Announcing Which Alignment Won a Game at Queues

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Larry David Official
Larry David Official
Townie
Larry David Official
Townie
Townie

Announcing Which Alignment Won a Game at Queues

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:26 am

Post by Larry David Official »

Why do we need this? Game moderators generally post their game's results on the queue but who needs this? Do people keep refreshing the queue thread to learn a result of random game? Why don't they just check the result of the game themselves, on the game thread? I mean, I don't think no one does that ,the refresh thing, anyways but it is just too useless to post your game's result on a queue that no one cares. If they are caring about the game, they can really just check for themselves. Just something I wanted to point out.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:42 am

Post by popsofctown »

If you have no care whatsoever who won a game you thought about queueing for, but didn't, yes the announcement will do nothing from you.
If you are meticulously following a game from a spoilered spectator thread, the announcement will do nothing for you.
If you are anywhere between those extremes, the announcement is very helpful, especially in situations with fancy third parties or outlier situations. If you go into the game and try to iso the mod, the victor announcement will be like the fifth to last post, and the fourth to last post will have similar-ish formatting if they are printing out some role PMs.

Even when a game is mechanically simple there's scenarios like concession that make it harder to quickly find out who won a game by looking at a thread you haven't been following.

The queue announcement also gives you the unique option of learning which faction won a game, but no who was playing in that faction, and then choosing to read the game semispoilered, knowing the mafia is going to win the LyLo but not which player is going to be revealed to be scum. That might come up occasionally.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Larry David Official
Larry David Official
Townie
Larry David Official
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:23 am

Post by Larry David Official »

In post 1, popsofctown wrote:The queue announcement also gives you the unique option of learning which faction won a game, but no who was playing in that faction, and then choosing to read the game semispoilered, knowing the mafia is going to win the LyLo but not which player is going to be revealed to be scum. That might come up occasionally.
Yeah I can't see anybody doing this to be honest.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:39 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

It's also a heads up for the list mod that the game has ended, and how(I think all of them have a database or such for that; mainly to check if the win rates of town/scum/other are acceptable or not).
Plus, it can then be closed shortly after(although currently most list mods achieve many threads at once, it seems).
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:24 am

Post by schadd_ »

"oh shit that game i started following & was wondering about, but isn't in a subforum that i look at, ended"
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:13 am

Post by Micc »

I've often wondered the same thing. I can't imagine there is anyone besides the listmod who cares about a game ending but wouldn't be following the thread. I don't personally find the notification useful while doing my listmod duties, so my hunch is that unless the listmod is specifically asking for this, you don't need to do it.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Ankamius
Ankamius
Survivor
Ankamius
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 am

Post by Ankamius »

it might be a relic from when listmods kept a log of games in the queue thread instead
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:38 pm

Post by mastina »

Announcing the outcome of a game in the queue is considered a common courtesy--sure, it's not something which is, strictly speaking, necessary, but it is something which is considered polite, as it in theory reduces the workload for a listmod.
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Post by N »

In post 7, mastina wrote:reduces the workload for a listmod.
no it doesn't
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Post by Firebringer »

who cares?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown

Return to “Mafia Discussion”