MS Plays Civ6! (UPDATED 3/1 - MULTIPLAYER + NEW LET'S PLAY)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Posting to follow

I'd love if we could have like...You post the turn 0 autosave so others can play along, do kinda like a game of the month type thing
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 am

Post by Elbirn »

Yooo you have to start a new game on Thursday when gathering storm releases. Who do you all want to play first? I'm torn between Maori and ottomans
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 8, YellowSnow wrote:I dont have any expansions
Correct this problem with money
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #11 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 10, YellowSnow wrote:I don't have money
Correct this problem with money
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #14 (isolation #4) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 am

Post by Elbirn »

I did start a game as mansa musa, and I'm doing super well even though I've had a not very good start due to not having anywhere to expand/settle and trying to not be super war focused (my trade routes are worth fuckall without allies). I settled a beautiful Petra city with the new Sahara desert natural wonder and like 6 silver resources and desert hills everywhere, moved all my trade routes there and that city alone makes 80% of my income. I definitely want to keep playing him and fine tuning my pro strats
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:54 am

Post by Elbirn »

I hate to feel like I'm hijacking your thread but if you or any other scummer wants to try a cloud game I'd be down. I have one in progress with a friend and as slow paced as it is, its a much more deliberate and thoughtful way to play I guess? I spent like 20 minutes just placing map markers and planning out cities districts and wonders, instead of just spamming next turn and doing shit all willy Billy. Plus I like being able to drop in at my leisure, way easier than scheduling times together and then having to commit a few hours to a game
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #23 (isolation #6) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 22, brassherald wrote:I would play, but fair warning, I am way out of practice.

I generally just play at default Difficulty unless its after work, where I lower difficulty because I'm tired.
You wont get better playing at settler-3, my friend.

I like to play on emperor, prince is fair but the ai isnt aggressive enough. King and above is where the AI has to literally cheat to be better because apparently you cant program AI to be good at civ, which sucks, but if I dont go to that difficulty the ai is simply not a threat
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #25 (isolation #7) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I dont actually though I feel like I've heard of it. That may explain a difficulty discrepancy, does it make the AI particularly better? Or just smarter?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #27 (isolation #8) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 26, brassherald wrote:
In post 25, Elbirn wrote:I dont actually though I feel like I've heard of it. That may explain a difficulty discrepancy, does it make the AI particularly better? Or just smarter?
Just smarter. They do things that make sense, its still inefficient, but smarter.

Also, they do stuff like place their cities next to yours, then complain that you are too close, like usual
Chandragupta: *forward settles you*
Also Chandragupta: "My people are forced to endure the stench of your own!"
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #34 (isolation #9) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 29, Maestro wrote:Brass, Elbirn, Zito, me - cloud save file soon? We can figure out some
rules of engagement
guidelines before we start it
I'd be down for this, but I'd prefer no teams / just playing a regular game, not gaming the system like you were saying earlier.

I'd also suggest a golden rule of "Dont be a dick", because as much as I'd like to have a serious game of civ where anything goes and I wind up in months long wars against my MS.NET archnemesises, I'm sure that we're all 1. Still learning the new expansion/new civs, and 2. I get the vibe that we're mostly looking for fun times and a laid back friendly game. That being said, I tend to be really aggressive towards the AI and I think the best way to combat the tedium and slow pace of cloud play is to settle a million cities and constantly go off on massive military campaigns.

We should also try to agree on game settings as well (my trigger is when hosts forget to turn off turn limit/score victory) and sort out civs; I'm currently in two cloud games with irl friends, and so I'd strongly prefer that I not play as either Sweden or Phoenicia cuz I'm already doing that. Any other new civ is cool.

Finally: considering the snails pace of the game, and that we live in a society, err forum, we should totes make a thread for discussions of the game, maybe act as a sort of world Congress thing. Sign non aggression pacts and agree on borders and shit. Role play a little, see if I give a flippin heck
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #35 (isolation #10) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 30, brassherald wrote:Yeah, the new expansion might have messed up the barbarian spawns, by the way, Canada had to kill about 40 barbarians tonight.
I had a game as mali that was a 5 tile desert and every time I cleared a barb camp right next to me, a new one spawned in the same spot as soon as no unit had visibility on it. This happened 10 times. I quit.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #37 (isolation #11) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Elbirn »

Okay so I've made a cloud game just to try to get this ball rolling, idk who's in aside from me + Maestro. I asserted myself and chose the Ottomans but I promise I'll be nice.

Join Code: KdjK
Continents, Large, Online Speed, no mods, no turn limit/score victory, turned off duplicate civs but NOT duplicate leaders in case two people wanna do dueling Eleanor's idgaf
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #40 (isolation #12) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Post by Elbirn »

@Brass, you go to multiplayer > play by cloud > check the top right for a button that says join by code or something like that. Code is case sensitive. You'll wind up in a normal looking lobby, select your civ and difficulty (I'm set to king with the other ai but you do you), hit the ready button, you'll get a popup saying you're locked in and the game will begin when all players are ready.

As of right now theres 4 open slots, I think once 4 people join the game will autostart? If more people want to play I'll change it but once the game starts its locked in

@Guy whenever you want bb
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #46 (isolation #13) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 43, brassherald wrote:
In post 42, Maestro wrote:Tempted to go Poundmaker because I love him and his alliances. But can people not annihilate me if I play Mali? That sounds like fun in this game, right? :P
I wasn't going to be as aggressive as Teddy usually is, I just saw that they changed some of his things for the new expansion and wanted to try it.
Americas new change (+1 favor for each wildcard slot) is probably really understated. By the tier 3 governments that's like +10 per turn or something ridiculous. I really like that it adds to American niche as a civ thats really vanilla early game but slowly starts to snowball into a world power by the modern era
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #48 (isolation #14) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am

Post by Elbirn »

Oh yeah it is how they've always been designed, I just mean how the new change further complements it

So for the cloud game we just need maestro to ready up/confirm his civ and then we're started ^_^
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #50 (isolation #15) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:29 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 49, Maestro wrote:I’ll do that momentarily. Still deciding from this AM. If we’re all online at once can the save same be loaded, played live with all players online, then re-saved as a Cloud file...? Worth looking into.
I've tried this out with a friend and you can do this. Only the person whose turn it is can save the cloud game to then make an MP game out of it (and might also have to be the host because I'm pretty sure he could do it on his turn but I couldn't)
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #53 (isolation #16) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 52, Maestro wrote:ALSO those yieeeeelds holy moly y'all

Spoiler:
How uh.....how you doing that?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #61 (isolation #17) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 60, GuyInFreezer wrote:Meanwhile in the could match....

I forgot that you can use the lobby to spoil yourself on who's in the game

I'll be sure to murder her if shes near me
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #66 (isolation #18) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:33 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 65, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 62, Maestro wrote:Is she that much of a threat?
When you're plinking around with swordsman and just reached xbowman she comes knocking on your door with musket and cavalries.
She is one of the only civs with bonuses explicitly for science output, and is pretty over powered as a result. A competent Korea player wins science/domination victory pretty easily, and even if you can keep pace with her somehow she'll be one of the few AI capable of really competing with you.

So yeah she needs to go 1000%
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #68 (isolation #19) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:40 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 63, Maestro wrote:Also, I think it’s my turn and I’m about to be online to do it. Is anybody else around? We could do some online play… Or start a second match, I don’t mind!
I'm at work

But yeah if we're ever all online we can load the cloud game into an online, get these slow early turns done.

Or just start separate online games with whoever's around

Wheeeeeeeee
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #70 (isolation #20) » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 56, Maestro wrote:The Maori hidden OP is their replacement for the Amphitheater, the Marae, which gives +2 Culture / +2 Faith to every tile in the city with a "passable feature" or NW, which ends up translating to "+2 C/F to every tile with Woods, Rainforest, Marsh, Reef or a NW" and it's not a lot but holy crap does it add up - and I'm not even going Religion.

I get +1 Food to the Fishing Boats from being Maori, and ALL SHALLOW WATER is +1 Production from the new, amazing Auckland CS suzerain ability.
I wanna point out the following

1. You've actually understated the ability, Because it also applies to oasis and geothermal fissures. It applying to reefs, when you're playing a coastal oriented civ, is also kinda bonkers. That ability + reef + fish + maori plus one food for boats + throw in God of the sea for good measure = 4 food/2 production/2 gold(?)/2 culture/2 faith from a single tile. Auckland makes that 3 production; and the yields all go higher with more technologies. Competes with the Dutch polders, even.

2. I started a game as Sweden that was going well until Kupe, wielding all of these powers and with earth goddess adding another +1 faith to all of these tiles and then city spamming forward settling me while taking over every city state and killing my religion with his = ragequit
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #74 (isolation #21) » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:06 am

Post by Elbirn »

I feel like all of the new civs are really strong, except for Canada who I still can not for the life of me understand what their strength is.

"You start in the frozen wasteland! But because you're Canada you can build farms on tundra, thus making those tiles just as good as unimproved plains tiles! :D also theres hockey rinks. Byeeeee~☆"

..... *sighs*

But yeah Maori/Mali are broken to the point I'd suggest exterminating them as soon as you meet. Inca is good but idk how to play them. I feel like Sweden is secretly good if you care about Diplo victory and focus on great people but mostly I just like their colors. Ottomans seem really good on paper but I need a really good game as them and it just hasn't happened yet. They actually seem kind of meh except for maintaining a really strong wide empire after you've earned it with your 99999 military related abilities, but theres nothing else in their kit that gives them an advantage aside from conquering everything in sight.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #76 (isolation #22) » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 75, GuyInFreezer wrote:Mali gold rush doesn't really kick off until midgame anyway.

Oh yeah Sweden is OP if you go culture too, not just diplo.
Automatic themes are great.
I was wondering about that because it's only for building with 3 slots or more, but idk what that includes. Not the capital/palace, temples have a relic slot, and I think amphitheaters can hold two works of writing or art? So at what point this starts to work I have no idea
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #81 (isolation #23) » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 78, Maestro wrote:
Spoiler: @Elbirn, this got long - sorry
In post 74, Elbirn wrote:But yeah Maori/Mali are broken to the point I'd suggest exterminating them as soon as you meet.
Kupe is incredibly fun and unique. And super powerful if you combine bonuses correctly, for basically any victory type. I would think he technically leans Religion/Domination/Diplomatic about equally. He's one of the few Civs I might have fun doing a prolonged pacifist Religion game on, since you can expand before anybody else and pressure cities all over the world (having the ability to enter Ocean is very valuable).

Mali has a mind-bogglelingly weak early game, to the point where if I really wanted to assert myself on the Mali in a game I may think of actually starting the game at a later era. But yeah, after they get to Medieval or Renn. they can buy their way to almost any victory but would do really well at Religion or Science.
Inca is good but idk how to play them.
Pachacuti is super fun. The biggest choice (in the early game, mostly) is balancing the use of OP hills next to mountains for
"Terrace Farms. Terrace Farms... everywhere"
or 2.
Godly districts thanks to the availability of mountains and (hopefully) Machu Picchu, which you should always-100%-of-the-time rush as the Inca. Or as close to rush as you feel you have to. For those who don't know yet, Machu Picchu may be the best new wonder in Gathering Storm, IMO. It basically gives every single district the same major adjacency bonus-next-to-mountains that the Holy Site and the Campus get, which, coupled with the Inca start bias, amounts to insane amounts of... anything. Whether it's Culture, Science, or Gold - Production and Food are already plentiful to the Inca because we get to put citizens on fucking mountains, and then boost those mountains with Terrace Farms. Also, keep in mind, no other Civ will be able to get the yields out of your cities that you can, because they can't work the mountains or build more of the
SUPER OP
Chapaq Nan, which is basically just a mountain tunnel except available only to the Inca, like... half a game earlier on the tech tree than the mountain tunnel. Ugh, the Inca are
SO
good and
SO
fun. Try them, please.
I feel like Sweden is secretly good if you care about Diplo victory and focus on great people but mostly I just like their colors.
She's done horrible disservice by the AI, so idk how to do shit as her. Would have to play a game.
Ottomans seem really good on paper but I need a really good game as them and it just hasn't happened yet. They actually seem kind of meh except for maintaining a really strong wide empire after you've earned it with your 99999 military related abilities, but there's nothing else in their kit that gives them an advantage aside from conquering everything in sight.
This. I think they're mainly a versatile "at any stage in the game you could switch to military and it would go fine" kind of Civ. I set up my own little Battle Royale that ran in the background for like, 3-4 hours while I was working yesterday, and at the end Suleiman had carved swaths out of every other Civ and almost won Domination. I think they probably ended up winning for score, but yeah. Not sure what to do with them, haven't looked into it much, might do that tonight and report back.

Also, I'm taking my turn now - let's get an online session in maybe? :P I'm around tomorrow after 8pm EST
Re: Inca and Macchu Picchu: the problem I have with Inca is that I love to settle by mountains for my campus/holy site yields early game and then cluster the other districts around them for maximum efficiency. And while this sounds like I should be having the exact opposite of a problem, the issue is that I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to...not always do that as the inca. I'm supposed to build terrace farms adjacent to my mountains. But I wanna build districts. But the game wants me to do both. But theres not enough space. Then I get cranky about adjusting my play style and give up on that game and start another. Like...I feel like I'm really supposed to play one of two ways, either macchu Picchu inca or terrace farm inca.

But on the topic of Machu pichu and new civs: I've started/abandoned a few games as Kristina, doing that thing where I'm really into a game but only for 100 turns or so :P and uh...her start bias seems to be just "the biggest mountain range available". And considering you'll want to get districts online everywhere asap, macchu Picchu is stupid strong for her. I'm working on a strategy for her and I always beeline oracle/Machu for her and its gr8
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #90 (isolation #24) » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:22 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 83, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 81, Elbirn wrote:beeline oracle
This is true for many non-warring civs anyway
To be fair this "non-warring civ" thing you speak of is a foreign concept to me. I honestly never saw Oracle as being all that great and I really dont know why it takes civs with a great person focus for me to realize "oh wait I need to build this every game from now on dont I?"
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #94 (isolation #25) » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 93, GuyInFreezer wrote:
In post 90, Elbirn wrote:To be fair this "non-warring civ" thing you speak of is a foreign concept to me.
Sorry I meant no war-focused civs. War-focused civs being things like Zulu Aztec.
Nono I got ya, I was making a funny because I generally like to kill things regardless of who I'm playing as.

But yes I can see that while I'd consider myself an intermediate skilled player, theres a lot I need to get better at. I hardly ever remember to focus on GP or patronizing them, I just build shit and act pleasantly surprised when my many campuses have finally yielded a great scientist. I've always tended to just spend gold asap on buildings or units and faith gets spent spreading my religion even if I'm not trying for a religious victory because I am horribly inefficient
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #96 (isolation #26) » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:01 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 95, brassherald wrote:If it makes you feel better, Elbirn, I just don't use faith points like half the time. I'm bad at religious victory, considering I have been playing this game since before Rise and Fall came out IIRC, and have never gotten a religious victory (I get bored)
Honestly I just build enough holy sites to ensure I get a religion ASAP no matter what, mostly a defensive measure against civs going for religious victory + wanting good bonuses for myself, pick "religious colonization" so I dont even have to think about spreading my religion to my own cities, and then hopefully pick up some bonuses or whatever for spending faith on military/civilian units so they at least have a purpose. I've gotten one religious victory and it was an accident while going for a domination victory honestly
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #98 (isolation #27) » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:07 am

Post by Elbirn »

Yeah literally go with a big league military civ, exterminate everyone except for 1 little civ, then throw missionaries at it. Religious/cultural victories are BS and they take too long
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #100 (isolation #28) » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:20 am

Post by Elbirn »

Honestly if you want a good religious based game? Play Arabia. You're guaranteed a religion, said religion gives you a bunch of minor science/culture bonuses (provided you focus on holy sites/religious buildings, which you should in this case), and Mamluks are stupid strong if you decide to go the warmonger route
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #108 (isolation #29) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:13 am

Post by Elbirn »

I greatly enjoy having the lone protest vote on Sweden while also being responsible for one of the votes for both Ottomans and France, thus making me a kingmaker who can withdraw my endorsement at any time

Yes yes fight for my love
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #111 (isolation #30) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 110, Papa Zito wrote:Can you spectate if you don't have the DLC?
I'm not sure spectating is a feature but presumably you have all the "content" installed already it's just locked away behind a paywall

Also whatever civ you decide to play, maestro, if you still feel like posting the initial save I'll 100% do a playthrough of it. Be the Alt-History supplement to your thingy
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #119 (isolation #31) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:52 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I would suggest liberating Vilnius, but idk how Hungary is going to be. If they snipe the suzerain status from you then rip.

That being said, if you can hold onto them as suzerain, their bonus is that you get adjacency bonuses to theater squares for having active alliances? Idk what the fine print on that is but if you intend on having allies and building a fuckton of theater squares (protip you are cuz French Eleanor) then yeah thatll help culture output tons

Pedit: gif is much better at being succinct and saying what I say
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #121 (isolation #32) » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:19 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 120, Maestro wrote:Except the Culture victory isn't really a
Culture
victory, it's a
Tourism
victory. Culture CS only helps as much as it helps me keep up in Civics, I would think.
Of course! But with that being said

1. Your tourism victory is going to rely on building a metric fuckton of TS's, as is your cheeky great work loyalty flipping, so might as well get the most out of them that you can

2. Higher raw culture output is going to help you get higher tourism sooner, because theater squares and all culture buildings/buildings with great work slots/most (all?) Of the wonders with GW slots, they're all in the civics tree, not the tech tree.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #129 (isolation #33) » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 128, brassherald wrote:I just realized, I straight up forgot to check if it was my turn in the Cloud game since like Sunday night. Sorry if I'm delaying.
Last time I checked I thought it was gif's turn, though I may be mistaken.

Game may be helped along by having an online session, what really makes my cloud game interesting is that we're on turn 125+ because we started as a regular game

Also establishing a turn order based on online times could help get to a point where we're able to knock out a turn a day, schedules permitting, thought that might be me being a little bit extra. But again going back to my cloud game, its a 1v1 where we've got a routine of taking our respective turns before and after work and its moving along at a good pace.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #131 (isolation #34) » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:43 pm

Post by Elbirn »

How are you accomplishing anything we're on like turn 8

A goody hut gave me a scout and I still dont know what lies 8 tiles away from my capital

I built a monument

That's it
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #139 (isolation #35) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Cree culture bomb trade routes too stronk, the Ottoman's demand control over their own sovereign lands
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #141 (isolation #36) » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 140, Xtoxm wrote:should i get this
all the reviews on steam say dont buy it cus spyware
I once read a detailed summary of what that was about and why it's been massively overblown, over exaggerated, and was long since removed from the game. I cant be assed to remember the particulars, only that I was satisfied with the explanations, and that regardless I need to play Civilization VI because it's the best.

If my vaguely naive, ignorant acceptance of the controversy is good enough for you, then by all means!
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #145 (isolation #37) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 142, Xtoxm wrote:thank you for your amateur opinion elbirn
i have purchased the deluxe edition on sale and its downloading now
im hyped to play civ for the first time in about a decade
I hope you have enjoyed/are enjoying your new found civilization addiction, fren. Try
the veal
Japan some time, I really like their double adjacency bonus for districts and I feel like that could be a good beginner civ as a result? Like if you dont know where to optimally place districts you can just say fuckit and put em in a triangle and it's basically okay
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #146 (isolation #38) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 144, brassherald wrote:
In post 143, Maestro wrote:Tryna do a stream tomorrow, I think?
Also, who's holding up the cloud game? :P and when could we maybe knock some turns out live?
I have been wondering who we are waiting for as well.
*stares at gif*
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #147 (isolation #39) » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Oh wait

That was a week ago

Time isnt real
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #152 (isolation #40) » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 149, Maruchan wrote:Things I don't like about prince difficulty:

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH A MILLION BARBARIANS! Like, they just KEEP COMING OUT OF NOWHERE. again, and again, and again. I have *NEVER* invested this much production into military units, in any age or era, as I have in the Ancient Era of this game, trying to get the barbarian infestation under control!
I have noticed a bug in the new update where barbs can spawn nonstop in the same spot

It can be a good idea to position units scattered about cuz camps cant spawn on hexes that any player has visibility of? So like if you notice it's the same location repeatedly just tell a warrior to take a nap there
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #163 (isolation #41) » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I'm at work, can anyone check whose turn it is? If you hover over it a tooltip should pop up saying whose turn. It shouldn't be me because I launch this game like twice a day for other cloud games but at this point I'm paranoid enough to say idk maybe it didnt save my last turn properly or something and I still dont have a notification about it
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #168 (isolation #42) » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:35 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I've met Korea and Egypt, and the Sahara el bahayabfkaick383hdna whatever the fuck is just N.E. of my capital.

If this helps yall find me then gr8

And if any of you settle that wonder I'll burn your cities to the ground xoxoxo
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #169 (isolation #43) » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:08 pm

Post by Elbirn »

ADVANCED LEVEL CIV DISCUSSION

Is it worth building a harbor and a commercial hub in the same city? I've always done it because even though you only get one trade route out of it, theres a good adjacency bonus for it. City center next to river/harbor adjacent to 2 sea resources/commercial hub adjacent to river/all in a triangle = idk how much gold off the top of my head actually but it's like 10+. Not to mention great people points. And now that I think about it, awesome shipyard production yields.

But yeah, when district costs scale with each one you've built, is it not more worth it to build harbors and commercial hubs in separate cities to maximize number of trade routes? I often find myself struggling to hit a decent number of available trade routes and I feel my gameplay suffers from that.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #177 (isolation #44) » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 176, Maruchan wrote:Man default difficulty is super hsrd.

Even when you start on accurate country placement earth and chose 7 European countries as AI and a south American for yourselc.

Shits till hard. And they eliminated 2 opponents in the ancient era
I mean south america is a sucky continent to start on. It's all jungles and a series of mountain ranges that completely segment the continent and it's really difficult to get anything done
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #178 (isolation #45) » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 am

Post by Elbirn »

So uh

The 4 player cloud game is pretty dead, would anyone have interest in a 1v1?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #184 (isolation #46) » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 182, Maruchan wrote:
In post 180, Maestro wrote:Sorry, probably me Elbirn. Really crazy, emotionally-draining week. Doing my turn now if it's me - but I'd also be interested in 1v1.

@Maruchan: Turning off Domination Victory doesn't prevent the other person from declaring war and essentially wiping you out, maybe leaving you with like, 1 city, and then switching entirely to a new wincon. They'll have such a huge advantage the game is over even without Domination.
Yes but it gives people less incentive to focus on dominating another civ. Especially with a turn limit. If they dedicate a hundred turns' production towards military and dominating you, that's a hundred turns' production not focused on other victories. Means they might run into the turn limit
Unfortunately the AI doesnt think like that, and a military is always a good move. You can often grow faster by conquering developed cities rather than settling your own, especially if you forsake military for settlers and then someone else who did the reverse just conquers you. It's at least worth a military for defense, and it never takes 100 turns to develop one. Just go for like 3 archers and a few warriors early game, and position them well
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #185 (isolation #47) » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:54 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 183, Maruchan wrote:
In post 181, Maestro wrote:@Maru: pacifist game, tho? Sounds fun
I'm in. I typically end up allied to every other civ in a game
I'm fine declaring you Switzerland and never being a meanie to you but my blood thirst must be slaked
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #189 (isolation #48) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 188, Maestro wrote:Who are the like, “peaceful” AIs? We should do a 6p with us 3 and 3 low-aggression Civs. Would be kind of fun to see what would happen.

I’m also finally realizing why different players can set the diff to their own setting in MP AI matches, and it’s because if you’re on Settler and everybody else is on Emperor, the AI will love you and dote on you and nuke the Emperors. Weird that I never thought of that before.
1. What would happen is I would conquer the AI civs and laugh all the way to victory

2. Having Maru on chieftain/prince while everyone else is on emperor would be a good compromise. I assume the AI would still have their initial bonuses, they would just be nice to maru
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #191 (isolation #49) » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:59 am

Post by Elbirn »

Yes and I am agreeing to it.

Return to “The Arcade”