Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 134, Firebringer wrote:Just reading the description of the game you are nommed for Jingle, I would say that fits way more with Moment of Brilliance than White Knight even though you didn't win the game.
In post 142, the worst wrote:that's exactly why jingle deserved his nom imo
scum outplayed town mechanically and ducked the mechsolve and outplayed in day play but Jingle's rep in was ++++cohesion and funness
In post 145, Jingle wrote:I feel awkward weighing in here, but I will say that A. I see FB's point (and agree to the point. It's way cooler to replace in and defuse a tense situation than to replace in and immediately win the game for town) and B. I think I'd prefer not to win if that means there are more people replacing into games.

I do support changing it to a body of work though.
The game Jingle was nomm’d for was a pretty crazy game, secret vote game way, and I believe he came in around Page 200 ish of this 400+ page game, and did work, which is why i think that was a service.

On the topic of it shouldn’t be a body of work because then people will try to go for something, if they’re only doing it for that, isn’t that what we’re supposed to be sifting through and thinking about when it comes to us Nomming then?

I guess on top of that, we should Nom people for making the game state better and other things besides just coming in and wrecking the game.

If someone comes in as town, and wrecks, I’d feel more inclined to nom them for Moment of Brilliance.
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

On the topic of a taly’s hydra topic, I do like that idea. Hydras seem to be pretty popular right now.

I also understand where Mastina’s coming from, though. I agree that people shouldn’t actively go out of their way to try and win a scummie, but I still think it’s okay to want to be nominated, especially if you feel you deserve it. I don’t think people should actively play in a way where it’s like “oh, they’re just doing that for the scummie”, they should just play the game as they normally would.

For instance, I replace into a lot of games, and I’ll replace into games specifically because I feel no one else is going to sometimes, but maybe that’s more of an addicted to mafia adrenaline than anything else, and I don’t try to go for the White Knight scummy, but if I had a great replace in, or multiple great replace ins, i’d like to think a scummy nom isn’t out of the question.

Someone like Jingle who almost exclusively replaces in and does really well I feel
should
try for it. It’s almost like an analyzing of play and trying to better yourself and setting goals and standards for all the games you play, which just raises your level of play, and it’s not like Jingle wouldn’t still be doing The same thing regardless.

I think it’s okay to try for scummies, just don’t compromise your games because of it. No point in that, and that’s what i feel Mastina is getting at. Don’t be an Oscar bait movie just for the sake of potentially getting an award, basically.

Also, we should try to be more chill and not toxic in discussion threads. This is site wide politics, basically, and in-game, do what you gotta do, I guess, but leave the heat in the kitchen (games).
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:25 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 176, Flavor Leaf wrote:isn’t that what we’re supposed to be sifting through and thinking about when it comes to us Nomming then?
Honestly? No. We shouldn't really worry too much about validity when nomming imo.

To the rest though, I 100% agree.

100000 Shit tier replace ins < 1 Stellar replace in sure.

3 Good replace ins > 1 Great Replace in.

I don't think anyone's arguing that we should have tw keep track of the number of times each player replaces in and just auto-award the scummy to whoever replaces into the most games. I definitely think that someone who consistently performs well as a replacement and replaces in 10 times should win over someone who dives wholeheartedly into a single game, even if their impact on that one game was bigger.

And yeah, arguing that body of work makes it all about quantity is pretty :thorface: as well. It's not like we just hand Don Corleone to whoever wins the most scumgames in a year.
This is a Parachute.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:41 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 169, Irrelephant11 wrote:Whatever man, I guess I can't stop you from being unapologetically classless about suicide in a public thread, it's your reputation.

I hope this conversation brings you the emotional resolution you're looking for. elephant out~
Wait I actually hope people don’t think I’m suicidal I’m a lot better then what I used to be :P

In post 171, Taly wrote:so like harmless slightly off-topic suggestion

could we perhaps have a hydra category in the future?

it sounds plausible to work toward that since hydra-exclusive games have become more visible, and that some mods are starting to have more creative policy's around the number of hydra's in a game from what ive noticed.

i think the scummies executed a well and great variety of awards this year, but i think this could be a nice addition.

just imo gonna fade bye ily all
Nominating Hydras in encouraged go do it. I feel like I tried to push for something like this but not exactly like this, I don’t remember what it was. It got shut down.
But yeah, I even tried to write in that hydras could be nominated in some of the descriptions of the awards.
So have fun with that
GTKAS
| here.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:23 am

Post by Taly »

oh, im meaning a category as for awards like
"Most Cohesive / Best Buddy"
or
"Most Fun" "Strategic Duo"
type awards for hydrae, since they often incorporate a different type of play for the people involved.

some awards can have people nominated together or i think thats implied, so a group-nom section seems possible.

i do understand some people and agree with some reasons why people arent fond of hydrae so i guess that could be a site culture conflict but
*shrugs*

I am glad that nominating hydrae for common awards is encouraged though :D I'm fine if this doesn't come to fruition but I'm elaborating here so my initial thought is more clear.
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 am

Post by Alisae »

Yes Taly
I tried to push for something like that
It got shut down
GTKAS
| here.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:On the topic of a taly’s hydra topic, I do like that idea. Hydras seem to be pretty popular right now.
Said it at the time it was suggested, will say it again.

As one of the strongest proponents of hydraing on site. (I literally am still bitter they're banned from Normals because I lost that fight.)
I am against the idea, and that says something.

Hydras can, and SHOULD, be nominated for awards that they are eligible for.
They are PARTICULARLY eligible for awards like best town performance, best scumteam.
A long-running hydra may be eligible for a body of work award.
A rather hilarious hydra might be eligible for a kodak nomination.
A game modded on a hydra would be appropriate to nominate the hydra involved.
Etc.

Hydras don't need a separate award, because they are eligible for all of our current ones--and in fact. On at least one occasion and I think MORE than one occasion. A hydra has WON the scummie award for that year. Yet alone, the number of hydrae nominated (which is significantly higher than the number of winners since we have a finite number of winners and a near-infinite number of theoretical candidates).

"Best Hydra" or something of the sort is far too subjective of an award; what metric could you possibly use to determine it, when there are so many different reasons to hydra? A teaching hydra is different from a modding hydra is different from a hydra for fun is different from a hydra for activity reasons (either individual head wouldn't be able to play) is different from a deliberate abomination-style hydra is different from a strategically-oriented hydra (two players deliberately trying to augment each other to be better than they'd be individually).

Yet they are all hydras that are no less valid than the other, so which would you call superior? You really can't. It's a bad idea all-around.
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:I also understand where Mastina’s coming from, though. I agree that people shouldn’t actively go out of their way to try and win a scummie, but I still think it’s okay to want to be nominated, especially if you feel you deserve it. I don’t think people should actively play in a way where it’s like “oh, they’re just doing that for the scummie”, they should just play the game as they normally would.

For instance, I replace into a lot of games, and I’ll replace into games specifically because I feel no one else is going to sometimes, but maybe that’s more of an addicted to mafia adrenaline than anything else, and I don’t try to go for the White Knight scummy, but if I had a great replace in, or multiple great replace ins, i’d like to think a scummy nom isn’t out of the question.
That is what I was getting at, yes.

However:
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:I think it’s okay to try for scummies, just don’t compromise your games because of it.
My point is that on a subconscious level, that's literally impossible. By aiming deliberately to get the scummie, you
are
compromising your game; your goal is to get the scummie, not do the thing the scummie is for. You need to do the thing the scummie is for in order to get the scummie, but because your aim is to get the scummie, your focus isn't on the thing, it's on the scummie.

That being said: aiming for scummie quality in what you do? Absolutely I encourage
that
. But that's not the same as aiming to try and win a scummie. Trying to be scummie-worthy in the quality of your work is, essentially, trying to be
the absolute best you can be
; trying to win a scummie is, essentially, trying to win a trophy. The mindsets are superficially similar but entirely different in execution.

Which means, that yes:
In post 177, Flavor Leaf wrote:Don’t be an Oscar bait movie just for the sake of potentially getting an award, basically.
That is EXACTLY what I meant.
In post 178, Jingle wrote:100000 Shit tier replace ins < 1 Stellar replace in sure.
3 Good replace ins > 1 Great Replace in.
I don't think anyone's arguing that we should have tw keep track of the number of times each player replaces in and just auto-award the scummy to whoever replaces into the most games. I definitely think that someone who consistently performs well as a replacement and replaces in 10 times should win over someone who dives wholeheartedly into a single game, even if their impact on that one game was bigger.
And yeah, arguing that body of work makes it all about quantity is pretty :thorface: as well. It's not like we just hand Don Corleone to whoever wins the most scumgames in a year.
Respectfully, Jingle: as a veteran Scummies judge? You should know better.
Take a look at how people have judged the scummies for body of work nominations versus non-BoW nominations over the years. I can attest to the process being pretty much exactly that.

Judges are lazy.
I don't mean literally lazy.
I mean that judges are busy. They have real lives to attend to, they have other site obligations to attend to, they are volunteers and this isn't a job for them and many judges have secondary duties that trump their judging desire--as a consequence, they tend to procrastinate in their judging. Heck, you know this better than anyone as
you missed the deadline for judging

Body of Work awards are, quite simply, not given the attention they deserve by judges.
Keep in mind that to judge someone who has replaced into 20 games, to properly judge them, you'd have to look at each and every single one of those games, not just their iso but the effect they had on the game, something you'd need context from not available in an iso--yet no judge has that time.

People who are outside of the process, in their naivety, in their idealism, think, "Pshaw! You judges are lazy. If *I* was a judge, then I'd actually do all the work!"
And then we go, "Okay, you think you could do it? Sure, you're in; you're a judge!"
...And then they don't actually do it because nobody actually can.

So the award tends to go to the people the judges have the larger data set on.

It's easier to skim 20 games than it is to in detail read 7 games.
So the judges are going to favor the player who replaced into the 20 games over the player who replaced into 7 games, unless the player who replaced into 20 games had a strong compelling reason not to be seen as the better candidate.

Is that a flaw in the judging process, why yes, yes it is. Within the next couple of years, with the new SSC getting their footwork established and a good grounding, maybe with luck if we focus on it we can fix that problem. (We're aware of it and we talked about it but the idea of fixing it is on the backburner last I checked.) But as-is, with the system we've got right now?

It literally would just go to the person with the most replace-ins as a body of work award, unless the person with the most replace-ins strongly fucked up in some of those games to the point of being disqualified.

And that won't change until the judging system's revamped.

So I suppose I should say: until such a time as the judging system is fixed to remove that flaw, I don't support it being BoW. I'm not against the idea altogether, but for it to happen, other things need to change first.
Taly
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Taly
he/him, she/her
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him, she/her

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 am

Post by Taly »

true true k lul
"Taly is going to be a hot mess all game and I am entertained" ~ Gammagooey
"The human race is bad at reading Taly." ~the worst
"Taly I knew your slot was scum and I still struggled to find arguments to SR your play lol" ~Infinity 324
"Taly wins for the most fence-sitty reads in a game ever" ~Battle Mage
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:46 am

Post by Varsoon »

Pshaw! You judges are lazy. If *I* was a judge, then I'd actually do all the work!
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 184, Varsoon wrote:Pshaw! You judges are lazy. If *I* was a judge, then I'd actually do all the work!
Okay you're obligated to judge this years scummies
GTKAS
| here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:49 am

Post by Varsoon »

CAN DO
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:50 am

Post by Alisae »

Okay I'll ask you again at the end of the year
hope you're still up to do it!
I expect great things from you.
GTKAS
| here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:54 am

Post by Varsoon »

I did PM the scummies this year to write for them.
Alas and alack
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:55 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 188, Varsoon wrote:I did PM the scummies this year to write for them.
Alas and alack
A lot of people did
those pms were never responded to even tho someone said they would take care of that

thats why we had no flavor during the ceremony again

We're gonna try to bring that back tho :P
GTKAS
| here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:56 am

Post by Varsoon »

I could'a wrote so many paragraphs no one would read except for one dude who'd slow clap
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:56 am

Post by Alisae »

Yeah but
I'm around and I'm happy with my life
so that'll change and things will be better because I want them to be better!

Thats how that works ;D
GTKAS
| here.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:16 am

Post by Varsoon »

<3
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 188, Varsoon wrote:I did PM the scummies this year to write for them.
Alas and alack
I did too, even resent it. No response.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Flavor Leaf
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Flavor Leaf
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:27 am

Post by Flavor Leaf »

In post 190, Varsoon wrote:I could'a wrote so many paragraphs no one would read except for one dude who'd slow clap
When I think of other award shows and how they handle what awards, I tend to side with Mastina a lot more, and I think it’s good to have someone like that around to balance people out.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:43 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 182, mastina wrote:"Pshaw! You judges are lazy. If *I* was a judge, then I'd
actually do all the work
also be lazy!"
FTFY :P
This is a Parachute.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Is there any way we can remove all of mastinas involvement in scummies?
I think that will improve the scummies by at least 20% in the first year alone.

Think of the returns on investment.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:10 am

Post by brassherald »

Can we just give all the scummies to James Van Der Beek?
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
Almost50
Almost50
Monkey Business
Almost50
Monkey Business
Monkey Business

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:45 pm

Post by Almost50 »

Can we re-fight WW I? It'd be interesting to see how the world would be if the Central Powers won it instead.

Modded 2 Opens & 2 Large Themed games successfully.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 198, Almost50 wrote:Can we re-fight WW I? It'd be interesting to see how the world would be if the Central Powers won it instead.
Roughly spherical and consisting of the same matter and energy. :shifty:
This is a Parachute.

Return to “2019 Scummies and Mashies”