Newbie 1913 - game over!!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
L84Dnr
L84Dnr
Goon
L84Dnr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #525 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

Post by L84Dnr »

Thanx. I was actually playing obvtown in hopes of drawing the NK away from our PRs. A shame that didn't work better. I'd be interested to hear from the Mafia players if they got lucky or if something else gave our PRs away.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #526 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Post by the worst »

Their instincts were just really good. Saint figured killing you would draw too much attention to himself (which is a good problem to have as correct town! :P)
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
xwing
xwing
Goon
xwing
Goon
Goon

Post Post #527 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Post by xwing »

i think the mafioso deliberately skipping the NKs of ICs and SEs was a smart move..interesting that hearth was NK'd though, but i was doubting that slot, so it actually helped my PoE..

l8, i think you played a strong town game..i really like the questioning at the end, applying the logic of saint against himself..but favorite move would be when you lured scum using me as bait..i think that was smart as.. :)
SaintAngelDFE
SaintAngelDFE
Townie
SaintAngelDFE
Townie
Townie

Post Post #528 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Post by SaintAngelDFE »

Honestly the kills on Hearth and Volxen were designed because they were the ones that suspected me the least - I was trying to make a play play on xwing but my active lurking because of my nerves coming to play with my inexperience made it hard for me to know what to post, and after that first mix up I ended up freezing to a point. Complete luck that they were PR's, but after the kill on Hearth (We RB'd Volxen that night) I suspected that Volxen might have been a PR due to nobody coming out saying something about being a Cop (Which ended up being a wrong guess on my behalf) but he ended up being the jailor. I wonder who he jailed N2? Curious.
L84Dnr
L84Dnr
Goon
L84Dnr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #529 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Post by L84Dnr »

Thanx X-wing. You played a great town game too.

Scum-fishing is tricky and you frequently won't get a nibble but it's a very strong tell when you do. If you think you know who your target is look at their most recent reads and pick a weak town lean. If they're looking for a wagon to pounce on they might just bite.
L84Dnr
L84Dnr
Goon
L84Dnr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #530 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:38 pm

Post by L84Dnr »

@Saint Don't sweat the nerves. I drew scum my second Mafia game and died that way. You had a hard game what with DT vanishing.

The best advice that I've heard for NKs is "Kill whoever you want." NKA is notoriously difficult because you don't even know whose head you're trying to get into, so unless there's a really obvious pattern over several nights it's very tricky. You should still do an NKA but the VCA is frequently more damning.

One interesting tell that you'll want to work on and look for in others is that scum rarely talk to scum. Partly that's because they're talking in private and partly that's because they know who they are and don't want to be seen together. Distancing and even bussing are common, but scum buddying scum is rare. So one easy way to scum hunt is to just look through the ISOs and see who isn't talking to who. It's especially effective once one player has flipped red.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #531 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am

Post by volxen »

Good game everyone, glad to see us townies won! :)

I jailed Xwing on night one (because I thought he was likely to be nightkilled), and I jailed Brass on night two (because I thought he was scum). I wasn't 100% sold on Saint being town, but I had a lot of concerns that scum!Brass might slip through the cracks, whereas I didn't think that would be the case with scum!Roo or scum!Saint. So I figured if Brass was scum, that would work itself out because there would have been no nightkill (because the mafia roleblocker was already dead and Brass was in jail), and Brass and I would have gotten into a 1 vs 1. I figured if Saint was scum that would work itself out anyways (which it did), and if Roo were scum I think it would have worked itself out as well.

I didn't out myself as the jailkeeper because I didn't know whether BlurryX was the mafia roleblocker or the mafia goon prior to his flip -- I just knew that he was scum once he self-hammered, but that was it. Had BlurryX been the mafia goon, I couldn't have cleared anyone via jailing them because the mafia roleblocker would simply roleblock me and kill me, or roleblock me and kill someone else. I also figured that my final posts that I made before I died made it fairly obvious that Brass is the most likely person that I jailed. I think L84Dnr picked up on this and realized that the fact that I most likely jailed Brass and still got nightkilled meant that Brass was town.
"i agree it was a good that we outed PR volxen early..it's like he suddenly transformed from an ugly duckling into a beautiful(?) swan " - xwing (Newbie 1889: Ice Cream)
RCEnigma
RCEnigma
Survivor
RCEnigma
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #532 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:01 am

Post by RCEnigma »

Again Volxen?! Advice for any scumteam with Volxen in the game. NK him asap, it's a free PR death!
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #533 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:24 am

Post by the worst »

In post 532, RCEnigma wrote:Again Volxen?! Advice for any scumteam with Volxen in the game. NK him asap, it's a free PR death!
:up:
never truer words spoken
how've you been RCE? :>
--
xwing
xwing
Goon
xwing
Goon
Goon

Post Post #534 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am

Post by xwing »

i dunno why the dice favors volxen..
i havent played a PR role ever since i started..not that i've been in for long but yeah..
long time no hear, RCE.. :)

@tw: can we kindly have the links to the PTs please? :)
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #535 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am

Post by the worst »

yus lemme get to a PC first
--
L84Dnr
L84Dnr
Goon
L84Dnr
Goon
Goon

Post Post #536 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

Post by L84Dnr »

By that standard, town would be well-advised to lynch me Day 1. I'm playing on another site that's faster paced (24 hour Day and Night phases) and I've drawn scum 3 of my 5 games, so 50/50 odds.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #537 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Post by the worst »

I draw scum a fair bit of 1/3 of the time across like 60 games so I'm a decent lynch on that basis too :P
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #538 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 pm

Post by the worst »

--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #539 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by the worst »

so particularly wrt Saint, re scum play:
I think the best piece of advice is to Be Bold as people here have alluded to. sometimes you'll get caught out for it, sometimes people will accidentally townread you for it--but it's a really good way to learn from your play.

if you see something that you think you could see yourself scumreading, scumread it as loudly as you can. it's so so hard to play scum when you haven't rolled town yet because you're not sure...how you'd actually feel about things necessarily? if that makes sense?

it definitely gets easier with time and experience

the other super valuable piece of feedback is to not overthink nightkills too aggressively. here i think you kinda thought yourself into a corner wrt who to kill (luckily they were both TPRs--but there was definitely some powerful townies e.g. L84Dnr, xwing, etc. who may have also been well worth considering). this is hard to critique with respect to this game in particular, because a lot of the vanilla townies correctly townread each other. but in a general sense picking night kills is a great skill to develop.

keep in mind for townies to correctly link a night kill back to you, they would have to guess what your agenda was with it and also be satisfied you wouldn't kill someone else - //most// of the time correctly solving via Night Kill Analysis is harder for town than it seems for scum. there's some situations where you shouldn't kill someone because it's too obvious. but a lot of the time you can just kill the person who presents the biggest threat to you and it's surprising how often that works out ok!!

sorry this advice is kinda wishy-washy and not super immediately valuable. the best thing for your scumgame will be rolling town a few times, and getting more confidence with this format in a way that you'll be okay with being more brave the next time you roll scum.
--
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #540 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by the worst »

i gave some random feedback on posts in spoilers in the dead/spec pt too btw.
--
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #541 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Post by brassherald »

So, I didn't bother checking when I came back into town yesterday because I quickly discovered that I didn't have usable internet in Texas. I didn't think someone would have not replaced me.
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #542 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Post by brassherald »

So, IC notes from what I was here for are in the IC thread, feel free to read them. I will have to go through day 2 and 3 and see if there's anything, but really, I think this game went well for town.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #543 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 382, brassherald wrote:The only other one I would lynch today is Saint right now, tbh. DT slot is too far from lynch to be realistic with 10 hours left.

I'm not sure that Scum!YellowSnow claims a VT, to be honest, because he knows the optimal fake claim on the basis of me saying it in our last game.

But, we are also in the 11th hour, so my lynch pool is {YellowSnow,Saint} and I think if either of them are town, the last is BlurryX(I'm pretty sure he is the DT replacement?)
Look, also, I'm just going to brag about my Day 1 solve.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #544 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Post by the worst »

yeah I'm not super proud of my call there. good to see ya back.
--
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #545 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 544, the worst wrote:yeah I'm not super proud of my call there. good to see ya back.
I mean, maybe I could have hooked into my cell phone network and used data to tell you, but that is so much more effort than anyone probably ever expects of me.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #546 (ISO) » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Post by the worst »

brass "effort" hera
--
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #547 (ISO) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 am

Post by brassherald »

Comments coming tomorrow, now, woke up super sick today.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #548 (ISO) » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:35 am

Post by PenguinPower »

<(") | (")>