MS Plays Civ6! (UPDATED 3/1 - MULTIPLAYER + NEW LET'S PLAY)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I dont actually though I feel like I've heard of it. That may explain a difficulty discrepancy, does it make the AI particularly better? Or just smarter?
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 25, Elbirn wrote:I dont actually though I feel like I've heard of it. That may explain a difficulty discrepancy, does it make the AI particularly better? Or just smarter?
Just smarter. They do things that make sense, its still inefficient, but smarter.

Also, they do stuff like place their cities next to yours, then complain that you are too close, like usual
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 26, brassherald wrote:
In post 25, Elbirn wrote:I dont actually though I feel like I've heard of it. That may explain a difficulty discrepancy, does it make the AI particularly better? Or just smarter?
Just smarter. They do things that make sense, its still inefficient, but smarter.

Also, they do stuff like place their cities next to yours, then complain that you are too close, like usual
Chandragupta: *forward settles you*
Also Chandragupta: "My people are forced to endure the stench of your own!"
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 27, Elbirn wrote:
In post 26, brassherald wrote:

Chandragupta: *forward settles you*
Also Chandragupta: "My people are forced to endure the stench of your own!"
Lol!

"Don't put troops right outside my walls!"
The troops are in my capital.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:30 pm

Post by Maestro »

Brass, Elbirn, Zito, me - cloud save file soon? We can figure out some
rules of engagement
guidelines before we start it

Also, yes the AI is weird and stuff but I like games to be a bit accessible and reproducible, so like Elbirn said I'll provide saves but usually I don't like/can't justify playing with content mods because A: ya boi wants the Steam achievements, and B: I just feel like I still haven't experienced everything Vanilla has to offer, ya know? I feel the same way about Skyrim mods, damn that game is STILL so fun
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm

Post by brassherald »

Yeah, the new expansion might have messed up the barbarian spawns, by the way, Canada had to kill about 40 barbarians tonight.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

I don't have the expansion that just came out. And I haven't played a full game since Civ 2 so uh. :D
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 30, brassherald wrote:Yeah, the new expansion might have messed up the barbarian spawns, by the way, Canada had to kill about 40 barbarians tonight.
I think YMMV because my games have been fairly normal, and you always have outliers. Using any mods that could be messing with it? Both my CS spread and my barbies have been... basically what I expected? I think with CSes there are some map scripts which specifically might choose "ok, more CSes are allowed to be near Hungary, etc." or "let's split the CSes down this imaginary line... oh they all happen to be in this one area blocked by this one player, aw well" ya know?

Just like the Mali's start bias towards Desert sometimes yields like, a 2-tile desert and I shake my head in shame

Sometimes you get that kinda map

And sometimes you get a Mali start in a massive desert criss-crossed with rivers (the dream!) with the Dead Sea, the Eye of the Sahara, and the new white chalk desert NW and you thank the map seed gods for the fun game they've given you
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:10 pm

Post by brassherald »

In post 32, Maestro wrote:
In post 30, brassherald wrote:Yeah, the new expansion might have messed up the barbarian spawns, by the way, Canada had to kill about 40 barbarians tonight.
I think YMMV because my games have been fairly normal, and you always have outliers. Using any mods that could be messing with it? Both my CS spread and my barbies have been... basically what I expected? I think with CSes there are some map scripts which specifically might choose "ok, more CSes are allowed to be near Hungary, etc." or "let's split the CSes down this imaginary line... oh they all happen to be in this one area blocked by this one player, aw well" ya know?

Just like the Mali's start bias towards Desert sometimes yields like, a 2-tile desert and I shake my head in shame

Sometimes you get that kinda map

And sometimes you get a Mali start in a massive desert criss-crossed with rivers (the dream!) with the Dead Sea, the Eye of the Sahara, and the new white chalk desert NW and you thank the map seed gods for the fun game they've given you
That's a good point, I might need to turn off the AI mod, might be not working with the game correctly since everything has felt a little off.

I will say, I want to actually try all the civs in this expansion, unlike the last one.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm

Post by Elbirn »

In post 29, Maestro wrote:Brass, Elbirn, Zito, me - cloud save file soon? We can figure out some
rules of engagement
guidelines before we start it
I'd be down for this, but I'd prefer no teams / just playing a regular game, not gaming the system like you were saying earlier.

I'd also suggest a golden rule of "Dont be a dick", because as much as I'd like to have a serious game of civ where anything goes and I wind up in months long wars against my MS.NET archnemesises, I'm sure that we're all 1. Still learning the new expansion/new civs, and 2. I get the vibe that we're mostly looking for fun times and a laid back friendly game. That being said, I tend to be really aggressive towards the AI and I think the best way to combat the tedium and slow pace of cloud play is to settle a million cities and constantly go off on massive military campaigns.

We should also try to agree on game settings as well (my trigger is when hosts forget to turn off turn limit/score victory) and sort out civs; I'm currently in two cloud games with irl friends, and so I'd strongly prefer that I not play as either Sweden or Phoenicia cuz I'm already doing that. Any other new civ is cool.

Finally: considering the snails pace of the game, and that we live in a society, err forum, we should totes make a thread for discussions of the game, maybe act as a sort of world Congress thing. Sign non aggression pacts and agree on borders and shit. Role play a little, see if I give a flippin heck
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Post by Elbirn »

I had a game as mali that was a 5 tile desert and every time I cleared a barb camp right next to me, a new one spawned in the same spot as soon as no unit had visibility on it. This happened 10 times. I quit.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Post by Maestro »

In post 34, Elbirn wrote:*snip*
Sounds awesome! Whole-hearted support from me.

Also, to whom it may concern, just finished the Pachacuti game I played during my shift yesterday. Very annoyed at the end: I did some of the "Send Aid" projects for some BS emergency for Hungary and got to first place... without realizing it would give me my final Diplomatic Victory point on the exact same turn I finally got my last space thingy done. It gave me the Diplo... :evil:

I gave you 2 saves in the Pachacuti folder. One is just before I went apeshit on Hungary and nuked them to death (6 Thermonukes, they had clustered cities, RIP), after which I smoked through their dead cities with a GDR & Modern Armor and razed a few out of spite, and also hoping I could completely wipe them out before the Diplomatic Victory went off on me. I may still go back and try to do that again, not sure. The other save is after I won. Shows how far I got in my rampage... feel free to try it out yourself! :)

The Wilhelmina game is in there too. One save is the map when I first started (I think) and the other is when I stopped playing when I upgraded to Gathering Storm. Friendly reminder: the Wilhelmina save only requires R&F!

When you download any of this stuff, find your Civ6 save folder, which for me on Windows is:
Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization VI > Saves
and I can probably help any OS X people who want to use them but don't know how. I used to be a Mac. :P
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Elbirn »

Okay so I've made a cloud game just to try to get this ball rolling, idk who's in aside from me + Maestro. I asserted myself and chose the Ottomans but I promise I'll be nice.

Join Code: KdjK
Continents, Large, Online Speed, no mods, no turn limit/score victory, turned off duplicate civs but NOT duplicate leaders in case two people wanna do dueling Eleanor's idgaf
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:57 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 37, Elbirn wrote:Okay so I've made a cloud game just to try to get this ball rolling, idk who's in aside from me + Maestro. I asserted myself and chose the Ottomans but I promise I'll be nice.

Continents, Large, Online Speed, no mods, no turn limit/score victory, turned off duplicate civs but NOT duplicate leaders in case two people wanna do dueling Eleanor's idgaf
I'll figure out how to join tonight... I have no idea what Country I will be choosing
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:52 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 37, Elbirn wrote:Okay so I've made a cloud game just to try to get this ball rolling, idk who's in aside from me + Maestro. I asserted myself and chose the Ottomans but I promise I'll be nice.

When is this again?
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Post by Elbirn »

@Brass, you go to multiplayer > play by cloud > check the top right for a button that says join by code or something like that. Code is case sensitive. You'll wind up in a normal looking lobby, select your civ and difficulty (I'm set to king with the other ai but you do you), hit the ready button, you'll get a popup saying you're locked in and the game will begin when all players are ready.

As of right now theres 4 open slots, I think once 4 people join the game will autostart? If more people want to play I'll change it but once the game starts its locked in

@Guy whenever you want bb
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Post by brassherald »

I'm in, I went with Teddy. I am reading a biography about him right now, so it is appropriate.
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:47 am

Post by Maestro »

Tempted to go Poundmaker because I love him and his alliances. But can people not annihilate me if I play Mali? That sounds like fun in this game, right? :P
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:02 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 42, Maestro wrote:Tempted to go Poundmaker because I love him and his alliances. But can people not annihilate me if I play Mali? That sounds like fun in this game, right? :P
I wasn't going to be as aggressive as Teddy usually is, I just saw that they changed some of his things for the new expansion and wanted to try it.
GuyInFreezer
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
GuyInFreezer
Magical Girl
Magical Girl

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:34 am

Post by GuyInFreezer »

In post 42, Maestro wrote:Tempted to go Poundmaker because I love him and his alliances. But can people not annihilate me if I play Mali? That sounds like fun in this game, right? :P
Mali is glorious
Show
"I used to think you had this elegant-trolly, minimalist playstyle. Then I realized the playstyle is ~Lazy~
The true enlightenment was realizing that they are the same thing."
~fferyllt

"who the fuck fakeclaims Tracker like that
WHO THE FUCK DOES THAT"
~Alisae
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 am

Post by Maestro »

I’m playing Kupe right now and if you ever want a fun steamroll game just play him on Island Plates
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:19 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 43, brassherald wrote:
I wasn't going to be as aggressive as Teddy usually is, I just saw that they changed some of his things for the new expansion and wanted to try it.
Americas new change (+1 favor for each wildcard slot) is probably really understated. By the tier 3 governments that's like +10 per turn or something ridiculous. I really like that it adds to American niche as a civ thats really vanilla early game but slowly starts to snowball into a world power by the modern era
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:23 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 46, Elbirn wrote:
In post 43, brassherald wrote:
Americas new change (+1 favor for each wildcard slot) is probably really understated. By the tier 3 governments that's like +10 per turn or something ridiculous. I really like that it adds to American niche as a civ thats really vanilla early game but slowly starts to snowball into a world power by the modern era
I feel like America was always kind of that way, but yeah, I like the idea of this
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:35 am

Post by Elbirn »

Oh yeah it is how they've always been designed, I just mean how the new change further complements it

So for the cloud game we just need maestro to ready up/confirm his civ and then we're started ^_^
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 am

Post by Maestro »

I’ll do that momentarily. Still deciding from this AM. If we’re all online at once can the save same be loaded, played live with all players online, then re-saved as a Cloud file...? Worth looking into.

Return to “The Arcade”