Scummies Nominations 2019

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #150  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:03 am

In post 148, Firebringer wrote:
In post 147, mastina wrote:
In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.

This is not something given to those who try for it.

This is something given to those who earned it.

It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.

This is garbage.

Not only was that comment garbage mastina. You contradicted yourself in the next fucking sentence.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #151  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 am

In post 150, Firebringer wrote:
In post 148, Firebringer wrote:
In post 147, mastina wrote:
In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.
This is not something given to those who try for it.
This is something given to those who earned it.
It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.
This is garbage.
Not only was that comment garbage mastina. You contradicted yourself in the next fucking sentence.
There's nothing contradictory about that.
It is not an award given to those who try for it.
It is an award given for those who earned it; these don't contradict.
It is for a single game based around the quality of the contribution to that game--that is a case of someone earning the award; it is not a case of giving it to someone who tried for it.

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #152  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:06 am

In post 151, mastina wrote:Not only was that comment garbage mastina. You contradicted yourself in the next fucking sentence.
There's nothing contradictory about that.
It is not an award given to those who try for it.
It is an award given for those who earned it; these don't contradict.
It is for a single game based around the quality of the contribution to that game--that is a case of someone earning the award; it is not a case of giving it to someone who tried for it.

Yes it is, you moron.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #153  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 am

In post 152, Firebringer wrote:Yes it is, you moron.
Saying it's contradictory doesn't make it so; explain how because those statements literally don't contradict at all.
It is an award given to someone who has earned it, not to someone who tried for it.
It is an award given for someone who was a quality replacement, not to someone who made a large quantity of replace-ins.

The only way to try for the award is to go out of your way to replace in, and if aiming for it with it as a body of work award, you're going to deliberately replace in to as many games as you can to try and receive it--quantity.
Whereas being nominated for being a stunningly amazing replacement, quality, means you earned it.

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #154  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 am

In post 153, mastina wrote:
In post 152, Firebringer wrote:Yes it is, you moron.
Saying it's contradictory doesn't make it so; explain how because those statements literally don't contradict at all.
It is an award given to someone who has earned it, not to someone who tried for it.
It is an award given for someone who was a quality replacement, not to someone who made a large quantity of replace-ins.

The only way to try for the award is to go out of your way to replace in, and if aiming for it with it as a body of work award, you're going to deliberately replace in to as many games as you can to try and receive it--quantity.
Whereas being nominated for being a stunningly amazing replacement, quality, means you earned it.

And if people replace more into games because they are rewarded for such theres nothing wrong with that because it helps the site and helps the mods. If they are shitty replacements that can be reflected with judges judging on if they were positive influence or not.

And it is contradictory to say you don't get it for trying, you get it by earning it. Earning it means you ahve to input work in order to get something out of it. You don't get in healthy shape by doing nothing, you have to input some work. The idea you say we are just giving out awards as though no one is attempting for them is fucking stupid.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

Alisae
lolbalance
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2016
Location: Cali~ (PST)
Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #155  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:14 am

In post 147, mastina wrote:
In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.

This is not something given to those who try for it.

This is something given to those who earned it.

It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.
wat
(and no, this is not me asking for clearification mastina)

--

In post 151, mastina wrote:
In post 150, Firebringer wrote:
In post 148, Firebringer wrote:
In post 147, mastina wrote:
In post 121, Firebringer wrote:I had I thought I had a shot for and was really attempting to get (I replaced into 28 games in a year in hopes that would increase my chances),
And therein lies the problem.
This is not something given to those who try for it.
This is something given to those who earned it.
It is also not a body of work award; it is for a single game, making it an award based around your quality, not your quantity.
This is garbage.
Not only was that comment garbage mastina. You contradicted yourself in the next fucking sentence.
There's nothing contradictory about that.
It is not an award given to those who try for it.
It is an award given for those who earned it; these don't contradict.
It is for a single game based around the quality of the contribution to that game--that is a case of someone earning the award; it is not a case of giving it to someone who tried for it.
you can try for something and earn it at the same time.
Ali Plays!
Feel free to approach me on discord: Alisae#3437
I wanna get to know an Alisae! Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #156  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:28 am

In post 155, Alisae wrote:you can try for something and earn it at the same time.
When it comes to awards?

No, not really.

Sure generically speaking in life there are things that work that way.

But aiming for a scummie is not one of those things.

If you try to aim for a scummie, you are probably not going to earn it--and that's just a plain fact.

What makes an award be an award is that it is rewarding a positive trait.
Aiming for a scummie is glory-hounding, the polar opposite of one. It is not something to be rewarded.

It's usually not the things that were meant to be scummie-worthy that get scummie nominations; it is the things that were done for other reasons that happened to meet the standards of the scummies that earned the nominations, because they were things done for other reasons that met the standards.

There's no rule that says you can't deliberately try to win a scummie--but bluntly? Trying to win one will negatively affect your chances to win one. Because by trying to win one, you focus too much on the winning of it and not enough on what the real merit behind the award is meant to be. Even if you consciously aim to meet the criteria listed for the award, if your goal is to earn it rather than your goal not being to earn it, subconsciously it will have some negative effect.

And people will pick up on that negative effect. They won't necessarily think, "oh they're trying deliberately to earn that scummie". But they'll just not think it was worthy of a nomination, for whatever reason. Whereas if you didn't try for the award but were worthy of it, they'll think, "oh, that was notable and worth nominating".

Basically the motivation behind your actions has a way of affecting how those actions are perceived, is what I'm saying.
Aim for the award and with that award as your goal, your actions aren't perceived as being what you were hoping they'd be--nomination-worthy.
Don't aim for the award and yet manage to meet the criteria for the award, your actions aren't perceived as what you were hoping they'd be--instead of whatever your real reason was, people will think it was nomination-worthy.

Trying for an award is self-sabotaging for chances of winning that award. Because through the filter of your true goal, you lose sight of the method to make it a reality.

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #157  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 am

God. You are beyond awful.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #158  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 am

Image
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #159  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 am

I think you're using a very different definition of earn and try than I am.

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #160  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:55 am

In post 159, mastina wrote:I think you're using a very different definition of earn and try than I am.
Because absolutely, yes.
If you took a gun to your head and pulled the trigger intentionally trying to kill yourself, you tried to kill yourself (which is trying for something); I wouldn't say that you earned death.

Earning death would more be like being a murderer sentenced to lethal injection.

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #161  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:01 am

Also, quoteth Reckoner chairman of the Scummies on why the award was originally removed:
The reason it was eliminated in the first place was a narrow pool of candidates and also it gamifying something that should be done because you want to do it.
I don't like it being based on quantity of anything.
I absolutely agree with that assessment and that's what I was getting at.

The award should not be on quantity, but on quality.
Not done because you were trying--but because you wanted to, and in wanting to, you earned it.

mastina
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #162  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:05 am

In post 161, mastina wrote:Also, quoteth Reckoner chairman of the Scummies on why the award was originally removed:
The reason it was eliminated in the first place was a narrow pool of candidates and also it gamifying something that should be done because you want to do it.
I don't like it being based on quantity of anything.
I absolutely agree with that assessment and that's what I was getting at.

The award should not be on quantity, but on quality.
Not done because you were trying--but because you wanted to, and in wanting to, you earned it.
Basically:
If you want to replace in, then you want to replace in.
If you're trying to get an award for replacing in, you don't really want to replace in; what you really want is the award for replacing in.

An award for quality helps prevent that, because it goes to someone who well and truly wanted to replace in, and who in doing so earned the award by being a stellar replacement in some fashion.

You're not going to earn the white knight award by wanting it.
You're going to earn the white knight award by wanting to replace in and bringing high quality from that desire.

The former might superficially look like the latter--but it's subconsciously not the same in execution, so it'll never actually become the latter.

That's what I mean.

Alisae
lolbalance
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2016
Location: Cali~ (PST)
Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #163  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 am

OH MY GOD WE'RE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THIS
Ali Plays!
Feel free to approach me on discord: Alisae#3437
I wanna get to know an Alisae! Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Varsoon
Scatman
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #164  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 am

Yo, so, wait
If I run a game called 'Varsoon wins the Scummies'
and I design it with Alisae's help and it ends up having the most poppin' off best mechanics ever on site, most interesting roles, absolutely stunning flavor, and everyone has a great time
All that effort I put forward to making a great game doesn't get acknowledged and awarded with a scummie because the motivation I had for doing it was winning the Scummies?
Damn it, Alisae
Burn it all down

RadiantCowbells
People tried
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #165  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 am

everything mastina is saying is very silly imo
If you're Macho and someone tries to rolestop you, you never realise you're being targeted for a kill, so your machismo never gets challenged

Alisae
lolbalance
 
User avatar
Joined: October 31, 2016
Location: Cali~ (PST)
Pronoun: E (e/em/eir/eirs/emself)

Post Post #166  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:12 am

In post 164, Varsoon wrote:Yo, so, wait
If I run a game called 'Varsoon wins the Scummies'
and I design it with Alisae's help and it ends up having the most poppin' off best mechanics ever on site, most interesting roles, absolutely stunning flavor, and everyone has a great time
All that effort I put forward to making a great game doesn't get acknowledged and awarded with a scummie because the motivation I had for doing it was winning the Scummies?
Damn it, Alisae
Burn it all down
This is so sad Alexa, can we get this to 50K likes?
Ali Plays!
Feel free to approach me on discord: Alisae#3437
I wanna get to know an Alisae! Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: They hadn't become unseeing and unfeeling
Pronoun: He

Post Post #167  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:13 am

In post 158, Firebringer wrote:Image

I have no investment in who wins this argument but this post seems over the top (and not just because Mastina doesn't deserve this insult no matter how much you disagree with her - also because suicide isn't funny). Maybe take a few deep breaths and find another outlet for the bitterness you've said you're still harboring; it is not Mastina's fault that nobody nominated you in a previous year, as frustrating as that experience must have been.

On another note, I love that this thread is encouraging too many nominations over too few. I have had times where I wasn't sure if I should nom something or not, because I wasn't sure if it was "good enough". Instead this year I'll be on the lookout for anything that could be nommed, and let judges decide re:good enough.

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #168  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am

In post 167, Irrelephant11 wrote:I have no investment in who wins this argument but this post seems over the top (and not just because Mastina doesn't deserve this insult no matter how much you disagree with her - also because suicide isn't funny). Maybe take a few deep breaths and find another outlet for the bitterness you've said you're still harboring; it is not Mastina's fault that nobody nominated you in a previous year, as frustrating as that experience must have been.

One mans over the top is another mans tame.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: They hadn't become unseeing and unfeeling
Pronoun: He

Post Post #169  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:04 am

Whatever man, I guess I can't stop you from being unapologetically classless about suicide in a public thread, it's your reputation.

I hope this conversation brings you the emotional resolution you're looking for. elephant out~

Firebringer
Trail Blazer
 
User avatar
Joined: June 29, 2015
Location: woofbringer
Pronoun: He

Post Post #170  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:09 am

I think your moral high ground on what can and can't be humorous is pretty stupid, but you do you man.

If someone wants to shame me for what I find humorous they can do so and be met with the same response.
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul

Taly
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #171  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:12 am

so like harmless slightly off-topic suggestion

could we perhaps have a hydra category in the future?

it sounds plausible to work toward that since hydra-exclusive games have become more visible, and that some mods are starting to have more creative policy's around the number of hydra's in a game from what ive noticed.

i think the scummies executed a well and great variety of awards this year, but i think this could be a nice addition.

just imo gonna fade bye ily all
NEW GTKTaly!

"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"taly im not scum, thats mean" ~chennisden

Taly
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 26, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #172  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:21 am

In post 167, Irrelephant11 wrote:I have had times where I wasn't sure if I should nom something or not, because I wasn't sure if it was "good enough". Instead this year I'll be on the lookout for anything that could be nommed, and let judges decide


guud mentality boi

here is a toucan

Image
NEW GTKTaly!

"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"taly im not scum, thats mean" ~chennisden

Irrelephant11
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: April 09, 2018
Location: They hadn't become unseeing and unfeeling
Pronoun: He

Post Post #173  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:40 pm

In post 171, Taly wrote:so like harmless slightly off-topic suggestion

could we perhaps have a hydra category in the future?

it sounds plausible to work toward that since hydra-exclusive games have become more visible, and that some mods are starting to have more creative policy's around the number of hydra's in a game from what ive noticed.

i think the scummies executed a well and great variety of awards this year, but i think this could be a nice addition.

just imo gonna fade bye ily all

I think I like the idea of a hydra scummy. Not sure there should be a whole category, but something like "best and/or most entertaining performance by a hydra in a single game" could be cool

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: January 14, 2018
Location: On the mend? Hopefully?
Pronoun: She

Post Post #174  (ISO)  » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

In post 173, Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 171, Taly wrote:so like harmless slightly off-topic suggestion

could we perhaps have a hydra category in the future?

it sounds plausible to work toward that since hydra-exclusive games have become more visible, and that some mods are starting to have more creative policy's around the number of hydra's in a game from what ive noticed.

i think the scummies executed a well and great variety of awards this year, but i think this could be a nice addition.

just imo gonna fade bye ily all

I think I like the idea of a hydra scummy. Not sure there should be a whole category, but something like "best and/or most entertaining performance by a hydra in a single game" could be cool


Someone should nominate Alnan in that case. :P

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion