Faster than Light Interactive Plays Run 1 Victory

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 15, Cheery Dog wrote:I should have read the legend on the image.
I'm going to assume we want the easier option in the future, although I'm also happy if we take the other one that looks potentially riskier in the long run
IMO you want red sectors earlier and green sectors late. Red sectors give you more scrap, green sectors give you more opportunity to spend it.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 am

We don't have enough shieldbreaking power to make good use a Beam (and in fact, are in serious risk of being walled by opposing ships in the next few sectors). The Artemis is helpful in that regard (and so we should hang onto it), but we need a bit more.

The Burst Laser and Charge Ion will both help with that, but will lead to rather different styles of ships. With the Charge Ion, we'll need to play very defensively later on, as using it to pierce a large number of shield layers is slow (you have to shoot a full charge followed by a number of partial charges in order to keep the opposing shields locked down), but it will eventually allow the rest of out weaponry to destroy anything. Meanwhile, the Burst Laser will allow us to put more immediate power in each volley; it'll probably need a third weapon to complement it at some point, but the final build we're looking at there will likely be more of a glass cannon, aiming to defeat opponents by sending a huge volley of lasers at an critical system and disabling their ship before they can overwhelm a comparative lack of defences.

I'm personally more inclined to recommend the Ion; Laser+Laser+Laser and Laser+Laser+Ion are decent three-weapon builds, but Laser+Ion+Ion is terrifying (and Laser+Ion+Beam can be good depending on the specific weapons involved), so the Ion will give us more flexibiity in what endgame builds we aim for later in the game (and even if we're very unlucky with shops and find no more weapons, at least Burst Laser 2 + Charge Ion is a combination that can't quite be outright walled by an opponent). The Charge Ion is also one of the best weapons for getting through Zoltan shields, which is always nice utility to have when you don't have a Drone system.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #40 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Four crewmembers should be enough to win, and I have a feeling that if I join I'll die horribly :-P

If a fifth crewmember turns up, though, I guess I'd be the obvious choice (and I'll start voting at that point; up until then I guess I don't have a vote because I'm not part of the crew).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #57 (isolation #3) » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 am

Uncharted is the safer option (we have plenty of fuel and not much scrap, meaning we can't take much advantage of the extra shops in a Slug sector).
Slug is the more interesting option, though. Where "interesting" sometimes means "kills you in a horrible way", but I guess that's Slugs for you.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #64 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am

Mantis aren't particularly squishy, they're just particularly bad at holding fire extinguishers.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #73 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:54 am

VOTE: 1 It's probably better to look around to see if we can find something, than sitting tight doing nothing.

(Nebula sectors are, unfortunately, probably the most repetitive part of vanilla FTL; they simply don't have very many possible events. I count 11 possible events which aren't just an unconditional fight, an unconditional store, or a blank beacon, and some of them are really simple (e.g. fight/don't fight choices). So repeats are quite probable if you visit multiple nebula sectors.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #77 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:27 am

VOTE: 4 Better engines should save us from a surprisingly large number of hits in the long run, and we'll still have scrap left over for if a store comes up soon. Improved shields, weapons and hacking are all things we'll probably want eventually, but engines likely gives the best gains in the short term and they'll all come to the same place eventually.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #80 (isolation #7) » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Something's wrong with the last couple of images; I can't see what it is we could potentially buy and sell.

Unless we have anything we're unlikely to use, though, VOTE: 1. I don't like how low our hull is getting, and selling something useful to buy something else is normally a bad strategy. (If we do buy something, it should be the Long-Range Scanner; the Backup Battery is unlikely to become cost-effective for ages, possibly never if we're making a loss on the transaction, whereas the Long-Range Scanner is more useful the earlier you get it.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #83 (isolation #8) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:27 am

If you want to sell something to buy the LRS, it should be the Artemis that's sold. We'll likely eventually want to replace it with a laser, ion, or beam, and there's fairly good odds that we'll find one of those at some point. Finding a good replacement option at 1 power could be hard, though, so we'll likely have to wait until much later before we can get an Artemis replacement online.

On the subject of the images, I have a pretty bad Internet connection so I have images turned off in my forum settings. When I do that, they're replaced with a link to the image. It seems that the automatically generated replacement link overrides any [url] tag that's given
around
the image, unless there's some text inside it too, and thus the "second link" was only visible when I quoted the post.

(Also, I run at about an
average
of 2/3 hull, but that means repairing above it.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #86 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm

VOTE: 2 I've had enough of nebulas, and the upper path will soon force us into yet another nebula sector.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #91 (isolation #10) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 am

What difficulty are we on? Normal? If we are, VOTE: 2. We'll probably get a lot of scrap from scrapping their ship and will probably be able to just buy fuel with the extras if we end up running low.

If this were on Hard, I'd consider accepting their offer, as we'd get less scrap from destroying their ship and thus the surrender looks better in comparison. That said, Rebels who attack us unprovoked don't really deserve to be allowed to get away with it.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #96 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 am

This should be based on the mechanics of the interactive play, I guess. Is there anyone reading this thread who'd want to be a crewmember?
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #99 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:51 am

Our engine operator is at two star engine skill (the maximum), the new crewmember at the start of one star engine skill. So the new crewmember wouldn't be going on engines (unless we wanted to train up a second engine operator as a backup.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #101 (isolation #13) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:56 am

I love builds where you screw around with Sensors and shoot at the enemy crew individually, but we really aren't set up for that weapon-wise. As such, if we hired a new crewmember, we'd probably want them to man the Doors until an emergency arose which needed them elsewhere.

(I wonder what the flavour behind that is, anyway. Maybe manually approving which doors open and shut, so that you can restrict it to crewmembers, rather than needing to leave them all set to allow anyone through so that you don't end up trapped in your own ship.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #102 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 am

All that said, if anyone out there is on the fence about joining this: this thread could really do with a few more people who don't know what they're doing, FTL is more fun that way. The unmodded game can get a bit repetitive if it's being played by an experienced player who's playing to win, as they aim down the same sort of path every game (I typically play on mods of my own designed to make unviable strategies more viable, giving more variety in the way in which the game plays, especially as the unviable builds that enemies use sometimes suddenly become viable against you).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #105 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:46 pm

It's hard to build synergy out of our weapon selection. (The best synergy would be Charge Ion + Flak II + Flak I + Burst Laser II, firing in that order, but unfortunately it comes to 9 power.)

Given that we already have 6 laser shots in our build, going for the Flak II wouldn't be unreasonable, but completing the build would likely need us to find another weapon some time later. (Something like a Heavy Laser I would be perfect.) If we do buy the Flak II, we're probably not using the Charge Ion long-term, which would be a pity as it's one of the best weapons in the game. (Exception: if we find a beam weapon, in which case Charge Ion + Flak II is amazing support for it; but in that case, we'd have to ditch the Flak I or Burst Laser II or both, which are also some of the best weapons in the game.)

I'm torn between two strategies. One is to not buy anything and hope for a more suitable store in the future. The other is to buy the Flak II as a hedge against not finding anything better (Flak II + Flak I + Burst Laser, 7 power, is a setup that might be good enough to take us to endgame), but keep all our existing weapons so that if something helpful does come up, we can work out what to sell based on what we find. The basic problem is that the Flak II takes so long to charge that we'd be forced into a pretty defensive setup if we buy it, meaning that we'd badly want to find and buy Cloaking – but if we buy it, and buy the upgraded weapon system to use it, we might not be able to afford Cloaking when it comes up! OK, I've decided, the Flak II probably isn't the best of ideas – our existing setup is too good and the Flak would get in its way.

So what else might it be worth buying here? What we really need is more jumps, to have more of a chance of finding useful items. We're in Sector 5, so the Distraction Buoys will give us one extra jump in each of Sectors 6 and 7; that'll probably pay for themselves eventually, but might not do more than that. Likewise, the FTL Recharge Booster makes it easy to run from Rebels, so would allow us to explore beyond the exit and get extra jumps that way, but we're on the verge of being able to do that anyway (Engines 6 is normally enough to make that safe). Note that sectors 6 and 7 can be green sectors; Civilian and Engi would both be great for trying to find systems and weapons to complete our build.

VOTE: 5 (buy some fuel and hull repairs only, and hope to find a better shop or another source of weaponry)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #110 (isolation #16) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Hacking isn't in the shop because we already have it :-D

That Drone Control is looking really tempting at the moment. We won't need to turn it on most of the time, but it'll be very helpful against enemies with missiles (and there's a decent chance we'll be gifted a free Combat Drone or Beam Drone along the way, which would give us a bit of extra firepower).

Weren't there also some votes for the Fire Beam earlier? It's normally more trouble than it's worth, but we have close to a perfect setup for it (a fast self-chaining ion to reduce the opponent's peak recharge rate, an excellent laser burst size for knocking down the remainder, and the ability to stall if necessary, especially once we have the Defence Drone ready). The main reason not to buy it is not that it's too weak, but that it's a scrap commitment now for something which would mostly only be useful later, meaning we might have trouble in the short term. (We could, however, use it to gain additional rewards against enemies who couldn't pierce our shields, or stretch to make it work in battles where we really want to leave the ship intact, e.g. slavers.) So I'm happy to buy it if other people want to try it out, or to leave it alone if people prefer the more boring and reliable options. If we do buy the Fire Beam, we'd equip it in place of the Artemis, but (until much later in the game) leave it unpowered except in cases where we could deploy it effectively.

VOTE: 1 (either Drone Control on its own, or Drone Control + Fire Beam, depending on what other voters prefer)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #114 (isolation #17) » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:32 pm

VOTE: 3 (or 2 if Cerberus wants to join in, probably hiring the Mantis)

I'm not a huge fan of teleportation on Hard, especially when we only have 4 crew and are in a fairly late sector (the opposing boarding defences have had a huge head start, and our ship isn't really set up for boarding support at all). We'll be better off using our last system slot for Cloaking if it appears later on when we can afford it, or just saving the scrap to improve our defences or to get a newly found weapon or drone online. (We should be looking out for Combat I and/or Hull Repair drones, both of which would fit our build quite well, although in rather different ways.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #118 (isolation #18) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:06 pm

That's not the exact same event, it's a much rarer variant (when their comms are down, you can't hail them, so any investigation will have to be more direct). The easiest way to tell them apart is to read what options you have, rather than the introduction text; boarding another ship in event text is nearly always risky.

We lost our Weapons operator, right? We badly need one of those, but a shield operator is less important, so if we didn't hire crew we could move the worst over. That said, three crew is dangerously low for protection from boarders, so we could hire a second Mantis as weapons operator and to form the other half of an internal security squad.

I'd normally buy drones at this point, but the options we have on offer aren't great (the Combat II would work in our build but we won't be able to get everything simultaneously online quickly enough for the expenditure to be worth it). Three crew is
also
dangerously low for handling repair emergencies, and the System Repair drone could be helpful with that (especially as I'm busy piloting the ship and don't normally have the chance to repair).

The Preigniter, unfortunately, doesn't combo with our current set of weapons (which charge quickly anyway), so we shouldn't stretch to buy it.

VOTE: 1+2 (System Repair + Mantis); it's likely worth spending some of the remaining scrap on hull repairs.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #123 (isolation #19) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:08 pm

VOTE: 1 We can totally take the Rebel stronghold, but sector 7 is a bad time for it to come up. I agree, we want more shops really; if we tried to face the Flagship in this state we'd be taking a lot of damage, possibly more than our maximum hull.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #133 (isolation #20) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 am

I had to look it up; Civilian sectors have 2 or 3 stores outside nebulas, and never one inside.

FWIW, my normal route planning isn't to route the whole sector in advance, but rather to adapt my route on the fly based on what I see at neighbouring beacons. (For example, in Civilian sectors, I prioritise distress beacons,)

VOTE: 1 (although I seem to be outvoted!)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #135 (isolation #21) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 am

Event abundance is actually really weird. The nebula beacons and the non-nebula beacons in civilian sectors follow entirely different rules from each other (the non-nebula beacons are metered with a certain amount of each type, apart from "filler" beacons added to make up the numbers, but the nebula beacons all draw random events from one big pool of "civilian nebula" beacon events).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #141 (isolation #22) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 am

VOTE: 1

Probably the most synergistic with what we have at the moment. The main issue with our current loadout is that it's fairly slow at dealing damage, but cloaking will give us the time to allow us to be slow without dying.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #144 (isolation #23) » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not sure that Stealth Weapons would be worth the cost of the resources we'd spend to get it, and it might even be counterproductive in some situations. With cloaking in the late-game, you're normally planning to cloak in response to being shot at, and you only need to cloak for just long enough for the enemy volley to harmlessly pass by. Once that happens, you typically want to break out of cloak immediately so that it recharges faster. If you don't have Stealth Weapons, you can intentionally end the cloak early by attacking.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #147 (isolation #24) » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 pm

VOTE: 4

High-power-requirement drones aren't a great fit for this ship (and we have enough shieldbreaking power already), and the shield drone is just terrible in general (we do actually have a setup, cloaking + hacking, which is well set up to use it, but it's
still
not worth it because we can't hack all the Flagship's weapons at once). We have plenty of systems that it's safe to use backup power for (e.g. you can put backup power bars into cloaking or hacking and if they disappear from the system while it's on cooldown, no issue). Also, anything we do with scrap for the rest of the game is likely to need power, and the Backup Battery is more cost-effective than Reactor upgrades. We don't need the Explosive Replicator because we likely have enough missiles to last us through the end of the game (if we're conservative about using them; note that we can get more at the repair stations), and I can't see anything else in the shop worth considering that hasn't already been mentioned.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #151 (isolation #25) » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:24 am

Prod? It's been over a week.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #159 (isolation #26) » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:14 am

Throw the Combat Drone up for stage 3 to take down the Flagship's Zoltan shield faster. (If you have the reactor power available, you might want to leave it up because it'll help the hacking system bring the regular shields down faster, too.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #161 (isolation #27) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 pm

Yay, the Federation is saved!

This was fun. Thanks for modding it.

Reading through this inspired me to continue some work on an old balance mod to FTL that I'd been working on ages ago, designed to increase the variety of games by making more items viable. (Unlike some balance mods, I didn't do
much
nerfing of overpowered things; it's more buffing of underpowered things to allow them to compete. Missiles are really good now.) Of course, more viable items means that the enemy's strategy is more likely to work out, too.

It's not quite finished, but it is playable; I was wondering if there'd be any interest in something like that for Run 2? One advantage is that as most people here won't know what stats items have in advance, it'll produce less of a gulf between crewmembers who know what they're doing and crewmembers who don't.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #164 (isolation #28) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 am

Some thoughts that I had while offline…

This was a lot of fun, but I suspect that if it were repeated in
exactly
the same format, it would get a bit stale. In general, the crew here was too knowledgeable and coordinated for much to go wrong strategically, and PvtUrist is clearly experienced at micromanaging the tactics.

What this really needs is a bit more chaos. So the idea I had was to do this again, except without anyone having a full view of everything that's going on. We split the various aspects of the ship among the participants, and each participant gets told (in PT) about the status of their own part of the ship, but not about what's going on elsewhere in the ship. Then they make general strategic decisions (which they can change whenever they want), tactical decisions if the moderator suspects that the result might actually matter, and (of course) purchasing decisions.

Anyone could post in the main thread; the moderator will post general updates there (descriptions of events, etc.; ideally paraphrasing to make it harder for experienced players to recognise the event), and players can talk about their view of things in general terms but are banned from direct moderator quotes and talking about numbers/statistics directly.

Instead of voting on what to do with the ship's resources, we divide all the earned scrap evenly between the players; each player unilaterally decides what to buy with their own share of the scrap. They're allowed to trade with each other at will (so everyone can pool their scrap to buy something expensive if necessary, or handle cases where some players need to spend more than others, as the various ship management roles won't be exactly balanced with each other). Of course, players could also lie about how much scrap they needed for various things (this is the advantage of playing on a mod; nobody will know how much things "should" cost). We could also add in personal secondary victory conditions which were mildly in conflict (on top of the primary victory condition of saving the Flagship), just to force a bit of tension.

Is this a terrible idea? Or an awesome idea? Because if people like the idea, I'm willing to run it.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #167 (isolation #29) » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 pm

OK, looks like I'm running this then!

Here's the game thread. Signups are open right now (and will stay open continuously, because we may well have a lot of crewmember turnover).
scum
town

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”