Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20022  (isolation #1200)  » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 pm

Man, that's such a poor understanding of abortion that even pro-lifers have to be annoyed
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20067  (isolation #1201)  » Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20070  (isolation #1202)  » Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

Depends where you draw the line as to what qualifies an infant. Is ejaculation mass murder? Should every miscarriage be investigated as a possible murder?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20085  (isolation #1203)  » Fri May 03, 2019 12:24 pm

In post 20084, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 20077, Inferno390 wrote:I draw the line as the coming together of 1 sperm and 1 egg = 1 human being.
Also, who argues that miscarriage is murder? Unless it’s due to abuse or something.

a number of activities increase the odds of miscarriage
would they then be considered abuse

and do you have any clue how frequent egg fertilization is vs. birth?

Shaft.ed is beating me to the punch, but yeah. If you think fertilization = person, then you have to investigate any and every failure to bring a fetus to term as a possible murder.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20105  (isolation #1204)  » Fri May 03, 2019 3:38 pm

In post 20091, Inferno390 wrote:
In post 20085, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 20084, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 20077, Inferno390 wrote:I draw the line as the coming together of 1 sperm and 1 egg = 1 human being.
Also, who argues that miscarriage is murder? Unless it’s due to abuse or something.
a number of activities increase the odds of miscarriage
would they then be considered abuse

and do you have any clue how frequent egg fertilization is vs. birth?
Shaft.ed is beating me to the punch, but yeah. If you think fertilization = person, then you have to investigate any and every failure to bring a fetus to term as a possible murder.
If I die of pneumonia, is that murder?
Come on guys, this is ridiculous. Death =\= murder and we all know that.

And if you do something that knowingly puts the life of the embryo at risk, if the embryo is a child, then that would be negligence on your part.

Do you know what women with unwanted pregnancies do in places where abortion is (or was) illegal? If they can't go to a doctor in a safe medical environment, then they are going to try to self-abort using various means. This ranges from straight-up bellyflopping onto a hard surface (or falling down the stairs) to douching with toxic substances (bleach, lye, turpentine) to ingesting Misoprostol (an ulcer medication that can induce labor early).

If you want to make abortion illegal and have feticide laws on the books (recognizing that all zygotes are human beings), then you have to investigate every miscarriage to see if it was the result of negligence or homicide. Every pregnant woman would be required to be tracked and monitored.

You may think I'm exaggerating, but there are anti-abortionists who will take it to that level if you crack open the door for them. If you want to draw line somewhere, then draw a firm line.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20120  (isolation #1205)  » Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20122  (isolation #1206)  » Fri May 03, 2019 4:49 pm

In post 20121, Lycanfire wrote:That's lowbrow humor disguised as a moral gotcha.

The sig doesn't say "Always intellectually honest".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20188  (isolation #1207)  » Sun May 05, 2019 9:34 pm

In post 20183, implosion wrote:
In post 20181, Flubbernugget wrote:time is a single point or instance, eg 3:62 PM.

:shifty:

He's using imperial time, not metric.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20192  (isolation #1208)  » Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 pm

Back to topic.

Kim Jong-Il launched a solid-fuel missile. In case anyone is surprised to learn that Trump didn't solve the North Korea problem.

Trump also weighed in on the Kentucky Derby finish and blamed political correctness.

Trump also re-tweeted a Jerry Falwell Jr. tweet suggesting that Trump should have two extra years to compensate for his first two years being bogged down by investigations.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20194  (isolation #1209)  » Mon May 06, 2019 5:40 am

Derr.. Kim Jong-Un.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20222  (isolation #1210)  » Mon May 06, 2019 7:32 pm

In post 20214, Fluminator wrote:People in this very thread have doubled down on the attitude that pro lifers are in it to enslave women. I think you underestimate just how much pro lifers get bombarded with “you hate women”.
I won’t apologize for saying something pretty tame unless abortion advocates stop saying what they do.

You didn't say something tame. You said something wrong (or at least provided no evidence when asked).

If you don't like being told you 'hate' women, maybe let them make their own choices about their bodies.

-*-*-*-
In Trump news, the "very fine people" in Charlottesville have been found guilty.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20228  (isolation #1211)  » Mon May 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Actual law:

Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

My bolding. This is an illegitimate decision by Mnuchin.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20271  (isolation #1212)  » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 am

PATRIOT FARMERS! I know you're going to lose money because of my stupid trade war with China. But patriotically make that sacrifice! The same way that soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan make sacrifices. We all make bigly sacrifices for this country which we are all patriots too. KFC hambergers for all.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20283  (isolation #1213)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

I'm teaching a unit in my science class called "Life Skills". There's stuff in there about making good choices, dealing with depression, anxiety, drug avoidance. But it also has a "media influences" section. Which is part of making good choices about whether to use drugs and it's supposed to be about recognizing that stuff we see in the media is a big part of whether or not people decide to do drugs. (Please anyone, don't respond about how I should be teaching kids that drugs are good)

Anyways, I'm trying to get a class discussion going about positive and negative influences from the media. And this one advanced class (with white, mostly affluent kids), gets on this tangent about how fake news is negative. I try to summarize that as "sure, media can misinform" to try to gloss over it, but they get on an excited tear about how the media ruined the "finger-circle" game that kids play by saying it's a white power gesture and it also came out that media makes them feel negative about themselves because they can't have "white pride" in themselves because it categorized as racist. I know that they are likely future Republicans because their parents are, but damn, they are on their way to becoming racist Republicans. To be clear, I don't think any of them are racist at this point, but I feel like I glimpsed the seeds being there and will sprout like a weed if not taken care of.

My plan is to address some of that in class today, but that second part kinda touches on something that always bothered me. That's the opening that white supremacist use to recruit. The "you're not a bad person, but they call all white people bad so get revenge on them by being proudly white". I understand and endorse that the goal has never been to disparage ordinary whites, but rather to celebrate and recognize groups that have been traditionally oppressed. But the message gets misinterpreted. White people feel singled out as not being worthy of being celebrated. And yes, I know that in a global historical view, that's ridiculous. But they don't have that global, historical view. And if racism gets to them first, they will never get that view.

Now, I know there's a general "who cares about wypipo fee-fees" vibe that sometimes hits this discussion. But that's a root cause that can't be ignored or mocked. Resentment will turn into racism and racism will never age out.

Sorry, just free-form ranting.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20284  (isolation #1214)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 am

In post 20282, talah wrote:But how does a white supremacist in the US reconcile WWII where the whole point was defeating nazi Germany? Is that a mistake to them, or something?

Probably something stupid like "Jew bankers control the American government". Don't look for deep thought it that crowd. It's just tenuous surface connections made for the sake of justification.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20286  (isolation #1215)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:39 am

In post 20285, Fluminator wrote:Tell them white pride is stupid because you should only be proud of what you do, not what people who happen to have the same pigments as you do.

And the counter-argument is that "people can have black/Asian/Hispanic/whatever pride without accomplishing anything, so why can't whites?"

Keep in mind, these are 13-year-old kids that also enjoy trying to break out into a "build the wall" chant. Sloganeering is fun at that level.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20288  (isolation #1216)  » Wed May 15, 2019 12:23 pm

In post 20287, Zulfy wrote:
In post 20286, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 20285, Fluminator wrote:Tell them white pride is stupid because you should only be proud of what you do, not what people who happen to have the same pigments as you do.

And the counter-argument is that "people can have black/Asian/Hispanic/whatever pride without accomplishing anything, so why can't whites?"

Keep in mind, these are 13-year-old kids that also enjoy trying to break out into a "build the wall" chant. Sloganeering is fun at that level.

The counter to this is too convoluted because the US is a racial dystopia.

Yeah, agreed. I know they've learnt about slavery and Jim Crow at this point, but they need to be at high school level before they can really piece together coherent realizations. But by then they are teenagers who are trying to figure themselves out and (some) stubbornly don't want to be told what/how to think.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20347  (isolation #1217)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 pm

In post 20295, Irrelephant11 wrote:A helpful response I've found to "how come everyone can have racial pride but us?" is "Racial pride is the Bad Thing(tm), because it celebrates who you're not. Cultural pride, on the other hand, is a good thing, because it celebrates the story of your ancestors and the cultural artifacts (traditions, holidays, etc) that have been passed down to you. Be proud of your Irish heritage, your family tree connections to early American settlers, your favorite Polish dish that your mom knows how to make because her immigrant grandma taught her, etc. - those things are okay and good! It's only a bad thing to celebrate "Being White", because Whiteness has only ever existed as a way of saying "not dark, dirty, bad, or black".

This is well-put.

In post 20297, Garmr wrote:Also people that feel that those two things are wrong aren't racist (The circle game isn't racist and it's ok to be white.) and labelling them as such will disconnect you from your students, since your view on what racism is so broad (and arguably wrong in various circumstances) it devalues the word racist to a moderate person. Glad to see you have smart kids in your class through, gives me hope with the next generation.

Funny thing is. I don't really disagree with you. Removed entirely from context, the circle game and being white isn't wrong. But the reason I don't feel comfortable cheering my skin color is that other white people have done horrible things while championing their skin color. And that New Zealand guy shot up two mosques and proudly flashed that circle symbol. Liberals didn't ruin those things by calling them racist. Racists ruined those things by associating themselves with them and then being horrible racist.

It's the same old "you're the real racist for pointing out my racism" angle.

In post 20304, chamber wrote:In the same way black lives matters wasn't saying "only black lives matter" but instead "black lives matter too". It was an important movement because black lives were undervalued. Black pride or Gay pride doesn't exist to say they are superior to alternatives. But as push back against cultural norms that devalue being black or being gay. White pride both has a strong history of claiming superiority outright, as well as not having that same context of a thing to push back against.

Well said as well.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20352  (isolation #1218)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 pm

In post 20338, Psyche wrote:oh my god you're so dumbbb

I swear this is a tactic as well. Whenever confronted with evidence that they are being racist, all of a sudden they become as dumb as possible and try to get you to explain it.

it's the same thing middle school idiots do. All those internet trolls on reddit and 4chan are just emotionally and intellectually stunted middle school assholes.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20355  (isolation #1219)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:09 pm

In post 20353, Garmr wrote:
In post 20352, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 20338, Psyche wrote:oh my god you're so dumbbb

I swear this is a tactic as well. Whenever confronted with evidence that they are being racist, all of a sudden they become as dumb as possible and try to get you to explain it.

it's the same thing middle school idiots do. All those internet trolls on reddit and 4chan are just emotionally and intellectually stunted middle school assholes.

I think it's the same with you guys you can't even see the most basic shit. Glad kids are smarter these days.

Naw, we can see it. Shaft.ed nailed it a while back.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20357  (isolation #1220)  » Wed May 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Nazis hate being exposed. So all you do is attack the media and liberals.

Now you're just in the endgame of seeing how many posts and pages you can stir up by acting like a fool.

It's the same old thing. You haven't grown or changed in all this time, Garmr.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20378  (isolation #1221)  » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 pm

In post 20373, Garmr wrote:How does anyone here not understand this.

So basically it's "hurr durr I was only pretending to be stupid.... why do they keep calling me stupid?" You became what you pretended to be.

You can gather with your othe cave trolls and brag how smart you think you are, but the rest of the world thinks you're idiots and racists. You played yourselves really badly.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20396  (isolation #1222)  » Wed May 15, 2019 11:10 pm

In post 20395, Porkens wrote:Are you a white nationalist?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20405  (isolation #1223)  » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

In post 20402, u r a person 2 wrote:It's also disingenuous to say the KKK was started by the left. It was started by Democrats, yes. But the southern strategy realigned the parties in such a way that southern, KKK-supporting Democrats became today's Republicans.

Do you honestly believe that there are Democrats in the KKK today?

Give me a break, dude.

That seems to be a major issue in Republicans and right-wingers. The "whattaboutism". Anything they get accuse of, they have a list of examples of "the other side" doing it too.

"I'm racist? Well, whattabout <examples>?"

It's a tactic to put the other side on the defensive or at least derail the conversation to something else.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20412  (isolation #1224)  » Thu May 16, 2019 11:27 am

In post 20406, Fluminator wrote:What about the "whattaboutism" democrats do too?

I C what U did there..

But yeah, if I'm honest it happens on both sides and it's one of the biggest problems with talking politics. Many times people either can't stay on a particular topic because agreeing on a topic is viewed as ceding ground and therefore losing.

person conceded that BDS is something he disagrees with. If Garmr doesn't also try to concede something and find common ground then it proves he isn't arguing in good faith.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20418  (isolation #1225)  » Thu May 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm sure I know the answer already, but is there any independent evidence from Trump's claim that "the Chinese were cheating us for years with bad trade deals"?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20424  (isolation #1226)  » Thu May 16, 2019 9:17 pm

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... -released/

Trump borrowed millions of dollars in 2018. Presidents shouldn't be borrowing money.

For all the shit Republicans threw at Clinton about being in the pocket of Wall Street, Trump is so deep in Big Bank's pockets, he's actually going to them, hat in hand, and borrowing millions.

Fucking hell.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20435  (isolation #1227)  » Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am

In post 20433, Fluminator wrote:The media was definitely anti-trump, but I guess that doesn't mean much with regards to conservative because there are loads of conservatives against Trump.

That's not really a fair assessment. If coverage of Trump is negative because a report was released detailing that he had many subordinates try to meet with a foreign government to try to undermine a US election, that's not negative bias. That's reporting. Right-wingers keep referring to that as "anti-Trump fake news" because they want to believe that Trump is incapable of anything negative. That's just fantasy.

Now if the media ran news reports about Trump's inability to have a tie at proper length makes him (and the US) look buffoonish, then that's more of an anti-Trump hit piece.

Take a moment to consider that the "left-wing" media spent 8 years keeping sporadic reports of Obama birth speculation alive and in the public consciousness. Hell, Trump himself personally lied about what his "investigators in Hawaii" were finding out. Trump knows exactly what he's doing by getting chumps to question the media's bias. You're a chump too, Flum. Or a mark, as carnies would say.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20437  (isolation #1228)  » Fri May 17, 2019 10:36 am

In post 20429, T-Bone wrote:
In post 20292, Psyche wrote:a few basic fallacies make progressive identity politics wrong on the issues their adherents are the most obnoxious about, even if the overall idea is basically right
i didnt see it before because i just liked having allies but it's true

Progressive identity politics is objectively right, but people apply it so horribly that it generally turns off otherwise decent people.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at before Garmr hi-jacked the conversation. I understand that it's empowering and important to break down systematic racism by announcing that we don't need to care about "wypipo fee-fees" all the time. But white supremacist groups are seizing on that message to boost their membership. They want the frame the issue as "non-whites vs whites". They want the youth to feel like they are casualties retaliating in a race war started by progressives.

If we want racism to actually age out and for groups like the KKK's membership to dwindle, we have to work on messaging. And care about white people's feelings as much as anyone else's feelings.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20440  (isolation #1229)  » Fri May 17, 2019 10:57 am

In post 20439, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 20437, Kublai Khan wrote:Yeah, that's what I was getting at before Garmr hi-jacked the conversation. I understand that it's empowering and important to break down systematic racism by announcing that we don't need to care about "wypipo fee-fees" all the time. But white supremacist groups are seizing on that message to boost their membership. They want the frame the issue as "non-whites vs whites". They want the youth to feel like they are casualties retaliating in a race war started by progressives.

If we want racism to actually age out and for groups like the KKK's membership to dwindle, we have to work on messaging. And care about white people's feelings as much as anyone else's feelings.

I think this is a false narrative because I'm not sure it would matter what the messaging on the left is. Even if people were just saying, "uh, may we please have a single seat at the table full of white men," the right would scream, "You want to take a seat away from a white guy because he's a white guy?!? That's reverse racism!"

I don't know what to do about it, though.

Well, yeah. That's exactly what happens when people complain about Affirmative Action. It's usually framed as "undeserving minorities get hired over competent white people". I've found it's effective to re-frame it because the actual reasons for Affirmative Action. That is "unqualified white people are constantly hired over qualified minorities, and affirmative action helps correct that".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20446  (isolation #1230)  » Fri May 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Holy fucking shit.. https://www.aafnation.com/ :lol: {scroll until you see Trump Neverending Story}

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20451  (isolation #1231)  » Sat May 18, 2019 11:34 am

In post 20450, Fluminator wrote:The Bill Clinton shirt confuses me. I thought they hated him.

There's a Bill Clinton shirt but not an Obama one. Put 2 and 2 together.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20455  (isolation #1232)  » Sat May 18, 2019 6:55 pm

In post 20453, u r a person 2 wrote:When I first heard the term SJW I thought it was a compliment~

Still do, really

Me too, actually. I was really confused that someone was trying to mock me for fighting for social justice.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20483  (isolation #1233)  » Wed May 22, 2019 6:49 pm

I haven't really parsed and digested any news from today but it seems like stuff happened.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20484  (isolation #1234)  » Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Trump had a "Mission Accomplished" moment?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20487  (isolation #1235)  » Wed May 22, 2019 7:03 pm

In post 20486, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 20484, Kublai Khan wrote:Trump had a "Mission Accomplished" moment?

nah
temper tantrum about infrastructure week and two failed court rulings

I heard he festooned his podium with No Collusion signs.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20524  (isolation #1236)  » Fri May 24, 2019 12:08 pm

In post 20523, Papa Zito wrote:Just catapult trebuchet all the nuclear waste into the Sun.

Can't. Rocket might explode while in the atmosphere and make half the planet radioactive.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20540  (isolation #1237)  » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:53 am

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20541  (isolation #1238)  » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Also:

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20543  (isolation #1239)  » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Ha! I was about to post that too. That's insane.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20544  (isolation #1240)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Uh.. Fucking wow. Trump just admits he has no morals and no patriotism.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20554  (isolation #1241)  » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 am

.... :(

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20761  (isolation #1242)  » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20767  (isolation #1243)  » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 am

Yeah, President fuck-up went and fucked up again.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20772  (isolation #1244)  » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:39 am

In post 20770, Psyche wrote:if you've ever entertained the question of how trump made it into wharton:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... nce-school

Wait... Trump lied??

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20774  (isolation #1245)  » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:41 am

In post 20773, Inferno390 wrote:
In post 20772, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 20770, Psyche wrote:if you've ever entertained the question of how trump made it into wharton:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... nce-school

Wait... Trump lied??

Shocking I know

Well, now I'm really on the fence about voting for him.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20775  (isolation #1246)  » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.
Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.
For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.
So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump's limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.
I don't say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.
But with Trump, it's a fact. He doesn't even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.
And scarily, he doesn't just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.
There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It's all surface.
Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.
Well, we don't. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.
And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.
Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.
He's not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat.
He's more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.
And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.
That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.
There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.
So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy' is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.
This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.
After all, it's impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shiat. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.
God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.
He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.
In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.
And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:
'My God... what... have... I... created?
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20785  (isolation #1247)  » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Heh. Albert "Trump cultist" Rampage got triggered. I thought you were gonna stay in the politics thread and explain how Trump's policies and positions were good?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #20788  (isolation #1248)  » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Technically only the best "acting" people. Because there's no reason to bother Congress with approving Cabinet members. Just have them all "acting".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21017  (isolation #1249)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:34 pm

In post 20822, Persivul wrote:Funny thing is that Trump will win again because you guys can't admit that he knows what he's doing, and so won't develop effective counters.

Isn't Trump's legal defense that he didn't know what was going on when most of his campaign staff was committed finance violations?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21029  (isolation #1250)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Uggghgh.. Are people actually engaging Creature in serious conversation about politics?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21054  (isolation #1251)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:35 pm

In post 21035, chennisden wrote:when's the last time you've been in a math classroom?

I mean, I teach science right next to a math classroom. Your "optional math" idea is bonkers bad.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21066  (isolation #1252)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:42 pm

In post 21060, chennisden wrote:
In post 21054, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 21035, chennisden wrote:when's the last time you've been in a math classroom?

I mean, I teach science right next to a math classroom. Your "optional math" idea is bonkers bad.

I don't think the average American citizen uses math or is competent at it.

Plenty of embarrassing videos of your average person not knowing it.

Wait, your arguement against mandatory math classes is "look at how many people don't know math"?

Even ignoring the practical applications of math (i.e. science, basic household finances and taxes, cooking, building, etc..), math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21080  (isolation #1253)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 pm

In post 21076, chennisden wrote:but when teachers CONSISTENTLY MAKE IT THEIR JOB TO MAKE ME MISERABLE IN MATH CLASS

Ah. Your data set consists of "my personal feelings". Look, I'm open to the idea of reforming the education system. There are a tremendous amount of problems and unique solutions are required. But the first step to solving a problem is to understand the problem. It sounds like you just graduated, so congrats, but you still have a shit-ton to learn about the world.

This relates to Trump because he also proposes simplistic solutions that sound like they solve problems. But when you actually properly took at solving a problem by addressing it's root causes, most of the time quick 1-step bandage solutions don't work.

This is the problem with populism. "No math classes" and "Build a wall" are catchy slogans, but there are a shit-ton of downsides that get ignored until it's too late.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21085  (isolation #1254)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 pm

In post 21084, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21066, Kublai Khan wrote:math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving

Hard disagree, and this excess trust in math is how you get Ben Shaprio styled rhetoric

Huh. Would you mind explaining?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21093  (isolation #1255)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Again, if you're just out of school, you don't really have the experience to state what was useful and what wasn't.

A lot of stuff you learned in school isn't going to be used in your life, but nobody has any idea what your life is going to be. And the education you're been provided with in K-12 is the fundamentals of whatever you choose to educate yourself from now on.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21095  (isolation #1256)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:39 pm

In post 21094, chennisden wrote:wait, quick question

what do you think my feelings towards the subject of math itself are

You're writing a geometry textbook.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21098  (isolation #1257)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:48 pm

In post 21096, chennisden wrote:hmm, okay, that answers a couple of questions i had.

i dunno

yeah, i was wrong and being an ass

but i think the underlying problem is that society pretends math is more useful than it is

Again though.. it's basic problem solving. If you understand the basic logical premises of math, you are better equipped to deal with life problems. I loved math classes because I viewed math as a game. I learn the rules, then I can manipulate and change the equation using logical steps to get different format. Physics is applied mathematical concepts. Science is applied mathematical ideas.

How much philosophy have you read?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21103  (isolation #1258)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 pm

In post 21097, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21085, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 21084, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21066, Kublai Khan wrote:math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving

Hard disagree, and this excess trust in math is how you get Ben Shaprio styled rhetoric

Huh. Would you mind explaining?

There's two common ways to define logic, a mathematical sense, and a literary sense. The mathematical sense requires baseless assumptions to do anything, and the literary sense usually ends up in some circular or unknown definition (a logical argument is a reasonable one. What is reasonable?). It also allows for a *lot* more subjectivity in chaining arguments together. Things can get even messier if you look at how most math textbooks define a proof; it's usually just a "reasonable" argument.

I'm handwaving a *lot* of stuff here but the basic idea still holds.

Even simpler: if math held an applicable objective truth, Philosophers would have no need to debate so much epistimology. They would just be able to point to math as a trivial solution to their questions.

Ultimately, math is a tool, and it's subjective as to when to use it in a way that is never really taught until *late* into a college education, if ever. Because people treat math like an objective truth without knowing how to apply it, you get stuff like "owning the liberals with logic and reason," and it's really hard to explain in a sound byte why that's full of crap.

I think you're hand-waving too much as I don't think I get your point.

I mean, something like the Earth being a sphere (yes, oblate spheroid) is an example of a objective truth thanks to math. That was first calculated almost 2000 years ago. Lack of understanding of math and believing that the senses provide a greater truth than math gives us the modern "flat-Earth" movement.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21105  (isolation #1259)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:04 pm

In post 21100, chennisden wrote:as to philosophy: plato aristotle etc

Ah, this is your next step then. I think this really helps to understand the mathematical path you've taken and where to go from here. You've learned the hard theory, but you've now got to learn the theories and way of thinking.

If you're heading into college/university, make sure to take some classes. Read some Descartes and Liebnitz. Maybe some Bertrand Russell.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21106  (isolation #1260)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 pm

In post 21104, chennisden wrote:i don't think philosophy/math are really interconnected all that much, flubber? someone who knows more philosophy might have a better picture.

edit: math is objective. when to use it is subjective, sure, but math is objective.

Try reading through the Wikipedia article. It's as good a place as any to start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_mathematics

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21116  (isolation #1261)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:43 pm

In post 21115, chennisden wrote:also, modern math philosophy tends to focus on the philosophy of teaching math

Wasn't that the genesis of your rant?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21151  (isolation #1262)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am

In post 21141, chennisden wrote:5 paragraph on literature is incredibly arbitrary not basic

I dunno, if you let people write about stuff they want to write about (give them some choice) I think everyone'd be better off?

There are creative writing classes.

But if you want to effective communicate and idea and if you want to properly evaluate a persuasive argument, you should be familiar with a basic essay structure and know the minimum requirements.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21157  (isolation #1263)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:35 am

In post 21155, kuribo wrote:I'll give you the point that most essay prompts are uninspired and lacking. More than one teacher with a bored expression on his or her weary face has instructed students to write essays like "What I did Last Summer." These tepid prompts are also guilty of turning the young away from the written word. But to suggest that essay-writing in general is something one shouldn't bother teaching, you're kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater on that.

Well, that's not really a prompt for a 5 paragraph essay, that's more of a prompt for just writing for writing's sake. Which is good to practice hand-writing, vocabulary, grammar, and even just stamina.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21180  (isolation #1264)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:44 pm

Not me. I'm cool. :cool:

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21185  (isolation #1265)  » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:12 am

In post 21184, Fluminator wrote:
In post 21182, AniX wrote:
In post 20944, Persivul wrote:I think part of the problem here is generational. I was born shortly after the I Have a Dream speech, in which the goal was a society in which race wasn't even considered. Today's left rather wants to view everything through the lens of race (and gender, sexual orientation, etc.).

That is still the goal of society. The problem is that society has not reached that point or is even remotely close. Suppose someone's goal is to be so rich they no longer need to worry about money. Would you tell that person to stop caring about money NOW? Or would you tell them "That is a good goal but money concerns don't go away just because you think they should". That's what the left is doing: Recognizing that racism is still very much present and must be dealt with.

Sometimes i feel the left being hyper focused on race and gender sometimes backfires though and just heightens tensions. Everytime you divide people in categories, it will separate them from the other group slightly.
And a lot of cases of systemic bias is more a capitalism problem than a racism problem, isn't it?
And one of the biggest factor to privelege is if you're raised in a stable home with 2 parents, something that isn't decided by race.

Black people make up 12% of the US population, but 34% of the incarcerated population. Black people are 5 times more likely to be sent to jail than whites. Black people are also about twice as likely to die before the age of 20 than white people.

These statistics have nothing to do with capitalism and they waive a giant red flag that the justice system (police & courts) has a bias against people with darker skin.

Police officers, lawyers, and judges are deciding how stable black homes are and if that's the biggest factor to privilege, then systematic racism is definitely been hurting black people.

Black people have been trying to let people know about this for a while.

In fact, Colin Kaepernick... A first-class football player, staged a minor protest by taking a knee during the anthem to draw attention to this problem. He was decried as unpatriotic and America-hating, he was personally insulted by the President and the majority of conservative politicians and spokespeople, then he got fired and black-balled by the football league.

I think there just may be some systematic racism going on in government. But I'm just a leftie, all "hyper-focused on race" and shit.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21207  (isolation #1266)  » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:05 am

In post 21192, Persivul wrote:Good news - racism has declined since the election of Trump:
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3378076
We find that via most measures, white Americans' expressed anti-Black and anti-Hispanic prejudice declined after the 2016 campaign and election, and we can rule out even small increases in the expression of prejudice.

Hmm..

We subset our data to 537 non-Hispanic white respondents who participated in both the October 2016 and October/November 2018 waves.

537 people feels like a pretty small sample size to draw nationwide conclusion about the decline of racism.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21243  (isolation #1267)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:52 am

In post 21242, Persivul wrote:Mueller testifies, and not a single post in the Trump thread... wonder why... :lol:

Yeah, obviously there's a super giant mega conspiracy where the Deep State and the RINOs and the Democrats, and the media, and the courts are allllll--l-l-l-l-l- in it to bring down Honest Trump and those innocent Russkies and we destroy America with socialism and force every McMansion to host a family of illegals from one of the Mexican countries.

You got us, Percy. We didn't keep up the facade, so we're exposed.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21258  (isolation #1268)  » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:32 am

Best I can understand that weirdness is noting just how much they are whipped into a frenzy of hating democrats. Even their most mainstream news (FoxNews) are openly biased against Democrats (ex. "Democrats want open borders") or their commentary is openly hostile (Judge Pirro: "DEMON-RATS"). We have a old family friend who is Republican who we try not to discuss politics with because at one point she shook with rage when discussing Michelle Obama. Nevermind the fringe deplorable Americans who 100% believed that Hillary Clinton and others were running a child-prostitution ring out of a non-existent basement. They think that Hillary laughed about denying justice to rapists and that she is openly disdainful about soldiers dying at Benghazi. I challenge you to come up with a negative story about Democrats that Republicans won't unhesitatingly accept as reality.

I used to never really understand the part in 1984 where they had the two minute hate, but I guess it's legit. For Republicans any news about Trump is triumphant and good and is a relief from the hate they have to constantly direct towards Democrats. They get confused and angry at non-biased news because of their negative reporting on Trump, even if they are just literally quoting Trump.

So any 'sin' that Trump does is dismissed as "fake news" or minimized. Because it's not as bad as the hate they have for Democrats.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21264  (isolation #1269)  » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah, the guy's a slimeball personally, but he's doing a great job as president. I can recognize the good that a person despite the evil that they do. Otherwise, I'd never have anything good to say about anyone, myself included.

What do you consider the job of President to be?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21296  (isolation #1270)  » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:09 pm

In post 21271, Persivul wrote:Booming economy. Extremely low unemployment. Big losses in territory for ISIS. Standing up to China on trade. Talks with North Korea. Corporate tax cuts putting us on par with the rest of the world. Big boost to business optimism.

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-and-jobs-4114173

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21297  (isolation #1271)  » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:41 pm

In post 21271, Persivul wrote:Talks with North Korea.

Also, tired of seeing this as an "accomplishment".

Every US president since Clinton has tried talking to North Korea. And everytime, North Korea pulls the same shit. They are initially very welcoming, they hold opening talks with promises of more talks later. They get the US to lift sanctions as a sign of 'good faith'. Then they start throwing little hissy fits over minor things and talks break down. Then they resume weapon testing and break any promises they've made. Then sanctions get re-instated.

It's been the same cycle since Clinton. Trump is currently at "resume weapon testing" because NK just tested another missile.

Anyone who thinks Trump "made progress with NK" is someone that has never really paid attention to NK before.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21311  (isolation #1272)  » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Man, I watched a recent-ish episode of Drunk History where they talked about Martha Mitchell and the key role she played in uncovering the Watergate story. At one point they mention that a guy called Steve King physically kept her captive in a hotel room to attempt to keep her quiet.

I had a moment of "ugh, that's not Congressman Steve King, is it?". And checked, and no, it's not.

However, I did learn that the Steve King of the story is currently the US ambassador to the Czech Republic appointed by Trump. Because of course a loyal Nixon crony gets his long-due reward. I'm sure someone like Persivul will eventually come along and praise Trump for "draining the swamp".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21313  (isolation #1273)  » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:19 pm

In post 21312, Psyche wrote:guys did you hear that racist nixon/reagan recording

I was distracted by #LeningradLindsey

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21318  (isolation #1274)  » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

In post 21317, shaft.ed wrote:but Psyche
we're all racist
so *shrugmoji*

Well, that's true. We all grew up on movies, tv shows, and books that perpetuated racist stereotypes and reinforced racist attitudes (both overtly and subconciously).

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21319  (isolation #1275)  » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:14 pm

"Chariman Kim has a great and beautiful vision for his country, and only the United States, with me as President, can make that vision come true. He will do the right thing because he is far too smart not to, and he does not want to disappoint his friend, President Trump!" - Donald Trump (2019)

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21321  (isolation #1276)  » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm

I wonder if Trump is manipulating the market using his tariffs on the Chinese for personal gain.

Too bad there's no way to know. Because Republicans don't give a shit about corruption.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21329  (isolation #1277)  » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:34 am

In post 21328, Persivul wrote:
In post 21323, theplague42 wrote:Imagine thinking that "our guy is the only one not being transparent, so this transparency law is a political attack" is a good defense.

Pretty sure it's unnecessary, as I doubt it's legal for a state to add to the requirements for a national office, but: as an addition, yeah, it's a pretty good defense.

Demanding transparency is a political attack now? Man, you are going to hate this Trump guy and the Republican party.

During the Obama president Trump constantly attacked Obama on his lack of transparency because he would release his college applications, college transcripts, passport application, birth certicificate, LONGFORM birth certificate. Shit, Republicans were 100% about transparency and didn't think it was a political attack, they just wanted to know who the president was. Just for comfort and reassurance.

But now we have a president with world-wide business interests and real estate holdings that he never divested himself from (putting your kids in charge is not a blind trust). Plus he doesn't release his tax records and he is openly and publicly meddling with business dealings with the US and other countries, including tariffs, sanctions (both addition and removal), and currency manipulation. He knows his words/tweets have impact on stock prices. What reassurance do we have that he isn't short-selling the United States for personal profit?

Are you still enough of a fool to take him at his word?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21363  (isolation #1278)  » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm

We'd have a whole less mass shootings if we had more socialism.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21370  (isolation #1279)  » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 am

I read an article a million years back about how Steve Bannon was a forum-goer and at the center of the gamergate stuff. It was likely where he picked up and tapped into that unhappy white male demographic that he helped steer towards Trump. Trump blaming video games seems like such a clear sign that Trump doesn't really know his base as well as he thinks. Video games are the old standard boogeyman of the old guard Republicans.

The gamergate crowd is just the latest Trump-supporting subgroup to realize that they were just being used.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21599  (isolation #1280)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:07 pm

In post 21575, Panzerjager wrote:There's a whole lot of wrong with his point.

1. When's the last time a militia of private citizens overthrew a government without military help(foreign or otherwise)? Is it never?

2. Most times, if there is a coup, it's by a military. This is common in the history of many African countries(and I'm sure elsewhere), where the military overthrows the government and then turns over power to a citizen run government. Recent successful examples of this include Burkina Faso, Ghana, and Zimbabwe. (I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong or I'll update it when our resident Africa expert dms me later)

3. Without getting into a debate of what-ifs, a guerrilla warfare situation with the most sophisticated military on the planet seems...unteneable.

4. I wouldn't classify private gun owners as a well organized or well regulated militia and the National Guard is literally run by the military.

5. Also, yes...jumping immedately to physical force is weird.

You're missing one of the big ones. Percivul's argument also depends on all 100 million Americans being united against the 1 million soldiers. When in reality it would be every person or group for themselves and break down further into chaos and violence.

Americans just want to be dictators of small parcels of land.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21604  (isolation #1281)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 pm

In post 21543, shaft.ed wrote:and for the thousandth time, babies by definition cannot be aborted

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21608  (isolation #1282)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:02 pm

In post 21607, Skygazer wrote:i think it shouldnt be legal for cops to shoot innocent people like it currently seems to be

No, they investigated themselves and found themselves innocent. So it's fine. We should be happy with that.

I'm sure investigations into police complaints will be handled as rigorously. They'll find the sunavabitch who dared to complain and they will make sure that complaint is no more.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21647  (isolation #1283)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm

In post 21645, AniX wrote:
In post 21560, Persivul wrote:
In post 21387, Panzerjager wrote:Healthcare + no guns, sign me up

If you guys really thought that Trump was a fascist dictator who intends to remain in power after 2024, you wouldn't want to take guns away.

Even supposing this was a true belief on the left, you can believe someone INTENDS to do something without the capacity or follow-through to actually do it and therefore it is not a contradiction to believe he WANTS to be a dictator without believing we need to allow guns to prevent his dictatorship because said dictatorship is unlikely to occur.

Plus surely all the existing gun owners would be furious at someone being clearly un-American, right?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21655  (isolation #1284)  » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:05 pm

It sounds suspiciously like the libertarian argument for getting rid of the EPA.

"There shouldn't be regulations because companies won't pollute because if they ruin someone's drinking water or air then they could be sued. Let's let the courts solve the problem."

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21677  (isolation #1285)  » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:45 pm

In post 21666, Persivul wrote:
Previously, it was well understood that, regardless of the circumstances, physical resistance is unacceptable because it necessarily leads to a spiral of escalating violence that endangers the safety of the officer, the suspect, and all in the vicinity. For that reason, virtually all jurisdictions have made resistance a serious crime.

I don't see this as an extreme statement, and it's the root of the comments you guys posted.

Can you square Barr's recommendations of compliance with situations like the Eric Garner incident in New York?

Did you know there is a history of minorities being harassed and terrorized by police that we are only recently getting documentation of because of cell phones being widely available? Did you know that for decades if minorities complained against police the most likely course of events is that harassment would escalate? Lives have been ruined because racist cops have used their authority as a weapon. Then they've been backed up by a organization that favors their word over a complainant's word.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21685  (isolation #1286)  » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 pm

In post 21682, Persivul wrote:
In post 21677, Kublai Khan wrote:Can you square Barr's recommendations of compliance with situations like the Eric Garner incident in New York?

Yes, that's pretty obvious. If Garner had complied first and complained later, he'd probably be alive today.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/16/ag-barr-m ... -official/

No charges at all and the cop was never punished. Complaining afterwards didn't seem to help get justice.

In post 21682, Persivul wrote:
Did you know there is a history of minorities being harassed and terrorized by police that we are only recently getting documentation of because of cell phones being widely available? Did you know that for decades if minorities complained against police the most likely course of events is that harassment would escalate? Lives have been ruined because racist cops have used their authority as a weapon. Then they've been backed up by a organization that favors their word over a complainant's word.

In the Garner case, it was a grand jury, not an internal police board. Some jurisdictions have citizen review boards. Some jursidictions are using body cameras so that there's objective evidence of encounters. These are all good ideas. Physically resisting cops isn't a good idea.

"Some". That's not reassuring.

Look, I do agree with you that compliance is the best option when dealing with police. But the issue is that the police (as a whole) have a spotty record when it comes to taking citizen complaints seriously and for justice and redress to happen. I'd feel a lot better about Barr if he recognized that there needs to be an independent oversight of complaints about police misbehavior. Instead it sounds like he's tone deaf about the situation.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21686  (isolation #1287)  » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:53 pm

“When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over?” Trump said, miming the physical motion of an officer shielding a suspect’s head to keep it from bumping against the squad car.

“Like, don’t hit their head, and they just killed somebody — don’t hit their head,” Trump continued. “I said, you can take the hand away, okay?”

And complain later. If warranted.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21705  (isolation #1288)  » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:19 am

In post 21695, Persivul wrote:
In post 21685, Kublai Khan wrote:No charges at all and the cop was never punished. Complaining afterwards didn't seem to help get justice.

Or justice was served and you just refuse to believe it. A grand jury, with more information than you, decided there wasn't evidence to indict.

The point you keep ducking is that the same people whom you think should just comply and trust the system are very much the same people who have been treated unfairly by the system at every turn. You've ignored this concern so far, kinda like how complaints against police abuse get ignored.

And now you want to argue that the courts are infallible and have never shown bias in conviction and sentencing? Are you sure you want to go down that road?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21765  (isolation #1289)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm

I support repealing the second amendment.

It's horribly written.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21808  (isolation #1290)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:13 pm

Trump called Jews who vote Democrat "disloyal".

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-je ... 67ed69c755

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21827  (isolation #1291)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:21 pm

In post 21822, Fluminator wrote:
In post 21820, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21815, Fluminator wrote:
In post 21808, Kublai Khan wrote:Trump called Jews who vote Democrat "disloyal".

More fully, he said "I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty.” which is a little different.

Nah

I viewed it as one is essentially calling them a race/ethnicity traitor.
Now he's essentially calling them dumb.

Bad thing to say either way.

I mean, it sounds like he's implying that all jews should automatically feel indebted to him. And if they don't it's because they are stupid or traitors. It's a really fucked up statement. And there's a lot of speculation as to if it's a bullhorn dogwhistle.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21828  (isolation #1292)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:22 pm

In post 21826, Psyche wrote:
In post 21815, Fluminator wrote:
In post 21808, Kublai Khan wrote:Trump called Jews who vote Democrat "disloyal".

More fully, he said "I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty.” which is a little different.

disloyalty to what, though

I'm guessing the US or Israel.

It seems right that Trump thinks that all Jews should automatically be loyal to Israel.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21883  (isolation #1293)  » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

In post 21881, shaft.ed wrote:phew, looks like that question was answered at least
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trum ... yal-israel
Trump asserted on Wednesday that American Jews who vote for Democrats are “being very disloyal to Jewish people” and “to Israel.”

There seems to be an inherent implication that American Jews have a split loyalty between the US and Israel.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21888  (isolation #1294)  » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:27 pm

In post 21887, theplague42 wrote:So can we talk about Trump's recent religious aspirations? He basically just committed heresy on live TV.

I'm still kinda processing that. I can't wait to see the spin.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21907  (isolation #1295)  » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm

In post 21906, GreyICE wrote:Fun stuff, the Federal Election Commission is now partially shut down: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... shut-down/

It looks like there will be minimal oversight of this presidential election. Which, as far as I know is unprecedented. As we know, Bush previously rebuffed efforts from the UN to monitor the election, but at this point our best hope might be UN election observers that are normally deployed to third world countries.

This is fucking terrifying.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21927  (isolation #1296)  » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:04 pm

In post 21914, Fluminator wrote:I'm so confused what shafted is trying to accomplish every time he posts that?
The emails were bad.
And so are craploads of other things American politicians do.

shaft.ed is rightly pointing out that the so-called "liberal fake news mainstream MSM drive-by liberal anti-Trump" media spent an enormous amount of time and energy talking about Hillary's e-mails in an effort to make her "scandal" seem equal to Trump's just general horribleness. Because a horse race of an election sells news. They shit on the Democratic candidate and gave free airtime to the Republican one. Because they felt that in order to force the appearance of objectivity, they must highlight the faults of both characters equally. Since Hillary only had the one thing, they blew that one thing out of ridiculous proportion and devote weeks of coverage to it.

because the Clinton e-mail thing was in the news for so long in such detail, people genuinely voted against her based on that. Meanwhile Trump bragged about paying off a Florida DA during the campaign and that barely got any press, much less any outrage. (https://www.politifact.com/florida/arti ... -pay-play/)

Is this problem resolved for the next election? Or is the "liberal" media going to exaggerate the Democratic candidate's faults and downplay Trump's faults to make it seem like both sides are equal again? Probably fucking yes. And that's not good.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21941  (isolation #1297)  » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 pm

In post 21940, shaft.ed wrote:^5

shame no one wall posts anymore

Let me introduce you to this game called "mafia".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #21958  (isolation #1298)  » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 pm

it's actually a federal crime to falsify government hurricane maps.

But it's okay. presidents can get away with breaking the law as long as they are republican and are protected by a republican senate.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23317  (isolation #1299)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:25 am

In post 23315, Persivul wrote:TDS in full bloom in the MSM with the dog meme. What a fucking joke.

I typed in "Trump Dog Meme" into Google news and I see the following news sites have published stories about it:

USA Today
Vanity Fair
Townhall
Indy100
Syracuse.com
Ricochet.com
Laredo Morning Times
The Sun
Brisbane Times

All of them are basically lazy reporting that there was a brief trend on twitter about Trump's dog meme tweet.

That's.. hardly the mainstream media or derangement. Though I did note that the Townhall article was titled "Journalists Lose Their Minds After Trump Tweets a Meme About the Heroic Dog from ISIS Raid", which I assume must be the one thing you read before you made your post and their article is basically that a few journalists tweeted that it's fake in the midst of everyone on Twitter roasting Trump for such a dumb picture.

Of the people they quote: Anushay Hossain (political analyst and columnist), Justin Baragona (a contributor to Daily Beast), Aditya Raj Kaul (an Indian journalist from an Indian news channel), Valerie Schremp Hahn (a St. Louis features reporter), S.V. Dáte (A HuffPo correspondent), Steve Herman (VOA Journalist)

Four of them are basically nobodies, only the last two are of note and Date comes off as openly damning the President while Herman is acknowledge that he received inquiries so he's reporting that no dogs were at the White House (comes off as very tongue-in-cheek)

So, one notable journalist blasts the President on Twitter and Townhall searches through their Twitter rolodex and finds anybody mentioning it so they can write an article about it. You read it and spread the news that "the MSM has full-bloom TDS!"

Persivul.. This is part of the problem. Look over the evidence. Double check my work. Is the Townhall article accurate? Or are you being jerked around by a short-chain?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23318  (isolation #1300)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:26 am

In post 23316, Not_Mafia wrote:What's TDS?

"Trump Derangement Syndrome"

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23320  (isolation #1301)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:22 am

In post 23319, Persivul wrote:I saw a Jim Acosta tweet on it. Pretty sure that counts as msm.

Did he "lose his mind" as Townhall phrased it?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23325  (isolation #1302)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:53 am

In post 23322, Persivul wrote:
In post 23320, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 23319, Persivul wrote:I saw a Jim Acosta tweet on it. Pretty sure that counts as msm.

Did he "lose his mind" as Townhall phrased it?

No. He contacted the white house and seriously reported that the dog is not in the white house. :lol:

I'm confused. Can you explain to me how you're reading that as an attack on Trump? I can understand the one HuffPo guy who tweeted that it was right-wing propaganda, but saying the dog is not at the White House is... just fluff.

If you're viewing it as an attack, it sounds like you're the one primed to irrationally hate every the media does. You've got Acosta Derangement Syndrome.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23326  (isolation #1303)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:58 am

In post 23324, Dongempire wrote:
In post 23321, Fluminator wrote:The biggest msm gaffe recently was calling the Isis leader an austere religious scholar.

I feel like i heard this before word for word. What the hell happened? In fact i think i heard "the worst of the isis is an austere religious scholar."
Anywau, just hqd dejavu about it.

The Washington Post used the phrase "Austere religious scholar" in a headline. There was backlash from all the other media outlets and they changed the headline. This event gets re-interpreted as "the msm did a thing".

Later, fake images like this pop up on social media. Persivul has no comment.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23334  (isolation #1304)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:32 pm

In post 23332, Persivul wrote:Also, the NYT reached out to the medal recipient who was replaced by the dog to see if he was insulted. He was cool with it. Said that he had some experience with military dogs and they're very brave. IMO the NYT was probably hoping for an attack on Trump by doing that. Over a joke meme.

And the NYT also printed that the guy was cool with it. You'd think that if your theory of TDS was correct, they wouldn't bother reporting that the guy was fine with it.

Also, is it still not sinking in that Trump is the President. Every single President before him has always been under massive scrutiny. Where the micro-expressions, body language, phrasing, etc has been analyzed and dissected for clues as to what policies are being considered. So, everything he does is news. Because he is the president. So when he tweets a doctored photo out of the blue where he replaces a Medal of Honor winner with a dog, what else can you do but ask the guy if he's okay with that.

The media is acting like it's weird for a president to tweet a dumb joke because it's fucking weird for a president to tweet a dumb joke. How do you not get that?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23350  (isolation #1305)  » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:24 pm

In post 23348, kuribo wrote:
In post 23342, Psyche wrote:whats the standard apologetics for the trump ukraine thing?
is it that there was no quid pro quo? that the quid pro quo was okay? that trump screwed up but shouldn't be impeached for it?

Right now it's "there was no quid pro quo and this whole process is a sham"

They've been silent on the charge and attacking the process because they know the charge is indefensible

They've interviewed several witnesses that all confirmed that there was indeed quid pro quo. Trump withheld aid to Ukraine and then asked for the favor of having his political rival's family investigated for corruption.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23416  (isolation #1306)  » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:08 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

The 10 billion dollar wall is being defeated by a $100 reciprocating saw.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23424  (isolation #1307)  » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:22 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23428  (isolation #1308)  » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Good.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23438  (isolation #1309)  » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:02 pm

In post 23433, zoraster wrote:yeah i don't have a good handle on what's an appropriate speaker fee for a college political party group. But clearly the members didn't feel this was one?

It's not the amount per se. The students are outraged because they are charged a "student activity fee" along with tuition and they get no input on what speakers are chosen. To them it feels like a "steal from the poor and give to the rich" moment.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23442  (isolation #1310)  » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 am

Trump seems to have made a quick unscheduled stop at Walter Reed for "routine medical check-up".

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23448  (isolation #1311)  » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:55 pm

In post 23445, panthaleon wrote:I mean democrats only want to say mean things about trump and never nice things. Who are the real intolerant folks?

Ugh. I hate that Republicans try to use that line. Trump got into office on a 100% negative campaign where he literally let crowd to demand that his political rival be "locked up" then he refers to all Democrats by diminutive nicknames and calls people who didn't vote for him "losers", "haters", and "human scum".

Then they ask the fucking gall to ask why we aren't saying nice things about Trump....

Man, fuck Trump.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23456  (isolation #1312)  » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:57 pm

o snap

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23462  (isolation #1313)  » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:16 am

In post 23458, panthaleon wrote:But yeah the article this is pulled from theorizes that Democrats need to stop going left or they will continue losing because voters want people who will win, not Karl Marx

Voters should change to accommodate the GOP? Wow, fuck that.

Shouldn't the take-away be that the Republican party needs to start becoming more liberal to court the majority of American voters? Trump did lose by 3 million votes and only got in office because the system is broken and outdated.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23476  (isolation #1314)  » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:21 pm

He should add "raise American spirits" to it.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23481  (isolation #1315)  » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm

In post 23480, T-Bone wrote:75% of Republicans

How many people are openly calling themselves Republicans these days?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23507  (isolation #1316)  » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 am

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23511  (isolation #1317)  » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm

In post 23510, Ginngie wrote:I just don’t even know what should be normal anymore

Spoiler: Sorry, very sorry, this is still very not normal
An actual tweet from the president on the day before Thanksgiving

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23514  (isolation #1318)  » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:10 am

A reminder that Trump Jr. is just as terrible as his father:

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2019/11/tru ... ng-family/

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23541  (isolation #1319)  » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Did you read Donald Trump's letter to Congress yet? It's... beyond weird.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... Final.html

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23544  (isolation #1320)  » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:16 pm

In post 23543, Untrod Tripod wrote:Merry Impeachmas

Yay!

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23547  (isolation #1321)  » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 pm

In post 23545, Equinox wrote:
In post 23543, Untrod Tripod wrote:Merry Impeachmas

the most american present for the most american people

A * is born.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23549  (isolation #1322)  » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:52 am

Ugh. Even in impeachment, he's trying to pass the buck and rile people up to possible violence.

This is the exact definition of "unfit for presidency". How are so many people blind to this?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23568  (isolation #1323)  » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:34 pm

Trump Republicans are triggered by Trump's cameo being edited out by the CBC.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23569  (isolation #1324)  » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:41 pm

In retrospect, maybe we should just feel lucky the tantrum president didn't start this level of super-dumb foreign policy sooner.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23570  (isolation #1325)  » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:52 pm

This is how the US government works right now and it's scary.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23574  (isolation #1326)  » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:19 pm

Pentagon Chief of Staff just resigned.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23576  (isolation #1327)  » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:50 pm

In post 23575, chamber wrote:Is there a plausible reason behind the resignation besides refusal of an order?

It's all speculation at this point. But the timing is extremely suspect.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23577  (isolation #1328)  » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:59 pm

Oof. This fukkin' guy..

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23580  (isolation #1329)  » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23590  (isolation #1330)  » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 pm

*sniff*

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23607  (isolation #1331)  » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 am

In post 23606, T-Bone wrote:
In post 23603, Vi wrote:Politico interviews suggesting that there may be a comparable historical figure to Individual-1 after all

With sincerity, candor and even a measure of wistful idealism, people shared their views of a political and media culture they believe is cynical at its core. If almost nothing is on the level, almost anything goes.

For Keith Swartz, who is 66 years old and runs a recruiting firm based in Tacoma, Washington, almost anything includes a president he regards as “manic, uneducated, illogical,” and also “essentially a horrible person … vulgar, amoral, narcissistic.”

Wait, this a defense of Trump? Yes, hang on. He’s done a fine job on the economy, in particular, in the face of a Democratic opposition that has bent rules and abused process for three years in an implacable bid to thwart him. “To those of us who support what he has accomplished,” Swartz concluded, “it feels like he is our O.J.”

Someone should go back in a few months and ask this guy if O.J. did it.

...bet he says yesssssssss

That's not really it. I think he's making an analogy that Trump is to white people then way that (he thinks) O.J. Simpson is to black people.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23623  (isolation #1332)  » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:41 pm

In post 23622, pisskop wrote:Not saying it was right. Saying there will be no official reprisal for it.

Part of me is kinda worried that this is the "Franz Ferdinand" part of the WWIII preamble of future text books.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23627  (isolation #1333)  » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:45 pm

In post 23626, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 23624, rb wrote:they also hacked a US government website and left it with a message stating that they would not capitulate no matter what, and that they will continue supporting their allies in the region

This was never confirmed to be the Iranian govt and it would have been strategically stupid to flash a warning on a library site instead of going after something of much higher value yet likely to be equally fortified

If it's what I'm thinking of, I'm guessing it was just some independent low-level possibly Iranian hacker group.

Also:

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23628  (isolation #1334)  » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:40 pm

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... n-justice/

Sec. 3. Function. (a) The Commission shall study issues related to law enforcement and the administration of justice and make recommendations to the Attorney General, who shall submit a report and recommendations to the President on actions that can be taken to prevent, reduce, and control crime, increase respect for the law, and assist victims. The Commission shall undertake, as directed by the Attorney General, a review of relevant research and expertise and make recommendations regarding important current issues facing law enforcement and the criminal justice system such as:

(i) challenges to law enforcement associated with mental illness, homelessness, substance abuse, and other social factors that influence crime and strain criminal justice resources;

(ii) the recruitment, hiring, training, and retention of law enforcement officers, including in rural and tribal communities;

(iii) the potential for public and private initiatives, including in “qualified opportunity zones” as defined in section 13823(a) of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, to reduce crime and improve police-community relations;

(iv) refusals by State and local prosecutors to enforce laws or prosecute categories of crimes;

(v) the physical safety, health, and wellness of law enforcement officers;

(vi) the need to promote public respect for the law and law enforcement officers;

(vii) better integration of education, employment, social services, and public health services into efforts to reduce crime and ease the burden on law enforcement, courts, and corrections systems;

(viii) the use of targeted deterrence approaches to reduce violent crime;

(ix) new and developing methodologies, technologies, and best practices for combatting criminal activity, delinquency, and public disorder;

(x) the effects of technological innovations on law enforcement and the criminal justice system, including the challenges and opportunities presented by such innovations;

(xi) the effectiveness of contemporary law enforcement training methods around critical topics, the direction of next generation training methods, and an understanding of critical training needs;

(xii) the effectiveness of Federal grant programs in establishing best practices for law enforcement and supporting the administration of justice in State, local, and tribal jurisdictions; and

(xiii) other topics related to law enforcement and the control of crime as the Attorney General deems appropriate.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23629  (isolation #1335)  » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 pm

i, iv, v, viii, and xiii worry me the most.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23633  (isolation #1336)  » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:13 am

Is this legit?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23636  (isolation #1337)  » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:10 am

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23638  (isolation #1338)  » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:11 pm

In post 23637, shaft.ed wrote:if some knucklehead can get video like this
other governments must have all the things

https://www.newsweek.com/lev-parnas-tru ... ne-1484054

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23639  (isolation #1339)  » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23640  (isolation #1340)  » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:12 pm

Holy fuck, no. That's not how anything works.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23648  (isolation #1341)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:18 am

"But her emails..." amiright?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23652  (isolation #1342)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:43 pm

In post 23651, Ginngie wrote:well there goes the witnesses lol

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

This is a defining moment of Republicans vowing to not prosecute Republicans.

There is no reason for Democrats to ever stand against Democrats if these are the new rules.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23656  (isolation #1343)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:00 pm

In post 23653, Ginngie wrote:
In post 23652, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 23651, Ginngie wrote:well there goes the witnesses lol

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

This is a defining moment of Republicans vowing to not prosecute Republicans.

There is no reason for Democrats to ever stand against Democrats if these are the new rules.

this is dumb.

Is it? It's now pretty much a fait accompli that Trump can do whatever underhanded actions he deems fit to keep himself in office. His argument was that if it benefits him, then it benefits the country.

What's the legal reason why the Democrats shouldn't commit to doing as much underhanded shit as possible to keep pace? Would it be wrong from Democrats to get funding from foreign governments to bring down Trump?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23659  (isolation #1344)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 pm

In post 23657, Ginngie wrote:It amazes me that you're a teacher and cant answer that yourself

Oh. I forgot that everything I say is in my teacher voice. I can't kick back and bitch about how terrible Republicans are.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23661  (isolation #1345)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:58 pm

In post 23660, panthaleon wrote:I mean you are right that Republicans are scum, but "Democrats should just do the same thing" is the dogma they teach.

"Both Sides are the Same" is a motto of the right and not the left for a reason.

No, that's the dogma they taught. Democrats got all the slander, but none of the benefits because there was a belief that we were all on the same side as Americans.

Trump colludes with foreigners against Americans. And Republicans protect him.

Republicans are traitors and no quarter should be spared to defeat them.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23665  (isolation #1346)  » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:34 pm

In post 23664, panthaleon wrote:Good people cannot do bad things

Well goodness, I guess I've never met any good people.

I'll calm down. I'm just annoyed.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23678  (isolation #1347)  » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:12 pm

Rush Limbaugh has advanced lung cancer.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23679  (isolation #1348)  » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:14 pm

Here's some video of Trump respecting the national anthem while President. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politi ... 13588.html

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23682  (isolation #1349)  » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Trump has begun retaliating.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23685  (isolation #1350)  » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:10 pm

If you equate people with paper, I guess.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23699  (isolation #1351)  » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:14 pm

In post 23686, Psyche wrote:vindman will be fine

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23700  (isolation #1352)  » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:08 pm

https://www.axios.com/justice-departmen ... adfc6.html

A new DOJ memo overturns the original Roger Stone sentencing guidelines and all the Special Prosecutors resigned in protest. Also, people thinking about protest voting have a bad grasp of how terrible and corrupt the Republicans are.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23704  (isolation #1353)  » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:05 pm

In post 23703, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 23700, Kublai Khan wrote:https://www.axios.com/justice-department-roger-stone-sentencing-change-71e4253f-624a-465e-95b9-ea270faadfc6.html

A new DOJ memo overturns the original Roger Stone sentencing guidelines and all the Special Prosecutors resigned in protest. Also, people thinking about protest voting have a bad grasp of how terrible and corrupt the Republicans are.

unconventional
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/lisa ... ne-fallout

also can we impeach Barr now too?

We have entered the period of Trump's lame duck revenge. Makes you realize how angry Trump was at Session for recusing himself. Barr has no problem attacking people at Trump's command. He's a fascist big federal punitive government type.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23705  (isolation #1354)  » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 pm

If they try to impeach Barr he will definitely ignore the Constitutional summons and force a Constitutional crisis.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23707  (isolation #1355)  » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:20 pm

In post 23705, Kublai Khan wrote:If they try to impeach Barr he will definitely ignore the Constitutional summons and force a Constitutional crisis.

Oops. Nevermind. Spoke too soon. Apparently Barr confirmed to appear before Congress on March 31st.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23717  (isolation #1356)  » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:52 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23719  (isolation #1357)  » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:50 pm

In post 23718, Vi wrote:[BBC] Witness in Assange extradition hearing: Trump offered a pardon in exchange for claiming Russia didn't leak e-mails influencing the 2016 US election

modern-day presidential

it does smell funny but it's plausible enough that it may as well be true

Also:
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-p ... ign-2020-2
https://www.vox.com/2020/2/19/21142836/ ... corruption

Trump is just encouraging more corruption to better hide his corruption.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23727  (isolation #1358)  » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:21 pm

In post 23724, shaft.ed wrote:theyre saying it outloud now
seriously, wtf?
“My party is very interested in deficits when there is a Democrat in the White House,” the acting chief of staff said. “The worst thing in the whole world is deficits when Barack Obama was the President.”

“Then Donald Trump became president, and we’re a lot less interested as a party,” he continued.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/mulv ... ndly-trump

They've gotten to the point where they know that either the GOP is not going to read a non-RW news source (and you know that Fox News or OANN or whoever is not going to report it) or they feel like they are part of the "in-on-it" group. Like "of course we only use deficits to attack Dems. Are those Dems crying about it? I love liberal tears!"

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23729  (isolation #1359)  » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:58 am

A new low in Trump representing Americans.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23734  (isolation #1360)  » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:17 pm

Hmm.. There's a corona virus case in the town I work in. I can't wait for it to work it's way into the school system.

Mike Pence's prayers don't seem to be working.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23745  (isolation #1361)  » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:10 pm

The US is airstriking in Afghanistan again.

Looks like the Trump announcement of peace was wrong. Shocking.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23748  (isolation #1362)  » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:29 pm

In post 23747, shaft.ed wrote:man, what leadership

Well, you have to view this from the proper perspective. If you bring those people back to the US, increased coronavirus numbers will be reported by the fake news media to make Trump look bad. That could threaten his re-election. Since this country is lost without his wise and steady leadership, that must be avoided at any cost. If that means every last person on the ship gets infected, it's sacrifice Trump will make with a heavy heart. As for the people on the ship, they should rest assured that they are performing their patriotic duty.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23750  (isolation #1363)  » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:20 pm

In post 23749, kuribo wrote:"We don't want the numbers to double when it wasn't our fault."

Gotta make sure you don't get blamed; human suffering is only numbers.

He gives a classic example of how a sociopath responds to other's tragedy.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23759  (isolation #1364)  » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:45 pm

Yup. We're been totally pwned.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23766  (isolation #1365)  » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:45 pm

In case you thought Trump was just off-handedly calling the corona virus the "Chinese Virus", this tweet shows that it's a deliberate political messaging.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23778  (isolation #1366)  » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:28 am

Well, okay. Technically, yeah. :roll: Yes, it's a fake tweet

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23780  (isolation #1367)  » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:48 am

Trump is openly considering bailing out his own hotels.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/572160/tru ... go-closed/

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23787  (isolation #1368)  » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:23 pm

Good news, everyone. Trump's ratings have been great during this pandemic subplot.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23790  (isolation #1369)  » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:28 pm

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ling-virus

Trump's campaign team is manufacturing audio to attack Biden.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23791  (isolation #1370)  » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:33 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23795  (isolation #1371)  » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:02 pm

In post 23793, shaft.ed wrote:So they tell the states they're on their own and need to buy their own PPE
States buy their own PPE
Now they are confiscating the shipments to disappear into unknown federal stockpiles
Stockpiles that shouldn't go to the states because they are national emergency stores

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/wh ... -hospitals

I've been following that and I'm absolutely aghast.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23801  (isolation #1372)  » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:52 pm

In post 23799, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 23795, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 23793, shaft.ed wrote:So they tell the states they're on their own and need to buy their own PPE
States buy their own PPE
Now they are confiscating the shipments to disappear into unknown federal stockpiles
Stockpiles that shouldn't go to the states because they are national emergency stores

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/wh ... -hospitals

I've been following that and I'm absolutely aghast.

shiftface is stealing ventilators and PPE that he forced states to purchase themselves and rewarding them to allies and others willing to kiss his ring for PR
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/pp ... umps-hands

there needs to be a new word above infuriating for this fuckheads

Isn't this what African dictators do when food relief from the UN comes in?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23805  (isolation #1373)  » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:07 pm

In post 2, drmyshottyizsik wrote:Sadly I think we will all be disappointed as to how normal his presidency will be. He's not a lunatic.

This is still one of the all-time dumbest statements ever made on mafiascum.net.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23821  (isolation #1374)  » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 pm

In post 23820, shaft.ed wrote:this certainly isn't going to set a crazy precedent
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trum ... per-pac-ad

Test case?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23833  (isolation #1375)  » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:52 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23844  (isolation #1376)  » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:14 pm

In post 23842, shaft.ed wrote:this certainly looks responsible

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trum ... supporters

I'm struggling to understand what kind of idiots march around waving Confederate flags in Michigan and Minnesota. Just keeps proving my point that Trump supporters are anti-American to their core. They are fighting for themselves as being above their country. Goddamn southerners still can't understand why raising arms against fellow Americans was wrong. Hell, I'm not totally sure they understand that slavery is wrong.

Reminds me of a funny story about Minnesota and the Confederacy. Turns out that troops from Minnesota had captured one of the original Confederate flags from Virginia during the Civil War. For the past 100 years the state of Virginia has asked for it back saying it was their heritage. They demanded it back, passed a Congressional resolution ordering it to be given back, and even had a president ask for it to be returned. Minnesota refused.

Then Governor Jesse Ventura put it best: “Why? We won. … We took it. That makes it our heritage.”

https://www.twincities.com/2017/08/20/m ... o-keep-it/

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23847  (isolation #1377)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:27 pm

The people who hate everything you support and oppose every good that government is capable of doing fly the confederate flag.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23848  (isolation #1378)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 pm

We can't tolerate intolerance.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23851  (isolation #1379)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:46 pm

"I don't believe that germs exist" isn't a tolerable attitude.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23855  (isolation #1380)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:05 pm

In post 23854, Equinox wrote:
In post 23852, Psyche wrote:Okay, what does that mean? We're doing that right now, right? People are living right now not believing that germs exist and we're letting them. What do you propose we do differently?

Maybe stop giving that viewpoint airtime on national television?

And there be consequences for news stations or websites that allow those viewpoints to exist.

Remember how de-platforming hate was way, way more effective than "let's defeat it in the marketplace of ideas"?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23856  (isolation #1381)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Sorry, it's mostly the shitty attitude I have right now talking but remember when all those spring breakers partied on the beach and got coronavirus? Remember the preachers that said God would protect them died of the coronavirus? Remember when Boris Johnson bragged about shaking hands with coronavirus patients then got hospitalized with coronavirus?

The number of coronavirus cases and deaths are still climbing and there's an unregulated cottage industry of anti-science running rampant and they are the same idiots that exclusively waive confederate flags. I give no fucks about their "right" to put others at risk.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23864  (isolation #1382)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:33 pm

I'm sick of the idea that if we give the government any power of us, that the power will ultimately be abused. It's supposed to be the government by the people, of the people, and for the people, but only the super rich ever actually use it in their favor. The rest of us are too afraid of slippery slopes and we are frozen in inaction.

Germany outlawed the use and display of "symbols of unconstitutional organizations" outside the contexts of "art or science, research or teaching" in the time period after WWII. It's been about 80 years since that happened. Has Germany descended into another fascist dictatorship because of that law? No, they haven't. They've been much better of because of it. Far right hate groups aren't welcome into the marketplace of ideas and nothing of value is lost.

And the law doesn't even blanket outlaw Nazism. It just outlaws "unconstitutional" ideas. Ideas that are the antithesis of what their government is founded on. The same ideas that we let run rampant (like the confederate flag). They've taken the time to evaluate each symbol on a case-by-case basis and rule either for or against them. Some symbols are protested and eventually ruling on them reversed. (An antifascist crossed out swastika symbol was initially declared illegal before being reversed).

Why is this a harmful idea, Psyche?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23866  (isolation #1383)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:07 pm

So the Holocaust isn't enough of a case of direct/actual harm for you to support anti-hate speech laws?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23869  (isolation #1384)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:16 pm

In post 23868, Fluminator wrote:
In post 23866, Kublai Khan wrote:So the Holocaust isn't enough of a case of direct/actual harm for you to support anti-hate speech laws?

I know you're not asking me, but my line in the sand is:

Does this ideology infringe on the human rights of others?
Yes: Shut it down
No: Let it stay

How are you defining infringe? And what are you defining as "human rights"?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23870  (isolation #1385)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:17 pm

In post 23867, Fluminator wrote:Are these confederate flag people wanting slavery back?

That was the stated goal of secession. They opposed the Federal government's authority to stop them from owning slaves.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23873  (isolation #1386)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 pm

In post 23871, Psyche wrote:
In post 23866, Kublai Khan wrote:So the Holocaust isn't enough of a case of direct/actual harm for you to support anti-hate speech laws?

I'd back handling directly harmful hate speech like we handle hate crime laws.

Speech dealing direct/actual harm is especially harmful when it's bias-motivated given that it is "more likely to provoke retaliatory crimes, inflict distinct emotional harms on their victims, and incite community unrest" - by the Supreme Court's language.

Championing slaver's rights doesn't meet that criteria?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23880  (isolation #1387)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:46 pm

Hey look, a crowd of Trump followers chanting "Fire Fauci". Because it certainly doesn't impact my life and health for a the top epidemiologist in the country to lose their job because he's not blindly supporting a politician who doesn't listen to his expert advice.

Why is being anti-science the only allowable hate speech when it's the least beneficial?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23886  (isolation #1388)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:55 pm

Beer's kicking in and I'm getting tired.

All my arguments are feeling pretty dumb considering I'm posting them on a website with a lynching in it's logo.

But at least we've never fought other websites for the right to own sentient beings as slaves. So we're still better than confederates.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #23896  (isolation #1389)  » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:14 pm

In post 23888, Psyche wrote:championing slaver's rights is bad but freedom of opinion and expression is good. to balance these we let people believe and express their belief in slaver's rights but ban slaver's rights and other bad things like spitting on a black person.

But some opinions are inherently and inexcusably toxic. Let's say inciting rioting or encouraging suicide. Do you think those opinions have inherent value and should be protected?

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24619  (isolation #1390)  » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:34 pm

In post 24615, Porkens wrote:It’s a religion.

Speaking of which..

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1234541

Twitter is taking active steps to kick Qanon garbage off their social platform. That is the cultist base that never sees Trump do wrong.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24657  (isolation #1391)  » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm

For shaft.ed

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24672  (isolation #1392)  » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 pm

Flashback:

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24679  (isolation #1393)  » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 pm

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Kublai Khan
Khan Man

Post Post #24700  (isolation #1394)  » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:07 pm

I'm voting for the candidate who is more powerful than God.

Black Lives Matter
Wear a mask

Previous
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion