[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Post by singletonking »

See [JUNE CHALLENGE] for last month's thread.

July Challenge
Create a new open setup.

Must contain at least one of the following:
  • All players are neighbours
  • A nonstandard cycle (anything other than normal Day/Night cycles or Nightless)
  • Powers, i.e. an optional limited shot ability that can voted on to be used by the town on any Day phase while shots remain.

Spoiler: Clarifications
  • All players are neighbours:
    Not necessarily all with each other, but with some player at some point of the game. It doesn't have to be necessarily at the start, but all players should be likely guaranteed to be a neighbour at some point in the game.
  • A nonstandard cycle:
    Examples would be irregular cycles (e.g. Double Day), or adding new phases to the cycle (e.g. doing something meaningful in Twilight, or adding a Dawn phase)
  • Powers:
    Unlike Gameshow Mafia, the game doesn't need to have many powers or even revolve around using powers (and it's best not to because it'll probably be hard to gauge balance). Something as simple as mountainous with a 1-shot Coalition would qualify.

Submit your setups as posts in this thread. You may re-submit and/or edit until July 31st, at which point we'll vote.

Winner will be in charge of the requirements for next month's challenge!
On indefinite hiatus from playing Mafia.
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Post by singletonking »

In post 2, chennisden wrote:probs rly townsided but who cares! it is great fun!

also i tried this time (which is why i made the power role be a vote which is objectively better)

does it satisfy the 3rd requirement?
No, it doesn't because voting for the neighbourizer must be done on D0.

It doesn't satisfy the first requirement either because not everyone will be a neighbour: Some will die early, and the game will end before all living players get to be neighbours.
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Post by singletonking »

In post 9, Irrelephant11 wrote:
Open Box of Silver9p,
v

During the day phase, scum must split all players into 2-person neighborhoods without overlap. These neighborhoods take effect during the night, and only last one night. Scum also have continuous scumchat, but scumchat is not considered a neighborhood.
Scum
must
also choose one neighborhood to give a Watcher action to.
Scum
may
also choose one
other
neighborhood to give a Jailkeep action to. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood with two scum in it, they must also give out the Jailkeep action that night. If scum ever choose to give the Watcher action to a neighborhood that has one scum in it for the second or third night in a row, they must also give out the jailkeep action that night.

Within each neighborhood that has a night action, both members must choose a target for the night action. The two neighbors may choose the same or different targets. At the end of the night phase, mod will randomly choose one of the neighbors to enact that night action on their chosen target.

On Day 4, the game becomes nightless.

Let's see if this can become an open :P :D
In post 10, Irrelephant11 wrote:I recognize that the D1 lynch is technically never a neighbor, but it still feels in the spirit of the rule. STK let me know if this doesn't fit what you had in mind
Yeah this is fine because almost all people get to be neighbours. If it's only the Day 1 lynch that's excluded it's fine.

Having said that, your setup doesn't work... If a jailkeeper action ever succeeds, the next night will have an odd number of players alive and can't be split into 2-player neighbourhoods.
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:00 am

Post by singletonking »

In post 107, mith wrote:
Take Two

4 Mafia
9 Townies

Each Day, the Town votes to lynch two players. Town win on any day by lynching a pair of Mafia. Otherwise, alignments are not immediately [edit]or ever[/edit] revealed. Instead, at Night, the Mafia chooses two players to kill, with the restriction that exactly 1 of the 4 lynched/killed players is Mafia.

After Day 3, there is no Night. Instead, if the Town has failed to lynch even a single Mafia out of the six players chosen, scum win immediately.
Otherwise, the game resets to Day 1 and all players are again alive.
If after the second Day 3 town has not won by lynching a pair of Mafia, scum win.

With completely random choices both days, EV is 40.63%. However, about 70% of games will get to the second cycle, and town will do a bit better than random in these games by taking into account the information from the first cycle. For example, the probability of a first cycle Day 1 win is 1/13, but on the second cycle Day 1 town knows that 2 of the last 5 players were Mafia and one of those pairs is already ruled out so they can win 1/9 by picking another pair from that group. I suspect the true EV is pretty close to 50%, maybe eventually I'll work out all the details.

(This is an open/vanilla version of a Tragedy Looper or Majora's Mask game which has been bouncing around in my head for a while.)
I really like this!

Initially I was thinking how it fit my criteria, and I realised it involved dead players in a way that I didn't imagine, but it definitely counts!
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #144 (isolation #4) » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:10 pm

Post by singletonking »

All right, I'm going to tabulate the results. I'll also normalize them by giving submitting non-voters a default vote of themselves above everyone else (tied).
singletonking
singletonking
Mafia Scum
singletonking
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (isolation #5) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:31 am

Post by singletonking »

Sorry I'm not been able to get round to doing this

If Cinnamon is the winner he should create the August challenge

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”