jtdyer
jtdyer
Townie
jtdyer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by jtdyer »

I knew it! I was wondering if the whole 'Oman isn't getting in trouble thing' is because Oman was the assassin, and I was surprised he floated the whole game; but there wasn't really enough for me to get him voted, he just 'felt' scummy, and everybody said no about instincts. I don't want you guys to have to look back too much, but any tips on how I could have played better?
Uh...
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:48 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I think you did fine jtdyer.

I suppose I kinda wish you had followed your instincts or pushed with me on oman on day3. instincts are not really bad in this game, its a matter of how you convey them in order to decide which information gets out. Hell you could have just said "I agree with poker and dahill, vote oman" and we wouldn't have gone at you. Thats how the quick wagons work in this game.

Only things you did wrong was lurk a little and some of your comments toward dahill looked like buddying but that may have been a good thing since he wasn't the king. Still you got to mess with wifom in respect to all players. 178 doesn't just make you look like the king since you weren't voted, it also makes everyone else look more like guards so the wine is being equally distributed. MCD fosing and not voting you made me think he thought you were king. And anybody that thought you were the king could not know the real king. I guess the real reason he fosed was who all got on your wagon then.

My last in game post also says 3 players were guilty of setuping lynches. I was throwing suspicion equally everywhere. Thats what you got to do you can't single anyone out of just attack one person if you are using wifom. I should have never said "Why is farside lurking" without voting her and dahill should have never said she was next after jester while he was voting me. Him not following through with setuping that lynch i'm sure sent up a red flag for Oman on who was king.

I think you did pretty good jtdyer. We should not have lynched you that quickly. Heck in AITP in theme park yosarian says you should let all players check in before you do the quick lynch. We certainly should have been doing that more too in this game.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:34 pm

Post by Rishi »

Final Vote Count

dahill1 - 2 (farside22, Oman)
Oman - 1 (dahill1)

dahill1, Guard, Lynched Day 7

The king stabbed the last guard furiously. "All dead," he cried! "I win. I mean, we win. Good job, man. You were with me to the end." The king put a firm, yet comforting hand on the assassin. Soon the affectionate gesture was turned sour as the king needed the assassin's shoulder for support. "Why? You were so loyal. If it was about the money, I could have given you the gold." The assassin smiled and said, "Who said it was about the money?"

farside22, King, Killed in Endgame

Oman, Assassin, Wins!
Taking a break from MS. Please send e-mail if you want to get in touch with me.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Post by Rishi »

Well, since some people have addressed some of the comments about the modding, you have to look at it from my perspective. I had looked at the earlier incarnation of AITP, but didn't really notice the rule about discussing the king's identity. I was in a bit of a bind when Oman blurted out that farside was the king. If he was a guard, I would have considered modkilling him for discussing his role PM, but I knew that wasn't really an option. I could either let the game continue as-is, reboot the game with new roles, or try to do damage control.

The damage control, in my opinion, was the best solution. I agree that the rule about not discussing the king's identity should have been in place since the beginning, but it wasn't. It's easy to say, in hindsight, that the rule should have been in place. But, you all had a chance to look at the rules in pre-game, and a couple people PMed me with rules suggestions, which I happily implemented. No one had really talked about the king's identity rule, though, until farside PMed me telling me the game had been ruined. At that point, I had to do something.

The funny thing is, if you got Oman earlier, the guards/king would have won. Oman PMed me on Day 3 or 4 telling me he was convinced that Shamrock was the king.

Anyway, I think it's easy to blame yourselves or to blame me for your loss, but you have to admit, Oman played fairly well. Anyway, congrats on your victory. Hope you all had fun.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I don't see how Oman ever thought Shamrock was the king. Didn't we run him up to L-1 on day 1. Why would we do that to the king? Oman was second on that wagon not the one that put him at L-1.

Is that what he pmed you when he mentioned pming you about me? Your responce to his comment felt out of rythm some but not really troublesome.
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... 22#1078622

I would have gone with a game reset since things had just started. That would be best damage control since things had just begun. I considered the option of you not modkilling him because he was assassin thing but kind threw it out. Him saying farside was king on irc would have been considered something between a null to scum tell on IRC. Probably would have been called an act of foolishness since guards shouldn't have a need to confirm themselves.

I told Rishi about the no fake suicide bombing and another rule I can't remember right now. I didn't mention the say kings name rule since that is allowed on irc and that thing did not phase me much at that time considering how I went at oman day 3. Dahill unvoting him is what phased me then. So i got some doubts because of other suspicions and people's reactions. I should have responded to that better I guess.

All in all I guess you did just ok under those circumstances, but I think I would have prefered the reset.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Post by Oman »

Yep its true, you guys would've won if you'd speedlynched me when you suggested it.
The Jester wrote:The game was ruined at that point,
No it wasn't, I made a play that was not against the rules, and you guys cleared me too early. There were a few areas when you should've lynched me, but I got away from them.
The Jester wrote:At least you know I was noble when I was trying to get Oman modkilled for cheating. Distinction my ass.
There is a heavy distinction! Korlash said "Poker IS the king" I said that "Korlash could've been fakeclaiming guard as king. Not saying he is or isn't, only that he could've" it was more a game theory discussion than what he did.
Poker wrote:We should have lynched Oman back on day three when I brought that stuff up on him.
Yup!
Poker wrote:but if I had I feared I would let too much out especially after dahill unvoted him.
Yeah! I said Shamrock should chime in and dahill unvoted.

Dahill: why did you unvote me there?
Poker wrote:It was 3 to lynch and Oman just put Farside at L-1 on day 6. No guard would ever put the King at L-1.
Damn straight! I would have gone after me right then and there.
Poker wrote:The shenanigans rule should have been around from the start.
Yep, but it wasn't. I wasn't even aware that that was a rule on the other games.

Poker: you said you caught me with a trap there, what was that?
Farside wrote:Oman I'm nominating you for best single killer. (or whatever comes close to that discription) for this game.
YAY!
Poker wrote:In general I don't think I'll support Oman's nomination only because he got lucky in some respects with game rules.
Total Bullshit! I played this game well! There were times where I could've been lynched but I played out of them. Don't take this away from me because you're upset about this.
Poker wrote:Hey Oman what did you PM rishi about earlier in the game? Rishi acknowledging that comment threw things off a bit too in your favor.
I PMed him Korlash's one, to get him modkilled.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:30 pm

Post by Korlash »

Naw rishi. Don't blame you for our lose. As mod your allowed to do whatever you want. i actually blame myself for not following the stupid rule in the first place.

Oh well next time ill be the assassin and poker will be the king and he'll have to let me win cause he owes me ha ha ha ha... >.>
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:31 pm

Post by Korlash »

Oman wrote: I PMed him Korlash's one, to get him modkilled.
You dirty bastard lol...

Eh i woulda done the same to you I suppose... >.>
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Post by Oman »

Korlash wrote:
Oman wrote: I PMed him Korlash's one, to get him modkilled.
You dirty bastard lol...

Eh i woulda done the same to you I suppose... >.>
If you were the assassin you would've.
dahill1
dahill1
bagel
dahill1
bagel
bagel

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Post by dahill1 »

Oman wrote:Dahill: why did you unvote me there?
it was pretty much the farside comment and this
Oman wrote:Especially because starting a wagon on a king can give away an assasin in a heartbeat. Even though it could be a guard throwing the scum off.
which i thought was an obvious crumb that you were attempting to throw off the assassin by pushing a farside lynch
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 pm

Post by Oman »

Ha! Nice.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:09 pm

Post by PokerFace »

Oman wrote:Poker: you said you caught me with a trap there, what was that?.
The trap was partially meant as disorientation to confuse you as I lynched you to keep kings identity secret. And partly because of the following statement. I apoligize if the logic here is confusing. The trap MCD walked into made it look
he thought jtdyer was king. You never reacted to said trap in the first place. You saying you understand could not have meant you understood because you never acknowledged that there was a trap, and therefore set a trap for yourself that you were clearly supporting a reasonless lynch without acknowledging the fact that MCD did not appear to know who the king was. And you not realizing his actions gave the impression on not knowing the king meant that
you were really the one who did not know who the king was!

If you can't understand that logic it is cool especially when you consider there must have been other reasons why MCD just fosed.
Oman wrote:
Poker wrote:In general I don't think I'll support Oman's nomination only because he got lucky in some respects with game rules.
Total Bullshit! I played this game well! There were times where I could've been lynched but I played out of them. Don't take this away from me because you're upset about this.
You misunderstand I am not upset. You did play well. I already said gg to you. You did deserve to win considering some of the various ways we let things slip. Read this thread again and see alot of things that should have told you Farside was king ahead of time. BUT luck was a factor in your victory. You said you said that as a gambit and it working to your advantage was luck. Had you won without some luck at your side, I'd be more than happy to support your nomination. Real champions worthy of recognition crush their opponants easily without difficulty or luck to save them.

Getting Korlash modkilled was shrewd. I would have waited for the mod to step in and not pmed him imediatly. The mod didn't imediatly kill you. Even though that rule wasn't around back then. Getting him imediatly killed was kinda hypocritical. Pot calling kettle black
http://ganjataz.com/general-bollocks/im ... -black.jpg

And Korlash I think I'd look forward to a game like that. I owe you for Loser Mafia and I should have pushed for an Oman lynching day2 over your lynching. I guessed Dahill unvoted you for those reasons and therefore was torn about staying on you. I made the wrong response to dahill's action. I wonder if I could have made the right responce to get you then without allowing you to dwell on the fact you were voting farside. Most likly dahill would not have supported my lynch of you for those reasons and if I can't get others to vote you I can't get you lynched. There is no I in lynch or in team. oh well
The Jester
The Jester
Goon
The Jester
Goon
Goon

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Post by The Jester »

No distinction. In a sense there is, you say something tastes good, I say it's delicious. Still the same thing.

Could've vs. Is. It's still talking who could be or not be the king.

Poker is the king. Or. Poker could've been fake-claiming guard as king.

Key point: Saying King. If you mention king in that aspect it's WIFOMing who the king is/is not. Both of those go against that added rule.

I concur that we should have started over, re-shuffled and fixed the rules.

Very simple. Also the luck part. I admit, I thought people would lynch me for trying to get Oman modkilled, but I think it's unfair to not modkill someone for doing in general the same thing. :P Even if it's the assassin. That just means they have to make their attack at that point anyways.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:00 am

Post by mith »

I'm not sure I understand the reason that rule was in place at all. There's no reason the guards/king shouldn't be able to WIFOM the assassin regarding the identity of the king directly. They do so at their own risk - they might give the assassin information. The only reason I can think of to have that rule is so a player doesn't ruin the game by throwing a tantrum and revealing everything he knows - but that's a danger anyway, the threat of modkilling isn't really going to deter it. If someone does it, we ban them and move on, but all games have to operate under the assumption that players aren't going to ruin games like that; Mafia doesn't work at all, otherwise.

Maybe pj will weigh in on this, I'd be interested to hear why it was a rule in his game.

That said, adding that particular rule after Oman's gambit and continuing the game was probably a bad idea.
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:07 am

Post by Rishi »

mith wrote: That said, adding that particular rule after Oman's gambit and continuing the game was probably a bad idea.
I did check with Thesp at the time the incident occurred, and he said that the way I handled it was probably the best thing to do. It's not like I could've asked the players at that point if a reset was proper.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 am

Post by PokerFace »

Hmm. I just thought of something. There is another way to look at that situation...

Farside PMed you and said game was ruined. As a result you made a rule. Because you responded to her claim you partially acknowledged her claim the game was ruined. Every action has a reaction. You gave her the impression Oman was a guard by responding to her claim. And making the rule kinda swayed others to thinking that too. Had Oman been a guard the town would now have the advantage of having 2 confirmed players as non-assassins. Oman being assassin gets bigtime advantage because some people thought he was confirmed. Sure I didn't consider him confirmed because of that one action but other players did. Responding with that rule part way was guaranteed to tip the odds in someone's favor. Reset was the way to go regardless of oman's role.

But don't take this the wrong way Rishi. I think you did ok because that indeed is a tricky situation. I still blame myself for some aspects of this loss.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:45 am

Post by Oman »

Poker wrote: BUT luck was a factor in your victory.
Isn't luck a factor in all victories?
Poker wrote:Getting Korlash modkilled was shrewd. I would have waited for the mod to step in and not pmed him imediatly. The mod didn't imediatly kill you. Even though that rule wasn't around back then. Getting him imediatly killed was kinda hypocritical. Pot calling kettle black
I didn't break a rule, I make sure that all my gambits are within the rules. Korlash, however, made the play AFTER the rule came in, with full knowledge of consequences.

It wasn't hypocritical as I was unknowingly breaking a non-retroactive rule that was to come in a later date, where he was know exactly the penalty for his actions.

I did ask Rishi to sit on it for a while, I wanted to see it play out.
The Jester wrote:No distinction. In a sense there is, you say something tastes good, I say it's delicious. Still the same thing.
No, its really not. I made it very VERY clear that I was not suggesting Korlash's role, whereas Korlash came right out and said that someone was the king.
The Jester wrote:Key point: Saying King. If you mention king in that aspect it's WIFOMing who the king is/is not. Both of those go against that added rule.
Read the rule again:
Rule wrote:Shenanigans that I won't stand for include:
1. Making a real or fake claim about someone being the king.
I did neither. I said that just because Korlash claims doesn't mean his is a guard.
Oman wrote:To tell you the truth, Korlash could've been fakeclaiming guard as king.

NOTE: I am not saying he is or isn't, just that he could've.
I made it quite clear that it was a theory discussion and not a unique player discussion.

I applaud Rishi for having the head to ask Thesp, though I agree a reshuffle might have taken away this hollow victory.

Now it feels pointless.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 am

Post by PokerFace »

Oman wrote:
Poker wrote: BUT luck was a factor in your victory.
Isn't luck a factor in all victories?
Poker wrote:Getting Korlash modkilled was shrewd. I would have waited for the mod to step in and not pmed him imediatly. The mod didn't imediatly kill you. Even though that rule wasn't around back then. Getting him imediatly killed was kinda hypocritical. Pot calling kettle black
I didn't break a rule, I make sure that all my gambits are within the rules. Korlash, however, made the play AFTER the rule came in, with full knowledge of consequences.

It wasn't hypocritical as I was unknowingly breaking a non-retroactive rule that was to come in a later date, where he was know exactly the penalty for his actions.

I did ask Rishi to sit on it for a while, I wanted to see it play out.
Did you or did you not imediatly pm Rishi and suggest a Mod killing of Korlash? You said you did and thus you were making a judgement call that the mod should have soul privlage to control. And in retrospect asking him to sit on it for awhile is like saying "I want him to be alive longer to tell me more." You should have sent Rishi no message at all and let him deal with it by himself.

Luck is not involved in all victories. There are some games on this site where scum have won without being voted outside of random vote day. And all scum got run up with perfect town wins. BUT despite not supporting you for a scummy I will acknowledge that you put some hardwork into this game. Good job.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:59 am

Post by Oman »

Poker wrote:Did you or did you not imediatly pm Rishi and suggest a Mod killing of Korlash? You said you did and thus you were making a judgement call that the mod should have soul privlage to control. And in retrospect asking him to sit on it for awhile is like saying "I want him to be alive longer to tell me more." You should have sent Rishi no message at all and let him deal with it by himself.
It was an assassin move. I will not say that as a guard I would have done that. I certainly wouldn't've. I took on the role of the assassin, and while it was probably arrogant I just wanted to point it out. As a mod, sometimes I don't read every word in a post like that, and I like it when players PM me and make my decision easier.

The Jester made the same play trying to get me modkilled :P
Poker wrote:Luck is not involved in all victories. There are some games on this site where scum have won without being voted outside of random vote day. And all scum got run up with perfect town wins. BUT despite not supporting you for a scummy I will acknowledge that you put some hardwork into this game. Good job.
Luck in mafia is so my next mini-essay.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:17 am

Post by PokerFace »

Well it is my personal opinion that no player should suggest a modkilling so I guess Jester was wrong too. I made some posts that suggested other players were the king too, but I did not flat out say X is king. So yes there is a difference between what you did, what I did, and what Korlash did. Clarification is the only thing Jester should have gotten facts on. Overall suggesting any action to a Mod during a game will effect a game in some ways.

I may actually take the time to read that essay for there have been times where luck has saved my ass aswell.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:25 am

Post by PokerFace »

PMing a mod to say ____ has happen or a vote count is wrong is ok.

Saying I suggest you should respond by doing ______ is wrong. Especially if _____ is go on a mod killing.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:06 am

Post by Oman »

This was the PM:
PM wrote:
Rule wrote:1. Making a real or fake claim about someone being the king.
Korlash wrote:so unless someone screws up and tells him/her poker is the king

PLEASE don't attach my name to this. And if you can sit on this for a day or so so that I can pull some info from it.
I see what you mean about no player suggesting it though.
Voodo
Voodo
Goon
Voodo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 am

Post by Voodo »

Hmmmm. Seemed like a good game. Too bad I was lynched Day 1. XD
The Jester
The Jester
Goon
The Jester
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:35 am

Post by The Jester »

The only reason I suggested it was from what I remembered of the rule it felt to be the same way. I should have re-read the rule first, but I had the gist of it. It seemed like the same thing to me. So we can all just say, should have reset. :P

Sorry Voodo. :D
Rishi
Rishi
A Meer townie
Rishi
A Meer townie
A Meer townie

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:48 am

Post by Rishi »

If the powers that be agree, I am okay modding this game over again with the same players and new roles.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”