Individual-1 (Donald Trump)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14766  (isolation #0)  » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 pm

I'd do it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14854  (isolation #1)  » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:39 am

Tell them it's used in vaccines and they'll take the learning disabilities seriously

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15461  (isolation #2)  » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:20 am

In post 15460, Kublai Khan wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/04/20/trump-owns-250m-condos-and-you-could-buy-one/100566302/

I can't imagine how loud the howling would be if a democrat were as tenth as corrupt as Trump appears to be.

I want to quote the pertinent parts to save people time, but goddamn. Foreign governments are buying a hell of a lot of Trump property using shell companies. And Trump is still the full beneficiary of his business and can withdraw money anytime. Plus we don't know his real net worth because he won't release anything like tax returns.

BUT HEY QATAR DONATED TO A CHARITY THAT HILLARY SERVED ON THE BOARD OF.

Not expecting any pro-Trumpers to comment on this.

government is where you go to make a small fortune

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15462  (isolation #3)  » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:25 am

In post 15461, Sesq wrote:i think part of the reason trumps corruption was not represented is because everyone was too busy calling him a sexist racist and then his supporters are like "no he aint haha take that liberal" and then this stuff wasnt brought up enough

with hillary tho her MAIN thing was corruption

i wonder who actually is more corrupt tho

I do find it interesting that the DNC only pushed things that liberals cared about instead of pushing bipartisan smears

Just goes to show how far a heap of jackasses with good connections can get

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15673  (isolation #4)  » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

In post 15619, Psyche wrote:duckworth doesn't seem particularly formidable but i'm not too picky it just had better not be someone like cory booker

I only know about the pharmaceutical thing

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15674  (isolation #5)  » Fri May 19, 2017 2:32 pm

In post 15668, pisskop wrote:The specific addition of gender is not a problem, unless you dislike the idea of gender as a distinct entity from sexual orientation.

I don't think I've ever once heard the two being considered the same

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15788  (isolation #6)  » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:21 pm

I find it interesting how certain sexualities tend to line up with the black and white morals/ideals common in mainstream media (particularly "true love").

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16081  (isolation #7)  » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Use duckduckgo and come up with a less lazy excuse next time

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16248  (isolation #8)  » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 am

So my current understanding of the situation is that "Trump had ties with Russia to expose Clinton's ties with Russia" but the latter part presumably failed?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16250  (isolation #9)  » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 am

Where do you belive the lie is?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16263  (isolation #10)  » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 am

If I'm understanding that correctly it makes the Kaspersky ordeal a lot more frightening

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16292  (isolation #11)  » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 pm

In post 16288, GreyICE wrote:
In post 16286, T-Bone wrote:I know what you wrote, which was a big dismissal of what I wrote. I get it. You're saying GOP = literally criminals and Dems = not criminals. Loud and clear.

But, I was making a nuanced statement about the political party machine.

I mean no, you weren't. "They're both the same" isn't nuanced, it's wrong.

What you wrote was "both major parties are about win at all costs" and that contains not a shred of nuance. It's just stupidity. I'm honestly tired of it. The viewpoint that "everything is the same" isn't indicative of some sort of mature philosophy, it's indicative that you haven't put in the legwork to figure out why things are different and are trying to pass off your laziness as a virtue.

Both parties have politicians with noses

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16328  (isolation #12)  » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 pm

So I saw GWAR today

No points for guessing what they did at the end of the show

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16344  (isolation #13)  » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 am

Let's think about why I posted it in this thread of all places

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16361  (isolation #14)  » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

In post 16347, Panzerjager wrote:GWAR is still worth seeing now that the lead dude is dead?

Yes

They fit brockie's death into their lore too

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16399  (isolation #15)  » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm out of the loop

What is the relation between manning's leak and their being trans?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16402  (isolation #16)  » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:04 pm

As in, she leaked docs because of her mental state?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16417  (isolation #17)  » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:27 am

Except he did?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16484  (isolation #18)  » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:54 am

I'm pretty sure seeing things as strictly win/lose is really fucking dumb

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16504  (isolation #19)  » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:19 am

Slightly off topic but I'd be interested to see how the defense budget statistics are calculated. The US may spend more than other countries up front, but I don't know if that accounts for returns on exported weaponry or benefits like healthcare and education that other countries fund through different means.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16508  (isolation #20)  » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:03 am

Government is where you go to make a small fortune

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16527  (isolation #21)  » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:38 pm

I honestly thought between the trans ban and Charlottesville blind patriotism was going to be on the rise but I'm glad I'm wrong

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16541  (isolation #22)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 am

Antifa was a significantly bigger deal in rightward media after Charlottesville so even if "violence is always bad" is a valid argument, it's not being argued in good faith

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16542  (isolation #23)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:02 am

If "the media" is telling you the wrong narrative where exactly are you getting the correct one from?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16609  (isolation #24)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:37 pm

If I had to take a guess I'd say 10% of the people that say it's okay to punch nazis would actually do it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16611  (isolation #25)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 pm

Didn't event think to factor that in

Sooo 5%??

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16613  (isolation #26)  » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Commknight isn't in a media circle

It's actually just an ellipse with the foci in the same spot

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16677  (isolation #27)  » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:35 am

In post 16661, CommKnight wrote:Nice input GreyICE, good conversation. "kid or nutjob" is what you say toward someone who says they believe in something different from a system that isn't just two ends. It's not black and white.

If you actually cared about civility you wouldn't be so concerned with patting yourself on the back over trite posting

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16679  (isolation #28)  » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:41 am

Comm self announced he wasn't a conservative several times in thread but don't let that get in the way of your boohoo narritave buddy

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16681  (isolation #29)  » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:28 am

That makes sense

The boohoo narrative can still get fucked

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16705  (isolation #30)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:55 am

In post 16700, Davsto wrote:
In post 16699, Firebringer wrote:it would be like saying GreyIce represents the left.

shaaaaaade

If you look past his more colorful forms of expression he seems like a fair aggregate of liberal ideas to me

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16717  (isolation #31)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:23 pm

In post 16715, GreyICE wrote:It's a good reflection of their base. I mean look at this thread, RB, Firebringer, T S O, that's the combined intellectual prowess of a smelly fart.

Their base feels reassured when their representatives look like idiots, they're used to feeling like idiots. They know they're in good company. Did Milo's popularity decline after he looked like a fool? No. It only declined when it was revealed he thought there were times it was okay to diddle children.

Be nice to Firebringer

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16718  (isolation #32)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:27 pm

It would be nice if Jews were cool people outside of their utility in making nazis look bad

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16720  (isolation #33)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:39 pm

You do realize the US didn't actually give a fuck about Jews during the majority of WWII right?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16722  (isolation #34)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm saying that when people say stuff like "look at what the nazis did to the Jews it was so evil" its subtly rewriting history in unfair favor of the Allied powers.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16727  (isolation #35)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Shaziro, like the majority of my posting on MS, yes, it was sarcastic.

The way Jews are usually brought up in reference to nazis gives us an interesting insight into how war changes our political perceptions. Despite the wars we fight now being less bloody than WWII by significant margins, they're still (rightfully) unfavorable because there's no winning side to be on, and nobody has been liberated in a "clean" manner. If Al Quaeda or ISIS was closer to a regime than a network, and we were more willing to mow down countries to the likes of WWII (and again we should NOT be doing this), we would have been able to free their POW's, give them a label, and the Holocaust would be old news. It would still be just as evil, but people would care a lot less.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16729  (isolation #36)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Do we even have a name for when Russia did it?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16736  (isolation #37)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:20 pm

In post 16731, Shaziro wrote:Holodomor. There was literally a thread about this.

Was it in the SE? I don't currently have access there.

My point is that the holocaust is considered more heinous than other equally evil genocides because of a media portrayal of nazis as villains, which makes people act like they care about Jews a lot more than they really do.

And why is killing someone less heinous if you only(??) starve them?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16739  (isolation #38)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 pm

The victor writes history

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16742  (isolation #39)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:40 pm

So, the north won the war, was still racist, and then allowed a pro-racist history to be written?

Color me...shocked?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16745  (isolation #40)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:47 pm

In post 16744, Wraith wrote:But the victors write history

And Confederate history was written

uh oh

It's still downplayed that the north was still pretty racist. Look at the spin on the emancipation proclamation.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16747  (isolation #41)  » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:58 pm

An abstract means of killing someone is no less heinous than a direct means. It's just harder to pin a boogeyman to it. Is it really worth crying over those deaths when there's no bad guy to pin them to? If that's really how people grieved for others they didn't know, we probably wouldn't be arguing over an infrastructure built with precious metals harvested via slave labor.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16753  (isolation #42)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 am

So it's better to starve someone than directly kill them because it's okay when people die under the free market?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16755  (isolation #43)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:13 am

Jfc that was a rhetorical question

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16757  (isolation #44)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:22 am

I think ignorance is a bigger contributor to the mass murder than the ideology but that's tangential.

It's tough to worry about rightness and justice when saying nazis are bad is good enough for most people anyway.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16758  (isolation #45)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 am

The fact that the question was so blatantly contradictory was why it should have been obvious it was rhetorical

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16764  (isolation #46)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 am

Yeah, you're right. But I really just want this on record:

If one person pushes a button to kill 5 people

Another person pushes two buttons to kill 5 people

And three people push three buttons to kill 5 people

The double button pusher is less evil than the single button pusher and that makes me a republican

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16770  (isolation #47)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:09 am

I don't think you're stupid Firebringer

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16774  (isolation #48)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 am

It's been discussed before how much this site adores GreyICE so I'd take the vitriol with a grain of salt

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16793  (isolation #49)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 am

How do you bully people into being nice without running out of bullies and how does that even remotely apply to what just happened

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16798  (isolation #50)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:23 am

I don't know what ring psychology is but pop psychology is psychology without a scientific basis

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16807  (isolation #51)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:20 am

In post 16805, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 16775, Flubbernugget wrote:It's been discussed before how much this site adores GreyICE so I'd take the vitriol with a grain of salt

lol
can you please make this adoration list?

I thought I already did?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16810  (isolation #52)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:48 am

So...we should take GreyICE's insults seriously?

I'm confused

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16839  (isolation #53)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 pm

I kinda get where Psyche is going with how tangential your thoughts can get when you read bad writing

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16841  (isolation #54)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Do you guys think Regan would have beaten Trump in the republican primary

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16843  (isolation #55)  » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Refrigerator

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16871  (isolation #56)  » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:54 am

To be fair, the patching is a necessary evil, and win 10 licenses should fare better for consumers than the previous model

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16877  (isolation #57)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Are you an admin or a developer? If it's the latter someone else is probably digging though the woes of Unix land

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16880  (isolation #58)  » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Psyche wrote:i recently started using the windows subsystem for linux and man does it make dealing with mac and linux users so much easier
When I first heard about that it was introduced as "bash on windows", so I didn't expect stuff like the package manager or filesystem mounts. Somebody in lawyer land must have pulled the majority of their hair out to be able to use Ubuntu of all OS's for that.

Pedit: we already have a thread for nk nukes stay on topic

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16911  (isolation #59)  » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Too many implicit references, can't follow

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16975  (isolation #60)  » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Prog is good

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16989  (isolation #61)  » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:40 am

If you can attack his thoughts without him even being here, was he even worth talking to in the first place?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17089  (isolation #62)  » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Shea did you miss the "woman in office" joke the page before you got mad at cooldog

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17143  (isolation #63)  » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:41 pm

...that was left out of my philosophy class, holy fuck

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17157  (isolation #64)  » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:27 pm

In post 17145, rb wrote:Most people were racist back then, but the merit of their non-racist ideas can still be good to read.

That's fair. I guess I just expected the racism to be...softer than that?

Watered down history holy fuck :/

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17263  (isolation #65)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 am

In post 17252, TwoInAMillion wrote:they have a pistol and the shooter has an automatic rifle is all. Haven't you heard of the phrase don't bring a knife to a gun fight?

People really act like the gun stats from counter strike translate to real life

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17264  (isolation #66)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:30 am

For reference, the SAS consider two pistol rounds to be able to incapacitate a terrorist that may be armored or drugged up.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17265  (isolation #67)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 am

In post 17220, Sesq wrote:saw a bit on inflation control earlier

that said, how possible is it to increase wages without having such a knock on effect

The biggest one I know of is how competition manipulates product demand.

I'm being overly simplistic, but whether you have $0.10 workers or $100 workers your prices are going to skyrocket if you have a monopoly.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17266  (isolation #68)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:42 am

In post 17237, Panzerjager wrote:There were 4 Sheriffs deputies that hid outside behind their cars while the shooting was happening. Those deputies never went in the building apparently, even after PD arrived. Hopefully, the other three also are forced to resign.

This is news to me and something I am going to research. It's easy to forget in situations like this that the front lines are convinient scapegoats.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17277  (isolation #69)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm

In post 17272, Agent Sparkles wrote:
In post 17271, zoraster wrote:
In post 17265, Flubbernugget wrote:For reference, the SAS consider two pistol rounds to be able to incapacitate a terrorist that may be armored or drugged up.


Oh, I didn't realize that the guy who was stationed at Parkland was wearing assault gear and trained as part of an elite counter-terrorism force. I'm glad this comparison holds up!


:neutral:

Has nothing to do with the post. He's saying that a normal pistol would be enough even if the shooter was super prepared.

Even more important than this one police officer is that people need to critically think about the surrounding context within which a weapon becomes dangerous. Encumbrance is a huge factor in a lot of cases. I'd recon you'd get a lot more deaths from a handgun in the middle of Times Square than an assault rifle, which would take longer to remove from concealment.

If it weren't for the fact that the concept is often used as a dog whistle for the Republicans to sit on their hands, I'd argue that gun control would need to be mostly managed at the state, or even city level.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17285  (isolation #70)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:20 pm

I don't think it's foolproof, but there's ways around it. NJ police used to camp out in PA parking lots of fireworks shops for vehicles with NJ plates. They would follow them home and stop them after they went over the bridge.

It also gives more legal leverage to investigators, for those who say they aren't empowered enough for preventative measures.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17287  (isolation #71)  » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm well aware

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17371  (isolation #72)  » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:29 am

In post 17314, Thestatusquo wrote:The reason she lost was because the system in this country is set up in such a way that it advantages the desires of the few over the desires of the many.

Fwiw I don't think this was the original intent of the electoral college

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17381  (isolation #73)  » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am

On a less cynical note, let's say that a liberal presidential candidate pushes a massive pro-green campaign that involves EU-esque gas taxes. They only campaign in densely populated areas. That's great for the environment, but could absolutely destroy a lot of rural areas where public transportation may not be feasible. I don't think saying "well they're not the majority" is a fair assessment there.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17395  (isolation #74)  » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:58 pm

In post 17383, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 17382, Flubbernugget wrote:On a less cynical note, let's say that a liberal presidential candidate pushes a massive pro-green campaign that involves EU-esque gas taxes. They only campaign in densely populated areas. That's great for the environment, but could absolutely destroy a lot of rural areas where public transportation may not be feasible. I don't think saying "well they're not the majority" is a fair assessment there.

Gas is relatively underpriced economically speaking.

I'm not saying it's unreasonable to fix that issue. I'm saying it's unreasonable to do so recklessly to a large number of people on the basis of them not being the majority.

I'm well aware that the senate/house dynamic is based on this issue. I've never understood the sentiment that any other system that may reflect this is unfair, however.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17565  (isolation #75)  » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:05 pm

In post 17563, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 17561, Psyche wrote:if you’re trying to understand the thought processes of these trump supporters criticizing trump, you probably want to begin with their assumption that he’s acting in good faith

The only reason they don't recognize that Trump (and his administration) lie like crazy is because liberals point out the lies. Who are liberals? Why anyone who points out Trump's lies of course.

This is a literal contradiction to the previous post you wrote

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17573  (isolation #76)  » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm

In post 17529, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 17527, Majiffy wrote:While it sounds great in theory that would likely stagnate innovation in a number of industries for years as those top earners are generally the investors in new tech / businesses, etc

you know the government used to do that
NASA and all that jazz developed tons of tech

VC tech investors are now lighting money on fire for driveless cars, subsidizing illegal underpaid taxis, paying for wannabe Steve Jobs' fake blood machine, and old fruit in a bag.

but OHNO don't take precious money from the job creators

The million dollar pen trope comes to mind here.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17577  (isolation #77)  » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:12 am

In post 17576, GreyICE wrote:Would that be the space pen, and include R&D costs? You know, the one designed to work absent gravity, in a way no pen had ever before functioned?

Probabaly? I said "trope" because that whole ordeal is plagued with enough hyperbole to be a borderline myth.

For a more concrete example, most computer virus outbreaks from about last year onward have been the result of an NSA R&D effort. Not to mention the massive carbon footprint their surveillance efforts involve.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17584  (isolation #78)  » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:38 pm


Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17585  (isolation #79)  » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:42 pm

In post 17579, shaft.ed wrote:I'd argue private tech is actually much better at being a surveillance state than the state is

I agree. The overarching issue is that throwing large sums of money at a problem tends to get bad results through heavy handed incompetence.

On a side note, I definitely think that Facebook/Google are more susceptible to the dollar vote philosophy than an ISP, Oil Company, or Hospital, etc.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17589  (isolation #80)  » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm

In post 17588, GreyICE wrote:
In post 17585, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 17580, GreyICE wrote:Uh... source?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/EternalBlue

That's one vulnerability. I don't see as how "most computer virus outbreaks from about last year onward have been the result of an NSA R&D effort" follows.

Wanacry and NotPetya are literally linked in the first paragraph of that article

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17651  (isolation #81)  » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 am

In post 17648, Kublai Khan wrote:Apparently "Sleepy Eyes" has been his nickname for Chuck Todd (who is Jewish) for tweets going back to 2013.

It's a pretty strong dog whistle. Another one.

I've never really got this. I understand that Jews were "spotted" in Nazi Germany by their eyes, but the characteristics they were looking for would have been more awake than sleepy.

For an actual fun one you can find the speech he gave at a Jewish republican convention. Something along the lines of "I'm a negotiator just like you guys!"

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17748  (isolation #82)  » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Without any idea of who this gentleman is, I am going to go out on a limb and assume he was really bad at his job anyway.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17749  (isolation #83)  » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Not saying that removing the role is good btw, but I am saying this really shouldn't be the tipping point of concern for cybersecurity.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #17751  (isolation #84)  » Wed May 16, 2018 5:56 am

Oh, I knew who he was. I meant the cybersecurity coordinator.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #18635  (isolation #85)  » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am

Don't we already have npr?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19616  (isolation #86)  » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:24 pm

That whole paragraph is the most vacuous statement I've ever seen

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19619  (isolation #87)  » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:33 pm

What happens when a white person and a black person share opinions?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19627  (isolation #88)  » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:48 pm

In post 19621, YellowSnow wrote:
In post 19620, Flubbernugget wrote:What happens when a white person and a black person share opinions?


We live in a brave new world.

This is fucking garbage.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19803  (isolation #89)  » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:53 pm

In post 19802, Kublai Khan wrote:One Representative having issues with how the Isreali government operates isn't going to "destroy the Jews".

It's really not that hard to do this without playing into stereotypes

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19804  (isolation #90)  » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:54 pm

In post 19795, GrandWazoo wrote:Alienating a powerful moneyed constituency is batshit and how you get more Trump.

Oh fuck it never mind

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19805  (isolation #91)  » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm

In post 19792, Ginngie wrote:I forget, isn’t the whole issue two countries think they own the same place and say they deserve it because of the man in the Sky

Theres a myriad of social and economic issues causing the conflict outside of religion but trying to simplify it all down to this one point shows for the millionth time that ignorance comes before religious beliefs.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19855  (isolation #92)  » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm

In post 19844, Kublai Khan wrote:Someone who is a community leader among the Jews, like maybe a rabbi?

No

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19857  (isolation #93)  » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Yes

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19858  (isolation #94)  » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Im being an ass for my own guilty pleasure but can explain later

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19864  (isolation #95)  » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:12 pm

In post 19857, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 19856, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 19844, Kublai Khan wrote:Someone who is a community leader among the Jews, like maybe a rabbi?

No

No?

Okay.

Jews are not a single unified community one leader can speak for. There's at least 5 ways off the top of my head that the populations are subgrouped and there's a lot of unclean overlap between them. At least one of those groups has a very strong preference towards individualism, which is extremely difficult for a unified leader to speak on behalf of.

Ultimately any time Jews get mentioned in politics they're going to get cherry picked to push a narrative.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19868  (isolation #96)  » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:38 pm

In post 19866, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 19865, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 19857, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 19856, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 19844, Kublai Khan wrote:Someone who is a community leader among the Jews, like maybe a rabbi?

No

No?

Okay.

Jews are not a single unified community one leader can speak for. There's at least 5 ways off the top of my head that the populations are subgrouped and there's a lot of unclean overlap between them. At least one of those groups has a very strong preference towards individualism, which is extremely difficult for a unified leader to speak on behalf of.

Ultimately any time Jews get mentioned in politics they're going to get cherry picked to push a narrative.

So what you're saying is that Rabbis aren't leaders among any type of Jewish community.

They are. And they get cherry picked. Like I literally just said.

Someone leading my community doesn't mean they get to speak for me either

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19869  (isolation #97)  » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:39 pm

In post 19867, Psyche wrote:maybe polls are a better idea

This should really be unanimously and stupidly obvious

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19872  (isolation #98)  » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:26 pm

It's not "how dare you." It was good intentions that I thought were misguided. Branching off what Psyche said, polling data with a small set of interviews (maybe even with a rabbi, and isn't this pretty standard fare for an article?) are probably better than the NYPost article or only asking a rabbi. It sounds like we both agree on this, though.

And I have no clue what was going on w/ that ableist thing fwiw.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19914  (isolation #99)  » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I think dems are more susceptible to NIMBY than you're giving them credit for (though this deff could have been handled better)

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19917  (isolation #100)  » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:33 pm

You've got way too much time to be finding stuff like that dude

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19921  (isolation #101)  » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:26 am

In post 19919, Ginngie wrote:Or he just knows some French words and made a joke lmao

Don't you think that "this guy is an idiot and it's terrifying" loses its agency when it's right next to "I can almost call him a poopyhead in french if I squint hard enough"???

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19996  (isolation #102)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:17 pm

The Intercept is pretty good factwise afaict, but they claim they're not mainstream, and some of their left slant is really crappy

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19997  (isolation #103)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 pm


Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19998  (isolation #104)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I think "factual" is always going to push towards the center simply because facts aren't supposed to be biased. You can obviously cherry pick info, but I think you can only really start to lean left/right, and anything further is going to have dishonesty associated with the slant. Idk how op-eds fit into all of this though.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20000  (isolation #105)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm

Thought that dude was an outlier on the journal as a whole

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20002  (isolation #106)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

In post 20001, Kublai Khan wrote:Possibly, but I'm not sure how because no left lobby seems particularly powerful at the moment.

Dems have been getting really good at "laundering" their donations (see the corporate PAC pledges in the 2018 wave). Makes it pretty difficult to track and quantify this kind of thing

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20003  (isolation #107)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Dems also tend to be a lot more friendly with universities than I'm also comfortable with (dunno how much of this constitutes lobbying though either by name or intent)

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20005  (isolation #108)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Doesnt matter because they can get the same money from the same people via proxies, avoiding the "corporate PAC" definition. That's why I don't know how to do tit for tat comparisons.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20006  (isolation #109)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:13 pm

I might be overloading the word pledge on accident.

A large swath of Dems rejected and are rejecting donations from corporate PAC's (my house rep swore it off a bunch in their 2018 campaign) and getting the same corp money from other means.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20008  (isolation #110)  » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:55 pm


Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20072  (isolation #111)  » Fri May 03, 2019 11:21 am

In my experience you can get people to accept sentience is a gray area in pretty much any manner until abortion is brought up.

It doesn't help that at least from being in a liberal echo chamber that a lot of the argument is about fighting things well outside of any gray area

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20075  (isolation #112)  » Fri May 03, 2019 11:38 am

Meh,

If you're gonna smack a baby on its ass its because you expect it to cry in response

That's kinda besides my point tho

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20087  (isolation #113)  » Fri May 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Have you seen aborting miscarriages spun as killing babies, flum?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20181  (isolation #114)  » Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm

Hey inferno,

To branch off Implosion's point, try thinking about homonyms with deceptively similar meanings outside of the abortion context.

"Time" is a pretty good example of this. "What's the time?" Implies time is a single point or instance, eg 3:62 PM. "How much time did that take?" Implies a change in or span of time, eg 35 minutes. If someone asks "What's the time?" and you say 35 minutes people are going to look at you weird. That's what's happening right now wrt the words "human," "person," and probabaly a few in the argument I'm not keeping track of.

Relating to your logic model, your step 'Z is X' is a false equivalency on these grounds. I don't know why people are being so dismissive about this. Formal logic is extremely difficult to get right.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20187  (isolation #115)  » Sun May 05, 2019 6:54 pm

In post 20183, implosion wrote:
In post 20181, Flubbernugget wrote:time is a single point or instance, eg 3:62 PM.

:shifty:

I'm not fixing it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20197  (isolation #116)  » Mon May 06, 2019 9:28 am

Niche?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20233  (isolation #117)  » Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 pm

In post 20221, Fluminator wrote:I think America is a large reason why North Korea feels trapped and isolated.

The only argument I can think for this is that the US should have foot the bill when they stoped getting USSR subsidies because containment cold war bullshit is stupid. I'm super critical of US foreign policy but I can't even straight face this one.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20253  (isolation #118)  » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Hmmmm

I wonder what that could have done to him in 2016

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20260  (isolation #119)  » Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am

Definitely a broken tax system, but I think the only fraud the article mentioned was something his father did unrelated to the returns?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20261  (isolation #120)  » Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am

Oh, I misread that.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20262  (isolation #121)  » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 am

Even reading the tweets now I'm missing where the fraud comes in. He wrote the losses because his property kept going down in value. Knowing Trump, it's pretty likely he just mismanaged the property and took losses over it as opposed to managing his property competently and then lying about it.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20384  (isolation #122)  » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I would be curious to see how many failed appropriation attempts there are compared to successful ones like pepe, ok, etc

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20441  (isolation #123)  » Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 am

Strictly anecdotal but people pointing out when white feelings take precedence over black lives has gotten the message across to me without taking it as a personal attack

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20469  (isolation #124)  » Wed May 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Lowkey hoping the roads fall apart to the point where trains become politically viable as the primary means of transportation

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20470  (isolation #125)  » Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Bonus points if all the amtrack trains spontaneously combust at some random point in time

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20474  (isolation #126)  » Wed May 22, 2019 2:26 pm

In post 20472, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 20469, Flubbernugget wrote:Lowkey hoping the roads fall apart to the point where trains become politically viable as the primary means of transportation

lol if you think the train tracks are in any better shape than the roads

Let that fall apart too and then pitch for bullet trains

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20475  (isolation #127)  » Wed May 22, 2019 2:27 pm

I WANT TO RIDE ACROSS THE COUNTRY ON A FUCKING RAILGUN DAMMIT

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20518  (isolation #128)  » Thu May 23, 2019 5:14 pm

In post 20514, Lycanfire wrote:We're talking about two different worlds, URAP. I don't want a future of exponential growth and numbers getting bigger. I do not have faith in capitalism driving technology past a curve where our present limitations can be damned. I'm at the end of my rope in giving the markets any more inches in controlling the carbon threat. I want an immediate paradigm shift towards people giving a shit about problems today.

Engineers are really good at using 110% of the resources allocated to them and I'm not sure that can be completely attributed to capitalism

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20570  (isolation #129)  » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:31 pm

"the media"

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20583  (isolation #130)  » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 am

In post 20579, Psyche wrote:it's not true that most americans benefited from the tax cuts
even if their paychecks were a bit fatter because of the cuts, tax cuts - like tax increases! - have trade-offs whose net utility can be measured and added up

Not to mention a lot of deductions got slashed iirc

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20628  (isolation #131)  » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:22 pm

To own the libs presumably

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20732  (isolation #132)  » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 pm

In post 20714, Persivul wrote:If you were actually using paragraphs and punctuation and such, maybe I'd be able to break it down.

Lmao stop blaming others and learn to read.

There's plenty of people who write semantic/syntactic messes on this site but psyche isn't one of them

Congrats on showing how intelligence doesn't follow success tho

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20738  (isolation #133)  » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Use your locus of control to get over it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20746  (isolation #134)  » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm

You didn't srike a nerve. You just demonstrated that it's reasonable to act based on the fact that some things cannot be manipulated or changed via will. You can't will yourself to stay temprate against harassment so you elected to leave.

Let other people act on the things out of their control too.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #20812  (isolation #135)  » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am

In post 20807, N wrote:
In post 20791, shaft.ed wrote:and his poll numbers wouldn't have dropped down from their highest point in ages (ever?) after doing racist shit as his poll numbers consistently drop after he performs overt acts of racism.

this worries me. if trump's poll numbers go down after he says something racist, doesn't that just show that people don't want to be seen supporting a racist and in the privacy of a polling booth will still vote for the racist?

Are polls not private?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21001  (isolation #136)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:44 pm

In post 20988, Fluminator wrote:Millenials are actually the worst generation ever. We are so screwed when we start running the world.

Pushing the dnc left on climate change was a hell of a gaffe

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21084  (isolation #137)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:27 pm

In post 21066, Kublai Khan wrote:math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving

Hard disagree, and this excess trust in math is how you get Ben Shaprio styled rhetoric

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21087  (isolation #138)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 pm

There's a sliver of truth to chennisden's gripe with math. Up to and even past high school, math is memorized a lot more than it is studied. And yeah, the majority of it is useless.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21097  (isolation #139)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:45 pm

In post 21085, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 21084, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21066, Kublai Khan wrote:math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving

Hard disagree, and this excess trust in math is how you get Ben Shaprio styled rhetoric

Huh. Would you mind explaining?

There's two common ways to define logic, a mathematical sense, and a literary sense. The mathematical sense requires baseless assumptions to do anything, and the literary sense usually ends up in some circular or unknown definition (a logical argument is a reasonable one. What is reasonable?). It also allows for a *lot* more subjectivity in chaining arguments together. Things can get even messier if you look at how most math textbooks define a proof; it's usually just a "reasonable" argument.

I'm handwaving a *lot* of stuff here but the basic idea still holds.

Even simpler: if math held an applicable objective truth, Philosophers would have no need to debate so much epistimology. They would just be able to point to math as a trivial solution to their questions.

Ultimately, math is a tool, and it's subjective as to when to use it in a way that is never really taught until *late* into a college education, if ever. Because people treat math like an objective truth without knowing how to apply it, you get stuff like "owning the liberals with logic and reason," and it's really hard to explain in a sound byte why that's full of crap.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21108  (isolation #140)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:10 pm

In post 21099, chennisden wrote:i disagree with the majority of your points.

- axioms aren't baseless. they're obvious and that's what they're supposed to be.
- up until a certain point, there's no reason to actually define a proof. a proof is incorrigible, not "reasonable."
- the basic idea doesn't hold.
- math requires the assumption or relevance of certain axioms. in philosophy for example, the idea that two points make a line is... irrelevant?
- what does math being "an objective truth" mean???

math is based on a set of rules

and the rules have to be (1) agreed on and (2) relevant

Let's break this down.

Point me to some "obvious" axioms and I can show you a branch of mathematics that disregards them.

How do you know a proof can't be corrected?

The fact that you acknowledge philosophy disregards math shows that there's a breakdown somewhere between math and knowledge.

"objective truth" (at least for my purposes) means it's true in all contexts. It's usually opposed to relative truth, where things can only be known in relation to other truths.

Even when the rules of math are agreed on (not always the case!), relevant is still subjective.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21110  (isolation #141)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 pm

In post 21103, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 21097, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21085, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 21084, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21066, Kublai Khan wrote:math forms the base of all logical thought and problem solving

Hard disagree, and this excess trust in math is how you get Ben Shaprio styled rhetoric

Huh. Would you mind explaining?

There's two common ways to define logic, a mathematical sense, and a literary sense. The mathematical sense requires baseless assumptions to do anything, and the literary sense usually ends up in some circular or unknown definition (a logical argument is a reasonable one. What is reasonable?). It also allows for a *lot* more subjectivity in chaining arguments together. Things can get even messier if you look at how most math textbooks define a proof; it's usually just a "reasonable" argument.

I'm handwaving a *lot* of stuff here but the basic idea still holds.

Even simpler: if math held an applicable objective truth, Philosophers would have no need to debate so much epistimology. They would just be able to point to math as a trivial solution to their questions.

Ultimately, math is a tool, and it's subjective as to when to use it in a way that is never really taught until *late* into a college education, if ever. Because people treat math like an objective truth without knowing how to apply it, you get stuff like "owning the liberals with logic and reason," and it's really hard to explain in a sound byte why that's full of crap.

I think you're hand-waving too much as I don't think I get your point.

I mean, something like the Earth being a sphere (yes, oblate spheroid) is an example of a objective truth thanks to math. That was first calculated almost 2000 years ago. Lack of understanding of math and believing that the senses provide a greater truth than math gives us the modern "flat-Earth" movement.

Now that you have this information, how do you use math to figure out what to do with it?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21113  (isolation #142)  » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:18 pm

In post 21111, chennisden wrote:math isn't the correct solution to not being able to digest certain information.

nor is it the correct way to digest a lot of information.

Yeah, this was my point

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21128  (isolation #143)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:23 am

In post 21121, T-Bone wrote:Sorry, my cohort and the cohorts around me were better at math and writing skills.

Did you have to write five paragraph essays? Those things made me fucking dumb

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21129  (isolation #144)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:27 am

Not to say writing isnt important, but it's worthless when it's that standardized, and that's the only thing kids are taught. I didn't learn how a news article was written until my final semester of college. Come on now. That's not complicated stuff. That's just witholding important things from kids that don't have money or the willingness to debt themselves into serfdom

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21131  (isolation #145)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:44 am

What the hell is that "real mathematicains stopped doing euclidean geometry ages ago" coming from? I can think of two open problems using it off the top of my head.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21134  (isolation #146)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:54 am

Trying to reduce the five axioms down to four.

Finding the probability of a continuous uniform random walk intersecting three times.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21137  (isolation #147)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:24 am

I used euclidian norms for single intersection

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21138  (isolation #148)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 am

Isn't most computational geometry euclidean?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21160  (isolation #149)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:54 am

In post 21140, kuribo wrote:
In post 21128, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21121, T-Bone wrote:Sorry, my cohort and the cohorts around me were better at math and writing skills.

Did you have to write five paragraph essays? Those things made me fucking dumb



Because you're learning the basic structures of language, not trying to produce Shakespeare

No but there's plenty of writing styles that aren't exquisite that get pushed to the side for five paragraph essays.

The aforementioned news articles, instructional writing, emails, cover letters, and I'm sure there's a lot more too.

Not to mention (at least when I was in school) that these essays were crafted to get a score on a rubric and nothing else. I remember being told never to address the opposition because you didn't want the grader to think about opposing arguments (making them lower your score), and if you write a lot, the grader might just skip over the essay and give you a good score to save time.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21234  (isolation #150)  » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

In post 21199, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 21197, Fluminator wrote:For the record I suspect that scientific study is garbage and biased, but I remember the last time someone posted a heavily biased study in favour of a liberal viewpoint here, and I doubted it, people came in saying I shouldn't doubt science and that people like me was why public opinion was moving against science in general.
So...

sure it's based off of a single data point essentially, I didn't check their significance values, I'd guess that'd be about a 1%-5% chance its noise

but i wouldn't be surprised if seeing the disgusting overt racism all over the place since Trump took over hasn't changed the perceptions of onlookers

I mean we just got this from the Republican party in Illinois

This is unacceptable but I could still see racism going "down" in light of it. Barack Hussein Obama was a muslim from kenya, remember?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21244  (isolation #151)  » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 am

There was no new information from it so, no shit?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21261  (isolation #152)  » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:03 pm

Maybe he'll get a list of antifa supporters in congress and the public will have an attention span of more than 50 years and oh wow I'm already too hopeful

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21277  (isolation #153)  » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm

I don't try to set conservatives up but I'm quick to be an ass to prove they can't take the snowflake horseshit they dish out

I'm a lot better outside of that realm though (there were a few garmr dogpiles I wasn't fond of)

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21304  (isolation #154)  » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:17 pm

Is living alone a luxury? Im looking to move out on my own and flipping between individual and household bumps me up by 25%-ish points

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21305  (isolation #155)  » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:19 pm

In post 21303, zoraster wrote:keep in mind that it's by age group. change it to 35-64, Equinox, and you'll see the top 5% is 498k in SF.

Mountain View, Sunnyvale, etc. are in their own geographic area with San Jose that is richer than SF.

This is still surprising because there's a lot of age discrimination in tech coupled with the high pay

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21338  (isolation #156)  » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

In post 21325, zoraster wrote:I think the law is pretty much a travesty, and I'm embarrassed the state is trying it.

Beats being spineless

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21342  (isolation #157)  » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 pm

Though yeah zor your concern is part of what I was getting at in the US pol thread when we were talking about disniformation. The options the Dems have to beat Trump have to play the way he plays, and that compromises the gov't and the country in unplesant ways.

Any power leveraged against the prez can be leveraged against the people.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21614  (isolation #158)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 pm

In post 21567, Panzerjager wrote:
In post 21560, Persivul wrote:
In post 21387, Panzerjager wrote:Healthcare + no guns, sign me up

If you guys really thought that Trump was a fascist dictator who intends to remain in power after 2024, you wouldn't want to take guns away.


So let me get this straight. Your plan in the face of autocracy is to fight the most well-funded military, as well as one of the most well-trained ones, with a militia armed with gunshow assault rifles? Good luck taking on an Oshkosh in your fucking Dodge Ram, dude. Imma emigrate.

This is how a lot of civil conflicts happen though. And the big guy doesn't always win.

The US turning it's army on itself at this kind of a scale would also be a diplomatic nightmare. That's why civil control is delegated to police.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21615  (isolation #159)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm more worried about disaster mercs "protecting" property like with Katrina than the military.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21616  (isolation #160)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 pm

In post 21573, chamber wrote:I think it's actually fair to say guerrilla warfare would be effective (it's been effective plenty of times vs the US army without the obvious moral issues that would exist in turning it against its own country). My question is why is his first thought that the most effective way to oppose a would be dictator trump is with physical force rather than politics.

When has a dictatorship ended w/o violence?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21617  (isolation #161)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm

In post 21575, Panzerjager wrote:1. When's the last time a militia of private citizens overthrew a government without military help(foreign or otherwise)? Is it never?

Pretty sure Lenin did this.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21618  (isolation #162)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:55 pm

In post 21592, Maruchan wrote:
In post 21560, Persivul wrote:
In post 21387, Panzerjager wrote:Healthcare + no guns, sign me up

If you guys really thought that Trump was a fascist dictator who intends to remain in power after 2024, you wouldn't want to take guns away.

We're not stupid enough to think a bunch of cowboys with guns can stand up to the armament of the US Militsry.

Invalidated point

Dude you've seen firsthand how fuckin broken all the cheif's shiny toys are

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21619  (isolation #163)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:56 pm

In post 21593, Psyche wrote:why are all you guys accepting persival's premise that trump's a fascist dictator who intends to remain in power after 2024...

Because he said he would do that?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21627  (isolation #164)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I dobut this is what menno had in mind, but isn't that *technically* legal in some cases of self defence/citizen's arrest/some third thing I probably saw in a Tumblr meme and then forgot that was the source?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21636  (isolation #165)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:10 pm

If anyone authorizes the killing of cops it's because the police started acting against their interest. And when the cops are gone in this context, you will be turned on.
Last edited by Flubbernugget on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21637  (isolation #166)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Like, it's just a stupid thing to say on so many different levels.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21639  (isolation #167)  » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:23 pm

What's really fucked is having to call 911 for health emergencies. Never ends well with psych health

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21706  (isolation #168)  » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:18 am

In post 21646, Zulfy wrote:
In post 21644, chamber wrote:
In post 21616, Flubbernugget wrote:
In post 21573, chamber wrote:I think it's actually fair to say guerrilla warfare would be effective (it's been effective plenty of times vs the US army without the obvious moral issues that would exist in turning it against its own country). My question is why is his first thought that the most effective way to oppose a would be dictator trump is with physical force rather than politics.

When has a dictatorship ended w/o violence?


Once it's actually a dictatorship? Probably never. Lots of moments before that.


Consider: Almost all of Latin America, Tunisia, the Eastern Bloc (sans Romania), Spain, Portugal, South Korea. Others maybe idk.

I didn't know Latin American revolutions were bloodless. I really only know about Haiti and I'm not 100% sure if that's considered Latin America.

No clue on Tunisia. I will look into it.

Eastern Bloc was the fall of the USSR right? That's fair.

When in Spain? I'm most familiar with them losing their empire, which was bloody.

South Korea? I really have to be missing something *big* here.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21708  (isolation #169)  » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 am

Oh wow. On my own accord I forgot about England too.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21762  (isolation #170)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 pm

I've never seen a conservative praise a use of the second amendment that was actually just

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21764  (isolation #171)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Saying it makes getting rid of it more viable

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21766  (isolation #172)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:54 pm

I dont

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21805  (isolation #173)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:00 pm

In post 21800, Panzerjager wrote:
In post 21797, Vijarada wrote:
Which brings up another interesting point: according to the amendment, you have a right to arms “in order to maintain a standing militia”.

although the quotation marks give the impression that this is a quote, it ain't.


The point still stands though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The guns are to serve as a well-regulated militia. So if you aren't in the national guard, should you have a gun?

I'm okay when guns are used in John Brown type stuff

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21807  (isolation #174)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:12 pm

The militia part is more important than the guns

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21820  (isolation #175)  » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:35 pm

In post 21815, Fluminator wrote:
In post 21808, Kublai Khan wrote:Trump called Jews who vote Democrat "disloyal".

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-je ... 67ed69c755

More fully, he said "I think it shows either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty.” which is a little different.

Nah

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21862  (isolation #176)  » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:40 am

In post 21857, Ginngie wrote:Why can i call someone a cunt and no one bats an eye, but when i explain how someone is wrong and tell them to not argue about things they haven’t researched, now it’s a problem?

Like i didn’t even insult him unless you count my tone being sassy

You're not being babysat and sometimes you're going to do bad things without recourse

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21925  (isolation #177)  » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:14 am

In post 21914, Fluminator wrote:I'm so confused what shafted is trying to accomplish every time he posts that?
The emails were bad.
And so are craploads of other things American politicians do.

You'd think a dude with a phd would be capable of thinking a little less...autonomously

At least he's still got his vote in good enough spots if worth nothing else

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21945  (isolation #178)  » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:07 pm

In post 21927, Kublai Khan wrote:Is this problem resolved for the next election? Or is the "liberal" media going to exaggerate the Democratic candidate's faults and downplay Trump's faults to make it seem like both sides are equal again? Probably fucking yes. And that's not good.

The media does try to play into a both sides rhetoric but that's not what happened with the email scandal. It's important not because of the immoralitly/illegality but because the leaks were timed with the general election.

If it wasn't emails there could have *very* easily been something else. Part of Hillary's ineptitude was her inability to weather last minute scandals (Trump was apparently able to do this fine with the Hollywood tapes so it's not an impossible goal).

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21949  (isolation #179)  » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:23 pm

It's not competence. It's her past track record of slander that she brought with her to the election and how it makes her flaws resonate.

This is something you'd actually agree with (because it's a point you've often brought up!) if you decided to stop resorting to snap jackassery every other time you post.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21951  (isolation #180)  » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:11 pm

There you go again. You're snipping quotes to make trite side points because you're more concerned about your precious meme than what I'm saying.

If you want to cry over the past then fine. Have fun being miserable and save me the tears for when I want something to drink.

Back in the reality that is the present we have bad people trying to do bad things using electability as a cover, and three word sob stories aren't pointing out the shitton of ways that can and will go wrong.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21953  (isolation #181)  » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Wikileaks wasn't until right before november (which is more critical than the preceding coverage) and if the media was *that* concerned about a horse race they wouldn't have reported on polling.

The bothsiderism is a facet of Fox+friends calling everything not them biased liberal propaganda.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21969  (isolation #182)  » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 pm

I don't remember

Say something that will make me argue with you for ten pages I need the distraction

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21971  (isolation #183)  » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Thank you for the assistance I really needed it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21973  (isolation #184)  » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Tempting

I have to find a good one

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21976  (isolation #185)  » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:24 pm

That one sounds slightly less than random

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21978  (isolation #186)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:22 am

I'm pretty sure I saw that one verbatim flipping through those on my own o.o

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21988  (isolation #187)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:09 pm

What federal vote does that not apply to? Sanders maybe?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21993  (isolation #188)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:30 pm

In post 21989, James Brafin wrote:There's a big difference between negotiation trying to get prisoners released and inviting people who want to kill you into your own home. Not that you'd admit it, but...
It mildly amuses me that you can't actually protect Trump, so you're trying to deflect it back onto Obama/Democrat administration. But nothing you say can hide that he is stupid, arrogant, bigoted, sexist, racist, vocally supportive of corrupt dictatorships, buddy-buddy with some of the most horrendous leaders of our time, a chronic liar, hateful, and mentally incapable of running this country the way it needs to be run. End of story.

I'm not protecting trump. You're right about everything he said. But I'm not going to let his atrocities lower the bar for our foreign policies.

The terrorism perpetuated by the taliban is awful, heinous, and an atrocity. But the problem with what Trump did (a very serious problem, I do not doubt that), is the direct conflict it has with US interests. It's not the terrorism.

Why is this distinction important? Because the US is dependent upon corrupt and immoral foreign policy involving terrorism, and has been since its inception. And there's no way to combat it without having a conversation about how the majority of Americans as a whole are going to have to face significant lifestyle changes if we actually want to address that. So when we talk about terrorism in a light that it's only commited against the US by the Taliban or ISIS, it gets very difficult for people to understand how serious our interactions with Venezuela in recent times were, why Marco Rubio's tweets on the matter were horrific, and what the situation could have turned into.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21994  (isolation #189)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:34 pm

In post 21990, SleepyKrew wrote:do you think that flub is a trump supporter

I phone post and is often makes what I'm saying terse. I shouldn't have to say "trump is bad" around this form like people need to be reminded of it.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21997  (isolation #190)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:14 pm

There's the European colonization of the Americas which involved an insane amount of enslaving and abuse of natives. This continued until it progressed into literal genocide including the trail of tears, and trying to erase native american culture as late as 1920 in the name of "civilizing" natives. Much of this was obviously violent, was committed by or with authorization of political elites to increase their economic (and therefore political) power, and the oppressed complied out of fear. The slave trade has similar elements of fear and power and ran parallel to the brunt of the native genocide. (Tangentially, the KKK were also terrorists, but there's not much foreign policy involved there.)

The only place I can't really think of foreign policy and terrorism coinciding are the civil war and reconstruction era. Maybe the Mexican-American war?

After that, there's big stick imperialism which was just before and roughly into WWI. WWIIs motivations are too controversial for me to want to go there but I invite you to look into why Japan wanted to bomb pearl harbor in the first place. Right after that containment begins and runs parallel to fun things like the invasions of Panama and (I think?) Grenada (and many more, too many for me to keep track of).

In modernt times, a lot of Iraq and Afghanistan aren't a product of foreign terrorism from the US, but western europe as a whole pulled a lot of greedy shit leaving the middle east in the state it is. There's also a case that Iraq was a political coercion from the US and Britian to install oil companies there (the initial invasion ran very close to Hussein authorizing oil sanctions worldwide).

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21998  (isolation #191)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 pm

What doesn't help is that terrorism is a pretty vague word for political reasons. It helps to think of it as violence to create intimidation for political gain. It's accurate, encompassing, and you can't make up rules and gotchas to say "well what I did technically isn't terrorism"

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21999  (isolation #192)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:41 pm

In post 21996, Fluminator wrote:The US is successful because it destroys/steals from the rest of the world basically.
I'm hardly oversimplifying it too.

Also this isn't strictly the US. I don't know of a single empire or superpower that has survived without doing this.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22005  (isolation #193)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:28 pm

They funded a Mujahideen to stifle a soviet invasion. Bin Laden was either leading it or a significant part of it.

Latin America is a really large blind spot in my history knowledge.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22007  (isolation #194)  » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm

Maybe. Ill look into it

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22013  (isolation #195)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:05 am

The fact that we created all these push factors is what makes the US awful

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22019  (isolation #196)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:47 am

In post 22014, Persivul wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_migration_rate

I'd say awful should be reserved for those countries in the negatives.

You talk right past what people say and then when when they don't take you seriously your feefees get hurt for three days until you come back and do the same thing over again. Doesn't it get tiring after a while?

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22024  (isolation #197)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am

Tough shit snowflake I'm talking to you.

Your point is stupid and so are your patterns of behavior. If you don't care fine. But for the other people reading it's worth giving them a way to articulate how the way you act is jackassery

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22027  (isolation #198)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:44 am

There's many reasons to like the US. I would definitely rather live here over China, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia just going off of free speech and censorship alone.

But the argument that everyone comes here because we're prosperous, and that is some reflection of virtue is ignorant, stupid, and embarassing.

Flubbernugget
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: June 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22029  (isolation #199)  » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 am

In post 22026, Persivul wrote:
In post 22024, Flubbernugget wrote:Tough shit snowflake I'm talking to you.

Your point is stupid

Not at all. Saying a country is awful is easy and simplistic. And, if you're in a leftist crowd and referring to the US, it's popular. My suggested approach is much better as its objective. Assuming that people are adequately informed and rational, they're not going to move from a good country to an awful one. So, if the US is awful despite net immigration, those net emigration countries must be real shitholes.
and so are your patterns of behavior. If you don't care fine. But for the other people reading it's worth giving them a way to articulate how the way you act is jackassery

You don't have to take inconvenient facts so personally.

You can keep repeating yourself with more and more words and you're not going to be taken seriously because stealing is not good, even if a lot of people benefit from it.

I literally went out of my way to attack your actions and not you personally and you still projected it onto me as if I'm actually taking this personally. Handle your emotions better and your reading comprehension will follow.

Next
[ + ]

Return to General Discussion