[MARCH CHALLENGE]

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:05 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

Counter Strike3 Terrorists (Mafia)
9 Counter-Terrorists (Town)

Rules
  • 3 Players are assigned to each of {Knife, P250, AK-47, Steyr AUG} randomly. This is public information (Named).
  • Mafia has X-shot kills that can be used once per night. A kill reveals weapon used.
  • At the start of the game, the BOMB is planted in a random LOCATION A B C or D (Semi-Open). The mafia is informed of this location.
  • In addition to a lynch, players vote for a DEFUSER. If DEFUSER is town, he
    must
    choose a LOCATION to investigate. If DEFUSER is scum, nothing happens.
  • During each night, mafia may place at most one member in each of the location A B C or D as a CAMPER.
  • If the LOCATION has the BOMB but no CAMPER, town immediately wins.
  • If the LOCATION has a CAMPER, the DEFUSER is killed, and the weapon used and location of death is revealed.
  • If the LOCATION has no CAMPER and no BOMB, the DEFUSER survives.
[Tentatively set X=1 right now?]
Last edited by DrDolittle on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:15 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

yup bomb always have to be camped, as is per usual. I didn't like 7-2 since if one scum got lynched it was effectively game over. I upped the numbers a bit
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #70 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

I'm not too afraid of balance issues, since I can always throw mafia X-shot NK or town more CTs, but I wonder whether it would be a fun setup to play - or does it deviate too much from mafia in general?
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #71 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:20 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

In post 68, callforjudgement wrote:Town doesn't know where the bomb is, so they're as likely to pick the bomb's location as any other.
Actually this is not true... if town investigates A and dies, then posterior probability is higher that A has the bomb. Suppose actually B has the bomb. Say its 2 town 1 scum going into night. Does scum camp A and hope for an investigation there, or does he camp B to be safe?
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #73 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

I also am a bit nervous about mountainous nature since there's no way to get rid of good towns. probably throw in a X-shot NK somewhere
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (isolation #5) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

In post 72, callforjudgement wrote:I'd be inclined to choose 8:3 as the correct numbers rather than 9:3; I think you have the right idea by changing the numbers round though.
Is that with the 1-shot NK or nah?
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #75 (isolation #6) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

after playing with power-town players like RC I realize that if nightless scum doesn't have some form of kill, then their win rate will be low, and their experience painful. however the good thing is there's usually only 1 or 2 people like RC in a game, so too many kills is not needed

(inb4 RC gets mad at me for treating him like an object... it's a sign of respect :lol: ok)
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #77 (isolation #7) » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

^ nah I edited afterwards.

Maybe i wont make it nightless and instead 3:13 hmmm. I'll sleep on it. Thanks for the feedback callforjudgement
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #92 (isolation #8) » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:05 pm

Post by DrDolittle »

is not nice you missed me jangles
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:20 am

Post by DrDolittle »

i guess nl is a broken strategy since you can just send the same guy 4 times till he visited all the location, and if he never dies, then he's scum, and lynch him.

but even so just modify the setup with plurality and it should be solved, or add in more townies and make the game with NKs.
DrDolittle
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
DrDolittle
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #112 (isolation #10) » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 am

Post by DrDolittle »

SS – I like this a lot. It’s basically what a good theme needs. A standard mafia game with an added level of complexity in decision making.

Elephants – It’s a good one. The theme is excellent. I wonder how much of the game is dictated completely by the pregame though.

NSG – kind of vanilla but cute. Gameplay-wise, basically restricting the claim and PR space. Some of these roles seem inherently better than the other tho? Like Neap and Cop and JK

Ceejaynova – I have a soft spot for cute games, and this one thematically not bad at all. Jingle’s right no-lynch x2 seems like a good strategy, so maybe needs a small modification, but definitely workable.

NK 15 – Fun little setup… a bit nervous about the VIP + Inventor swing, but there’s good stuff in the uncertainty on how to distribute the roles. Perhaps toning down the power of the two roles would be good.

BBM – Pretty funny setup. I’m a bit worried about strong town then having to clamor to coordinate who is hammering etc, and who is protected etc., and it might get messy.

CFJ – I don’t like smalltowns too much, and but I think this one might be fun to play. A key issue of smalltown is that even though the role is public, the usage of the role is subjected to WIFOM. I would personally put in more redirection roles though, because it feels like with high p, the game can unravel by day 2.

TL: The idea is there like Elephants, and I do like it. Need to think about unravelling as there’s not that many options for WIFOM ccs (since 2 power level is def fixed, and can be claimed in thread)

BNL: I think the concept of D R N is interesting, but might end up being too confusing in a game where a lot of targeting is involved. Caution that deaths might be able to confirm a lot of townies if BG keeps cycling back, and fake scum pr claim is possible but really fucking hard to do.

Jingle – It’s a game that’s playable! But it's boring :(

Oka – I don’t like games that too swing-y and draw dependent. They’re no fun.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”