Discord Social Game Moderator Resources

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Discord Social Game Moderator Resources

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Post by PrivateI »

This topic is posted in this location with the blessing of Xofelf.

If you're anything like I was at one point, you would love to host a live Discord game, but you have no idea where to begin. In this three-part series, I'll be giving you my tips and tricks for how to host a Discord Social Game, and, if you're not interested in hosting, you'll at least get a peek behind the curtain into how easy it is to start hosting! In this first part, I'll be demonstrating the logistics of setting up a server for a new game. In the next two parts, I'll be talking about the logistics of what happens DURING a game, and finally, providing a list of challenges you might consider using. I'll update these resources as more information becomes available.

To begin, lets talk about setting up a server for a new game. Starting a server is easy enough. Simply scroll to the bottom of your server list in Discord, and click the "Plus" sign, as shown.

Spoiler: Creating A Server

After you choose to create a server, you'll have the opportunity to name your server and add an icon to it. Don't stress too much about this in the set-up phase--you'll be able to change both the name and icon later.

Spoiler: Finalizing Server Creation

Once you create the server, everything will look rather...bare.

Spoiler: Bare Server :(

Now it's up to you to populate the server. First, you're going to want to add "Roles", then you can add additional "Channels". To start adding roles, just go to the arrow next to your server name, and click on "Server Settings, as shown.

Spoiler: Server Settings

There are a lot of things going on in this screen, but there's really only one tab you need to worry about for a Discord game. Click "Roles", highlighted below:

Spoiler: Settings Screen

By this time in the planning process (which will be discussed in the second part of this series), you should know both what the basic structure of your game is, as well as the different twists you'll be incorporating. You're going to want to create a new role for each tribe, as well as the prejury, the jury, and an "Alive" role. The tribe roles will allow each person with that role to access the tribe Channel (which you'll be creating later). The prejury role, similarly, will let the prejury players see a prejury Channel, and the jury role will allow jurors to see Ponderosa. Finally, if you choose to, you can create a Spectator role to allow people to watch ALL of the goings-on.

Creating roles is fairly intuitive, but there's one primary thing to remember. If the role is for a tribe member, a spectator, or a juror, you want to ensure that the two boxes below are checked:

Spoiler: Checking Boxes

These boxes will ensure that those players display separately from other members in the "memberlist", which, in the rollicking chaos of the game, will let people communicate with each other more effectively.

Finally, if you know your playerlist already, then you can go ahead and create a role for each player, as alluded to in the above screenshot. This step is only necessary if you're going to have "Confessionals" or "Diary Rooms" for each player, which I would strongly encourage if you choose to have spectators. These roles do NOT require any modifications like the tribe roles, they just simply need to exist.

Finally, you should create a "Host" role. You'll give this to yourself later, and any other assistants helping you. This will allow you to silo some things away in your own channel later.

Now that you have all of your roles, it's time to set up the staging area.

Spoiler: Setting The Stage

Click the "plus sign" shown, and create a new channel. The first channel I always create is the #moderating channel. This is where I put the "script" for the game, as well as some different contingency plans.

Spoiler: Creating A Channel

When creating any channel that you want to put specific people into/keep other people out of, you'll want to check the "Private Channel" box shown, and check the roles (which you've already created! Good planning!) that you want to have access to it. In this case, I would check the "Host" role that I created earlier so that only I could access the #moderating channel.

Go ahead and create all of the channels that you need, and if you choose, you can also create private voice chats for all of the tribes that you will have. In the example below, for example, I have a "greeting room" channel where all major announcements and challenges take place, the #moderating channel where my script for the game is located, four tribe channels, one for each tribe in the game, then a dead channel, a Ponderosa channel, and a spectator channel.

Spoiler: Sample Channels

If you want to add confessionals, you'll do that below. To make each confessionals secure, simply add the ROLE of the person whose confessional it is, your Host role, and the Spectator role when creating the channel.

Spoiler: Confessional Example

Finally, you might wonder how you're going to add people to a specific role. Once you invite your players and spectators to the server, simply click on the person you want to change in the memberlist, and click the "plus sign" as shown:

Spoiler: Adding Roles

When you do this, you'll be able to scroll through the list of roles and add any that are applicable to that player. Obviously, be careful not to make a player have the role of another player--it's probably best if players aren't reading each other's confessionals.

Once you've done all this, your Discord server is basically ready to go! That's really all there is to it. In the next part of this series, I'll be talking about the logistics of planning out your game in the first place, so be looking for that in the days to come.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 1:37 pm

Post by xofelf »

Beautiful <3
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue May 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Post by PrivateI »

The second part of this series deals with HOW to create a game, and what goes into the initial game design, as well as some discussion of logistics during a game. I will NOT deal with the specifics of which challenges to plan, as those will be dealt with in the third part of this series.

To begin, you're probably going to want a spreadsheet application of some kind. You can, of course, use Excel, however, I tend to use Google Sheets, since it allows me to collaborate with people if I happen to have a cohost.

When you begin your design, you'll probably see something like this--but don't despair. Once we're done, your sheet will be absolutely full of delight, and you'll be ready to host!

Spoiler: Here's what you will see

The first thing you're going to want to do is figure out what game you will host. For the rest of this section, I'll be showing you how to design a Survivor game specifically, but each game format has unique advantages and disadvantages. Survivor, for example, while relatively straightforward, with just one challenge per round, has a lot more to do logistics-wise with moving people onto and off of various tribes. Big Brother is very simple logistically, but will require at least twice as many challenges for the same number of players, due to it having two challenges per round. Other Large Game formats, like The Challenge, The Mole, and America's Got Talent, are possible to run, but each require unique variations to make them optimized for Discord.

Now, let's say that you want to host a Survivor game--now you have to consider the number of players. A smaller Survivor game will have 10-13 players, while a larger (one-night) game will have 16-18 players. For your first game, I would definitely recommend something like 10-13 players, for two reasons. First, you want to be able to control your players and all of the shenanigans happening. Limiting your playerlist will do that. Secondly, you want to finish in a reasonable timeframe. Until you know how long it will take you/your players to get through a full round, it's probably best to limit how many players are joining the game.

Spoiler: Game Workup

Once you decide how many players you will have, you might work up something small like the screenshot above. Basically, you need to figure out how you'll eliminate players, from 16 down to 3 or 2. This is where you'll start to work out the details of your game, and fill them in as you go along. Once again, for the purposes of this conversation, I'll be omitting specific discussions about challenges.

When you start filling in details, other details start falling into place. For example, in a 16 player game, I might start with two tribes of eight people, then shuffle the game into two new tribes of seven people at the Final Fourteen. If that's the case, I probably want to have the two new tribes merge when 11 people remain, since 11 people can make a good jury whether I want there to be a Final Three or a Final Two. In this case, I think I want there to be a Final Three. So my Game Workup will look something like this:

Spoiler: New Game Workup

Now, I also don't want it to be TOO predictable. And optimally, I want the game to take a little less time. I'm going to try to add two Double Tribal Councils to this game. When there are 13 people left, we'll send both tribes to Tribal Council, and play an individual challenge where one person from each tribe wins immunity, rather than the normal tribal immunity challenge. Then, when there are 8 people left, we'll have two people win the immunity challenge, and have two consecutive Tribal Councils. Finally, just for fun, I'm going to include a reward challenge when there are ten people left--three winners will earn an extra vote which has to be used before five people remain in the game. Let's see what the Game Workup looks like now.

Spoiler: Final Game Workup

I kind of like this game setup, and it appears relatively balanced, so I'm ready to run with it. There's a chance I would invite someone to review my game and take a look at what's going on normally, but with a relatively "normal" setup, I probably wouldn't use a reviewer before announcing the game. However, if you're designing a game and ever have any questions about whether a game appears fair, definitely reach out to someone. There are plenty of people in this community who are happy to help you, including myself.

Congratulations! You have a game designed! Now you just have to get other people excited about it. To start this process, you need to figure out a good date and time. This...can be more difficult than it sounds. I've personally tried two different options, and both have pros and cons.

Spoiler: Methods
First, you can provide your community with a range of dates and times, allow them to vote on an option, then run your game on the most popular day and time. Second, you can choose a date and time that works for you and run the game. From a moderating perspective, if you choose the first option, you're likely to have significantly more players available, but it requires you to block off more dates and times in your own schedule. If you're relatively busy, you may be better off using the second option, which will limit your potential playerbase, but will keep you happy, hopefully.

You have a game. You have a date. You have a time. Now you just need players. I've seen this done in a variety of ways.

Spoiler: Variety of Ways
First, you can announce your game, and accept players on a first-come, first-serve basis. This is, obviously, the easiest way to "cast" a game. I've also seen hosts require players to "apply" to play. This has the benefit of allowing you to keep out players who might be unpleasant or cause unnecessary drama. It also runs the risk of making you seem biased or exclusionary. Fortunately, none of the players in any of the communities I frequent ever are unpleasant or cause unnecessary drama, so I often use a third "hybrid option". This involves having people get their slots on a first-come, first-serve basis, but giving preference to people who have not played my games before. A word of advice--if you are running your first game, you should likely use the first option, then experiment with how you "cast" games as you gain more experience.

Now that your beautiful cast is ready to go (and you've hopefully cast a few alternates who are willing to play if any player drops out the day of), all that remains is giving access to the server to your players and spectators. To do this, you're going to go to the arrow next to your server's name, and click "Invite People" as shown below:

Spoiler: Invite Your Cast!

Once there, you'll find a link you can copy and disseminate to your cast and spectators. I normally wait to give server access until about an hour or so before the game begins, to keep too much "game" from happening before the game starts.

When people start to join your server, you already know how to add people to roles from reviewing the last part of this series. Simply add people who are PLAYING to their confessional role, as well as some kind of "Alive" role so you can keep track of how many players have shown up.

When the game begins, it's a rollicking ride to the finish! Try to stay present in the moment, don't get caught up in thinking about what you're doing next. Be sure to add people to their tribes, and try to reveal challenge wins and Tribal Council votes in an expeditious manner. Use the spreadsheet you created earlier, as well as the script you've already developed, to keep your mind on track. One thing I do is turn my Game Workup into a voting record, as follows, to help me keep track of who is voting for whom:

Spoiler: Voting Record

The only other thing to keep in mind is keeping the game from going on too long. Remember that, as the moderator, you set how long different phases last. For the first one or two Tribal Council phases, I'll typically allow 15-20 minutes for people to confer during Tribal Council. However, after that, I'll typically allow closer to ten minutes. Whenever I want to apply pressure at predetermined points in the game, I'll just allow something like five minutes for the players to decide on a vote. Trust your gut on this, but also, be open to extensions if your players genuinely need it. At the same time, don't be afraid to hold people accountable for meeting deadlines when it's appropriate.

On hopefully limited occasions, you will be faced with a challenge while modding. Not a fun challenge like an immunity or reward challenge, but a player or spectator who is being toxic to other players, and who is negatively impacting the experience for everyone. You have a few options in how to handle this situation. Right click on the offending person's name, and either kick them or ban them. "Kicking" someone will remove them from the server, and will force them to chill out for a little bit. They will be able to rejoin the server with the same link you sent at the beginning. "Banning" someone will remove them from the server, and they will not be able to rejoin the server. Obviously, this is only to be used in the most egregious circumstances.

Finally, if you screw up...you screw up. I've never run a game perfectly, and that's all right. Admit your mistake when it happens, and to the extent that you can do so without adversely impacting the game's integrity, fix the error. Sometimes that will result in some tough calls, and sometimes, people will be rightfully pissed. I urge you to, in these moments, be gracious, respond with dignity, and remember that this is just a game--a game you've put a lot of time into, but a game nonetheless. Facilitate an environment where everyone playing and everyone watching can have a good time.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 31, 2019 10:53 am

Post by PrivateI »

All right, it's time for the third and final part of this series. You have your server, you have your game, now you just need to populate it with challenges. One important thing to remember is not to stress about this. You may have seen and played longform games with completely original challenges which are elaborate and full of delight. Don't feel the pressure to create new and innovative challenges for your games. There are successful series of these games that literally use the same challenge or types of challenges every single time. Challenges aren't why people joined your game, so don't worry about making them overly complex. In reality, simpler can be better in Live Social Games.

With that said, I don't want you to feel totally flummoxed with how to begin, so below, I'm giving you more than TWENTY different challenges in a random order that are sure to delight your players. Feel free to steal these as much as you wish. All of these challenges are individual challenges, not tribe challenges, but many can be reworked for use in tribes.

Spoiler: Putting It Together
This challenge is simple--have players solve a jigsaw puzzle. This site will let you create your own jigsaw puzzles based on pictures you want to use, or if that's too much stress, you're able to steal puzzles that other people have already created. For this challenge, I'll simply post the link to the puzzle I want players to solve. The first player to post a screenshot of the completed puzzle will win immunity.

Tribe Variants:
This challenge is decent for use with tribes. When I have 3-4 (or more) tribes, I might post one fewer puzzle than the number of tribes I have. The last tribe to correctly solve a puzzle will go to Tribal Council. Additionally, you can do a "best of 5" challenge with two tribes, where you post five puzzles, and the first tribe to solve three of them will win immunity.

Spoiler: Freeze Frame
This challenge is one of the easiest to set up. Simply find a YouTube video that has a lot of variety, and take a screencap of any moment you wish. Don't include the timestamp in the screencap. Finally, provide the screencap and link to the video to your players. The first player to correctly list the timestamp of the screencap will win immunity.

Spoiler: Remember The Jury
This classic Big Brother challenge is a lot of fun to run, but requires a little setup. As your jurors are eliminated, ask them a list of predetermined questions. For one of the final immunity challenges, you can see how well players know the jurors. Ask players to choose whether a particular juror said what they actually said, or something plausible that you made up. If they guess correctly, they get a point, if they do not, they don't. After a set number of questions, the person with the most points wins. If there is a tie, go to a tiebreaker question.

Spoiler: The Flash That Smiles Back (Three Challenges!)
I wouldn't rely on these by any means, but there are a ton of flash games that you can use as endurance/skill type challenges. I usually will give players the link, and give them 15-20 minutes to get the highest score they can, then send a screenshot to me. The highest score by deadline will win immunity. Here are some favourites of mine:

Flappy Bird
Kanye Zone
Robot Unicorn Attack

Spoiler: Black And White
This challenge is designed for two people or tribes, and is taken from the show "The Genius". The ruleset from a previous game is listed below:

The challenge is simple--you'll get cards with the numbers 1-9. Odd numbers are white, even numbers are black. Each turn, you and your competitor will both pick a card, and whoever plays the highest card will win a point. If you tie in a turn, no one gets a point. Whoever has the most points after all nine cards are played will win. If there is a tie for the most points, the game will be replayed.

Spoiler: Find 'Em Out (Two Challenges!)
These two challenges are subtly different, but they're unique enough that I'd feel comfortable using them both in a game. They're both plays on the idea of word searches. First is one I like to call "Odd One Out". You provide the players with a list of words, and have them find the word that is NOT in the word search. You can create a word search using this site, and simply provide a picture of the word search to the players. The second iteration of this is literally a straight-up word search completion task. You can use this site to easily create a PLAYABLE custom word search online.

Spoiler: Letters and Numbers
This challenge is very simple and doesn't really require prep. Just post a letter and a number, for example "R 4". The first player to post a word that starts with that letter, and has the same number of letters as the number gets a point. In this example, you could correctly answer "root", "rust", and "ruby". The first player to get a number of points you choose will win immunity.

Spoiler: Moonwalking To Victory
This challenge is also very simple, and similarly requires little prep. Simply begin spelling a word one letter a time, backwards. The first player to correctly guess the word gets a point. If you finish spelling the word, start spelling it again. The first player to get a number of points you choose will win immunity.

Spoiler: Follow The Crowd (Two Challenges!)
For this challenge, you will simply present the players with a binary choice, for example "Red or black?" or "Star Wars or Star Trek". Privately, they will send you their choice. Players that pick the same choice as a majority of other players will advance, players that choose the minority option are eliminated. If there is a tie, throw out the question. If everyone picks the same option, move to the next question. Continue until just two people remain. This is a useful challenge if you need two winners. Alternatively, to go down to one winner, simply ask a tiebreaker question when two remain. The closest to the right answer without going over will be the winner.

Similarly, you can reverse this challenge, and only advance the MINORITY of players. If there is ever just one person who picks a particular option, they will win. I like this challenge because, the way it's set up, you could say that if EVERYONE picks one of the options, NO ONE will win the challenge, which can be a fun twist to introduce from time to time.

Spoiler: Categories
I really like this challenge because of how much fun it is to watch play out. The concept is simple. Just pick a category with a limited number of possible choices (preferably x-1, where "x" is the number of players left in the challenge). The last person to name a unique valid thing in that category is eliminated. The last person standing wins. Types of categories could include "Colours in the Rainbow" and "Countries Starting With 'M'".

Spoiler: Beat the Buzzer
This challenge is a fun way to test your players' reflexes. The rules are simple--if you say "start" (or another word you choose), the remaining players say "buzz". The last person to say "buzz" is eliminated. If anyone says "buzz" when they shouldn't, they are eliminated. The last person standing wins.

Spoiler: Cryptograms
Obviously, there are a lot of online resources out there that can help you out quite a bit. This site will let you create a playable cryptogram--those fun puzzles you see in newspapers that substitute numbers for letters. Play around with it a bit, you may find that you really enjoy this kind of word puzzle. Regardless, the challenge is easy--you either give players a link to the cryptogram, or show them a picture of it. The first person to solve the phrase you selected will win.

Spoiler: Memory Game
Similarly, the same website gives you a chance to create a fun memory game. Just upload your own photos, then pair them up with what they are. This can also double as a Big Brother or Survivor knowledge competition. The first to show you proof that they completed the puzzle will win the challenge!

Spoiler: Mix It Up
This is an incredibly easy challenge to run. Simply make an anagram of a word, post it, and the first to give you the actual word will win a point. The first person to get a number of points that you choose will win the challenge.

Spoiler: Survivor Shuffle
This website will allow you to create a slide puzzle using any picture you wish, or you can simply steal one from the main site. Give players the link to the slide puzzle, and the first to solve it will win the challenge. This challenge is fun because it tests slightly different skills than the jigsaw puzzle does. You can also use the same tribal variants from before.

Spoiler: Remember This Game?
This challenge requires a little bit of preparation, and is also based on a Big Brother challenge. In it, you post a rhyme (or near-rhyme) based on a challenge used earlier in the game. The first to name the challenge would get a point. The first to get a number of points you choose would win.

Alternatively, you can do this challenge as a "Callout" challenge, where two random people start in a head-to-head battle. The first to guess will either be right or wrong. If they are correct, they advance. If they are wrong, the other person advances. The person who advances chooses the next person to go. The last person standing wins the challenge. Here's an example of what I mean:

This challenge featured a mixed up image,
And you tried to be first in this exciting scrimmage.
Put the jigsaw together and you'd be on top,
Fail and you might be forced to stop.

(Answer: "Putting It Together")

Spoiler: TV Knowledge
This is basically just a trivia challenge, themed on the show your game is based on. Ask a Big Brother or Survivor trivia question, and the first to answer correctly gets a point. The first to the number of points you choose would win. You can also run this as a "Callout" challenge, as listed above.

Spoiler: X
This is similar to a straight-up trivia challenge, with a fun visual twist. Just go to Brantsteele, and find a cast of a season of the show your game is based on. Then, replace both the name and image of a random cast member with an "X". Finally, for the challenge, give the doctored image to your players. The first to name the missing player will either get a point or win the challenge, depending on how you want to do it. Here's an example of what your image would look like:

Spoiler: Coin Game
This challenge is a little difficult to explain, but can absolutely be a hit than can spice up your game. The concept is simple--each round, your players will pick a number between 1 and, well, whatever number you choose. For this example, we'll use 50 as the maximum limit. After all players submit, you announce the totals. The highest unique number scores nothing. If any player submitted the same number as another player, they also score nothing. Repeat this over a number of rounds--I find 5 rounds works best. The player with the highest CUMULATIVE total will win the challenge.

I hope you've enjoyed this series. If you have any questions, always feel free to reach out.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:19 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

God this is dope, Monty
green shirt thursdays
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Appendix A: Procedural Generation

In honour of this game going out of sign-ups and starting soon, I've decided to modify Zor's creation to give you a guide to make your own fun, twisty game through procedural generation. This setup is based on 16 people, feel free to tweak it as you see fit.

Procedural Generation

This should be done before the game begins. All procedural generation should occur on a Mafiascum PT or Discord with dice and be revealed post-game.

Merge Chance

When the merge occurs is selected on the basis of the following percentages:

13 players remaining: 10%
12 players remaining: 20%
11 players remaining: 30%
10 players remaining: 20%
9 players remaining: 10%
8 players remaining: 5%
7 players remaining: 5%

First Jury Member

Spoiler: Juror Rulez
After establishing when the merge will occur, use the following to determine the first jury member:
If 13, 12 or 11 at merge

Merge + 1 (person before merge) 10%
Merge + 0 (first player eliminated after merge): 40%
Merge - 1: 35%
Merge - 2: 10%
Merge - 3: 5%

If 10 at merge

Merge + 1 (person before merge) 5%
Merge + 0 (first player eliminated after merge): 45%
Merge - 1: 35%
Merge - 2: 10%
Merge - 3: 5%

If 9, 8, or 7 at merge

Merge + 1 (person before merge) 50%
Merge + 0 (first player eliminated after merge): 45%
Merge - 1: 5%
Merge - 2: 0%
Merge - 3: 0%

Tribal Mixups

Spoiler: Mixup Rulez
After each elimination, there is a X% chance of having a tribal mixup if the merge has not occurred yet.
If there have not been any Tribal Mixups:

1 elimination after previous elimination/start of game: 10%
2 eliminations after: 30%
3 eliminations: 40%
4 eliminations: 60%
5 eliminations: 80%
6+ eliminations: 95%

If there has already been a tribal Mixups

1 elimination after previous elimination/start of game: 10%
2 eliminations after: 15%
3 eliminations: 20%
4 eliminations: 40%
5 eliminations: 60%
6+ eliminations: 80%

If there has been two tribal Mixups
1 elimination after previous elimination/start of game: 5%
2 eliminations after: 20%
3 eliminations: 50%
4 eliminations: 75%
5+ eliminations: 85%

Type of Mixup Generation

When there is a mixup it can take multiple forms and there are several potential ways it can occur. When a mixup occurs, as many camps as there are already will remain the same and retain their potential advantages:

4 Tribe Mixup: If # left is 16 remaining: 45%, if # left is 12: 40%. Otherwise, 10% if 12 or over and 2% if 11 or under.
3 Tribe Mixup: If # left is 18 or 15: 50%, if # left is 12, 40%, otherwise 20% if more than 8.
1 tribe mixup: 15% if 15 or over players, 10% if 14 players left, 5% if 13 or fewer players left. (special: 1 elimination after mixup giving 1 tribe, the possibility of a new mixup is 50%, 2 eliminations after is 75% 3+ eliminations is 90%)
2 tribe mixup: Whatever is remaining between 4, 3 and 1 tribe possibilities (e.g. 15 players remain, 100-10-50-15 for 25% chance).

Twist Generation
Players know the method of selecting twists and the twists possible but not which twists are added. First, two six sided dice are rolled. The sum of those two is the total number of “twist points” in the game, minus one (so a total of 1-11 twist points). Then all possible twists are given an ID number 1-X, where X is number of twists available. A 1-X dice is rolled and that ID number is added if that twist’s “twist points” are equal to or less than the number of twists left in the game, then that number is subtracted from the twist points available. If there are still twist points remaining, a 1-X dice is rolled again and the process repeats with the used twist removed from the list as well as any twists that cannot be chosen (because their cost is higher than X). This is done until either 4 twists have been added or it is not possible to add a twist with the number of twist points left/twists selected.

Players will not know the exact twists or the total twist points, but they will (at your discretion) know whether the game is a Low, Medium or High Twist game. Low Twist = 1, 2, 3, Medium Twist = 4, 5, 6, or 7, High Twist = 8, 9, 10, or 11.

Spoiler: Twists
One Twist Point
Double Elimination - After voting out a member at Tribal council, it is announced there will be another double elimination. This will occur the first time it’s possible to do a second elimination without putting the tribe down by more than one player (so they enter the tribal council up at least 1 person).
Combined Tribal Council with Individual Immunity Challenge pre-merge.
The winning tribe of an immunity challenge gets to send one of their own to the other tribe to vote in the losing tribe's Tribal Council. The person sent cannot PM with their tribe, only the other one. They can then see the Discord channels for the other tribe until the next immunity challenge.
Legacy Advantage--A Legacy Advantage enters the game which gets used at Final Six.

Two Twist Points
Two players (one from each tribe) switch tribes at a point you choose.
Extra Vote Advantage--can be given out in an individual immunity challenge, a separate challenge, or something else you choose. And don't be afraid to give out more than one--two or three would be appropriate.

Three Twist Points
Exile Island - At various points in the game, players will be sent to Exile Island. Each tribe will vote for a player from the other tribe to go to Exile Island. The players sent will get to chat with each other but no one else. They will not participate in the next elimination challenge or TC. If you get this twist when there could be multiple small tribes, consider rerolling.
First Reward Challenge allows winning tribe to steal a member of the other tribe and randomly sends a member of the winning tribe to the losing tribe.
Super Idol is in play. This idol can be used AFTER the votes are read.
(For One Elimination Only) No PMs Between two Tribal Councils--do a Tribal Council, then immediately do a challenge and another elimination.
Vote out a Jury Member after Firemaking Challenge - A challenge establishes this. Only an option if there are 10 or more at the merge.
(For One Elimination Only) Big Brother Day - Instead of an Immunity Challenge, there are two competitions: first to decide which tribe goes to TC. Then to decide who is the Head of Household. The winner of the second competition decides to put up two players for vote. At that point only those two players may be voted for in TC. Alternatively, do this postmerge, and have the players compete in a Head of Household and Power of Veto competition instead of an immunity challenge. Only use this premerge if there will be 4 or more people on each tribe.

Four Twist Points
Edge of Extinction Island - Eliminated Players Go to the Edge of Extinction Island. There, they can chat among themselves as much as they want. Periodically, you will post a message in their channel. If any player does not respond within ONE MINUTE, they are eliminated from the game for good. At the merge, all remaining players engage in a challenge. The winner joins the game with an idol that activates after one “unsafe” TC. At the Final Five, one more player from EoE reenters the game, also with a delayed idol.
Final Two Instead - Surprise! It’s a final two and after the firemaking challenge the winner of the next challenge gets to take one of the other three to FTC.
(For all TCs) No PMs during Tribal Council. After every challenge, no messages are allowed between players. Anyone is allowed to communicate publicly, however.

Five Twist Points
Spectators Get a Jury Vote (revealed at merge) - The fan favorite among spectators counts as a Jury vote. Spectators won’t get a chance to question during FTC.

Seven Twist Points
A spectator (randomly chosen among willing spectators) will join the game when the merge begins. When they become a player, they will lose access to confessionals. They come in with an idol that must be used before SIX players are left.

If you have any questions--or suggestions for other twists I should include, or modifications I should make, let me know.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”