protest his comics, but the French government banned the protest marches.

Oh, no? You only care about "Free Speech" when it meets your agenda? Got it.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2307  (isolation #198)  » Thu May 19, 2016 1:45 pm

In post 2265, drmyshottyizsik wrote:
In post 2260, Dwlee99 wrote:In 2011 and 2013 trump made homophobic comments, your move, shotty.

Oh I wasn't arguing, I just wanted proof. I support gay rights, I don't think Clinton or Drumpf or Sander will undue or try to undue that, so it's a non issue. I know dems like to freak out over non issues, but I'm going to sit this one out.


Trump has made it abundantly clear with his Supreme Court shortlist where he stands.

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2308  (isolation #199)  » Thu May 19, 2016 1:46 pm

In post 2269, Albert B. Rampage wrote:
In post 2259, InflatablePie wrote:when you use words that are harmful to them.


Children need to grow up. Words aren't harmful. What's harmful is people getting fired, becoming unhirable, sued, brought before the court, getting their lives destroyed. Blowing up somebody's private life online, plastering their picture everywhere, making the news pick up their story, so that when they walk outside people recognize who they are, that's harmful.

Words only hurt the ego. The ego is an illusion that we mistakenly attach ourselves to and identify with. If you find words harmful, then you need to grow up.


lol.

As if those things aren't intertwined.

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion