Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Flubbernugget
Survivor

Pronoun: He

Post Post #22030  (isolation #200)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am

I've been shaded as a trump supporter and a leftist in under two pages I think I deserve a trophy or something

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22035  (isolation #201)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:01 am

In post 22031, Persivul wrote:
In post 22027, Flubbernugget wrote:There's many reasons to like the US. I would definitely rather live here over China, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia just going off of free speech and censorship alone.

Yep. We have faults, but awful is ridiculous.

But the argument that everyone comes here because we're prosperous, and that is some reflection of virtue is ignorant, stupid, and embarassing.

First, I didn't argue that everyone comes here solely due to our prosperity.

Second, I'd argue that prosperity does indeed reflect virtue to some extent.

p-edit: You're lying, or delusional, in claiming that a comment about my feefees being hurt wasn't personal. I mean come on.

Awful is relative to the individual. If you're doing well nah. If you get your arm blown off in Cambodia today because our government is too stupid to figure how to make a bomb explode on time then yeah, that's pretty fucking awful. Awful enough that it stains the country in sweeping ways.

I don't feel like arguing that "some extent" qualifier but it seems like other people are so whatever

And if you want to take that personal then by all means I won't stop you. But I was talking about the thing you quoted because that's what you well...quoted.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22038  (isolation #202)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 am

In post 22033, Dongempire wrote:
In post 22012, Persivul wrote:
In post 22000, T-Bone wrote:The US is actually an awful country, hate to break it to you.

An awful lot of people want to come to the US. So, what does that say if the US is awful? Those other countries are shitholes?

This is a fucking ass post

However being a citizen sucks. No free healthcare, no free education, student loans, etc. The bad outweighs the good by tons.
I live in turkey. Apart from the mediterranean coast not a lot of wants to come here or live here. Does that make us an awful country? We have free education, free healthcare, good infrastructure, everything a normal person can need. But not a lot of people want to visit as the us, so i guess we suck.
I mean, im not even mentioning that this is how the us markets itself. Everybody knows about it so most people want to live here, even though living in a place like Antalya is much better and cheaper than New York. Besides, the point is the US is awful because it constantly conspires with terrorists. Sure, turkey does to some extent too but they dont directly fund their entire existence.

I'm surprised by your experiences in turkey. I thought you had bigger issues with dictatorships, inequality, and authoritarianism than the US.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with Turkey's military? Dollar for dollar they're second to the US in expenditures, and that's usually used as a metric for corruption in the armed forces.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22042  (isolation #203)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 am

I wonder how similar empire's thing about the rapper is to that time the FBI tried to label juggalos as a gang

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22047  (isolation #204)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 am

Dongempire wrote:
In post 22038, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 22033, Dongempire wrote:
In post 22012, Persivul wrote:
In post 22000, T-Bone wrote:The US is actually an awful country, hate to break it to you.

An awful lot of people want to come to the US. So, what does that say if the US is awful? Those other countries are shitholes?

This is a fucking ass post

However being a citizen sucks. No free healthcare, no free education, student loans, etc. The bad outweighs the good by tons.
I live in turkey. Apart from the mediterranean coast not a lot of wants to come here or live here. Does that make us an awful country? We have free education, free healthcare, good infrastructure, everything a normal person can need. But not a lot of people want to visit as the us, so i guess we suck.
I mean, im not even mentioning that this is how the us markets itself. Everybody knows about it so most people want to live here, even though living in a place like Antalya is much better and cheaper than New York. Besides, the point is the US is awful because it constantly conspires with terrorists. Sure, turkey does to some extent too but they dont directly fund their entire existence.

I'm surprised by your experiences in turkey. I thought you had bigger issues with dictatorships, inequality, and authoritarianism than the US.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with Turkey's military? Dollar for dollar they're second to the US in expenditures, and that's usually used as a metric for corruption in the armed forces.

Dictatorship, maybe. It isnt china levels, elections get rigged but in Istanbul recently a rigged election was redone so a legitimate governor came to power. There are solutions, but unlike china, where the people are fed lies, you arent fed anything here, its just that the people (especially easterns) are ignorant. It isnt an unsolvable problem but we do need more schools there.

I dont kniw what to say about inequality. I dont have many personal experience with it but i guess easterns get the short end of the stick when it comes to, well, anything. The living conditions there suck, and there are constantly threats there, mostly terrorism. In the west there isnt much problem.

The military is a touchy subject. Theres still conscription so that may be where the money is going. But there was an attempted coup 2 years back, but i dont know how that relates. Theres a conspiracy that Erdoğan did that to make himself seem like a savior of the people ( not a year before the elections too) and create a puppet terrorist gang. Its too much for me to think about, and while i'd like any chance to get the fuck from the iron throne, i dont want to talk about it in extension without thinking it through. If it is true then yeah theres a lot of corruption in the military.
Your govt is for sure a lot more unstable than the US's then (at least at the upper levels, it sounds like), but it's interesting to hear that may not unanimously translate to poor living conditions.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22051  (isolation #205)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:30 am

Fluminator wrote:
In post 22015, Psyche wrote:i don't really know of any country that hasn't been awful that's has the power to be and still think the us hegemony has presided over a dramatic global reduction in death, poverty, oppression, and so on through its on-balance liberal foreign policy. Obviously, the country's foreign policy hasn't even been wholly liberal, let alone moral (which can be distinguished from liberal in key areas), and includes many, many shitty calls, even a lot of deliberately shitty ones. But it's so boring to see these conversations carried out with so little nuance.

America is no worse than most imperial places yeah (maybe even slightly better), and I get the argument that if America lightened up, you'd have Russia and China come in instead.
It's still cathartic to vent though.
Western Europe has a lot of imperialism in the last century and on many metrics is better than the US.

I can't speak for China, but with the fall of the USSR I can't imagine Russia pulling off expansion any time soon.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22054  (isolation #206)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:33 am

Cheetory6 wrote:I feel like to say "America isn't thaaaaaaattttt bad. look at _______" is a failure of imagination and reinforces some pretty complacent and cynical attitudes.
It's valid to express gratitude. I have food in my fridge every day and many people can't say that.

Fuck immigration as a metric for greatness though.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22056  (isolation #207)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:44 am

Historically states direct economies and the US is no different. I wouldn't take pride in it, but I still think calling something good and being proud of it are different.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22061  (isolation #208)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:50 am

In post 22058, Fluminator wrote:As we speak, Russia is in the process of expanding its influence. I think you underestimate how far they've come since the collapse.

Link me up and ill read into it

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22089  (isolation #209)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Persivul wrote:The libs should discourage immigrants, if they really believe what they say about the US.
That's the point of saying the US is awful when people are mentioning foreign policy

If they were to stop being awful there wouldn't be as many immigrants

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22090  (isolation #210)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm

I literally mentioned this the the first time you started using immigrants as a metric for success

And now you're trying to use that as some sort of gotcha contradiction

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22098  (isolation #211)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm

The initial connections are in the US because after smallpox/genocide killed 90% of the natives, settlers saw the remains as "free" land in quantities they couldn't produce from w/o a massive influx of immigrants. Anti immigration sentiment followed with cities and whatnot running out of land to develop on, turning producing into sharing.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22099  (isolation #212)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 pm

In post 22097, Persivul wrote:
In post 22094, panthaleon wrote:The US has a pretty rich history destabilizing nations that threaten our prosperity and supremacy. That destabilizing is literally what people complain about when they say that the US has shitty foreign policy practices.

@Equinox: like this. It's so vague as to be worthless. If it's true, then detail it. Find a list of immigrants by nation. Explain what the US has done to destabilize those nations, and when. I agree with the notion conceptually, I'm mostly doubting the magnitude of the effect. For example, take Mexico. They send the most immigrants. Is it the US's fault that there's a lot of corruption in their government, and drug cartels have so much influence? Then look at Canada, our other neighbor. If we destabilized Mexico for profit, why didn't we do the same with Canada?

p-edit: see, another one. ETA: NM, same poster.

Canada was a french colony with an extremely powerful military in the 19th century. We also did cut into their territory (though the Louisana purchase was "fair" if you pretend native americans don't exist). There was also political incentive not piss France off after they made major contributions to the Revolution.

The US had a history of synthesizing political turmoil in Mexico on it's quest to colonize westward, up to and including staging violence in a way eerily similar to the buildup to the Nazis used to invade Poland.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22101  (isolation #213)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Mexico isn't a part of that list

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22104  (isolation #214)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Yes lmao I literally just brought that up

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22118  (isolation #215)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

In post 22107, Persivul wrote:Holy shit. Believe what you like, but IMO claiming that Mexican emigration today is a result of something that happened 170 years ago is just a bit of a stretch.

Canada has less problems because we never had an opportunity to invade or exploit them.

Mexico has more problems because we've had multiple chances to invade them and exploit them as demonstrably proven by the Mexican-American war. This sets precedent for the problems panthaleon brought up.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22121  (isolation #216)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Bracero program was an expliotation of Mexico's poor economy which is partly due to an unstable gov't that the US contributed to.

Mexican American war is again not a cause, but shows how the US can fuck with Mexico in ways they can't fuck with Canada

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22123  (isolation #217)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:52 pm

It's just a really weak causality because of the time span

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22126  (isolation #218)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Sometimes it's good to argue with ideologues to remind the audience that they're being idiots

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22128  (isolation #219)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Psyche with the existential wisdom

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22130  (isolation #220)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:52 am

In post 22121, Flubbernugget wrote:Mexican American war is again not a cause,

Read dumbass

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22131  (isolation #221)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:54 am

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22136  (isolation #222)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am

Middle East destabilization has a lot more to do with France/Britain after WWI than anything the US has done

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22139  (isolation #223)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 am

That's fair

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22141  (isolation #224)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

If I felt powerless I wouldn't be spending so much time denouncing your stupidity.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22148  (isolation #225)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Repitition is important when it's being abused by a massive influence in the US

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22150  (isolation #226)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 pm

In post 22144, Persivul wrote:Haven't considered it as I don't care. For years I've thought that locus of control probably explains a lot of the political divide. This is more confirmation.

Most people grow out of fitting the world into overly simplified pet ideas by their twenties ftr
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22152  (isolation #227)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:16 pm

nice location btw

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22163  (isolation #228)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:40 pm

In post 22160, James Brafin wrote:^
Definitely didn’t have to come at that cost

To sustain the US lifestyle it absolutely did.

Whether or not that lifestyle maps to a quality life is a lot more debatable

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22169  (isolation #229)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Yeah it's not distasteful

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22182  (isolation #230)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:31 pm

In post 22175, Persivul wrote:
In post 22151, Fluminator wrote:Persivul, I think everyone agrees that the standard of life in America (and it's western allies) is higher than most other countries in the world, and all of history. The point we're trying to say is, it came at a high cost for other countries.

I understand that point. My point is that people are just saying it, without doing much to demonstrate that's the primary cause for immigration to the US today.

Your new pet idea to replace "locus of control" is "push factor"

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22183  (isolation #231)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:34 pm

In post 22173, Persivul wrote:
In post 22150, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 22144, Persivul wrote:Haven't considered it as I don't care. For years I've thought that locus of control probably explains a lot of the political divide. This is more confirmation.

Most people grow out of fitting the world into overly simplified pet ideas by their twenties ftr

Maybe. I don't know the ages of the people who did studies like this:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... 4213506215
The results indicate supporters for the two major parties are wired differently, in line with previous findings about ideology. Democrats were driven by an external locus of control and Republicans by an internal locus.

They're pet ideas to you, not experts.

Why? Cuz I know you'll find every little nitpick and problem with journals and blame it on science as a whole if I pull some up about climate change.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22185  (isolation #232)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:38 pm

That how I felt when I started my diatribes here and now it's like the reverse

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22186  (isolation #233)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

In post 22178, Zulfy wrote:The argument that "The US fucked a bunch of countries up and that's why people are immigrating to it" implicitly suggests that immigration is a bad thing.... Immigration to the states is mostly cuz of the economic opportunity, really.

I'd argue that most mass migrations are bad things.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22190  (isolation #234)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:21 pm

In post 22188, Fluminator wrote:
In post 22184, Psyche wrote:i feel like im fading from this site
the discussions have just gotten so staid

I imagine that's what happens when a site is almost entirely one political viewpoint.
#unban TSO lol

Nothing TSO said was any more unique than anything I, Percy, you, or anyone else has really brought up in a while

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22195  (isolation #235)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Zulfy wrote:
In post 22186, Flubbernugget wrote:I'd argue that most mass migrations are bad things.

nice
It's not inherently a bad thing, but it's more often than not a consequence of tragedy. People tend to stick around what they know unless it's causing them serious harm.

It would be good if we had provided refuge to Syrians for example. But it's bad they all had to leave in the first place.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22203  (isolation #236)  » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 pm

In post 22200, Davsto wrote:
In post 22184, Psyche wrote:i feel like im fading from this site
the discussions have just gotten so staid

It doesn't help that you have like 10+ people arguing against one so each of those people are basically restating most of everyone else's responses to Persivul's post making it extra repetitve

And you can't even chime in to add to the discussion bc you know you'd just make it worse lmao

This is fair.

I'm going to stop on that topic.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22230  (isolation #237)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

In post 22214, Persivul wrote:
In post 22183, Flubbernugget wrote:I know you'll find every little nitpick and problem with journals and blame it on science as a whole if I pull some up about climate change.

No, if you pull up studies on climate change, I'll ignore them. Depending on my mood, I'd respond with one of:

1. So what?

2. What was the temperature like when fossil fuels were being laid down?

3. Obama presumably had access to the best information on the subject, and he's spending millions on oceanfront property.

Okay you didn't blame it all on science so it was good to be wrong there

You still demonstrated you cherry pick what expertise you scrutinize

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22231  (isolation #238)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 am

Ok now I'm done

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22277  (isolation #239)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

In post 22213, Persivul wrote:
In post 22211, Psyche wrote:this is exactly the thing
tso was crazy but he was also just plain less dumb

No one's forcing you to participate. And, I'm probably smarter than either of you.

I just want you to know that this dunning kruger shit is why I'm consistently more toxic to you than anyone else on this site and why I constantly talk to you like a coddled snowflake that needs to be reminded you're as worthless and stupid as everyone you've decided to be deserving of your nihilistic philosophies.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22278  (isolation #240)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 am

Ok I'm done for real now

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22314  (isolation #241)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:39 am

In post 22302, Cheetory6 wrote:
In post 22300, Fluminator wrote:I may not be the smartest person, but there's this game at the science centre, where two people put on helmets that measure brain activity. There's this ball behind a chamber, and it's a brain waves tug of war. Whoever has LESS brain activity pushes the ball forward and wins.

I absolutely dominated that game every time and impressed the staff.
oh yeah?
In grade 5 I won a chess tournament.

You flexed in the wrong thread mother fucker.

Get back to me once you've coded your own pong clone by age 13

Stupidpoopoohead

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22318  (isolation #242)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:45 am

Equinox wrote:I won second place in a regional engineering competition when I was 14 by building a bridge that survived a karate chop the second longest.

Get on my level, dumbasses.
Dude I had to do something like that in middle school with toothpicks and glue.

The only reason we did well was because the entire team was fucking awful with our hands so the whole thing ended up being more glue than wood

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22323  (isolation #243)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am

In post 22319, Dongempire wrote:What are everyones thoughts on Age of Empires 2 definitive edition?

I got a %25 discount for it but im unsure if i should buy it. I love age of empires 2 but i already have it so maybe i should hold off on it for now? Its quite cheap at 39 liras or around 8 dollars but if anyone bought it i wouldnt mind an advice

Age of Empires is for dummies that can't memorize the entire manual to empire earth

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22345  (isolation #244)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 am

Fluminator wrote:
In post 22332, Cheetory6 wrote:oh this seems like a good place to ask right now.
Anyone else watch Rick and Morty?

Oh have I!
I also corner people in parties and tell them to invest in cryptocurrency. Most are too dumb to understand why :/
To be fair you have to understand decimal points to understand if your iq is high enough to invest in cryptocurrency

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22397  (isolation #245)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:13 pm

In post 22380, Persivul wrote:
In post 22372, Cheetory6 wrote:Can start with the IPCC report?
Why is the IPCC wrong?

I don't know that it's wrong. I don't know that it's right. Neither do you. Neither do they.

Man i really wish more people committed to this line of thinking

That way all the financial models your accounting is based on would cease to be invested in, and then as you descend into homelessness and misery your wife and kids leave you since there's no way they're committing to someone as vested in their self interests as you if it weren't for the money.

Honestly this should make me sad but we're all assholes and destructive anyway so I'm just going to revel in the thought of burning in hell for the chance of getting to see you suffer with me

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22419  (isolation #246)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Youll notice from my recent posting that if you point out the ways percy's stupidity could end up effecting him personally he ignores you
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22425  (isolation #247)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:49 pm

In post 22422, Dongempire wrote:
In post 22420, Inferno390 wrote:I think he just has an innate ability to sense that if answers certain posts, he will be put in a position where he’ll either have to admit he’s wrong or lose all credibility he thinks he has.

It’s like spidey-sense but for alt righters and reddit mods

fixed

Is this really what counts as alt right now?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22430  (isolation #248)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm

My only "denial" is that i don't strictly think it ends all life

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22448  (isolation #249)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:05 pm

In post 22446, Fluminator wrote:
GreyICE wrote:-snip-
I'm following and agreeing so far.
I have a chemical engineering degree so this is more a refresher course. but it's still a good refresher.

I thought you were mechanical for some reason

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22464  (isolation #250)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Percy if this is how you treat predictions you should probabaly pull out of any 401k or whatever retirement funds you have because you won't know for 20 or so years as to whether or not that money is still going to be there.

You should also write a will that makes sure noone gets it after you die if you want to actually make it to retirement otherwise you're going to have to worry about everyone you know being as awful as you act like they are.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22472  (isolation #251)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:09 pm

In post 22419, Flubbernugget wrote:Youll notice from my recent posting that if you point out the ways percy's stupidity could end up effecting him personally he ignores you

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22475  (isolation #252)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:13 pm

In post 22471, GreyICE wrote:And the when Eout is less than Ein, energy gets added to the system. And that is why the earth is getting warmer,

This technically shows the earth is heating, not warming.

I'd typically dismiss this point as pedantic but it's apparently important enough that the guardian posted an article saying they're going to specify "heating" over "warming" from now on.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22478  (isolation #253)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Dongempire wrote:Think we can call off the jerking here this is peak ignorance
He's making a good outlet for me not thinking about seriously harming someone that hurt my loved ones and definitely deserves a cold grave. Pardon the indulgence but luckily nihilists are worthless by their own admission anyway

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22493  (isolation #254)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Deep

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22496  (isolation #255)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Gonna be that guy and point out the mythbusters showed that equinox's point doesn't hold if the parachutes are made out of duct tape

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22498  (isolation #256)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Spoiler: the study
myth BUSTED

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22503  (isolation #257)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Percy's not going to deny the premise of the science. He's going to doubt the confidence in the predictions. Which is why the retirement thing I brought up is so poignant. It shows he's a damned hypocrite and a fucking tool when it comes to trusting extrapolations.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22513  (isolation #258)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:09 pm

Guys he stopped talking to me completely and probably has me blocked. If you want the idiocy to stop you're welcome to follow my lead. Think of all the ways his selfishness and ignorance can turn on him. There's no need to be as crass and evil as I am but respect can still be super uncomfortable if you're straight with someone.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22547  (isolation #259)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:14 pm

In post 22542, T-Bone wrote:
In post 22513, Flubbernugget wrote:Guys he stopped talking to me completely and probably has me blocked. If you want the idiocy to stop you're welcome to follow my lead. Think of all the ways his selfishness and ignorance can turn on him. There's no need to be as crass and evil as I am but respect can still be super uncomfortable if you're straight with someone.

Maybe not everyone has strong feelings about him and posts like this aren't necessary.

Noted. I will not make them anymore.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22548  (isolation #260)  » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:15 pm

The rage was cathartic but I'll take to your word that it went too far.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22617  (isolation #261)  » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:44 am

In post 22613, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 22611, Dongempire wrote:at least conventional multicelled organisms would be wiped out even if bacteria and the like remain

nah, I'm sure there would be some complex species that survive fine
some will likely thrive

My biggest fear is aggressive plants overgrowing with the enormous (and at such a point temporary) supply of carbon and then starving everything out but I have zero clue how substantiated that is.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22630  (isolation #262)  » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:19 pm

In post 22629, Dongempire wrote:Theres no way this is real

The link 404d me so I guess you're right

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22954  (isolation #263)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am

TDC wrote:
In post 22886, Persivul wrote:If you ask multiple qualified people where a heavenly body will be in 30 years, you'll get one answer, and it will be correct.

99942 Apophis is a 370-meter diameter near-Earth asteroid that caused a brief period of concern in December 2004 because initial observations indicated a probability of up to 2.7% that it would hit Earth on April 13, 2029.

That's just 25 years and they weren't sure about it.

Turns out all models have error bars.
Including the ones Persivul's livelihood depends on!

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22960  (isolation #264)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 am

In post 22957, Persivul wrote:
In post 22954, Flubbernugget wrote:Including the ones Persivul's livelihood depends on!

LOL - what are you on about? I'm in taxes.

Yes and how does your manager know how to bill your customer at a profitable and sustainable rate

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22974  (isolation #265)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:12 pm

panthaleon wrote:Man I guess I should have just stayed in the closet and kept going to church. I would probably have been happier overall.

I mean I guess or I would have killed myself. But Persivul found a study and Persivul is way smarter than all of us so idk what to believe.
If he got just one more "my kid is special" accolade to validate his parents' decision to put down the coat hanger he might have been able to get the difference between correlation and causation

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22980  (isolation #266)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Just troll to play devil's advocate and say so 5 pages later

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #22988  (isolation #267)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:33 pm

In post 22985, chamber wrote:
In post 22967, Persivul wrote:Earlier when asked about advice I advocated religion and traditional values. That isn't just based on my own experience. Studies show that the religious are happier than the non- religious; marrieds are happier than singles; conservatives are happier than liberals. It seems that some traditional values became traditional because they actually work at making people happy.

You should be careful about confusing correlation and causation. There are plausible reasons to believe that the community aspect of religion does help people. On the other hand, those who hold the conservative position tend to do so because the status quo benefits them, of course they'd have reason to be happier? I also imagine it's easier to maintain a marriage when you are otherwise happy. I don't think it's all a given in those cases which is causing which.

The priests ripping assholes are probabaly a lot happier than the victims too young/scared to voice their emotions

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23005  (isolation #268)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm

In post 23001, Equinox wrote:Oh, God, are people not supposed to be troubled by inequality?

I wouldn't on moral grounds. Inequality is too tricky to define for that.

Today's consequences of it though? Yeah that's a moral problem.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23007  (isolation #269)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:55 pm

In post 23003, Dongempire wrote:I just want to play age of empires 2 for gods sake

Didn't we have this conversation already

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23016  (isolation #270)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:03 pm

In post 23013, kuribo wrote:
In post 23011, Persivul wrote:If you're all troubled by inequality, you could each post your income, and then the higher ups can gift what they need until you're all equal.

Yeah, didn't think you'd do that. Why not?

Boy that's a straw man fallacy and you know it.

"If you don't like injustice why don't you give away all your money?!"

I mean nevermind that Christ commanded the wealthy to do exactly that

The problem isn't inherent to the idea. It's that everyone "morally opposed" to it (read Persivul) gets to opt out, ruining it for everyone.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23021  (isolation #271)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Holy shit are you fucking stupid percy

I just argued against socialism and you're still trying to use it to own the libs because you got called out personally

You must have been so smart as a kid your brain outgrew your skull and flattened away all its contours

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23032  (isolation #272)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:20 pm

In post 22960, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 22957, Persivul wrote:
In post 22954, Flubbernugget wrote:Including the ones Persivul's livelihood depends on!

LOL - what are you on about? I'm in taxes.

Yes and how does your manager know how to bill your customer at a profitable and sustainable rate

Anyway I figured percy would actually respond to this and he didn't (because thats what he does when he has to eat where he shits).

The answer to this is modeling. Economic theories and data points have to be used to predict optimal prices. And what's funny about these theories is the predictions they make are variable and volatile well past anything that's ever been proposed in climate science. And those optimizations are the crux of his salary. So he obviously believes in imprecise science when it's politically convenient for him.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23042  (isolation #273)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:31 pm

That just means they do it poorly and it still works!

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23043  (isolation #274)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Another point for intelligence and success not correlating as well :)

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23050  (isolation #275)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:36 pm

In post 23047, Persivul wrote:
In post 23042, Flubbernugget wrote:That just means they do it poorly and it still works!

For us it does. Plenty of businesses go under.

Yes you can be dumb with the way you do things and not go under i just said this pls try to keep up

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23055  (isolation #276)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm

In post 23052, Inferno390 wrote:It's kind of crazy to me how you guys will bash Perc for his views on climate change, but when it comes to religion you're just as ignorant and arrogant.

You'll throw stuff at Perc all day for his poor views, but you fail to even consider that your take on religion is wrong.

Kind of mind boggling

You should probably make a stance on what parts of percy's religious beliefs you agree with because right now he's trying to argue conversion therapy isn't an issue and I'd really like to think you're above that

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23056  (isolation #277)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm

In post 23054, shaft.ed wrote:Not to derail the thread or anything but what the hell man
so many layers

This was in world politics already i think

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23072  (isolation #278)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:53 pm

In post 23065, Inferno390 wrote:
In post 23062, GreyICE wrote:
In post 23052, Inferno390 wrote:It's kind of crazy to me how you guys will bash Perc for his views on climate change, but when it comes to religion you're just as ignorant and arrogant.

You'll throw stuff at Perc all day for his poor views, but you fail to even consider that your take on religion is wrong.

Kind of mind boggling

Oh good, so there's tons of evidence and theory that explicitly support the existence of a Christian God, right? Not just "any deity" but a specifically Christian deity - not Zeus, not Ra, not the god of Islam, not Krishna or Buddha or whatever - but specifically a Christian God, who wrote a book called the Bible, which is absolute truth without falsehood or fallacy, and who sent down her son to save us from the sin she herself created?

Oh okay, there's no evidence whatsoever that points to YHVH being any more real than Zeus. Okay then. So how does Christianity do as a philosophy of living your life? We can look at its followers. We see child rapers, scam artists, extortionists, we see a history of violence that stretches back over a thousand years. We see them support slavery, support tyrants, support genocide, support oppression. We see them support every form of corruption and evil humans have ever come up with, and perpetrate many of these crimes. As a philosophy, it seems to have no value in improving people whatsoever.

So... what good is it? In what way does it compare to Climate Change - a real, measurable threat we face today? Well, unless you're saying that Christianity is also a real, measurable threat we face today.

Thank you for proving my point exactly.

There's nothing crass or offensive about this

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23075  (isolation #279)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm

Inferno I really, really don't like enabling some of the pot shots people like to make at religion here but if you're going to be a thiest you're going to have to tackle the contents of your literature head on.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23079  (isolation #280)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Justify your interpretations of the tragedies in the bible as not being inappropriate.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23083  (isolation #281)  » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Inferno390 wrote:The United States Police also has a reputation for shooting innocent people.
The United States also has a reputation for slavery and discrimination against minorities.
The United States also has a reputation for sending drone strikes into the Middle East and taking civilian lives.

That's kinda just a fact you have to deal with as an American.
How do you deal with it? Do you say it's wrong? That it needs to change?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23157  (isolation #282)  » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:25 am

Looks like you're doing well in age of empires dong

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23207  (isolation #283)  » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:41 pm

In post 23202, shaft.ed wrote:nobody could have predicted

I wonder how they calculated that. There was originally a lot of talk of businesses having to eat into profit margins to remain competitive (and stocks reflected this). Wonder what changed

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23211  (isolation #284)  » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:38 am

Tbf Atlantic City started dying after PA/Philly broke tbeir regional monopoly on gambling

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23213  (isolation #285)  » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 am

Took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that there were US forces holding a border to prevent a slaughter/genocide made possible by US arms

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23226  (isolation #286)  » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm

Still bothers me that invading the DNC's privacy is more criminal than invading citizens'

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23273  (isolation #287)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:03 am

I thought cohen got nabbed over stormy daniels stuff?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23279  (isolation #288)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

You can't excuse bad behavior either.

"I'm going to do something bad because someone else did bad" is wrong. "Why are you pointing fingers at someone else that also did some nad thing" is also wrong.

A nice takeaway from the Russian interference would be something along the lines of "you don't like what's going on with your elections now? With this in mind, imagine if the person you voted for got beheaded on their first day in office. Scary right? Maybe we should have a bigger conversation about how we enable this in other countries while we work to preserve the sanctity of our own elections."

Also of importance is that the significance of the interference right now is in principle over catastrophic consequences. There's a lot of talk about interference without really trying to objectively analyze its effects, and it's allowing a lot of piss poor candidates to slip their way up the ranks of the DNC for us to risk settling for in the general election.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23281  (isolation #289)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:12 am

In post 23278, Fluminator wrote:It was more than Obama telling people to vote Trudeau. There's tons of American funding in Canadian elections.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... rt-alleges

It beats being violently regime changed like what happens in a lot of countries.

I'm skeptical of any American government sources against Russia tbh. Historically they've lied too much about countries they see as problematic to American imperialism. And stuff like "they're manipulating Trump to make geopolitically favourable decisions for them" just sounds a little weird. I'm sure they are trying to get good deals.

I don't think Putin is a good guy but the way Russia is being used to discredit people with little evidence over something America does anyway just strikes me as weird.

Obama did this in Israel too in an attempt to oust Netanyahu.

Also of note is that part of the Syria clusterfuck started with Obama trying to force Erdogan to resign.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23288  (isolation #290)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am

In post 23282, Dongempire wrote:Wait what?

What do you mean by "part of the syria clusterfuck"? Thats the first time i heard something like obama doing that.

Sorry, it was Assad, not Erdogan.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Syria

Obama's refusal to directly arm or train Syrian rebels prior to 2013, and his rejection of a 2012 outline for "CIA intervention in Syria" suggested by "then-CIA Director" David Petraeus was motivated by his own belief that past instances of the CIA supporting insurgencies rarely "worked out well." The program he ultimately approved was designed not to give the rebels enough support to achieve victory, but rather to engineer a stalemate that would encourage a negotiated resolution of the Syrian Civil War—which U.S. officials envisioned as including the resignation of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

This is in addition to sending the troops to Syria (I think) Trurp withdrew.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23294  (isolation #291)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:45 am

In post 23290, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 23276, panthaleon wrote:attacking DNC systems

I'd argue the RNC attacks were more important

Actually interested in the full take on this

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23295  (isolation #292)  » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 am

Absolutely amazing how much slander on snowden stuck

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23432  (isolation #293)  » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:19 am

I'm missing the significance of this. Aren't political figures paid to speak at campuses all the time?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23434  (isolation #294)  » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:37 am

Obama hit 7 figures for Rutgers iirc but a lot of that was for security

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23439  (isolation #295)  » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Man if I had a choice where my tuition went I would have needed a lot of barbeque sauce

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23502  (isolation #296)  » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:49 pm

In post 23497, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 23495, panthaleon wrote:I mean I wouldn't be shocked to see Trump supporters redouble their support
i mean that's why the polls are going up
they love being martyrs

Makes me wonder if Clinton's impeachment hearings bumped his approval over the nature of the articles or just raw partisanship (or what combination of both)

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23503  (isolation #297)  » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Nixon's approval was on a gradual decline for the most part iirc

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23518  (isolation #298)  » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 am

In post 23516, shaft.ed wrote:

Would make sense to subpoena the bidens by this argument

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23522  (isolation #299)  » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm

In post 23519, shaft.ed wrote:the Bidens are irrelevant to the impeachment inquiry

Agreed

Which is part of why "you should show up if you have nothing to hide" is a bad argument

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23524  (isolation #300)  » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:33 pm

The Republicans absolutely would subpoena Biden if the house let them (why else would they keep bringing it up during the hearings?). It would be the same shitshow as the Clinton hearings where any crimes they actually tried to lock him away over would set a precedent to end up with half the damn Congress removed. So they'd just scream into the wind to try and direct votes via smears.

Maybe it's not worth trying to reduce to absurdity so at a more base level: "you have nothing to hide" is shit cops say to intimidate people into complying with otherwise illegal searches, and shit google says to turn the US into a surveillance state. Not a good idea to accept it as fact to get another own on Trump.

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23527  (isolation #301)  » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Not willing to call it a problem if the solution is authoritarian talking points

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23626  (isolation #302)  » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm

In post 23624, rb wrote:they also hacked a US government website and left it with a message stating that they would not capitulate no matter what, and that they will continue supporting their allies in the region

This was never confirmed to be the Iranian govt and it would have been strategically stupid to flash a warning on a library site instead of going after something of much higher value yet likely to be equally fortified

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23668  (isolation #303)  » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:08 pm

In post 23663, panthaleon wrote:"Democrats are going to be accused of being bad so they should just be bad" is morally fraught.

This sounds like FDR packing the courts or how LBJ had his civil rights negotiations

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23712  (isolation #304)  » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:14 am

In post 23709, shaft.ed wrote:but she's a cop!

Opposing shitting on the constitution is good

Arresting mothers because they can't get their kids to school is bad

This is not hard to process

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23796  (isolation #305)  » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 am

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23944  (isolation #306)  » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:42 am

You can hate all you want

Disinfectants can kill cancer if you really think about it

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #23982  (isolation #307)  » Mon May 18, 2020 1:16 pm

...at least it was to allies this time?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24022  (isolation #308)  » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:31 pm

well maybe if you played more 4D chess you'd know how to signal jam a billy club

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24065  (isolation #309)  » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am

What do you even do in this case? Sanctions?

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24070  (isolation #310)  » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:28 am

Good read (from what I had the time to go through)

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24492  (isolation #311)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:25 pm

In post 24480, NoPowerOverMe wrote:I would argue that the american political climate moved to the left between the Regan/Bush and Clinton years.

you're off your damned rocker

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24497  (isolation #312)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:28 pm

In post 24493, NoPowerOverMe wrote:I love that you don't actually have an argument besides name calling.

you are so ignorant of how clinton campaigned there's nothing to actually argue with

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24499  (isolation #313)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm

you see when the gubermint put the frickin lazers on the moon that was the socialisms

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24511  (isolation #314)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:39 pm

In post 24505, OkaPoka wrote:its more that npom relabels the "moderate" position to the winning position

which is how you get people who are extremist or moderate compared to other people

because h.w. won, he became "moderate"

and then clinton beat h.w. therefore clinton is now "moderate" and bush is now "extreme"

i have no idea why this way of defining things is helpful however

it's a tactic from pundits to normalize extremism

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24538  (isolation #315)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:14 pm

In post 24531, NoPowerOverMe wrote:Obama was to the center of Romney?

Romney, battleworn and beaten: but...how???

Obama: I was inside of you this whole time

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24567  (isolation #316)  » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:53 pm

In post 24560, Psyche wrote:
In post 24491, NoPowerOverMe wrote:
In post 24489, OkaPoka wrote:npom is basically describing the overton window effect

Very good, I was not aware of this term.

he doesn't know much poli sci let's stop holding him to that standard maybe?

Ugh this is probably fair. There's an entire media campaign around conflating centrism with electability

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24589  (isolation #317)  » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:32 pm

Gotta keep your eyes peeled on those blue checkmarks

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24634  (isolation #318)  » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Some republican depth on the issue

Flubbernugget
Survivor

Post Post #24643  (isolation #319)  » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:52 pm

It's not inevitable but dems were pretty okay with the idea of dissapearing people as long as it was the military doing it

Previous
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion