My Ip address at home is tripping up spam detection

Obsolete, fixed, and incorrect bug requests and problems. Browse here before posting a new topic, to avoid duplicates.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Fri May 03, 2019 5:52 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The thing about mobile data connections is that they normally have a small set of IPs that get rotated between people making data connections at any given moment. So if there's a spammer or banned person who uses the same phone company that you do, and is in the same city as you, you'll both be taking IPs from the same pool and the site won't be able to tell you apart by IP.

Large sites normally have some way around this (e.g. on Wikipedia it's possible to explicitly mark user accounts as legitimate but using suspicious IPs, so that they don't get autoblocked as long as they stay logged in), but coding that sort of thing is much harder than just applying IP blocks.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 am

In post 12, KittenLicks wrote:I seem to kind of have the opposite problem from what's happening here. My home wifi's blocked - which is super annoying - but my mobile wifi works.
Your IP 41.169.121.21 has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=41.169.121.21.
Is there anything to do except wait and hope? :(
That's an SBLCSS issue, implying that the IP address in question has been purchased by an email spammer.

The first thing to try is a full reset of your router; turn it off, wait a few hours (ideally while you're asleep so that being stuck without internet isn't an issue), turn it back on. It's possible that your ISP recycles IP addresses but fairly slowly, in which case you'll want to move onto a different address from the ISP's pool (and thus you need to give time to let that IP address pass to someone else).

If that doesn't work – meaning that
you
are apparently an email spammer – you'll want to do a full scan of your computer (and any other computers using the same router) using virus/adware removal tools. I assume you wouldn't be spamming intentionally, so this would presumably only happen if someone else had hijacked your computer.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #18 (isolation #2) » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:46 am

FWIW, this was affecting me too recently on a phone connection; given that all the connections are taken from a fairly small pool, if you're in the same connection pool as a spammer, there's often not much you can do (the spammer will keep resetting their connection to get a new IP whenever they're blocked, and other people forced to use the same pool of connections will be indistinguishable from the spammer).

It's a problem that can be quite hard to deal with sometimes, as when a legitimate user and spammer look the same in terms of the connections, how do you know who to block?
scum
town

Return to “Solved Requests”