Another thread about WotM/WotC but its about replacements

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 16, MaryJoLisa wrote:I haven't yet figured out how things work around here with creating alts and such, but based on my current understanding, it seems like a player can easily circumvent a black list by just creating an alt. Lycanfire said that mods can request no alts in a game, but how much admin/mod support are they getting to enforce their alt-bans?

If it's illegal for players to have undeclared alts, but it's not illegal for them to use VPNs as long as they declare their alts, then what's to stop VPN users from creating multiple accounts, each with their own associated alts? Are mods at least checking that mains are using a standard, identifiable IP with a clean history both on this forum and on a place such as Stop Forum Spam?
Game mods aren't site mods and don't really have the authority to say "no alts allowed" beyond what they know or think to be true. They can enforce it by not allowing people to play, sure, they don't get to request site mods to step in and tell them if someone is an alt though.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen no precedent for "site mods can tell game mods when a player in signups is an alt account" whereas there is (I believe) precedent for the opposite
In post 14, BNL wrote:In a game I played someone tried to publicly replace out based on someone else repalcing in. This resulted in the mod replacing the replaced player rather than the one who requested the replacement.
That's a breach of site rules now, modkill the offending player, their slot is compromised through their own actions. Hey, that also solves the problem
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

And it's covered under current rules, so it's not a problem scenario anymore
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 26, PenguinPower wrote:it has been explicitly stated that players "should not use an alt to get around another player or mod's blacklist"
How do you verify the legitimacy of a "player blacklist"

I think trying to create rules around that is a slippery slope
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #29 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:06 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

About the replacement thing, I think logistics wise it isn't feasible to take more time to verify with the players about a replacement - that's pretty disruptive, the game might need to be paused, etc, and will need to wait for the moderator and player to come online additional times (remember, prod timers are generally 48 hours on this site - it's not unreasonable to expect an extra 4 days for a replacement to come into the game if you have to verify with everyone, and then have the replacement online again at the right time
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #35 (isolation #4) » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

When you make an account you have to specify if it's an alt or hydra for the mods to know
My understanding is that this information is then stored on file somewhere easy to access (for site mods)

That method could be used if the alts aren't trying to evade site staff
Also, I'm curious, you're just being told whether they're alts, but not who they are, and do you just ask for accounts you're worried about or anyone you don't recognize

Return to “Mafia Discussion”