Boosting in-game activity: difficulties and solutions

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 0, NerfedBuJ wrote:Low in-game activity is bad.

How can we encourage more discussion WITHOUT sacrificing post quality?

Increasing quantity is doable. Currently most mods don't, but it can be done. You just make stricter activity rules. Moe replacements, more modkillings.

However that will either just ruin games because of lack of players or too many modkills, or the thread is filled with nonsense and spam. Higher page counts, people unwilling to catch up, game suffers, and we're back to square one.

I was thinking what if we add a secret vote each night (or some other interval for nightless games), where 1 of the let's say 3 bottom posters have to be lynched. Each player send a PM to the mod with their choice (the idea is to choose who they feel is contributing less regardless of actual postcount), and whoever gets the most votes gets killed. (In case of a tie the lower post count would get killed).

Obviously this is too much power for scum as they will likely have enough votes to gain plurality in most cases. So I figured they just aren't included. Since the vote is secret the mod just contacts each townie individually and asks for their vote.

It's not ideal but we're a step closer I think. However we now have to tackle the problem of balancing, since this is now an extra kill each night. We can restrict it so it isn't every night by first having all players vote for if the activity level is satisfactory or not, but even if that would help, it doesn't solve the balance issue. You're still facing the potential for too many kills.

The other problem is post length differs from person to person. Someone who posts walls will always have less posts than someone who posts one liners. That is a fundamental difference in style and punishes one style for doing nothing wrong.

I know we can all just accepts it as a natural side effect of forum mafia, as we've all been doing anyway, but there's no harm in trying to come up with solutions. If the discussion doesn't lead anywhere we're no worse then when we started. So pitch in, all ideas are welcome.
Here’s the issue with that.

You won’t if ever lynch scum with that unless scum want the buddy dead.

What in general other sites have done is a slank vig which while not perfect can be town or scum aligned and can just kill the lurkers while giving information to go off of.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #4 (isolation #1) » Mon May 13, 2019 6:31 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 2, Lycanfire wrote:Spread a rumor that getting the high post # not only makes you lock town, but is also proof that you weren't born with a micropenis. If somebody threatens to take the top slot from you you're going to need to treat it like a personal attack. The meltdown you have in the thread should be worth a good 100 or more posts depending on how much you milk it.

Also because you are the towniest player with a magnum dong you are going to die on N1, so it's important to get your first thousand posts out of the way on day 1, because people are petty enough to kill you for that reason alone.
No penis jokes please.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “Mafia Discussion”