FTL: Limited Information (Federation Victory!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:56 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Jump 1

Hyperspace (n)
. A parallel dimension that allows faster-than-light travel. Movement in regular space is, per the laws of relativity, restricted to the speed of light. However, time does not pass in hyperspace, so it provides a shortcut allowing for faster-than-light travel; because time does not exist, nor does speed, and thus there is no limit on how far you can move.
You get to work on board your new ship; brand new, as it happens, this one recently arrived to replace a ship lost to the Rebels ten jumpcycles ago. You're just getting familiarised with the controls when you realise that you're already in space; presumably someone panicked and jumped away.

It's a pretty boring view, though; there's nothing here. OK, so there's a couple of stars nearby, but no planets. I guess there isn't anything to do here other than continue to familiarise yourself with, and set up, the ship.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Post by Enter »

Too late.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Post by Enter »

Ok so funny story I meant to say "too late" as a joke because i hadn't actually jumped yet, but apparently I miscommunicated how I wanted to do things in the PT so we jumped. at least now we have some time between us and the rebels
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 pm

To be honest, I'd probably have undone the jump after the misunderstanding came to light (I'm keeping lots of backup saves in case of disasters like that) if not for the fact that nothing happened as the result of the jump, and thus it didn't matter that the ship wasn't properly set up yet.
scum
town
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Arty beam is same as vanilla I think

We've got a Burst laser II to start, which is also pretty close/identical to vanilla stats

There's also an EMP Ion which charges slightly faster than the laser, deals system and ion damage (but not hull damage), possible stun and good chance of fires.

Current weapon system can only power one weapon at a time (laser or ion), and both weapons are pretty energy intensive.
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

assuming we have 1 shield now we should pool our scraps into shields 2 asap
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Post by Enter »

I can impulse around this beacon but I don't know what that will do. Or why I would do that. I think this is dead space. There's a star with a blue light around it and it's a bit out of the way from the exit but relatively cloe.

@mod I can't discuss how many jumps away it is specifically, correct? What are the rules on using words like "a couple, a few, several?" I wouldn't mean them to mean exact numbers.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Right, you couldn't give an exact count numerically. As long as you don't define what your approximate words mean, that should be OK.
scum
town
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Post by the worst »

We do have some kind of augment which speeds up shield restoration but indeedy, shields 1.

We have oxygen at 100% and I'll leave that system on - medical room is on standby at the moment (I'll leave that system off until needed of course)

Doors can be controlled by anyone within the door room.
Sensors can be checked by anyone in the sensor room.
Whoever accesses the system receives this privately.

Sorry if this is common knowledge but I assume it's at least somewhat in my domain. ;)

Please be careful about using numbers — callforjudgement
Last edited by callforjudgement on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:50 pm

Post by Enter »

Real life fact unrelated to the game (I don't know if this is true at all in the game and if these numbers are bad I'm sorry I'll delete them but I thought this was interesting):

EDIT: Numbers taken down for reasons.
Sorry boys.
Last edited by Enter on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Post by Enter »

Also not sure if we need it at maximum (not sure if we're allowed to discuss oxygen numbers here), but maintaining high increases risk of fire IRL, not sure if this is true in game or not tho
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:24 am

Post by Varsoon »

Hey now, I'm the one that decides Fuel purchases and Logistics.

I think we should really upgrade our door system early on, too. I just don't want invaders being able to run around our ship willy-nilly.
@Enter: Don't know how much you read earlier, but can you make it clear that you want to always convey enemy locations to me so that I can know where to go for a fight? Otherwise, I'll be pretty blind and useless down here in the Engine room.

Anyways, folks, our ship is not damaged at all (yay!) and we're sitting pretty comfortably on fuel for this region.
@Mod: Do we all start with scrap, how's that work?
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:26 am

Post by Varsoon »

@Mod: Who will be informed of if a fire happens?

If possible, I'd like for us to just vent oxygen to deal with fires since there's not a ton of point to us scrambling around the ship to put them out. I'm also kinda bad at putting them out, given, y'know, scythes for hands.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:30 am

In post 86, Varsoon wrote:@Mod: Do we all start with scrap, how's that work?
Everyone starts at ⛯0. Whenever the ship gains scrap, it'll be split evenly among the players (unless you agree a different split). You can freely trade scrap with each other (e.g. to pool scrap for a purchase), and (unlike other numbers) may talk about amounts of scrap directly.
scum
town
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am

Post by Varsoon »

Righteous.

Anyway, I'm in the Engine room now and have decided on a power heirarchy that prioritizes Oxygen > First Weapon > Shields > Engines > Other Weapons > Medbay (unless people need healing, then energy moves from Engines to Medbay)

Edited out numbers — callforjudgement
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:17 pm

In post 87, Varsoon wrote:
@Mod: Who will be informed of if a fire happens?
Anyone who's in the same room as the fire, or responsible for a system that's on fire. Also anyone in the Sensors room.

Incidentally, is everyone set up and ready for their next jump? I'm happy to wait if people still have decisions to make, but don't want the game to stall due to everyone waiting for everyone else.
scum
town
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Aw, I didn't think I had any numbers in that post. Hm.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Varsoon »

Oh, wait, yeah, now I realize what ya meant. Makes sense, d'oh.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by Varsoon »

I'm ready for the jump.
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

Let us move.

I'm against the idea of Doors upgrades early, depending on how easy it is to counter boarding vs a normal game. With an Engi on Doors, Mantis, Rock, Slug and good vent positions, those scraps may be better spent elsewhere.

You can always turn oxygen off if something else needs powering ;)
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Jump 2

Scout (n).
Due to speed-of-light delays, it's hard to determine what's going on at interstellar destinations. Hyperspatial scanners do exist, but are expensive and hard to mantain, so most militaries make heavy use of scout ships that jump aimlessly from beacon to beacon until they have something to report.
We seem to have had bad luck: the Rebels chasing us haven't found us, but a random Rebel patrol did. They immediately fire up their engines to try to put some distance on the beacon ready for the next jump, but that doesn't stop them shooting at us, and it definitely doesn't stop us from shooting back.

Fighting at range means a lot of missed laser shots; we take no damage, but we can hardly get through their defences. So the only thing we can do is try to mislead them about our intentions, feinting in one direction and shooting off in another. We definitely don't want to stay here long enough for the Rebels to train their hyperspatial scanners on us, so our only option is to get out of here before the report of our position reaches the Rebels.
Last edited by callforjudgement on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scum
town
PvtUrist
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
PvtUrist
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Post by PvtUrist »

I can't aim for shit

this feels familiar
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:02 pm

Post by Enter »

In post 96, PvtUrist wrote:I can't aim for shit

this feels familiar
Just like shooting womp rats, eh kid?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Jump 3

Asteroid field (n).
Any area where the chance of a collision with a celestial object is high enough that the shields come under pressure. A ship with a reliable shielding system can function fine in an asteroid field, but they tend to be avoided by smaller and civilian ships.
We didn't have much time to navigate after the last jump, so this is where we ended up: the middle of a sea of rocks. It's not just us here, either; a pirate was lying in wait, ready to take advantage of the disruption to our shields. Luckily, their shields aren't all that good either, and I don't think they were expecting an enemy as well-armed as we are.

For the first ten seconds or so, both of us are wide open to weapons fire, with our shields just struggling to hold off the asteroids. Luckily, the worst manages to bring the shields up just in time to block the enemy's first shot, and Enter manages to steer around an asteroid that we were approaching at the same time.

Our own weapons do minor damage to the pirate ship, disrupting their weapons fire. However, they get it fixed fairly quickly; they couldn't do much about the damage to their ship structure, but they could get their weapons up and running again, and they disrupted our shields just as an asteroid arrived. People might want to react to this, so I've paused the game and am awaiting instructions. (More detailed information will be posted in private topics.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:22 pm

You hear a hurried radio report coming from the ship's bridge. It seems like Enter got hit by the asteroid; he's not badly injured, but the ship's controls are inoperable and the bridge is on fire.
scum
town

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”