False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #147 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.

This is not something given to those who try for it.

This is something given to those who earned it.

It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #149 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 131, Flavor Leaf wrote:White knight Replacement award should be body of work rather than individual performance is what you’re saying, right? I agree with that.
Everyone advocating for the award was HARD against that, and I will defend that stance.

It absolutely
should NOT
be a body of work award.

Specifically because quality of replacement > quantity of replacements.

I'd rather have a person replace in once and have that player absolutely be an amazing addition to the game...
...Than see a player replace into twenty games and be mediocre-at-best in all of those games.

If the award were body of work, it would by default go to the people replacing in the most--which is not something in of itself we should be rewarding. It's the quality of the replacement that counts.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #151 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 150, Firebringer wrote:
In post 148, Firebringer wrote:
In post 147, mastina wrote:
In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.
This is not something given to those who try for it.

This is something given to those who earned it.
It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.
This is garbage.
Not only was that comment garbage mastina. You contradicted yourself in the next fucking sentence.
There's nothing contradictory about that.
It is not an award given to those who try for it.
It is an award given for those who earned it; these don't contradict.
It is for a single game based around the quality of the contribution to that game--that is a case of someone earning the award; it is not a case of giving it to someone who tried for it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #153 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 152, Firebringer wrote:Yes it is, you moron.
Saying it's contradictory doesn't make it so; explain how because those statements literally don't contradict at all.
It is an award given to someone who has earned it, not to someone who tried for it.
It is an award given for someone who was a quality replacement, not to someone who made a large quantity of replace-ins.

The only way to try for the award is to go out of your way to replace in, and if aiming for it with it as a body of work award, you're going to deliberately replace in to as many games as you can to try and receive it--quantity.
Whereas being nominated for being a stunningly amazing replacement, quality, means you earned it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #156 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 155, Alisae wrote:you can try for something and earn it at the same time.
When it comes to awards?

No, not really.

Sure generically speaking in life there are things that work that way.

But aiming for a scummie is not one of those things.

If you try to aim for a scummie, you are probably not going to earn it--and that's just a plain fact.

What makes an award be an award is that it is rewarding a positive trait.
Aiming for a scummie is glory-hounding, the polar opposite of one. It is not something to be rewarded.

It's usually not the things that were meant to be scummie-worthy that get scummie nominations; it is the things that were done for other reasons that happened to meet the standards of the scummies that earned the nominations, because they were things done for other reasons that met the standards.

There's no rule that says you can't deliberately try to win a scummie--but bluntly? Trying to win one will negatively affect your chances to win one. Because by trying to win one, you focus too much on the winning of it and not enough on what the real merit behind the award is meant to be. Even if you consciously aim to meet the criteria listed for the award, if your goal is to earn it rather than your goal not being to earn it, subconsciously it will have
some
negative effect.

And people will pick up on that negative effect. They won't necessarily think, "oh they're trying deliberately to earn that scummie". But they'll just not think it was worthy of a nomination, for whatever reason. Whereas if you didn't try for the award but were worthy of it, they'll think, "oh, that was notable and worth nominating".

Basically the motivation behind your actions has a way of affecting how those actions are perceived, is what I'm saying.
Aim for the award and with that award as your goal, your actions aren't perceived as being what you were hoping they'd be--nomination-worthy.
Don't aim for the award and yet manage to meet the criteria for the award, your actions aren't perceived as what you were hoping they'd be--instead of whatever your real reason was, people will think it was nomination-worthy.

Trying for an award is self-sabotaging for chances of winning that award. Because through the filter of your true goal, you lose sight of the method to make it a reality.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #159 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Post by mastina »

I think you're using a very different definition of earn and try than I am.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #160 (isolation #6) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 159, mastina wrote:I think you're using a very different definition of earn and try than I am.
Because absolutely, yes.
If you took a gun to your head and pulled the trigger intentionally trying to kill yourself, you
tried
to kill yourself (which is trying for something); I wouldn't say that you earned death.

Earning death would more be like being a murderer sentenced to lethal injection.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #161 (isolation #7) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Post by mastina »

Also, quoteth Reckoner chairman of the Scummies on why the award was originally removed:
The reason it was eliminated in the first place was a narrow pool of candidates and also it gamifying something that should be done because you want to do it.
I don't like it being based on quantity of anything.
I absolutely agree with that assessment and that's what I was getting at.

The award should not be on quantity, but on quality.
Not done because you were trying--but because you wanted to, and in wanting to, you earned it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #162 (isolation #8) » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 161, mastina wrote:Also, quoteth Reckoner chairman of the Scummies on why the award was originally removed:
The reason it was eliminated in the first place was a narrow pool of candidates and also it gamifying something that should be done because you want to do it.
I don't like it being based on quantity of anything.
I absolutely agree with that assessment and that's what I was getting at.

The award should not be on quantity, but on quality.
Not done because you were trying--but because you wanted to, and in wanting to, you earned it.
Basically:
If you want to replace in, then you want to replace in.
If you're trying to get an award for replacing in, you don't
really
want to replace in; what you really want is the award for replacing in.

An award for quality helps prevent that, because it goes to someone who well and truly wanted to replace in, and who in doing so earned the award by being a stellar replacement in some fashion.

You're not going to earn the white knight award by wanting it.
You're going to earn the white knight award by wanting to replace in and bringing high quality from that desire.

The former might superficially look like the latter--but it's subconsciously not the same in execution, so it'll never actually become the latter.

That's what I mean.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #182 (isolation #9) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:On the topic of a taly’s hydra topic, I do like that idea. Hydras seem to be pretty popular right now.
Said it at the time it was suggested, will say it again.

As one of the strongest proponents of hydraing on site. (I literally am still bitter they're banned from Normals because I lost that fight.)
I am against the idea, and that says something.

Hydras can, and SHOULD, be nominated for awards that they are eligible for.
They are PARTICULARLY eligible for awards like best town performance, best scumteam.
A long-running hydra may be eligible for a body of work award.
A rather hilarious hydra might be eligible for a kodak nomination.
A game modded on a hydra would be appropriate to nominate the hydra involved.
Etc.

Hydras don't need a separate award, because they are eligible for all of our current ones--and in fact. On at least one occasion and I think MORE than one occasion. A hydra has WON the scummie award for that year. Yet alone, the number of hydrae nominated (which is significantly higher than the number of winners since we have a finite number of winners and a near-infinite number of theoretical candidates).

"Best Hydra" or something of the sort is far too subjective of an award; what metric could you possibly use to determine it, when there are so many different reasons to hydra? A teaching hydra is different from a modding hydra is different from a hydra for fun is different from a hydra for activity reasons (either individual head wouldn't be able to play) is different from a deliberate abomination-style hydra is different from a strategically-oriented hydra (two players deliberately trying to augment each other to be better than they'd be individually).

Yet they are all hydras that are no less valid than the other, so which would you call superior? You really can't. It's a bad idea all-around.
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:I also understand where Mastina’s coming from, though. I agree that people shouldn’t actively go out of their way to try and win a scummie, but I still think it’s okay to want to be nominated, especially if you feel you deserve it. I don’t think people should actively play in a way where it’s like “oh, they’re just doing that for the scummie”, they should just play the game as they normally would.

For instance, I replace into a lot of games, and I’ll replace into games specifically because I feel no one else is going to sometimes, but maybe that’s more of an addicted to mafia adrenaline than anything else, and I don’t try to go for the White Knight scummy, but if I had a great replace in, or multiple great replace ins, i’d like to think a scummy nom isn’t out of the question.
That is what I was getting at, yes.

However:
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:I think it’s okay to try for scummies, just don’t compromise your games because of it.
My point is that on a subconscious level, that's literally impossible. By aiming deliberately to get the scummie, you
are
compromising your game; your goal is to get the scummie, not do the thing the scummie is for. You need to do the thing the scummie is for in order to get the scummie, but because your aim is to get the scummie, your focus isn't on the thing, it's on the scummie.

That being said: aiming for scummie quality in what you do? Absolutely I encourage
that
. But that's not the same as aiming to try and win a scummie. Trying to be scummie-worthy in the quality of your work is, essentially, trying to be
the absolute best you can be
; trying to win a scummie is, essentially, trying to win a trophy. The mindsets are superficially similar but entirely different in execution.

Which means, that yes:
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:Don’t be an Oscar bait movie just for the sake of potentially getting an award, basically.
That is EXACTLY what I meant.
In post 178, Jingle wrote:100000 Shit tier replace ins < 1 Stellar replace in sure.
3 Good replace ins > 1 Great Replace in.
I don't think anyone's arguing that we should have tw keep track of the number of times each player replaces in and just auto-award the scummy to whoever replaces into the most games. I definitely think that someone who consistently performs well as a replacement and replaces in 10 times should win over someone who dives wholeheartedly into a single game, even if their impact on that one game was bigger.
And yeah, arguing that body of work makes it all about quantity is pretty :thorface: as well. It's not like we just hand Don Corleone to whoever wins the most scumgames in a year.
Respectfully, Jingle: as a veteran Scummies judge? You should know better.
Take a look at how people have judged the scummies for body of work nominations versus non-BoW nominations over the years. I can attest to the process being pretty much exactly that.

Judges are lazy.
I don't mean literally lazy.
I mean that judges are busy. They have real lives to attend to, they have other site obligations to attend to, they are volunteers and this isn't a job for them and many judges have secondary duties that trump their judging desire--as a consequence, they tend to procrastinate in their judging. Heck, you know this better than anyone as
you missed the deadline for judging

Body of Work awards are, quite simply, not given the attention they deserve by judges.
Keep in mind that to judge someone who has replaced into 20 games, to properly judge them, you'd have to look at each and every single one of those games, not just their iso but the effect they had on the game, something you'd need context from not available in an iso--yet no judge has that time.

People who are outside of the process, in their naivety, in their idealism, think, "Pshaw! You judges are lazy. If *I* was a judge, then I'd actually do all the work!"
And then we go, "Okay, you think you could do it? Sure, you're in; you're a judge!"
...And then they don't actually do it because nobody actually can.

So the award tends to go to the people the judges have the larger data set on.

It's easier to skim 20 games than it is to in detail read 7 games.
So the judges are going to favor the player who replaced into the 20 games over the player who replaced into 7 games, unless the player who replaced into 20 games had a strong compelling reason not to be seen as the better candidate.

Is that a flaw in the judging process, why yes, yes it is. Within the next couple of years, with the new SSC getting their footwork established and a good grounding, maybe with luck if we focus on it we can fix that problem. (We're aware of it and we talked about it but the idea of fixing it is on the backburner last I checked.) But as-is, with the system we've got right now?

It literally would just go to the person with the most replace-ins as a body of work award, unless the person with the most replace-ins strongly fucked up in some of those games to the point of being disqualified.

And that won't change until the judging system's revamped.

So I suppose I should say: until such a time as the judging system is fixed to remove that flaw, I don't support it being BoW. I'm not against the idea altogether, but for it to happen, other things need to change first.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #345 (isolation #10) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 328, davesaz wrote:This post was pretty much invisible. I'm using sepia. Dunno why the colors seem messed up.
They're messed up on silver, too.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #559 (isolation #11) » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am

Post by mastina »

Paperback Writer
11/15/19
mastina
popsofctown
popsofctown took the time to write appropriate flavor for everything--and I do mean, EVERYTHING. Roles had flavor. The game's mechanics had flavor justifications. Daystarts had flavor. Every single Votecount (with Votecounts being given daily! We're not talking one vc every five pages, we're talking a Votecount almost every page!) had flavor. Nightstarts had flavor. Just about every single mod post, had flavor, and not just short flavor. Paragraphs upon paragraphs of flavor, all matching the source material and still managing to reflect the effects of the game. She went above and beyond the call of duty for the flavor and even apologized when her v/LA delayed her ability to provide it.

Best yet, this focus on flavor never detracted from the game. She didn't neglect VCS for flavor, delay things for flavor. She did all the duties expected of a moderator, AND, on top of those duties, provided some killer flavor. Exceptional writing and dedication to a narrative while not neglecting the game.
Last edited by Alisae on Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #645 (isolation #12) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 am

Post by mastina »

In post 629, popsofctown wrote:I was thinking the other day that the problem with trying to come up with modfather nom is the modding experiences I've liked haven't come from prolific mods and the prolific mods have let me down some.
Is this the problem behind the scummies lacking nominations where people think someone must be prolific in order to nominate them?

Because uhhh...nowhere in the scummies does it say a user must be prolific to receive a nom?

If you see something nomworthy, regardless of the user, then nom it. Doesn't matter if someone won Paragon last year, you can nom them again this year. Ditto don corelone. Similarly, you can nom someone as a rising star even if they've won one, or both, of paragon/don corelone at some point. And the vice-versa is true as well. Doesn't matter if they're a total unknown--if they do something which you think is award-worthy, then nominate it!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #830 (isolation #13) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:51 am

Post by mastina »

I'm disappointed in rl stuff interfering with me nominating. :(
(My cat got sick last night--badly enough that we needed to take her to the vet. I had understandably different priorities than making last-minute nominations.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #833 (isolation #14) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 831, Alisae wrote:that sounds like a sad way to spend your new years
poor kitty, will she be ok?
It is indeed.
And yes, she will be okay, hopefully. With medication + the right diet. (She got mild pancreatitis apparently?)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #834 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:48 pm

Post by mastina »

I'm pretty sure that a game which technically started in 2018 but ended in 2019 is eligible for 2019 awards rather than 2018 awards, sooooo...
Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina schadd_ mystery box of silver While this game might be a Micro, it is absolutely a contender for a game of the year. The players played absolutely exceptionally, the game was a ton of fun, it was ridiculously well-designed and it is an example of everything the site should strive for in terms of games.
Speaking of that game...

Moment of Brilliance
1/1/2020 mastina skitter30, Pink Ball, Slaxx, Nibbui (maybe also the worst and pobodoboq, but those four for sure) mystery box of silver This game was almost a perfect town win. The town had the scumteam nailed dead to rights on D1. This in of itself would've been impressive, but it was made moreso by the fact that I was one of the scum players in question. There was basically no wiggle room to be had. Everyone had the right idea involved. The town worked excellently together and they never really had any way to lose due to their smart play all-around. While the scumteam did manage to get a couple of mislynches in, this does nothing to diminish just how thoroughly we got STOMPED.

Mad Scientist
1/1/2020 mastina schadd_ mystery box of silver Over the course of 2019, schadd_ ran multiple games off of the MBOS theme, and each and every single one of them would've been worthy of this award, but I decided to nominate the original because it was the original. Every game pioneered new, inventive, creative twists on the game of mafia, usually involving the mafia being forced to give up something that they really wouldn't want to have given up, to knowingly give the town an advantage, while also occasionally giving the town a more town-controlled variant on the idea.

This game will also be references in nominations for skitter as Paragon (I believe this nomination has been made but I want to write up my own version of it to be considered as an Nth), Pink Ball for Rising Star (I know he's been around on-site as pinturiccio before, but he's on a whole new level this year as Pink Ball), and maybe Nibbui (maybe, because I'm not sure how active the scummer is). Plus schadd_ for modfather.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #836 (isolation #16) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 pm

Post by mastina »

Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Starcraft Mafia This game was an amazing game all-around and was ridiculously fun to be a part of. More than that, it was either this game or its sequel which gave rise to the discord which would eventually become basically an official-unofficial mafiascum discord moreso than the actual mafiascum discord. It was fairly well-designed, and was a fight to the bitter end where anyone could have won given slightly different actions. The scumteam played remarkably well overall to cinch the win in the end, but the game was still rather entertaining.

Goodfellas
1/1/2020 mastina the worst, Keyser Soze, Performer Starcraft Mafia The scumteam, as mentioned, performed REMARKABLY well this game. At every stage, they were able to manipulate the town to their advantage and even when they were on the verge of defeat from the curveball of the third parties, they managed to manipulate the circumstances into orchestrating the town's ultimate loss in a series of actions that had they played out any differently could have led to the mafia losing.

Mad Scientist
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Starcraft Mafia To my knowledge, this was the first game Krazy ran which featured his signature contribution to the game of mafia where players could change their order in the playerlist, and that this would have some minor, but notable, effect on the roles in the game--this mechanic was something revolutionary that I had never seen before, and yet it has gone on to be featured in at least one other game mod's game, and I can tell you that a game *I* am planning on running is going to steal this very mechanic because it is such a damn good one and Krazy utterly owns it.

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Starcraft Mafia I could nominate any of the Starcraft Mafia games for this award but none are more special to me than the first. The game was incredibly complex, incredibly intricate, with utter insanity in terms of roles and their interactions with multiple third parties, and yet in spite of all the complexities in the game it was fairly well-balanced where any faction could easily have won for quite the majority of the game.

I also need to make a Modfather nomination for Krazy for his work over 2019, starting with that game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #838 (isolation #17) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Post by mastina »

Goodfellas
1/1/2020 mastina pinturrichio, jjh927, Alchemist21 Starcraft Mafia 2 Krazy's games have a bit of a curse of having a tremendously competent scumteam turn a setup which was otherwise fairly balanced into a scum win. They played this game tremendously well, basically stomping the entire town with excellent setup spec on their part, good pegging of the town roles, nice manipulation of players, making clutch fakeclaims, and overall managing to stomp the town. They played remarkably well as a cohesive unit where any of their members being absent would've not allowed the win to have materialized so cleanly.

While we're here, might as well:

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Starcraft Mafia 2 This game is just as worthy as the first for how excellently it was crafted. Krazy took the lessons learned from the first game in stride to improve upon the minor flaws that the original game had to craft this masterpiece of a setup, and of all the Starcraft games Krazy ran, I believe that this one was the one with the absolute most highest positive praise all-around (though I could be mistaken, would need to double-check).
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #839 (isolation #18) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:31 pm

Post by mastina »

Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina Tatsuya Kaname Anime U-Pick King-Sized As tilting as a huge section of the game was due to the MASSIVE amounts of TvT fighting involved which were utterly destructive, overall, the game more than qualifies for being a Game of the Year. The game was incredibly complex, with multiple unique mechanics in play (see my below nominations), and yet was fairly well-designed and overall
reasonably
balanced. The game was an utter slugfest, where in spite of a D1 scum lynch, half of the scumteam remained vastly under the radar and widely townread, even part of core townblocs, for the majority of the game. This made the game remarkably close and while multiple town players came close to having the right solve, until basically the end of the game nobody quite had it right. The game could have gone either way until near the end when the last scum got a damning result on them.

Mad Scientist
1/1/2020 mastina Tatsuya Kaname Anime U-Pick King-Sized The new mechanic this nomination is for is the innovation of what amounts to a "draw and discard" option for a role--at one point in the game, every player had the option to discard their original role in favor of an unknown alternative role. This innovation went hand-in-hand with the innovation of the unlocking role aspects; almost every single role in the game, both original AND updated, had mechanics that unlocked or were specific to N1, N2, and N3.

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Tatsuya Kaname Anime U-Pick King-Sized The game was one of the most complex games made of 2019, bar none, and yet was excellently crafted. Every single player received a role with multiple facets to it, multiple abilities, modifiers, etc. which progressively were unlocked as the game progressed. Everyone had the ability to gain a second, new, entirely different role...which would also have all of these things involved. In spite of this complexity, Tatsuya Kaname made the game work fairly smoothly and it was just a magnificently-crafted setup all-around; all the roles had abilities suited to the flavor involved, an impressive feat for a game of that size.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #840 (isolation #19) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:53 pm

Post by mastina »

Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina RadiantCowbells Undertale Mafia This game was absolutely one of the best games of the year. The setup was remarkably crafted to have a self-balancing mechanic, the roles were unique and inventive, and the setup was also really well-balanced. The mechanics were great, the setup was great, but the players were the best part of the game. The game was ridiculously fun to play in and the game was incredibly well-played, overall by both factions. Included was a clutch moment where the town took out half of the scumteam, but while that did swing momentum back into the town's favor, it still took a while for them to finally kill the last scum due to how well they were playing overall.

Mad Scientist
1/1/2020 mastina RadiantCowbells Undertale Mafia While the idea of a self-balancing mechanic is not exactly new and the influence of Varsoon in the Mercy/Genocide mechanic was visible, the exact implementation of it was decidedly an innovation of RadiantCowbells. It was based around the idea of letting the town get back into the game if they were at a disadvantage, and vice-versa for the scumteam, where both sides had an in if they were getting crushed. It was incredibly well-crafted and really innovative.

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina RadiantCowbells Undertale Mafia The setup was remarkably well-crafted with the aforementioned innovative mechanic. The roles in the game did have multiple interactions with the mechanic, but not all of them revolved around it, so there were plenty of roles that were neat and inventive separate to the Mercy/Genocide requirements. The game was incredibly well-balanced and the roles excellently made with a beautiful, one of a kind, setup that I wish there were more games like in this day and age.

There's one more nomination from that game I'd like to make but I'm not quite sure if this is the right category, please assign it to wherever it's most appropriate:
Kodak Moment
1/1/2020 mastina Brown Eyes For this clutch moment in the game While the town had more or less half of the scumteam in their sights, they couldn't actually get any scum dead, so the game was looking an awful lot like it could have been a scum stomp--until Brown Eyes came along with this clutch triple-vig which while it did take out one town, landed on two of the scumteam's strongest members, giving the town much-needed information, much-needed direction, much-needed leeway to reverse their ill fortunes and turn the game around, which it did precisely that!

I said it at the time, and I'll say it again: the Something_Smart mislynch--what unlocked the aforementioned vig and permitted it to happen--is what ended up winning the town the game, because without Brown Eyes eliminating half the scumteam, the town would have never stood a chance.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #841 (isolation #20) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Post by mastina »

Since I was basically not a player in this game, I can make this nomination without it being a self-nomination, so:
Moment of Brilliance
1/1/2020 mastina Basically the entire town (u r a person2, pisskop, singletonking, Alchemist21, Nero and the 39 Volxens, DJ, Something_Smart, Chara, Almost50, RCEnigma, Katyusha; maybe more? Just...NOT me because I did fuckall that game.) Everything is Completely Normal Take a look at that game--notice something? Yeah...every single lynch was a scum lynch. The town never mislynched, not once. It was a complete and total town stomp. The town massacred the scumteam that game, in a large game. Now, say what you will about the setup (it was townsided), and it is unmistakeable that the scumteam due to a misunderstanding made a severe critical error in their night actions, but the scumteam had zero control over the game and the town utterly decimated them. Made more impressive--see how we have a Don Corelone nominee in the form of Flavor Leaf? You know why he doesn't have a pretty much perfect scumgame record for this year? It's because this town creamed him.

(I was also tempted to nominate Skygazer for Rube Goldberg for that game's design, but because it WAS townsided, I'm a little hesitant to submit that nom.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #842 (isolation #21) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Post by mastina »

Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina xyzzy Any non-dead person can post in this game This was one of the longest minis of all time, a record-breaking game, and for good reason. The game featured a self-explanatory mechanic and also featured numerous roles which were based in part around the central mechanic of getting key scummers to post, with roles revolved around various things such as admins posting, number of players who had posted, people posting from certain threads onsite, etc. The game was ridiculously fun and was fairly close, with the town having performed reasonably well but ultimately losing to a scumteam that made a clutch recruit in picking up RC (formerly not a player) into the game to manipulate the town into crossvoting in mylo. An all-around great game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #843 (isolation #22) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Post by mastina »

I'm like 99% sure this nomination was made already so consider this a very very lengthy nth if so, but just in case, in the 1% it wasn't:
Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle Vengeful Ghosts Vengeful Ghosts was a remarkably innovative game featuring excellent mechanics and one in particular rather neat role. The basic idea of the game was simple enough; the dead get to influence the living. The implementation of it was brilliant, crafted in such a way that there was really two games going on instead of one. While that second game did garner some frustration from those in the first unaware of this second level because this aspect of the game was not fully disclosed to them and they had no way of influencing it, it was still brilliant overall.

Beyond the setup, the play in the game was incredibly good on both sides. The town immediately lynched a scum on the first day, and the graveyard town managed to vig a second scum not long after, even when the living town wouldn't. From there, the game looked like the town would stomp...until the absolutely brilliantly mad call from jjh that turned the game around and gave the scumteam a massive edge. This edge was dampened by a town outplay, where jjh's gambit ran afoul of the worst's own gambit.

This brought the game to a clutch lylo where in a fit of paranoia, it looked like the town might make the wrong call on the vig...until what amounted to the literally last minutes of the game where the town was able to lock in the vig of the last scum member for the win. It was an utter blast start to finish and one of my favorite games of the year, showing off everything good to have in the game.

(This also will contribute to a jjh don corelone nomination and an Ankamius Paragon nomination, maybe a Krazy Paragon nomination, because jjh's scumplay has improved leaps and bounds this year and over the course of 2019 there's been no two players I've had more respect for than Ankamius and Krazy, who I always trusted to be the town core to carry me through, but more on that when I make those nominations.)

That nomination might've been made, but I feel the need to highlight the above clutch scum move as well which I'm less certain was nominated (and I'm not sure this is the right category for but I'll give it a go):
Kodak Moment
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 For this clutch gambit To give some context:
The dead in that game gained access to a vig kill to use every single night.
The game was flipless.
jjh, dead, in the dead thread, faked a scumslip which would "incriminate" his "scumbuddy", me, mastina. The town at the time had a game-winning, gamebreaking, lock solve with their planned vig/lynch order that would've led to a 100% guaranteed town win where scum could not have won--but with this gambit, jjh got enough players to vote to vig me, that he and DEB could coordinate a hammer of the vig on me, killing me instead of the player the town was originally going to vig, which gave the scumteam an opening back into the game to have a chance at winning it where none was there before.

I would also like to make more Jingle nominations for that game, too!
Mad Scientist
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle Vengeful Ghosts The idea of having the dead affect the living is certainly not a new one and has been done before--but none have done it as well as Jingle did. He
nailed
the balance between the living and dead in a way which was in my opinion absolutely unique and original, and it worked
brilliantly
. Truly a well-designed mechanic and one which I would love to see more of.

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle Vengeful Ghosts Not only was the mechanic well-designed, but the setup was beautifully engineered as well. The game was pretty much right on the dot balance-wise, a tricky feat given that it was a flipless game (flipless games traditionally being incredibly scumsided due to the town lacking information). Each side had an equal chance at winning, and the roles, while subtle, did make very good use of the setup and ultimately made the difference in the game by the slimmest of margins. It was a beautiful setup and wonderfully designed all-around.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #845 (isolation #23) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:52 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 844, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:Um, Mastina, me and Ari were both in MBoS and we lasted one day longer in it than tw and he gifted that cop/tracker thing to us.
the worst gifting the cop/tracker thing to you was one of the reasons he's one of the players to potentially nominate from there. :P
That was a smart move on his part and his play that game was mostly good, aside from the fakeclaim which was what got him mislynched. (Had he not made that one mistake, probably WOULD have been a perfect town game.) He had good reads and was fairly town overall and when he made an action choice, chose a good target.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #846 (isolation #24) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Post by mastina »

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Skygazer Pokemon Fusion UPick Skygazer crafted a very good setup that was pretty balanced overall and made use of the mechanics from the source material fairly well. It was really well-designed as a game and I didn't have any complaints about the balance of the setup as it was quite fine. It's an example of the excellent quality of work Skygazer usually produces (though as mentioned she can have slightly off-games).
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #848 (isolation #25) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Post by mastina »

Oh whoops, forgot this:
Kodak Moment
1/1/2020 mastina Flavor Leaf For this absolutely huge scumslip that he talked his way out of To give some context to this situation: the link is to a neighborhood between Flavor Leaf (scum) and RCEnigma.
RCEnigma was a proven town mason at that point in time and there was plenty of time left in the day. It was posted during the day so the scumteam couldn't nightkill RCE and they couldn't lynch him. FL accidentally did a legitimate scumslip, outing the entire scumteam and their entire gameplan...to the confirmed town mason.

Yet he managed to talk his way out of it soon after, get a quicklynch, kill RCE, and from there, the scumteam went on to sweep the game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #851 (isolation #26) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Post by mastina »

Game of the Year
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle Alisae versus Pine Pretty much every single "town versus Pine" game has been at the very least an honorable mention in past scummies if not winning at least one if not more scummies as a result of the game and this game is no different. It is absolutely one of the best games of the year, even if it is the absolute worst town trainwreck of any of the three games so far. In spite of my multitude of frustrations with the game, it is despite those utter moments of insanity, still one of the most fun games I played all year long and while it was incredibly toxic at many times, it also had a fair amount of bonding within and a multitude of memes were born from this game and many hilarious moments happened.

The setup was incredibly well-designed and while there were a couple of accidents in the design process, these happy accidents happened to ultimately end up creating a weird sense of balance to the game--the game was advertised as being a bit scumsided, but due to the accidents involved, some of the innate scumsidedness was mitigated by an accidental advantage the town was allowed to have which was not considered in the design of the setup. This might have been unintended, but it made for the quality of the game to be better because the accidents ended up helping the town more than it did the scum, when the town did need that extra bit of help.

While there were some rather unfortunate town night actions, the town did have a lot going for it in terms of some clutch plays which threw the scumteam a rather hard curveball and gave the town multiple ins to winning the otherwise-unwinnable game, including a mislynch-bait player managing to kill themselves and conftown another mislynch-bait slot, doc saves that kept the town with extra members, and general net-positive maneuvers.

But of course, this was counterbalanced by Pine, as per the usual, masterfully manipulating the town and out-gambitting them. Many town players did have most of the right reads, but they couldn't get enough consensus to chain lynches on scum one after another after another. This game ended up being one of the longest games on-site of all time, and in spite of the many frustrations involved, it is absolutely one of the highlights of the year of 2019 because I don't think there is any game in 2019 that was more iconic than this game was and it had a notable, visible impact on site culture. While you may argue that this impact was a negative one, even if so the fact that it pulled so much weight in regards to mafiascum as a whole should say something of the game's significance.

Rube Goldberg
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle Alisae versus Pine The game was remarkably well-designed and featured the latest spin on the drafting mechanic between Pine and his opposition. All the roles were well-crafted and while Jingle designed them more for fun than for balance, they ended up fitting the game incredibly well. This was compounded by a happy accident of an unintentional chance in balance that made the self-admittedly-scumsided setup be less so, giving the town a little bit of an extra boost to help them out. The game was remarkably well-crafted all-around and the work which went into creating it is absolutely commendable, requiring considerable amounts of coordination and work to pull off an epic of this scale.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #852 (isolation #27) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Post by mastina »

The Modfather
1/1/2020 mastina schadd_ schadd_ has some of the best modding in games for 2019 and designs excellent setups that he runs remarkably well, especially when it comes to themes, but he also does well elsewhere as well.
In the last year, his modding repertoire is incredibly long, including games like the original MBoS, MBoS 2, MBoS 3, Open 759, MBoS 4, the large versions MBoS 5, two large normals that he ran, as well as another mini normal, MBoS 6, and a newbie to boot.

His games, no matter how complicated the mechanics, are modded excellently, he has a charm about his moderation style with its unique quirks, and these serve to enhance his already-superior moderation which includes incredibly frequent votecounts, good answers to questions, and a level-headedness where he seems fairly chill but is still in spite of this aura incredibly professional.

The Modfather
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Krazy has designed, then ran, some of the most complex games onsite in 2019 and done so consistently with incredibly good modding all-around, where he provided frequent votecounts that were well-formatted, gave good answers, and ran a smooth ship where he would resolve issues in-game swiftly and promptly and I always felt that he was doing an incredibly professional, tight, ship, one which every moderator on-site should strive for.

His accomplishments to his name include the original Starcraft Mafia, Starcraft Mafia 2, Starcraft: Legacy of the Void, and Krazy's Anime UPick. He also is known for running numerous marathon games of the game Conspiracy and overall is just one of the best moderators onsite and he absolutely deserves this award in recognition for his consistently top-notch moderation.

The Modfather
1/1/2020 mastina Jingle This award is mostly for Jingle being the mod of two of the best games of 2019, Vengeful Ghosts and Alisae versus Pine, both of which required top-notch modding in order to stay on top of them. If those two games are not in of themselves enough, I can list other games if need be that he moderated but those two alone should be sufficient proof of him having earned the award.

He designed incredibly complex games which he then ran while not absolutely flawlessly, pretty damn close to. He was as on-top of moderation as was humanly possible, constantly answering questions, providing the right information, for games that were incredibly complex and needed constant supervision. He was lighthearted, and yet still wholly professional, dishing out the necessary harsh words of mod when necessary and encouraging a positive, friendly atmosphere for games that were designed to be fun. And fun they were! He created fun games that were reasonably balanced, planned out things almost perfectly and the 'almost' comes from the need to in such complex games occasionally improvise on the fly due to every single possible variable not being possible to calculate (if there's literally thousands upon thousands of interactions, it's humanly impossible to get literally every single one of them defined in advance so you have to settle for preplanning a few hundred upon hundred of them and sorting the rest ingame and Jingle did both), and he handled those in-the-moment calls remarkably well. He is one of the best mods onsite at delivering consistently high-quality games and is absolutely a modfather.

The Modfather
1/1/2020 mastina Skygazer Skygazer might have fallen off the modding train in the later half of 2019 not modding many games past a point, but her efforts prior to then deserve recognition. In particular, I'd like to highlight her good moderation in Everything is Completely Normal (which in spite of its townsidedness was still really good fun), her ridiculously good Large Normal, and Pokemon Fusion UPick.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #853 (isolation #28) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Post by mastina »

Paragon of Mafia Hunters
1/1/2020 mastina Ankamius Ankamius might swear that 2019 has been a terrible year for her, but I steadfastly disagree with that as her multitude of games where she ended up being nightkilled can attest to--you don't earn the mafia nightkill consistently in almost every towngame you play if you've been playing poorly.

To put just a few of the games highlighting this, she was in Tatsuya's Anime UPick for only the shortest of times, and yet she was immediately nightkilled for being one of the only voices of reason in that game who had almost the exact right train of thought necessary to get the correct game solve, and it was only through a misrepresentation of her thoughts that her contributions were diminished; had they been shown in full, then the game would have been a town win far far easier.

In Undertale Mafia, her hydra died N1 and while their reads may not have been the best, they earned that nightkill through sheer force of their obvtownness and the threat they represented due to how reasonable and rational they were, even while incorrect in their conclusions.

Ankamius's performance in the non-reviewed game was also fairly good from my viewpoint as a spectator and her death was one of the things which let the scum win.

In Madness At Port Arthur, she was a key player in securing the town win, working well with the other members of the town.

While she had a notable confrontation with skitter's hydra in MBoS5, she still was one of the most threatening players in the game with solid plays, good observations, and an overall net-positive direction for the thread.

Her hydra was the MVP player in this game who the scumteam, TWICE, tried to kill and the scum multiple times tried to get the town to kill them, but failed, in part because of her efforts because the players involved were that critical to the town's chances at winning.

And in Alisae versus Pine, she managed to identify the deepscum who was Pine's intended lategame carry...on D1. In the dead thread, you could follow along with her thoughts as she, with zero spoilers, managed to reason with and identify multiple town players, point out their errors, and hone in on the majority of the scumteam; she was one of the best players in the game, in spite of having died at the beginning of the game, and her early death was one of the main reasons the town couldn't win.

Plus she also was very close to the correct solve in this game, too.

There are probably a lot more games of hers in the last year which I'm missing (she's played on numerous different accounts including a ton of hydras and I only searched for posts made on Ank and Blake), but suffice to say, she is hands-down one of the best town players on-site and usually basically a policy-kill. She might not think much of her own talents, but I most decidedly do because she is just a better player than just about everyone else as town.

Paragon of Mafia Hunters
1/1/2020 mastina Krazy Krazy is one of the only players who I say rivals Ankamius in being an utter monster of a town player, and it shows on his numerous accounts. (I only searched Krazy and Wagonomics in spite of knowing he's played on about a dozen different accounts this year, so there's plenty more than these not listed!)
He was one of the best players in No Deadlines who earned his nightkill handedly.
He was the N1 nightkill in Any Non-Dead Player because of the pure sheer threat he represented to the scumteam, more or less having them dead to rights on D1.

He was again the N1 nightkill in a Large Normal because of the threat he posed.

He was one of the key players in Anime UPick and basically one of the MVPs who helped contribute to the town win by a hair's breadth, always once of the most reasonable players in the game.

I mentioned this in the Ankamius nomination but he was a key member of the Team RWBY hydra that ate a N1 Nightkill in Undertale Mafia.

He was one of the key players in the perfect town win from Everything Is Completely Normal.

As mentioned in the Ankamius nomination, his hydra was a key member of the town in MBoS5.

And as mentioned in the Ankamius nomination, Arkham Asylum was one of the best players in Vengeful Ghost, and Krazy was a part of that hydra.

I realize there is a fair amount of overlap in Krazy's clutch towngames and Ankamius's clutch towngames due to them sharing them via being in the same hydra, but that's for damn good reason, too; the two are the two town players I respect the most right now and it is something they most definitely have earned. (I'm sure I've missed more Krazy games, too.)

Paragon of Mafia Hunters
1/1/2020 mastina skitter30 Skitter might've been well-known for her scumplay last year, but this year what has really shined is exemplary townplay.
She was one of the strongest town players in Starcraft Mafia.
She was THE clutch player in securing the town win in the original Mystery Box of Silver game--on the last day, on lylo, she was able to, through careful analysis and logic, perfectly deduce completely and entirely 100% accurately the entirety of the scumteam's plan, start to finish, purely through her own skill at analysis. She NAILED not only who was scum, but WHY they were scum. What the scum did, why they did it, it was THE game to demonstrate why skitter is a monster as town and not to be underestimated. We picked her to be the BP tracker because we thought she was the best of the bad options available; she on the last day was able to figure this out and prove that in the end she was the absolute worst pick we could have made because picking her to be bulletproof made her be able to win the game.

She did fairly well in this game.

Her hydra was one of the better players in MBoS5.

She was even the N1 nightkill in this game.

Overall, even if she didn't win games and even if she made mistakes and even if she thought that her play in a game wasn't the best, she has shown herself to have consistently good analysis, consistently good reasoning, is usually fairly obviously town, is fairly charismatic, and is just a big huge PRESENCE as town.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #854 (isolation #29) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Post by mastina »

Don Corelone
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 "...jjh as DON CORELONE?!? Really?!?" Yes, really.
When people think of jjh, they think of his excellent townplay. He could very easily be nominated for Paragon this year, or maybe even Rising Star due to his site culture presence and strong performance as both alignments--the reason why I am deciding on Don Corelone specifically for him as the nomination though rather than those two is that he was around before and noted for his strong townplay in 2018. Everyone knew he was good back then as town, and everyone knew that as scum he was incredibly Creaturesque in how he was a lurksack when being a scumfuck, someone whose skills were rather...lacking in the scumplay department.

The thing is.

This year, that changed.
While his performance in this game was not changed from the lurksack description and he did end up lynched, jjh was a key contributor to his scumteam the entire time he was alive and his scumteam could not have won without his input for them.

In Krazy's Anime UPick, he had one of the best traitor performances of all time, perfectly handling that role and managing to directly set up his scumteam for the win with how he divided the town and in his death gave the scumteam the leverage they needed to power through the rest of the town.

In Vengeful Ghosts, he pulled off the absolute most clutch scum performance of all, both having fooled most of the living players into thinking he was town and when the dead vigged him, he pulled a key gambit that caused the town who was in an autowin situation, to no longer be in an autowin. He took the game to lylo with his gambit on a "scumslip" that was faked, when his team was previously nailed dead to rights and he almost won as a direct consequence of this.

He did his best to drown out the pleas of the town players who were dead that could change the final vig as well; his interference almost caused the town to misvig in mylo and kill town instead of the last scum.

Over the course of the year he's gone from being one of the easiest scum players to kill, to being one of the most nightmarish scum players to face who whenever he is in a game as scum, his team is in a good position to win as a direct result of his efforts. And that is why he is a master manipulator worthy of the title of Don Corelone.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #855 (isolation #30) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by mastina »

Ehhhh screw it I'll add him as a nomination for this as well.
Paragon of Mafia Hunters
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 jjh might've been known for solid townplay in 2018 as well but that does nothing to diminish that he has been putting on INCREDIBLY solid performances in 2019 as well and his past excellence should do nothing to discourage me from nominating him for his current excellence as well.

The main game which comes to mind is his performance in Alisae vs. Pine where he was one of THE biggest threats to Pine and his early death via scum nightkill is all the proof in the world of that to how much of a threat he posed.

But he was also basically the star town player of this game,
where start to finish he showed excellent logic, was fairly good at explaining why he was town, giving reasonable reads, good logic, and an overall solid performance.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #857 (isolation #31) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 856, Krazy wrote:
Don Corelone
1/1/2020 Krazy Alchemist21 Starcraft 2 Mafia: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=78296 -- he endgames as scum
Pokemon Fusion U-Pick: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=80240 -- he endgames as scum
Krazy's Anime U-Pick: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=79782 -- he endgames as scum

Alchemist21 knows how to endgame as scum, helping to seal victories in the clutch. If you were looking to learn fundamentals in scum play to showcase to a new player, which is what this award is largely for, Alchemist21 might be the first player I thought of to use as an example of how to play scum.
I had forgotten that Alchemist21 was scum in both of those latter games and only remembered him being scum in SC2.

A hearted
nth
because he definitely knows his way around as scum and is an excellent scum strategist who knows how to plan the path to the scum win.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #860 (isolation #32) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 858, Krazy wrote:
Rising Star
1/1/2020 Krazy popsofctown Pops is a very pleasant player, extremely wholesome, but also competent and convincing. pops is very active in the larger site discussions and GTKAS, pops has had a strong year on both sides of the equation.

In Alisae v Pine, she was basically the only town player to correctly infer Ankamius's crumb -- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80863

In Large Normal 221, she boomed nomnomnom which gave town a very significant advantage going into endgame -- viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80012

She also won this scum game viewtopic.php?f=51&t=81421 and was a big player in some other games (Starry Night).

While pops has come and gone from the site from year to year, she had a great year and should be an example of positivity and wholesome behavior that the site desperately needs more of
Nth
popsofctown is absolutely a Rising Star in the community. She's been increasingly active across multiple facets of the site and has put in incredibly strong performances in her mafia games. She is absolutely a star of the community and she has risen up this year so she is a rising star. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #862 (isolation #33) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 pm

Post by mastina »

Decided to start these off with this nomination, may as well:
Rising Star
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 jjh has shown remarkably good performances this year and has continued to solidify his established presence onsite, becoming a notable contributor across the site. He has multiple strong games and continues to get stronger and stronger, being logical, active, and all-around invested.

here are some links to some of his strongest games.

Rising Star
1/1/2020 mastina Pink Ball (/pinturicchio) When I first learned that Pink Ball was pinturicchio, I was fairly shocked--pint to my memory was not very remarkable as a player, and yet every single time I saw Pink Ball, he performed
exceptionally
well. In the last year, he's gone from someone who was barely around, barely known, and not really renown for his play as either alignment, to one of the best players onsite regardless of his alignment and he has gained incredible prominence around the site.

He had an incredibly strong performance in Starcraft Mafia 2, and a strong town performance in Fire and Ice.

He was one of the star players of the original Mystery Box of Silver.
He was one of the star town players in Tatsuya's Anime UPick.
His hydra, mostly due to him, was the N1 nightkill in Starcraft Legacy of the Void and for good reason.
He was a star player in Undertale Mafia and was half the reason the town won that game; without him, it would've been impossible.
He was a star player in Krazy's Anime Upick and was one of the only people throughout the whole game to consistently nail the scumteam and was THE largest thorn in their side the whole time he was alive.
He still did well in Pokemon Fusion UPick.
And he was one of the star scum players in Alisae versus Pine and a significant contributor to the scum win that game.

Noticing a trend?

He is, consistently, a star player for his team, regardless of what alignment that team is.
He is incredibly entertaining, he is rather jovial, funny, just an all-around standup guy who you love to be around and he's damn good at whatever he tries to do. Dude is a legend and given how he was basically an unknown prior to this year, I'd say he's grown into the Rising Star role really well.

Rising Star
1/1/2020 mastina Menalque Menalque is literally this year's the worst in my eyes, in that by the time next year rolls around we'll be wondering why he's not received more recognition already. He'll have further grounded himself into the site culture, taken over jobs in months which took other scummers years to acquire. He has become incredibly active onsite and he has become incredibly prolific and more than that he is damn good at the game and continues to grow with each and every single game he plays.

Even when he loses, he takes the advice in good stride. An example I can think of which comes to mind is I Don't Remember the Name of This Game. There, he was rather obviously scum and he swore he shouldn't have been...but when TheFonz gave him a heart to heart talk in the postgame,
Menalque listened
, and actually DID take it to heart, improving from the experience and becoming a better player as a result.

He has also been putting forward remarkably good games particularly as town.

He was one of the best players in Pokemon Fusion UPick.

He was remarkably good in Make Me Regret This UPick.

And honestly he was one of the best town players in Alisae versus Pine.

And then the real kicker--look at his performance in this game.
What alignment would you think that was, given his scumgames earlier in the year?

...The answer is that was a scum game, NOT a town game--and THAT is the growth which demonstrates WHY Menalque is a rising star. He went from fairly obvious scum to a star scum player, because he listened to the honest feedback, took it to heart, and legitimately improved from it.
And here is another scumgame where he performed well.

He also has a good sense for balance and I can attest to his skills in that department.

He is all-around a pillar of the community in formation and he is everything that everyone new to the site that wants to stay around should strive for because he is just...REMARKABLY good at...well. Everything.
Last edited by mastina on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #865 (isolation #34) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Post by mastina »

White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina LolWagons/Slaxx Mystery Box of Silver Slaxx might not have been the most clutch player in that game for securing the town win, but he WAS half the reason the town could win so decisively in spite of that on one virtue alone--he replaced into a slot that was previously mislynchable and through his skill made it almost impossible to lynch and he was who the final scum was up against in lylo, a fight that he helped skitter win.

White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Dannflor No deadlines Mafia Dannflor took a slot that was on the verge of being lynched for being an obvious scumfuck into being a slot that the serial killer nightkilled for being so town--literally, Dannflor didn't die because he was too scum; he died because he was too town. And that was the polar opposite of how the slot was when he first inherited it. That speaks miles to how well he was able to turn the slot around and in doing so he helped his team secure the win.

White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 Starcraft Mafia 2 jjh took a slot which was complete and utter deadweight to the scumteam and turned it around into a slot which helped his team secure the win. Sure, yes, he did still end up getting lynched eventually...but not before he was able to sew the seeds of discord necessary to allow his team to win. Him replacing into the game singlehandedly helped his team turn it around and due to his synergy with his scumteam, he was able to help them win at the cost of his own life.

Three from the same game:
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Severa(RadiantCowbells) Tatsuya's Anime UPick The reason I make this nomination is because RadiantCowbells was a significant swing in the direction of the game, overall a step in the right direction. He took a slot that was incredibly divisive and turned it into a fairly townread slot. While he didn't help the town gain coherence, his replacement did help take his slot in an overall positive direction for the game.
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Ankamius Tatsuya's Anime UPick Ankamius was the opposite of Severa: whereas Severa (RC) didn't shift the divisiveness of the town, Ankamius didn't shift the perspective of her slot...because she was already seen as universally town, replacing into a widely-townread slot. Because her time in the game was short, she tried her hardest to make a positive impact on the nature of the game and in her limited time alive, she was incredibly successful at that endeavor.
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Pink Ball Tatsuya's Anime UPick Pink Ball, however, wins the award of awards for doing BOTH--his slot was one that was at a severe risk of being mislynched on D1. There was a very real chance that his slot would've been the D1 mislynch if not for Pink Ball coming in and turning the slot around. From there, turning the slot into an obvtown, never-lynched slot, he was able to be a reasonably positive force for the game directing it in the overall right direction to move, a total turnaround from where it was before.

White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina the worst Undertale Mafia nomnomnom was, as a slot, not in the best of positions. While nom was not exactly a top-tier lynch candidate, nom was in no way, shape, or form a player in a good position. Enter the worst, who turned the slot around into a widely-townread slot, who was the last scum lynched for damn good reason: because he put in a REMARKABLY solid performance. While he didn't end up winning his team the game, without him they would have been handedly stomped easily.

White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Slaxx Ballroom Blitz From the moment Slaxx replaced in, the game went from what looked like a town stomp to a scum stomp; he completely and totally turned the game around in its entirety. You can measure the game in terms of pre-Slaxx and post-Slaxx. Pre-Slaxx, NicoRobin (his slot) was a deadweight lurker on the verge of being policy-lynched and the entirety of the scumteam was in the sights of most town players; there was at least one or two players who had the EXACT solve, or close to, and were pushing it.

Post-Slaxx, the town fell apart because he was able to dismantle their cohesion and singlehandedly shift the momentum of the game away from lynching scum and onto town...and from there, the town which had the scum basically nailed dead to rights, fell apart and caved in on itself, accusing each other where before they were on the right track. If not for Slaxx, that game would have been a town win but because he replaced in, the scum won.

Another double:
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina Rhinox Mystery Box of Silver 5 Rhinox took a slot that was on the verge of being lynched and turned it around into a slot that managed to endgame. That in of itself says it all. Before Rhinox, the town was on the right track to having the scumteam poe eliminated, but after Rhinox, the scumteam was able to stall out the lynch of scum, garner JUST enough defenders, and orchestrate town paranoia, town doubt, which caused the town to believe that players who should've been locktown, weren't, and that players who should've been lockscum, weren't. He might not have been incredibly 'obvtown' as scum, but he didn't need to be; he did exactly what he needed to do in order to win the game.
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina pisskop Mystery Box of Silver 5 pisskop did similarly to Rhinox for his own slot. Fuscosco was on the verge of being mislynched, but once pisskop came in, his slot became much much much harder to lynch. He gave good reads, was fairly convincing, and while his presence wasn't enough to cinch a town win, it was good enough to get the town much closer to that win than they otherwise would have been.

Yet Another double:
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina jjh927 Vengeful Ghosts jjh replaced into a slot that, while not exactly a universal scumread, was looked upon very unfavorably as a whole. The whole town either thought of the slot negatively or more commonly, apathetically; nobody was really townreading ZZZX and the slot was contributing nothing to the game.
Enter jjh.
jjh managed to powertown and gain the favor of half of the town.
While the other half, the posthumous members with a vig, killed him, he didn't let that stop him from orchestrating the town's demise, a plan he almost pulled off flawlessly. He was clutch in the scum's planning, their mastermind of the game, and reversed the scumteam's fortunes from fucked to almost-winning.
White Knight
1/1/2020 mastina OSTENTATIOUS (the worst) Vengeful Ghosts The only reason jjh didn't end up winning the scumteam the game is because the worst had a clutch performance of his own, replacing in at just the right time. He was able to do what no holder of the slot before him had done, bridging the gap between the living and dead successfully, communicating with them cleanly and managing to develop a game-winning plan, a gamebreaking plan which if followed would have left the scum in an autolose situation where the scumteam had a 0% chance of winning. jjh did manage to mess that plan up...but because of the worst holding back a key aspect of his role, jjh's plan didn't succeed. jjh's plan was to kill the worst after pulling the gambit and leave the town win no idea why the dead had deviated from the plan...but the worst having an ace up his sleeve he deliberately held back, allowed him to communicate what had gone wrong in the dead thread due to jjh, and this information was vital to the living being able to bounce back.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #873 (isolation #35) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:54 am

Post by mastina »

I'm very very sorry, but can I please make one last nomination?

Nominate the worst for community contributor

I realize that this isn't properly formatted but I can't do proper formatting on my phone and by the time I'd have computer access, the deadline would've passed.

So I'll edit this post with proper formatting and a formal writeup in circa four hours.
The short version: look at the worsts contributions to the site; replacement request, gtkas, and more which I am not sure I am allowed to mention right now but which is undisputable in being valuable. (Ali will know what I mean.)

Edit:

Community Contributor
1/2/2020 mastina the worst Replacement requests; GTKAS; his work in this hidden forum (which his contributions to are not yet public to my knowledge) The shortest of short versions: look at the worst's contributions to the site, and you will instantly know why I made this nomination.

The longer version:
The worst has gone, in the span of less than a year, from doing nothing official and being just a very memorable member of the community, to--true to his status as last year's rising star--doing EVERYTHING.

He is responsible for handling the replacement requests thread, and since his tenure, there's been a very obvious reduction in time between a request being made and it being filled. He stays incredibly on top of things, and it is very rare to see a replacement request be open for longer than 24 hours; before he took over the job, it wasn't uncommon for it to take 48 hours or more.
And I contribute the severe reduction in time between the request and the slot being filled to his excellent work.

This, IN OF ITSELF, would've made him worthy of being a community contributor, but there's more!
He recently took on the additional responsibility of modding and running the GTKAS forum and continuing the legacy of Sky gazer with his own spin. This is a bit recent, so the proof of the value he gives there isn't yet plentiful, yet it certainly augments the above.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!
the worst has ALSO taken on a behind the scenes job where he has done rather considerable amounts of work.

This job is to my knowledge not yet public but very soon it will be.
This work may not be visible to the public, but the likes of you, Ali, and I know precisely how much work worstie is doing and how valuable his contributions there are.
That job in of itself would be nomination worthy.

And yet, the worst is doing it IN ADDITION TO the other two jobs mentioned.

He is literally doing everything humanly possible for the site, and mafiascum is the better for it.
Last edited by mastina on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #882 (isolation #36) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 am

Post by mastina »

In post 875, Alisae wrote:
In post 873, mastina wrote:I'm very very sorry, but can I please make one last nomination?

I realize that this isn't properly formatted but I can't do proper formatting on my phone and by the time I'd have computer access, the deadline would've passed.

So I'll edit this post with proper formatting and a formal writeup in circa four hours.
The short version: look at the worsts contributions to the site; replacement request, gtkas, and more which I am not sure I am allowed to mention right now but which is undisputable in being valuable. (Ali will know what I mean.)
If you can just post a write up, I can take care of the rest
Well I'd prefer the writeup to include links to the replacement request thread and the gtkas subforum, but to do the writeup otherwise:

The worst has gone, in the span of less than a year, from doing nothing official and being just a very memorable member of the community, to--true to his status as last year's rising star--doing EVERYTHING.

He is responsible for handling the replacement requests thread, and since his tenure, there's been a very obvious reduction in time between a request being made and it being filled. He stays incredibly on top of things, and it is very rare to see a replacement request be open for longer than 24 hours; before he took over the job, it wasn't uncommon for it to take 48 hours or more.
And I contribute the severe reduction in time between the request and the slot being filled to his excellent work.

This, IN OF ITSELF, would've made him worthy of being a community contributor, but there's more!
He recently took on the additional responsibility of modding and running the GTKAS forum and continuing the legacy of Sky gazer with his own spin. This is a bit recent, so the proof of the value he gives there isn't yet plentiful, yet it certainly augments the above.

the worst has ALSO taken on a behind the scenes job where he has done rather considerable amounts of work.

This work may not be visible to the public, but the likes of you, Ali, and I know precisely how much work worstie is doing and how valuable his contributions there are.

He is literally doing everything humanly possible for the site, and mafiascum is the better for it.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #886 (isolation #37) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:52 am

Post by mastina »

Fuck fuck FUCK.
I JUST CHECKED AND THERE'S NO GOODFELLAS NOMINATION FOR ALIVPINE.

Nominate the scumteam of Alisae versus Pine--Pine, Lady Lambdadelta, PenguinPower, Pink Ball, Dannflor, Iconeum, Krazy, and Cephrir--for Goodfellas.

In every Pine versus the town game, Pine might have won in the end…
…But none of his victories were as decisive as this one. The scumteam TROUNCED the town. They immediately correctly identified just about every single town PR in the game and thoroughly wrecked the town every step of the way. Every member was vital to this success and any one of them could have carried the game to a win. While the town players had many scum in their sights, none had EVERY scum in their sights; the scumteam orchestrated a division in the town where any given town player who was scumreading one scum, would be townreading a different scum.

In prior games, it went to a 4/3p lylo--this one never came close, with almost every single scum player surviving to the end.

It was one of the best, most cohesive scumteams of the year, and it is no small coincidence that most members of the scumteam are nominated for other awards regarding their excellent plays throughout the year. The team was stacked, synergized incredibly well, and perfectly dismantled the town every step of the way. While the town threw the scumteam some curve balls, these proved to be only temporary setbacks to their inevitable victory. The universal consensus was that even if the town managed to get one, two, even three more scum lynches, the scumteam would have STILL prevailed due to their associatives leaving a massive trail of false evidence that left the town without a clear road to victory. Or any path resembling a chance at winning for that matter.

Edit:
Proper formatting:
Goodfellas
1/2/2020 mastina Pine, Lady Lambdadelta, PenguinPower, Pink Ball, Dannflor, Iconeum, Krazy, and Cephrir Alisae versus Pine In every Pine versus the town game, Pine might have won in the end…
…But none of his victories were as decisive as this one. The scumteam TROUNCED the town. They immediately correctly identified just about every single town PR in the game and thoroughly wrecked the town every step of the way. Every member was vital to this success and any one of them could have carried the game to a win. While the town players had many scum in their sights, none had EVERY scum in their sights; the scumteam orchestrated a division in the town where any given town player who was scumreading one scum, would be townreading a different scum.

In prior games, it went to a 4/3p lylo--this one never came close, with almost every single scum player surviving to the end.

It was one of the best, most cohesive scumteams of the year, and it is no small coincidence that most members of the scumteam are nominated for other awards regarding their excellent plays throughout the year. The team was stacked, synergized incredibly well, and perfectly dismantled the town every step of the way. While the town threw the scumteam some curve balls, these proved to be only temporary setbacks to their inevitable victory. The universal consensus was that even if the town managed to get one, two, even three more scum lynches, the scumteam would have STILL prevailed due to their associatives leaving a massive trail of false evidence that left the town without a clear road to victory. Or any path resembling a chance at winning for that matter.
Last edited by mastina on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #891 (isolation #38) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:54 am

Post by mastina »

In post 887, gobbledygook wrote:Mastina think of the judges :cry:
Shit, the turkey has uncovered my plan to make every judge except for me ineligible for judging so that I can have the sole deciding vote on who wins, must adjust my plan.

:shifty:
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #893 (isolation #39) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 873, mastina wrote:I'm very very sorry, but can I please make one last nomination?

Edit:

Community Contributor
1/2/2020 mastina the worst Replacement requests; GTKAS; his work in this hidden forum (which his contributions to are not yet public to my knowledge) The shortest of short versions: look at the worst's contributions to the site, and you will instantly know why I made this nomination.

The longer version:

In post 886, mastina wrote:Fuck fuck FUCK.
I JUST CHECKED AND THERE'S NO GOODFELLAS NOMINATION FOR ALIVPINE.

Nominate the scumteam of Alisae versus Pine--Pine, Lady Lambdadelta, PenguinPower, Pink Ball, Dannflor, Iconeum, Krazy, and Cephrir--for Goodfellas.

In every Pine versus the town game, Pine might have won in the end…

Edit:
Proper formatting:
Goodfellas
1/2/2020 mastina Pine, Lady Lambdadelta, PenguinPower, Pink Ball, Dannflor, Iconeum, Krazy, and Cephrir Alisae versus Pine In every Pine versus the town game, Pine might have won in the end…

Hi just formally announcing as promised that I have edited these posts with the appropriate formatting so they should be legal entries now. <3

Return to “2019 Scummies and Mashies”