D&D 5e Campaign

This forum is for playing games other than Mafia and Mafia variants.
NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (isolation #0)  » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:09 pm

So I decided I wanted to try this out. It's been tried a few times before, but not particularly successfully in the long run as far as I can tell. Please go ahead /in if you might be interested. I'd be fine starting with 3 or 4, but I'll take up to 6 if demand is high.

Newbies

If you've never played D&D before, but want to try it out, feel free to /in! I'll give as much help as possible, and I'm sure experienced players will as well. Some useful links:

The basic rules: https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/DnD_BasicRules_2018.pdf
This doesn't go through all the options, but it gives a good overview of the rules you need to know.

DnD Beyond: https://www.dndbeyond.com/
This is a very useful resource for keeping track of things about your character online. It's free, although you can pay for content outside of the Basic Rules (it also gives you all the classes for free, not just the 4 in the basic rules). This is where everyone will have their character sheets.

If you don't know something, ask! It's (probably) not a stupid question.

Characters

I'm fairly flexible with regard to what characters I'll allow. For example, some DMs ban Aarakocra, but I'm fine with them. However, heavily minmaxed characters won't be allowed unless there is a good reason. This campaign will focus on social interaction and RP, not just combat. Once you /in, PM me a link to your character on DnD Beyond (preferably as well as the official modules you'vs played before so I know what I can't steal from). While DnD Beyond does not give you all options from other books for free, it has a powerful homebrew tool that you can use to manually build these options of you wish. While it is possible to find pirated pdfs of these books online, I am not actively encouraging piracy. If you "homebrew" a paid option from one of these books, I will assume you found the info legally.

With regard to backstories, don't make it too long or too short. Something in the range of 100 words is perfect, but definitely not longer than 150. You don't need (and I don't want) that much detail yet. Even just a handful of sentences is fine. It'll get fleshed out later.

Campaign Setting

Avadhoth, the Kingdom of the Ravenwood Forest, is led by King Amdos, a Tiefling who came to power by controversial and shadowy means. His intentions and targets are unknown, but the kingdom has been mobilizing for war. This has become a great concern for the neighboring Principality of Enon. Enon is ruled by Lord Zadoc Nightslayer, a war hero who became Lord of Enon when the previous Lord died with no children. However, in little Colkirk, the site of our adventure's opening, there is talk of little else than the coming harvest festival.

Update: Signups Are Closed
Last edited by NotMySpamAccount on Sat May 04, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (isolation #1)  » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Yay, first victim player! I'd say roll attributes, 4d6 drop lowest. Max hitpoints for level 1 as well, but roll them after that. Probably rerolling 1s on hitpoints as well but idk.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #4  (isolation #2)  » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Shiidaji wrote:I don't know much about this but I wanna try! I'll check out the guide and character creator after work.


Sounds good! Post any questions here if you have them.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #9  (isolation #3)  » Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 am

Oh wow, lots of interest overnight (: I'll answer your questions here, and then add details to post 0 about the setting.

Porkens wrote:/in I have been dying to play

edit:

ok I made an account that's pretty sweet.

Personally, for 5e, I like to start with the "background" of the character and work backwards to class/race, if anyone is interested in my general method.

I have a question for the DM: how do our characters know each other?


Sounds good! I'm pretty flexible about that, once I see the characters I'll try to build an opening around it where you all meet each others' characters organically, rather than knowing each other from the beginning. I'll then PM about your "entrance" generally if it's something you wouldn't necessarily expect.

Shiidaji wrote:How we meet would really help a lot to create a character. Is it like a traditional tolkien-y setting?


It'll be fantasy definitely, sorta Tolkein-y but if you really want a gunslinger or artificer, those are fine as well. I'll build the finer details of the setting so that they fit well. The more overarching details will be in post 0 momentarily.

Mitillos wrote:/tentative in
If that's alright.


Perfectly alright! Glad to have you.

Nero Cain wrote:I can play!


Excellent! That's 5 players, so I'll go ahead and close "signups" a whole lot earlier than I expected unless a 6th shows up in the next 12 hrs or so. Glad this got a lot of interest. Everyone PM me your characters over the next day or so, and/or PM or post questions if you have them.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14  (isolation #4)  » Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Mitillos wrote:I think it would be nice if everyone gave a rough idea of what class type they intend to play. It won't be helpful if we end up with five bards singing at each other.
Personally, I'm willing to wait until everyone else has said what their preference is, and then just pick up something that the party still needs.

Also, I don't have a dndbeyond account, but I found an editable character sheet pdf. Would it be OK for me to use and share that for my character, instead?

Good idea for planning that out, though I would kill to watch a 5 bard party. dndbeyond recently added the capability to link a google account as well as a Twitch account, so that might work. If you don't have either, I suppose an editable pdf would be fine as a last resort.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16  (isolation #5)  » Thu May 02, 2019 1:15 pm

Mitillos wrote:Google account works. Could you tell us what settings to use with the sheets? (e.g. milestone vs xp and so on)


Sure! All content on, xp advancement, manual hp, and leave everything else the same.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #24  (isolation #6)  » Fri May 03, 2019 8:22 am

Hello xofelf! There seems to be demand for you to join, and I said in post 0 I'd take 6 if demand was high, so you're in, congrats! That's def the most I'll take though, so signups are officially closed. I'll PM out the "join campaign" link momentarily.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #31  (isolation #7)  » Fri May 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Nero Cain wrote:
In post 20, Nero Cain wrote:I thought about it and kinda changed my mind. XO can take my spot


I said but Spam still pmed me. I'm being bullied to play. :cry:

Sorry, ignore the pm if you don't want to play.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #34  (isolation #8)  » Fri May 03, 2019 4:21 pm

In post 32, Mitillos wrote:Incidentally, are there types of enemies or environments we should expect to see a lot of?

Not that I'm willing to spoil. But I think I can guess your class from this post alone.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #36  (isolation #9)  » Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 pm

In post 35, xofelf wrote:I am considering building a bard, but I am not completely sure yet. I've never played one before! So I have no idea how to even begin building one. I know what to do with one once I have one though ;)
I've played a human rogue in 3.5 twice, I have a tiefling wizard, and a tabaxi barbarian in the 5e campaigns I'm involved in. But with all of those, I built them with the DM because I have very little idea of what I'm doing! So, any advice would be appreciated!!

Sure thing! I can link you a dndbeyond post that's a guide to a bard build.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/226-bard-101-a-beginners-guide-to-guile-and-panache
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #40  (isolation #10)  » Fri May 03, 2019 5:49 pm

xofelf wrote:Hmmm, are those fancy half-elf subraces usable? I'm highly considering one of them.

Yep, go ahead. I like the UA stuff generally, so I'm fine with anyone using it.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #51  (isolation #11)  » Sat May 04, 2019 7:19 am

In post 49, Mitillos wrote:Alright, I also made a human wizard. Let me know if you guys think I should switch.

Do whatever you want to play. The party will be fine no matter what the compostition is.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #54  (isolation #12)  » Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 pm

In post 53, Mitillos wrote:The only caster I ever played was a 3.5e Warlock, so I guess I'll give spells a try this time around.

I've switched to Pollux ('cause he's a caster, get it?) the human wizard. If he ever dies and can't be brought back, I still have Screek the birb with his bow, in reserve.

I only just got the joke. Excellent name. Also, you took Variant Human, but didn't take a feat. Do you want me to build one from the book for you to use, since none of the free ones are great for a wizard?
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #56  (isolation #13)  » Sat May 04, 2019 2:41 pm

In post 55, Mitillos wrote:Oh, right. The only option was firearms specialist, and that's just silly for my character. Could I have Keen Mind, instead? It suits the character's backstory better.

Sure.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #58  (isolation #14)  » Sat May 04, 2019 6:53 pm

In post 57, Porkens wrote:God I took that because it was then only one on the list too. Is there other options? I was vaguely remembering a feat that gave extra skills or expertise?

Anything from an official source is fair game, I'll build it for you if it's not already free.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #59  (isolation #15)  » Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 pm

The sun beat down on Cobble as he hauled timber to the build site. As he crested the hill, he looked out over the fields. Shiidaji, please describe how your chracter looks.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #62  (isolation #16)  » Sun May 05, 2019 11:14 am

Cobb watched as something very odd walked down the road near the fields. It was gold, but he couldn't make out much more. Cobb, make a perception check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #64  (isolation #17)  » Sun May 05, 2019 11:49 am

A total of 13. Allo, tell him what he sees.

For future reference, you can include the modifier inside the dice tags, i.e.

Original Roll String: 1d20+1
1 20-Sided Dice: (13)+1 = 14
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #67  (isolation #18)  » Sun May 05, 2019 3:17 pm

A pair of men, one tall but in dingy robes, and one clad luxuriously, follow behind the dragonborn. Porkens and Mitillos, please describe your characters.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #68  (isolation #19)  » Sun May 05, 2019 3:18 pm

don't worry, we'll really get started soon.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #71  (isolation #20)  » Sun May 05, 2019 7:19 pm

The sound of a dulcimer echoes from the distance, as a strange but amiable-seeming newcomer appears over the crest of a hill. Xofelf, describe your character.

Here we go!
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #74  (isolation #21)  » Mon May 06, 2019 7:30 am

Pollux, roll an intelligence save.

As the travellers walk, one final figure emerges from the nearby woods, immediately catching everyone's attention. His garish clothes stick out like a sore thumb, and his strange cart, which he, having ceased to haul it, has begun to set up as what looks like a sort of mobile shop, is even more outlandish. He calls out in a booming voice, far louder than one would expect, "Come one, come all, to witness the astounding, to experience the wondrous arcane, to see The Marvellous and Magnificent Maximillian Milgram, the Master of the Magical!"
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #82  (isolation #22)  » Mon May 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Mitillos wrote:
Original Roll String: 1d20+6 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (10)+6 = 16


Assuming that whatever required this save doesn't leave him incapacitated, Pollux will immediately be interested and go to see what this Master of the Magical is all about.

Also, the fractals thing was a joke.


aww, the entire plot revolves around the fibonacci spiral

Shiidaji wrote:
In post 73, Mitillos wrote:Seeing and hearing Ilyana, Pollux has invented fractals and Fourier analysis, respectively.

:lol: :lol:
DM r we allowed to just freewrite like my above post? or do you want to keep it DM-Player-DM-Player


What you did is not only fine, but encouraged! The more interaction, prompted or otherwise, the better.

Porkens wrote:Cheater Blought claps his hands together and exclaims "Music AND a Show?! The gods smile down on us despite the hellish heat!"

Smiling widely, Cheater motions for his engineer to set up the collapsable stool on the road to watch the enthusiastic magician.

Rolling insight to see what he's really up to ;)
Original Roll String: 1d20+4
1 20-Sided Dice: (14)+4 = 18


He seems to be being fairly open, just trying to make some money and put on a show. He probably doesn't mind getting his hands a bit dirty, though.

Milgram brings out many small trinkets, and makes a few bangs, flashes, and sparks in the air. He then turns to the crowd beginning to form. "Who wants to try their luck? A classic game, three bowls, only one contains this ball." He holds up an inch-wide gold ball, and tosses in the air, showing it off. "If you pick the right bowl, you get the ball. If you don't, you pay me a gold piece. Who wants to play?"
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #86  (isolation #23)  » Mon May 06, 2019 5:08 pm

xofelf wrote:For the record, I always forget what I should roll to do or figure things out like 95% of the time, so DM just expect to need to suggest such things at me

That's fine, I will.

Milgram looks around, and suddenly stops at Ilyana's eagerness. "Well, well! I'd love to start with a lady like you. How about this, if I win, you don't give me a gold, you buy me a drink at the tavern in an hour. Sounds like a good deal to me." He winks, smiles, and begins to move the bowls around, quicker and quicker, until they're almost a blur. Roll a Perception check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #87  (isolation #24)  » Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 pm

In post 85, Allomancer wrote:Upon hearing the half-orc speak, Kriv jerked his head towards him, noticing him for the first time. A quick glance around and he saw the magician and became intrigued. He kept quiet, determined to watch him first before trying to play.

Roll a Perception check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #89  (isolation #25)  » Mon May 06, 2019 6:05 pm

Mitillos wrote:I would like to roll a perception (or perhaps investigation?) check, to see if the guy is cheating (e.g. pulling the ball into his sleeves or something). If there's cheating going on, Pollux would like to surreptitiously attempt to take a specific action that I will PM you.

Go ahead. This is perception, since you're watching for something instead of searching it out.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #91  (isolation #26)  » Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 pm

And that's our first nat 1, nice. What did that guy say he would do again? When did he get here?
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #92  (isolation #27)  » Mon May 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Also happy scumday xofelf!
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #98  (isolation #28)  » Mon May 06, 2019 11:00 pm

xofelf wrote:
Original Roll String: 1d20+1
1 20-Sided Dice: (5)+1 = 6


Thanks!


The bowls are now moving so fast that you can barely tell them apart. You lose track of the bowl and eventually pick one at random. Unsurprisingly, you miss, and Milgram laughs. "It seems you owe me a drink, sweetie. Anyone else up for a try?" He looks around. "Don't worry, that gold ball hasn't gone anywhere." He picks up one of the remaining bowls to show the ball underneath. As he does, Norixius, who had followed the correct bowl carefully, sees something very odd. That's not a gold ball, or even a ball at all. It's an illusion, no doubt explaining why it was not under the correct bowl.

Cobble, meanwhile, tries to remember details of the harvest festival. Not much comes to him, but he recalls days of dancing and merrymaking, and newcomers from a good distance. The festival attracts many strange characters, but the previous years' festivals were too long ago for Cobb to remember many details.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #101  (isolation #29)  » Tue May 07, 2019 6:56 am

Porkens wrote:“Oh I’ll have a go” cheers cheater. He bellies up to the ball game.

"Excellent, excellent. Step on up, and away we go!" Milgram again spins the bowls. Perception check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #106  (isolation #30)  » Tue May 07, 2019 12:41 pm

Shiidaji wrote:Can we use the Help action here for advantage or is that combat only? We're bleedin money

You can if you can think of a reasonable way you could help someone to see something.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #107  (isolation #31)  » Tue May 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Milgram laughs heratily. "Does anyone else want to try? Or shall I bring out something for you to buy?" The crowd seems split, some hoping another will come forward for the game, but others wanting some more concrete entertainment.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #112  (isolation #32)  » Wed May 08, 2019 6:12 am

Mitillos wrote:Do I hear Kriv?

Yeah, probably. He wasn't really hiding it, and you two were near each other.

Shiidaji wrote:
In post 106, NotMySpamAccount wrote:
Shiidaji wrote:Can we use the Help action here for advantage or is that combat only? We're bleedin money

You can if you can think of a reasonable way you could help someone to see something.

this oki?

Cobble had nothing against the magical man, but after hearing Cheater's accusation curiosity won out. He readied a hairy leg, poised to unleash a mighty stomp the next time the golden ball game was played in an attempt to rattle the roadside stand, or perhaps break the trickster's focus.

Fair. Unfortunately...
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #113  (isolation #33)  » Wed May 08, 2019 6:17 am

Milgram looks around for a few moments, and puts the ball and bowls away. He begins to bring out wares to sell, showing them off to the crowd as he does so. Out comes a few potions, a weapon or two, an oddly shaped hat, or perhaps crown, which he claims is magical, and other simple things any salesman might carry. Some of the crowd moves off, but others stay to see the goods on offer.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #115  (isolation #34)  » Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 pm

Most of the items are fairly simple, but a few catch your eye. There are a few cheap daggers, only 1 gp, and some studded leather armor for only 40, but other than that, not much stands out.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #117  (isolation #35)  » Wed May 08, 2019 6:07 pm

In post 116, Porkens wrote:I’m not so much looking for rarity rather than deal. Is anything priced way too low that I might be able to resell for a profit?

Nope, not really. You can tell this guy is a pretty good salesman.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #119  (isolation #36)  » Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 pm

sorry for the delay

Porkens wrote:I’ll ask my secretary to get his contact information and go back to my shaded stool to wait out the encounter.

After waiting in a long line, he returns to tell you that Milgram wouldn't give him info, only that "he'll find you if you need him."

After another half-hour or so, Milgram begins to pack up. As he does, his hand slips, and a strange cloth falls out of his cart. It unrolls, and seemingly from nowhere, a rhinoceros appears, somehow charging out of the fabric! Roll initiative.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #125  (isolation #37)  » Sat May 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Prodding Shiidaji

Meanwhile, Rhino initiative is 18. (I won't be rolling these publicly, to make it harder to deduce ability scores etc.)
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #127  (isolation #38)  » Sat May 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Mitillos wrote:Whilst we wait, can we use our passive senses to see if the rhino is a summon or an illusion?

Make a perception check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #129  (isolation #39)  » Sat May 11, 2019 6:05 pm

It's a real rhino.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #133  (isolation #40)  » Sun May 12, 2019 7:19 pm

Shiidaji hasn't responded to the prod so I guess we're getting started without him.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6

As the bystanders, including the hulking half-orc Cobble, scatter in fear, the rhino charges for Norixius, attempting to gore him.

Rhino rolled a 19 against AC 18, so it deals 8 points of bludgeoning damage to Norixius.

As it charges forward, the rhino veers off to the side to attack Norixius. Still distracted by the travelling salesman's odd behaviour, it reaches him before he can react, knocking him back on his heels with a powerful blow.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9 is up next
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #135  (isolation #41)  » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Allomancer wrote:Momentarily knocked off balance, Kriv jumps up and swings his battleaxe downward at the rhino.
Original Roll String: 1d20+4
1 20-Sided Dice: (2)+4 = 6

I'm just gonna roll damage now so I don't have to wait for you to tell me if it hits or not. If it doesn't hit, we can just ignore this roll. The attack is one-handed because I'm holding my shield.
Original Roll String: 1d8+2
1 8-Sided Dice: (2)+2 = 4

Good idea, always roll damage.

As the axe comes down, the side of the rhino is sliced open, and some blood spurts out. Only a little, but the thing can be hurt.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #138  (isolation #42)  » Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 pm

Porkens wrote:Short bow with sneak attack to the rhino:

To hit
Original Roll String: 1d20+5
1 20-Sided Dice: (14)+5 = 19


Damage
Original Roll String: 2d6+3
2 6-Sided Dice: (3, 4)+3 = 10


Yep, sneak attack bc Norixius is still there.

Unfortunately, you misjudge the rhino's momentum as Norixius's axe hits it. The slight change in direction makes the arrow just barely arc past the beast.

Don't forget to remove an arrow from your DDB equipment. It's small, but it'll add up over time.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #140  (isolation #43)  » Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Whoops, forgot to post initiative.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #142  (isolation #44)  » Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 am

As the skeletal hand reaches out and grasps the rhino, it freezes for a moment. The place where the hand touched seems to decay, and the beast is mesmerized for a moment.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #144  (isolation #45)  » Tue May 14, 2019 4:17 pm

In post 143, xofelf wrote:You'll have to correct me if I'm doing this all wrong, not used to saying what I'm doing without DM actively there to confirm I'm doing things in the right order or can even do them.

Upon seeing the rhino, Ilyana takes a step back in surprise and points at it and says, "Your horn wouldn't even make a decent aphrodisiac!" and casts Vicous Mockery.

I uh.. don't know what I'm supposed to roll for this one, it's a new spell to me, or if it's just the rhino rolls a wisdom save and has to beat 13? I know what I'm supposed to do for damage there at least!

Original Roll String: 1d4 (STATIC)
1 4-Sided Dice: (1) = 1


After feeling she's thoroughly insulted the rhino, Ilyana bursts into a song all about how rhinos aren't even all that tough when compared to the power of friendship, and uses Bardic Inspiration as a bonus action.

That is indeed correct. The rhino rolls a Wisdom save, taking 1 damage on a fail.

Hearing the insult, the rhino stops and turns, its head hurting from the confusing statement. It appears very distracted.

Rhino rolled a nat 1 (: Also, for bardic inspiration, you have to pick someone in particular to inspire (and roleplay it if you want).
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #146  (isolation #46)  » Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 am

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6

The rhino charges back from Norixius giving you an attack of opportunity if you want. and focuses on the source of the decaying, icy hand. It rushes towards Pollux and rolls a 14 to hit, even with disadvantage from being roasted.

15 damage. That's enough to knock you out, since wizards are about as strong as 2.5 sheets of wet tissue paper. However, it's not quite enough (1 hit point away) from killing you outright!

As blood gushes from Pollux's wound, he collapses, clutching his chest.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #150  (isolation #47)  » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Porkens wrote:Short bow with sneak attack to the rhino:

To hit
Original Roll String: 1d20+5
1 20-Sided Dice: (15)+5 = 20


Damage
Original Roll String: 1d6+3
1 6-Sided Dice: (3)+3 = 6

Original Roll String: 1d6
1 6-Sided Dice: (5) = 5

Norixius revived Pollux, so you do indeed get sneak attack for 20 damage. I just doubled what you rolled, but feel free to roll your extra damage in a second post if you see you got a crit. Otherwise, I'll just double.

The rhino lurches to the side as the arrow finds its mark. Blood spatters everywhere, as the rhino roars in pain.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #154  (isolation #48)  » Wed May 15, 2019 9:19 pm

Mitillos wrote:"Slumber, beast."

Cast Sleep. Place the centre about 10 feet behind the rhino and 15 feet above, which should mean that nobody is caught in the sphere other than the rhino, given that everyone is running away. If this is impossible to do, I'm alright with including xof's half-elf in the sphere, since they're immune.

Original Roll String: 5d8
5 8-Sided Dice: (1, 2, 5, 6, 3) = 17


Oh dang. You can position it fine. But does the gamble pay off?

As Pollux raises his hand, a pulse of energy cascades from it, and the air goes still. The rhino stops for a moment, feeling the shift, and slowly falls to the ground, asleep.

I didn't see that coming.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #159  (isolation #49)  » Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 am

In post 155, Mitillos wrote:Is talking still a free action?

Go ahead and talk. It's feasible to talk while fighting, especially now that the thing's asleep.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #162  (isolation #50)  » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm

yep. on mobile rn so I can't do much, but the rhino does nothing bc it's asleep. Norixius is up.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #164  (isolation #51)  » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

The rhino lurches awake as the axe falls. It slowly comes to its feet, awakened by the pain.

Initiative
Rhino - 18
Norixius - 9
Cheater - 8
Pollux - 6
Ilyana - 6
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #168  (isolation #52)  » Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 am

In post 165, Porkens wrote:oh this poor dumb beast

Cheater switches to daggers to finish the poor beast off!

Stab
Original Roll String: 1d20+5 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (12)+5 = 17

Original Roll String: 1d4+3 (STATIC)
1 4-Sided Dice: (4)+3 = 7


Stab 2
Original Roll String: 1d20+5 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (15)+5 = 20

Original Roll String: 1d4 (STATIC)
1 4-Sided Dice: (4) = 4


Sneak
Original Roll String: 1d6 (STATIC)
1 6-Sided Dice: (6) = 6

The first stab comes down, enough to bring the beast to its knees.

Apologies for the delay. Do you guys want to do HDYWTDT? If so, go ahead.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #176  (isolation #53)  » Thu May 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Porkens wrote:Cheater flourashes a bow as he tries to reclaim some of his arrows.

You recover both.

xofelf wrote:Ilyana smiles widely and winks at Pollux.

"Flatterer. If you liked that song so much, I would gladly sing you another! It's the least I can do."

She looks around remembering where this Rhino came from and wrinkles up her nose in annoyance.

"Hold up a second here Mr Merchant Guy. How exactly did this happen? You could have seriously harmed people. Explain yourself."


Milgram starts guiltily. "I usually prepare the beast for a trick when I put on a real show. This time, the cloth slipped. It was an accident, I swear! And now I have to find another one of those beasts, thanks to you. If that halfbreed hadn't rushed my rhino when you put it to sleep, I could have solved this easily." He angrily rights his cart, which appears to have fallen over during the fight, and stalks off towards the town.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #179  (isolation #54)  » Fri May 24, 2019 3:39 pm

In post 177, Mitillos wrote:Once Milgram has walked away a few yards, Pollux points a finger at the ground over which this guy is about to walk and casts Mold Earth to suddenly turn it into difficult terrain.

"Hmmm. Maybe a hole, too? Nah, not worth it."

As the cart rattles through the suddenly treacherous earth, Milgram turns angrily. "What do you want now? I've told you everything. Leave me to my travels."
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #189  (isolation #55)  » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm

In post 187, Porkens wrote:I cast fireball on the merchant. I have a scroll of fireball.

Original Roll String: 8d10 (STATIC)
8 10-Sided Dice: (8, 10, 7, 2, 9, 5, 3, 1) = 45


also im an 8th level wizard

Cheater, as he walks, imagines what it would be like to be able to make a fireball hit the merchant. It's only a daydream, though.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #190  (isolation #56)  » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:30 pm

As you walk towards the village, the angry yells of the merchant fading away, the town approaches. People seem to be going abou their business, but the unexpected rhino attack has caused a small stir. Any sort of business you wish to attend to awaits.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #191  (isolation #57)  » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:07 pm

bump. I don't want to have prod timers for this, but it appears we might need them.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #194  (isolation #58)  » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:07 pm

oh I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

With little business to attend to, a welcoming tavern beckons from a short distance away.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #199  (isolation #59)  » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:05 pm

The small tavern is full of hustle and bustle as you enter, the smell of spilled beer assaulting your noses. A tired looking young woman approaches, asking for your order. Some of the patrons look over as you enter.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #203  (isolation #60)  » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:03 am

She approaches with a cake and an armful of flagons. "5 gold, please."

Make a perception check, everyone.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #209  (isolation #61)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:56 am

As you drink and talk, you fail to notice some suspicious figures approaching, until a voice growls from behind you. "None of you move. If you want this to be easy, you can hand over ten gold apiece. Don't make us do this the hard way."
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #212  (isolation #62)  » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:08 pm

In post 211, xofelf wrote:Ilyana looks towards the source of the voice with a wink and a grin,

"What kind of hard way you talking about? Sounds like my kind of party."

Wow. Just wow. Roll a persuasion check.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #214  (isolation #63)  » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 pm

In post 213, xofelf wrote:I'm a bard. What did you expect?

Original Roll String: 1d20+5 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (14)+5 = 19

19? Seriously?

The figure tries to growl back a retort, but finds himself unable to resist a chuckle. "Alright, make it five for her. Ten for the others."
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #218  (isolation #64)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:40 am

Mitillos wrote:Only 5 gp worth of charming, apparently. :Þ

Hey, criminals have to eat too.

Mitillos wrote:Pollux stealthily casts minor illusion. It's the sound of several crossbows being loaded right behind the suspicious people, followed by Cobble's voice saying "Hands where I can see them, lads."

Make a sleight of hand check to hide your hand motions, and then an intimidation check with your intelligence mod instead of charisma.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #221  (isolation #65)  » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm

The booming voice of a half-orc comes from behind the thugs, making them jump and look around. Although they can't see the source of the noise, one shakily puts his hands up, followed by the other, still looking confused.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #223  (isolation #66)  » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:59 am

Mitillos wrote:To be clear, are there only two of them?
Edit: Also, if we rush them now, do we get a surprise round?

There are in fact two. Regarding surprise, you'd have to find out by attacking.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #226  (isolation #67)  » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:19 pm

In post 224, Mitillos wrote:Anyone want to jump in? I already took an action here.

feel free to do more, we're not in combat yet.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #228  (isolation #68)  » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:11 pm

That works. You would first cast the spell, then say something and make a persuasion check with advantage from teh spell.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #230  (isolation #69)  » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:46 pm

In post 229, xofelf wrote:Well I also mean, is this one of those spells I have to roll for, or is it a straight up I say I'm casting it and they just have to pass whatever check for it to work? I barely use spells ever so I'm never sure what means what

You just cast and then get advantage on social ability checks.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #234  (isolation #70)  » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:51 am

In post 231, xofelf wrote:Okay, sweet. Sorry, my sister has been in town and been busier than I expected.

Ilyana is going to cast charm person on the guy who looks most leadery or barring that, least paying attention to her.

"We're all friends here now, right? Why don't you and your friend go ask somebody else for their money. You wouldn't ask your good friends for such things, would you?"

Roll persuasion with advantage.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #236  (isolation #71)  » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:37 am

In post 235, xofelf wrote:Dunno if there's an easier way to roll for advantage/disadvantage here, so if there is, lemme know.
Original Roll String: 1d20+5 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (5)+5 = 10


Original Roll String: 1d20+5 (STATIC)
1 20-Sided Dice: (17)+5 = 22

I think that's the only way.

The thug hesitates, thinking. Ilyana's disarming smile continues, and he finally mutters, "Sure, sure. I'll let it go, but just this time." His companion looks confused, but shuffles off with him.
Show

NotMySpamAccount
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: January 29, 2019
Pronoun: He

Post Post #238  (isolation #72)  » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:07 pm

In post 237, Mitillos wrote:I am incredibly tempted to have the illusion shout "DON'T MOVE!", but I won't.

lol
Show


[ + ]

Return to The Whole Sort of General Mish Mash