Unpopular mafia opinions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 0, RadiantCowbells wrote:from least unpopular to most unpopular

5) anyone who says that they don't bus unless they need to or not at all is essentially claiming that they are a scum player with a narrow range of games that they are able to play
4) fluffposting contains just as much alignment indicative information as walls and cases and is more difficult for most players to fake
3) looking towny as scum is either the least or the second least important scum skill next to imitating your towngame despite the heavy value most assign to it
2) energy, charisma, and time to post in thread are in most cases the factors that determine whether a player is lynched or not, not towniness of posts.
1) MS's high replace rate is a blessing in disguise, except when it gets to the point where games are bleeding people faster than they can replace
5) probably true :shifty:

4) somewhat disagree; I think that cases and pushes are unreadable when dealing w people who lack the skills to understand anything about AI behavior, and shitposting is unreadable for anyone who’s able to post comfortably while scum (but is probably quite readable for newer players and/or those who are in like severe wolf burnout). TLDR: really depends on the players

3) Imitating your actual towngame is backseat to looking town; if yiur towngame is lynchbait then it’s actively counterproductive to imitate it usually, for instance. For looking town... I think it really depends on quality of player list. If the game quality is really low, it’s probably enough by itself to win a high % of the time. If the game quality is really high, then FAILING to do so just makes you dead scum and the rest of the stuff you do isn’t very important because you’re just dead scum. In between is where I agree with you. In a game where you can take some liberties but can’t just be blatant scum, then stuff like effectively pushing fake cases, making thread environment proscum, etc. can all have much higher value (also I’m thinking the sort of board where just looking town means you’re just the last wolf lynched which is little consolation)

2) tend to agree

1) tend to disagree. I think it’s damaging to game state where people can hop in and out just because they feel like it or game x isn’t fun, much less where they can RWSTFO (rand wolf sub the fuck out) as part of meta with no real consequence.
Show
http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Mhsmith0
Conq: you, sir, are great at being town.
BATMAN: Only jugg was the only one we didn’t scum read at least not me
Quick: There is little to no chance this slot is Power-Wolfing.
SR: I want to give him a day
Life is simply unfair, don't you think?
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #6 (isolation #1) » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:19 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 5, Firebringer wrote:5) is that like a popular thing people say, I mostly think people are underselling their scum game on purpose to suspiciously deny any person claiming they are scum. I don't often believe anyone saying this. Everyone busses under some conditions if they are met.
I have almost never seriously bussed in a game, but I also suck as wolf so :P
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #16 (isolation #2) » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:45 am

Post by mhsmith0 »

sort by post count, become werewolf expert
works shockingly well especially if you lack other good ideas and especially if a reasonable % of the game doesn't know how to high post as wolf (or if their high WIM iso's are super wolfy while wolf in which case u just lynch there glgl)

13 players
order by post count
see if #13 seems particularly like lurkerscum, otherwise give them a slanktown pass for d1
lynch in the 8-12 range
glgl
Show
mhsmith0
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
mhsmith0
Balancing Act
Balancing Act

Post Post #57 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Post by mhsmith0 »

In post 55, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 54, Vi wrote:Question. If on D1 a Townie gets to L-1 with like 11 votes and then tactically replaces out of the game, assuming the deadline isn't a factor is it basically always the correct play as scum to unvote and let the wagon collapse?

Asking for a friend who tried not doing that. Also because the answer can have ~implications
Hard to say.

Scum tactically replace too so it's not like it hard townspews the slot if you can spin the discourse around it.

Depends why you were wagoning them in the first place too.
As a game host if I had full discretion I’d probably just modkill the tactical replace out and shove the game to night phase. That sort of thing is dirty pool and shouldn't be tolerated, and people who would tactical replace out in that position shouldn’t be tolerated by game hosts.
Show

Return to “Mafia Discussion”