Newbie 1933 | Stuff I Found Online XII | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Newbie 1933 | Stuff I Found Online XII | Over

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon May 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Newbie 1933 | Stuff I Found Online XII

Hello. In this game I'll be showcasing cool stuff I found/learned about online via my RSS reader and maybe talking some about why I think it's cool.
Such as braised ginger meatballs in coconut broth. which I made for dinner last night

Moderated by Plotinus

Original Playerlist:
  1. 1) Alexander489
    2) mechanicalmistress
    3) Voted
    4) Saladman27
    5) zeebu
    6) Eggs
    7) u r a person 2 (SE)
    8) TTTT (SE)
    9) RCEnigma (SE)
Spoiler: Game Reveals (9)
  1. 1) Alexander4892 replaces back in,
    ZestOfLife temporarily replaced Alexander4891 day 1
    , vanilla townie, lynched day 1
    3) Voted1, vanilla townie, lynched day 2
    7) u r a person 2 (SE), vanilla townie, killed night 2

5) zeebu4, mafia goon, lynched day 3
    8) TTTT (SE), mafia goon, lynched day 4

2) RedFlavor
    replaces The Grand Sham1 day 3, who replaced mechanicalmistress day 1, who forgot MS exists
    , town jailkeeper, survived and won!

4) Saladman271, vanilla townie, survived and won!
    6) Eggs, vanilla townie, survived and won!
    9) RCEnigma1 (SE), vanilla townie, survived and won!

Spoiler: Spectators (5)
  • hubris
  • PvtUrist
  • Muffins
  • ZestOfLife
  • chennisden

Events - Day 1 begins
The Grand Sham replaces mechanicalmistress
- ZestOfLife replaces Alexander489
- Alexander489 replaces back in
- Alexander489 is lynched, day 1 ends

- Day 2 begins
- Voted is lynched, Day 2 ends

- u r a person 2 is killed, Day 3 begins
- RedFlavor replaces The Grand Sham
- zeebu is lynched, Day 3 ends

- Day 4 begins
- TTTT is lynched, Day 4 ends
- Game Events, links to game threads, postgame discussion
Last edited by Plotinus on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 am, edited 20 times in total.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Rules

Inspired by Equinox's, Glork's and Ether's rulesets.

important bit
  • Day 1: up to 10 days, Day 2+ up to 7 days, Night: 48 hours.
  • Majority lynches
  • 36 hours before prod, 24 hours before replacement, 24 hour weekends
  • Bah posts allowed (limit: 1, free of game related content)
  • I have some unusual rules about animated GIFs, tiny text, and prodging. Scroll down for details.
  • Don’t be a dick

1. Follow all site rules.

2. Mod colour
    – My mod colour is
    grey
    ; don't use it.
  3. Behaviour
    - Don’t be a dick. This is a heated game but toxicity will not be tolerated. Attack the play not the player. If your fellow players tell you to stop, you must stop. If you do not stop, I will tell you to stop. If you still do not stop, you will be force-replaced. Asking people to stop voting you or to stop scumhunting you entirely doesn't count for this rule and you may find yourself lynched if you try it.
  4. Don't talk about ongoing games
    - You may not talk to each other about this game outside of threads I have created for this purpose. You may not talk about other ongoing games in this thread.
  5. Animated GIFs
    - are of the devil, but they are permitted behind spoilers if clearly labelled as such.
  6. Tiny text
    - is also of the devil, keep it 70+ please.
  7. Provable randomness
    - is against the rules. Saying that you rolled a dice is fine, using dice tags or random.org is not.
  8. Claiming scum
    - by yourself is fine. Claiming scum with another player is against the rules.
  9. Cryptography
    - is forbidden. Breadcrumbing is okay.
  10. Confirmation
    - You have about 72 hours to confirm your role and your alignment by PM. Game will start sooner if everyone confirms. Posting in a private topic counts as confirmation.
  11. Days
    - Day 1 lasts 10 days and other days last 7 days. Extensions may be granted if there are replacements, or if the majority of players make it clear to me that an extension is desired.
  12. Activity
    - You must post at least once every 36 hours or I will Prod you. You then have 24 hours to post in the game thread or I will replace you. If you come back before I find a replacement, you can stay. The activity timers run at half-speed on weekends. Players can request me to prod somebody early. This will only count as an official prod if you don't post before you would have been due for a prod. If you haven't posted in the 24 hours before the thread is locked for night, you must reply to the night start PM or you will be replaced during the night.
  13. Vacation/Limited Access
    If you need to be absent for longer than this, you should declare
    V/LA
    in bold in the thread like this: [
    b]
    @Mod: I will be v/la until Thursday
    [
    /b]. While you are V/LA, you will be nudged once every 54 hours. Two nudges equals one prod. If you have not posted game advancing content in 5 days, regardless of V/LA status, you will be replaced.
  14. Prodging
    - A naked "prod dodge" does not reset the prod timer. To avoid being prodded/replaced for inactivity, include some game advancing content in your prodges, such as "got prodded; xxxx is still scum."
  15. Quoting
    - You may not quote (or copy paste) any private information into the thread, including your role PM and any mod communication.
  16. Voting
    - Votes must be in bold in the format VOTE: Plotinus or
    Vote: Plotinus
    . Strong preference for using vote tags instead of bold tags. Unvotes are nice but not required. If I think it’s a vote, it’s a vote, no tricks. Type [
    v]Plotinus[
    /v] to vote and [
    uv]Plotinus[
    /uv] to unvote.
  17. Lynching
    - Days end early when a simple majority of players (50% of living players + 1 rounded down) vote to lynch somebody. If a majority is not reached at deadline or if a majority of the players vote for no lynch, the day will end without a lynch. At evens, 50% is sufficient for no lynch.
  18. Twilight
    - Begins when a majority is reached and lasts until I lock the thread. You're still alive until I flip you so you can talk in any game threads you have access to until then, but no votes or unvotes will be counted.
  19. Night
    - Night lasts at least 48 hours. The night phase can be shortened if every living player -- even those with no night actions -- agrees to it and if I'm not busy.
  20. Action submissions
    - You may submit actions via PM (if town) or PT (if scum). If the actions are not submitted by the deadline then you do nothing. You can change your mind as many times as you like before the deadline.
  21. Reminders
    - If I don't hear from you about your night actions, I'll PM you 24 hours before the deadline. This doesn't count as a prod. If I still don't hear from you, you will take no action.
  22. Notes PT
    - Let me know if you want a private thread to store your thoughts and feedback for the other players. This thread will be made public immediately after the game. You may draft posts in your notes PT but you may not talk about your notes PT in public. You definitely may not use the notes PT to demonstrate that you've had a town mindset in private all along; just put your town mindset in public to begin with and keep your notes to yourself.
  23. Play to win
    - this particular game, not some future one, and keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Newbie Setup

2d3 (as designed by Cabd):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neapolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goons
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia can communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Neapolitan, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Neapolitan, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Doctor, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5

Spoiler: Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a
Town Neapolitan

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Vanilla Townie
or
Not Vanilla Townie
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Introduction and Tips
Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, L-x, and Hammers

L-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from a lynch. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at L-1 (1 vote away from a lynch) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that players lynch. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to lynch (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see L-2 and L-3 (2 votes away from a lynch and 3 votes away from a lynch, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being lynched, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at L-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting lynched, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counter claiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get lynched for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

LyLo

LyLo is the shortened representation of “lynch or lose.” LyLo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to lynch (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Post by Plotinus »

All role PMs have been sent out (in the order of the signup list so timestamps mean nothing)! We will start in (expired on 2019-05-16 10:30:00) or when [8/9] people have confirmed, whichever happens sooner.

The above clock and any others used throughout this game will be accurate from the time you loaded the page.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #5 (isolation #5) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.00

LynchingWith 9 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

Everybody
(0): Nobody

Not Voting
(9): Alexander489, mechanicalmistress, Voted, Saladman27, zeebu, Eggs, u r a person 2, TTTT, RCEnigma

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-05-24 22:00:00).

Mod notes:
8 people have confirmed already so we're getting started early.

Everyone except mechanicalmistress has confirmed. mechanicalmistress has (expired on 2019-05-16 10:30:00) to confirm before they will be replaced.

Please take a moment to familiarise yourselves with my ruleset because I have some rules you may not have encountered in other games before regarding animated gifs, tiny text, prodging and perhaps some other things.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #26 (isolation #6) » Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.01It can be hard to follow dietary recommendations while homeless, but this site in the UK offers some actionable advice to homeless diabetics, categorised by living situation and what they have access to.

Eggs
(2): u r a person 2, TTTT
u r a person 2
(1): zeebu
TTTT
(1): Eggs
zeebu
(1): RCEnigma
Voted
(1): Saladman27

Not Voting
(3): Alexander489, mechanicalmistress, Voted

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Mechanicalmistress has (expired on 2019-05-16 10:30:00) to confirm before they will be replaced.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #40 (isolation #7) » Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Post by Plotinus »

The Grand Sham replaces Mechanicalmistress, who forgot MS exists. They have (expired on 2019-05-18 05:08:14) to confirm and make their first post before I look for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #41 (isolation #8) » Wed May 15, 2019 10:14 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Alexander4891 and zeebu1 haven't posted yet / in the last 36 hours so they are being prodded. They have (expired on 2019-05-17 11:20:00) to post before I start looking for replacements.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #50 (isolation #9) » Thu May 16, 2019 7:12 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.02

Salt Mines are pretty.

Eggs
(3): u r a person 2, TTTT, Voted
Voted
(2): Saladman27, Eggs
u r a person 2
zeebu

Not Voting
(2): The Grand Sham, Alexander489

Deadline:

Mod notes:
The Grand Sham has (expired on 2019-05-18 11:08:00) to confirm before they will be replaced.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #65 (isolation #10) » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Alexander489 hasn't posted in time and is being replaced. If they join us before I find a replacement, they can stay.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #69 (isolation #11) » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 am

Post by Plotinus »

ZestOfLife replaces Alexander489! Please welcome them!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #75 (isolation #12) » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.03

The Grand Sham
(2): TTTT, u r a person 2
Eggs
(1): Voted
u r a person 2
zeebu

Not Voting
(4): The Grand Sham, Eggs, ZestOfLife, Saladman27

Deadline:

Mod notes:
The Grand Sham has (expired on 2019-05-18 11:08:00) to confirm before they will be replaced.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #101 (isolation #13) » Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.04

The Grand Sham
Eggs
u r a person 2
TTTT
(1): The Grand Sham
zeebu

Not Voting
(3): Eggs, ZestOfLife, Saladman27

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Everyone has confirmed!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #107 (isolation #14) » Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 am

Post by Plotinus »

It's been about a day since ZestOfLife subbed in, and they haven't posted yet, and they'll be due for a prod not too far away. I've offered Alexander489 the slot back. I suppose whichever person starts playing first can have it.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #125 (isolation #15) » Sat May 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.05

The Grand Sham
TTTT
Eggs
u r a person 2
zeebu

Not Voting
(2): Eggs, Saladman27

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Everyone is here!
Last edited by Plotinus on Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #155 (isolation #16) » Mon May 20, 2019 5:55 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.06

“So,” he said, “you get stuck.”

“Then you have to stop,” Wiles said. “Let your mind relax a bit…. Your subconscious is making connections. And you start again—the next afternoon, the next day, the next week.”

Patience, perseverance, acceptance—this is what defines a mathematician.

“What I fight against most,” said Wiles, naming an unlikely enemy, “is the kind of message put out by—for example—the film Good Will Hunting.”

When it comes to math, Wiles said, people tend to believe “that there is something you’re born with, and either you have it or you don’t. But that’s not really the experience of mathematicians. We all find it difficult. It’s not that we’re any different from someone who struggles with maths problems in third grade…. We’re just prepared to handle that struggle on a much larger scale. We’ve built up resistance to those setbacks.”
The State of Being Stuck is an article about how as adults we're really uncomfortable with getting stuck, but getting stuck is an important part of the process of solving maths problems. It is based on a conversation with Andrew Wiles, not the one who is my cat but the one who solved Fermat's Last Theorem.

The Grand Sham
(3): TTTT, u r a person 2, Eggs
TTTT
(3): The Grand Sham, Alexander489, RCEnigma
Eggs
u r a person 2

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #188 (isolation #17) » Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.07

A regular expressions crossword puzzle

The Grand Sham
TTTT
Alexander489
(2): RCEnigma, Eggs
Eggs
u r a person 2

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #200 (isolation #18) » Tue May 21, 2019 7:55 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.08

Why are there so many drawings of killer rabbits in medieval manuscripts?

The author of the article doesn't understand why in the middle ages it was so comedic to depict a barber with a wooden leg, but I think I know the answer to that one -- barbers were also surgeons, so the joke is that he would have had to cut off his own leg.

The Grand Sham
TTTT
Alexander489
(2): RCEnigma, Eggs
u r a person 2

Not Voting
(2): Voted, Saladman27

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #228 (isolation #19) » Tue May 21, 2019 6:55 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.092 tonne boulders that can be moved by hand

Alexander489
(3): RCEnigma, Eggs, u r a person 2
TTTT
Saladman27
u r a person 2
The Grand Sham
(1): TTTT

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #261 (isolation #20) » Wed May 22, 2019 8:13 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.09Greek handwriting practice

Alexander489
(4): RCEnigma, Eggs, u r a person 2, Saladman27
Voted
(3): The Grand Sham, TTTT, zeebu
Saladman27
TTTT
(1): Alexander489

Not Voting
(0):
None.

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #275 (isolation #21) » Wed May 22, 2019 9:21 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.10Reversing the technical interview, and its 2 sequels, Hexing the technical interview and Typing the technical interview are some fantasy about a witch who codes in clojure.
First, we need a linked list. Clear your workspace of unwanted xterms, sprinkle salt into the protective form of two parentheses, and recurse. Summon a list from the void.

Alexander489
Voted
Saladman27
TTTT

Not Voting
(0):
None.

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #301 (isolation #22) » Thu May 23, 2019 3:17 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.11This divisibility test for 7 is similar to the one I use, except I tend to cast out 1001s and then do a mixture of addition and subtraction. For example with 123456789, I'd subtract 100100000 getting 23356789, then subtract 20020000 getting 3336789, then 3003000, getting 333789, then 300300, getting 33489, then 30030, getting 3459, then 3003, getting 456, then i'd subtract 8*7 getting 400, which clearly isn't divisible by 7, but if i wanted the remainder too i'd subtract 350, getting 50, and 49, getting 1.

Alexander489
Voted
TTTT

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!
In post 1, Plotinus wrote:Players can request me to prod somebody early. This will only count as an official prod if you don't post before you would have been due for a prod

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #302 (isolation #23) » Thu May 23, 2019 3:21 am

Post by Plotinus »

Alexander4892 has been prodded early on request. If he posts before (expired on 2019-05-23 17:08:38), this won't count as a real prod. If he doesn't post before (expired on 2019-05-24 17:08:38), i will start looking for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #321 (isolation #24) » Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Post by Plotinus »

In post 319, TTTT wrote:
@Plot

will there be a deadline extension if Alex is replaced?
Yes

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #327 (isolation #25) » Fri May 24, 2019 2:14 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 1.12The year without English is a post about some guys who went on a trip to 4 different countries and vowed to speak practically no English for the entire year, opting instead to learn the languages of the countries they were visiting. Pretty neat.

Alexander489
(5): RCEnigma, Eggs, u r a person 2, Saladman27, TTTT
<--LYNCH

Voted
(2): The Grand Sham, zeebu
TTTT

Not Voting

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #328 (isolation #26) » Fri May 24, 2019 2:15 am

Post by Plotinus »

Day 1 Lynch - Alexander489

Alexander489 has been lynched day 1. He was a
vanilla townie.

It is now Night 1. Deadline for night actions is (expired on 2019-05-26 09:15:42)
[/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #329 (isolation #27) » Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 am

Post by Plotinus »

RCEnigma hasn't posted in the last 24 hours, and will need to reply to the night start PM sometime during the night phase so I know they're still playing, otherwise they'll be replaced.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #330 (isolation #28) » Sun May 26, 2019 2:41 am

Post by Plotinus »

Night 1

Nobody died last night.

It is now Day 2[/b][/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #331 (isolation #29) » Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 2.00

In 1979, for April Fool's Day, some guys pretended they had towed an iceburg from Antarctica to provide water for Sydney, but the rain washed away the foam and then you could see it was just some sheets.

LynchingWith 8 votes in play, it takes 5 to lynch.

Everybody

Not Voting
(8): Eggs, RCEnigma, Saladman27, The Grand Sham, TTTT, u r a person 2, Voted, zeebu

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-02 16:00:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!
Last edited by Plotinus on Sun May 26, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #344 (isolation #30) » Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Post by Plotinus »

The Grand Sham1 has zeebu2 have been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-05-29 02:10:39) to post before I start looking for replacements.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #346 (isolation #31) » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Saladman271 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-05-29 02:44:57) to post before I start looking for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #348 (isolation #32) » Mon May 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Voted1 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-05-29 06:54:15) to post before I start looking for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #351 (isolation #33) » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 2.01Learn X in Y Minutes.com is a website where you can get a quick rundown of the syntax of most programming languages, if you already know some programming and don't need an introduction to computer science as well.

Voted
(3): Saladman27, u r a person 2, Eggs
TTTT

Not Voting
(4): The Grand Sham, RCEnigma, TTTT, zeebu

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #364 (isolation #34) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 2.02
Is this the new girl from Whitten Center?''

Thomas answers. ''She's our friend. She's from outside.'' He has come to my defense!

The loudmouthed staff members don't hear. ''Who is this girl?''

''She's from outside.''

''Did you say from outside?''

Thomas coughs. ''Look at her hair.''

The aide studies the shiny braid that falls to my knees. She remarks on my pretty dress and my real gold bangle bracelet. Obviously from outside. Speaking to me now, she asks simple questions. I manage to explain how I know these people, where I live, what I do. The staff members are amazed that someone with such high care needs went to college, has a job, lives outside. All agree that I'm high-functioning, mentally.
The Disability Gulag is an article about institutionalisation.

Voted
(5): Saladman27, u r a person 2, Eggs, zeebu, The Grand Sham
<-- LYNCH

TTTT

Not Voting
(2): RCEnigma, TTTT

Deadline:

Mod notes:
A lynch!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #365 (isolation #35) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 am

Post by Plotinus »

Day 2 Lynch - Voted

Voted has been lynched day 2. He was a
vanilla townie.

It is now Night 2. Deadline for night actions is (expired on 2019-05-30 20:00:00)
[/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #366 (isolation #36) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:49 am

Post by Plotinus »

Saladman27, RCenigma, and TTTT have not posted in the last 24 hours. They must reply to the night start PM so I know they're still playing. Otherwise, they will be replaced during the night and daystart will be delayed.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #367 (isolation #37) » Thu May 30, 2019 7:00 am

Post by Plotinus »

Night 2 Kill - u r a person 2

u r a person 2 has been killed night 2. They were a
vanilla townie.

It is now Day 3!
[/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #368 (isolation #38) » Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.00

LynchingWith 6 votes in play, it takes 4 to lynch.

Everybody

Not Voting
(6): Eggs, RCEnigma, Saladman27, The Grand Sham, TTTT, zeebu

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-06 20:00:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #386 (isolation #39) » Thu May 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.01

The Grand Sham

Not Voting
(5): RCEnigma, Saladman27, Eggs, The Grand Sham, zeebu

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-06 20:00:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #394 (isolation #40) » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:14 am

Post by Plotinus »

The Grand Sham2 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-06-03 08:00:00) to post before I start looking for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #395 (isolation #41) » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:12 am

Post by Plotinus »

zeebu3 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-06-03 19:00:00) to post before I start looking for a replacement.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #403 (isolation #42) » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:54 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.033 blue 1 brown has a podcast!

The Grand Sham

Not Voting

Deadline:
2 days 12 hours.

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!
Last edited by Plotinus on Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #416 (isolation #43) » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 pm

Post by Plotinus »

The Grand Sham hasn't responded to their prod and is being replaced. If they post before a replacement can be found, they can stay.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #419 (isolation #44) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I'll freeze the deadline at 48 hours if I don't get a replacement by then.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #424 (isolation #45) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:46 am

Post by Plotinus »

RCEnigma1 has been prodded. They have (expired on 2019-06-05 09:46:37) to post before I start looking for a replacement. It seems like most of you want more time so let's say the deadline is frozen at 2 days 12 hours, which is about 1/3 of a dayphase.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #425 (isolation #46) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:49 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.04How to build an 8-bit computer from scratch

The Grand Sham

Not Voting

Deadline:
2 days 12 hours.

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #436 (isolation #47) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am

Post by Plotinus »

RedFlavor replaces The Grand Sham! Please welcome him!

The deadline is in (expired on 2019-06-07 09:00:00).

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #450 (isolation #48) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.05If you have two directories that are almost the same, here's how to find out where they differ

RedFlavor

Not Voting
(5): RCEnigma, Saladman27, Eggs, RedFlavor, zeebu

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-07 09:00:00)

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

RedFlavor is the new The Grand Sham

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #453 (isolation #49) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Prodding zeebu4. Since this is their fourth prod, I'm also looking for a replacement. If zeebu posts before a replacement can be found, they can stay.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #454 (isolation #50) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Since it's a newbie slot, I give priority to newbies who want to replace in for 24 hours. What this means in practice is that zeebu will probably still have about 24 hours to respond to their prod. If they do, the deadline will not change.

If we do get a new zeebu, the deadline will be extended again, let's say to 2 days unless most of you seem to prefer 2 and a half.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #480 (isolation #51) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:00 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.06

These Pizza beans are so good. I've made them before and I've got ingredients to make them again.

Everybody

Not Voting
(5): RCEnigma, Saladman27, Eggs, RedFlavor, zeebu, TTTT

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #516 (isolation #52) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.07Every month, mafia scum hosts a Song Contest, just pick a song that you like and enter it. There's a spreadsheet you can check to see whether it's been entered before. It's pretty fun.

Everybody

Not Voting
(5): RCEnigma, Saladman27, Eggs, RedFlavor, zeebu, TTTT

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #526 (isolation #53) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:36 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.08My favourite computer game is Unreal World. It's a sandbox where you can explore ancient finland, do hunting, fishing, trapping, or just wander around.

zeebu
(1): Eggs

Not Voting
(5): RedFlavor, RCEnigma, Saladman27, TTTT, zeebu

Deadline:

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #553 (isolation #54) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 3.09

Citations in the video description.

zeebu
(4): Eggs, RedFlavor, Saladman27, RCEnigma
<-- LYNCH

Not Voting
(2): zeebu, TTTT

Deadline:

Mod notes:
A lynch!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #554 (isolation #55) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Day 3 Lynch - zeebu

zeebu has been lynched day 3. He was a
mafia goon.

It is now Night 3. Deadline for night actions is (expired on 2019-06-09 09:00:00). Everyone has posted in the last 24 hours so nobody is in danger of being replaced.
[/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #555 (isolation #56) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:11 am

Post by Plotinus »

At least one person would like to accelerate the night phase. If all 5 of you PM me saying you want to start Day 4 early, we can do that. If I don't hear from everybody or if somebody says no, we will start day 4 when the timer expires on Sunday.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #556 (isolation #57) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am

Post by Plotinus »

Night 3

Nobody died last night.

It is now Day 4[/b][/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #557 (isolation #58) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:41 am

Post by Plotinus »

Official Vote Count 4.00Life is a video game, here are the cheat codes

I haven't actually read this article yet but it looks interesting.

LynchingWith 5 votes in play, it takes 4 to lynch.

Everybody

Not Voting
(5): Eggs, RCEnigma, Saladman27, The Grand Sham, TTTT

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-14 19:00:00).

Mod notes:
Keep it fun!

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #600 (isolation #59) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:07 am

Post by Plotinus »

LynchingWith 5 votes in play, it takes 3 to lynch.

TTTT
(4): Eggs, RedFlavor, TTTT, RCEnigma
<-- LYNCH

Not Voting

Deadline:
(expired on 2019-06-14 19:00:00).

Mod notes:
A lynch!
RCEnigma wrote:
Wouldn't it be 3 votes to Lynch?
Yeah. Fortunately 4 people voted anyway.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #601 (isolation #60) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:14 am

Post by Plotinus »

Day 4 Lynch - TTTT

TTTT has been lynched day 4. They were a
mafia goon.
The town, consisting of
RedFlavor, The Grand Sham, town jailkeeper
, and
vanilla townies: Saladman271, Eggs, RCEnigma, Alexander4892, Voted, u r a person 2
have won the game!
[/area]

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #602 (isolation #61) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 am

Post by Plotinus »

Game Events

day 1
  • Alexander789
    is lynched with 1 scum on his wagon.

night 1
  • The Grand Sham
    is jailkeeping
    zeebu
  • zeebu
    is killing
    Saladman27
    . (failure: jailkept)

day 2
  • Voted
    is lynched with 1 scum on his wagon.

night 2
  • The Grand Sham
    is jailkeeping
    Eggs
  • TTTT
    is killing
    u r a person 2

day 3
  • zeebu
    is lynched with 0 scum on his wagon.

night 3
  • RedFlavor
    is jailkeeping
    TTTT
    . (success)
  • TTTT
    is killing
    RedFlavor
    . (fails, jailkept)

day 4
  • TTTT
    is lynched with 1 scum on their wagon.

Links

Links

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #603 (isolation #62) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:26 am

Post by Plotinus »

Thanks for playing, everyone! I hope you had a good time. The dead thread is worth a read, we had a lot of spectators this time, so there was lots of discussion. There is some discussion going on about changing the newbie setup, in the newbie setup stats thread and also in the newbie setup thread. Feel free to weigh in if you have something to say.

If you're feeling ready to branch out from the newbie queue, we have a variety of other queues that run different types of games.
  • If you like knowing what the setup is before playing it, you should try an open
  • If you like having fewer than 10 players to keep track of, you should try a micro
  • If you like knowing that the game has been reviewed for balance and won't contain anything too crazy, but don't mind not knowing the setup, you should try a normal
  • If you want to something complicated and based on a theme, then you want a mini theme (up to 13 players) or a large theme (more than that)
This game is now open for postgame discussion. You can talk here even if you were dead, replaced out, or weren't a player.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #610 (isolation #63) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

He almost jailkept eggs night 1 but then he changed his mind.

He didn't realise that the day would end when there were 5 votes, he thought people could unvote and revote until the deadline. It's like that on some other sites.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #611 (isolation #64) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 604, RedFlavor wrote:
In post 600, Plotinus wrote:

That author changed my life in a good way
glad it helped. now that i've read the article, i think for every piece of advice there are going to be people who need to hear it and people who need to hear the opposite: people who don't take resposibility for their actions need to take more responsibility, and people who tend to take responsibility for things that have nothing to do with them, need to take less. people who complain about every little thing need to do it less, but people who never complain might never realise there's a simple solution to the problem they've been putting up with all this time.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #613 (isolation #65) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 am

Post by Plotinus »

oh, cool. i hadn't heard of him before. someone on a discord i'm in linked the article

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #615 (isolation #66) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:00 am

Post by Plotinus »

The mafia PT has been released: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=79661

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #629 (isolation #67) » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Probably not you, since the dead thread had two investigative results by that point: sham and salad

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”