[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

One Day Ultimate Conspiracy

One neighborhood consisting of 3 VTs

One neighborhood consisting of 1 VT and 2 Mafia

Neighborhood membership is public.
There is no lynch mechanic. Players discuss the game in the neighborhood and game thread, and at any time a player may post selfvote in the game thread. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that includes mafia, the town wins. If the player who self voted is a member of a neighborhood that does not include mafia, the mafia wins.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:03 am

Post by popsofctown »

Technically half day/night cycle half nightless is a nonstandard cycle so you get it that way.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm definitely replacing it later. It was just fun.

The EV is 50% if you leash the mechanic but uh, if the mechanic is leashed that kinda proves the setup is bad lol.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:19 am

Post by popsofctown »

I don't think it's an important criticism that every player needs to be able to put in a night action. That's a requirement of mountainous mafia, once one player has a bad history of afking over the night phase it becomes possible to deduce who the scum could be by who would have missed submitting a night action. People who don't show up to do their night actions are always a problem.

I do think unfortunately like a lot of special lynching mechanics optimal play is to "leash the mechanic"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:38 am

Post by popsofctown »

District membership is permanent? So if all three infiltrators chose south district as a questionable strategy they will always make a south gate "report suspicious activity" every night for the rest of the game?

Are the gates to the outside just flavor? That seems like it could help shorten things.

How do the gates become closed?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #74 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I guess I could resubmit Titanzar Mafia if I stayed too lazy. It would qualify wouldn't it?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #88 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 am

Post by popsofctown »

Safe to Split Push mafia

Vanilla Townies
Mafia Goons
1 Shared power

This game autojanitors all flips and has a factional NK.
Any day starting with day 2, the town may collectively decide to activate their "Split Push" power. On activation, if there are 3 Mafia Goons alive, the town immediately loses. If there are 1 or 2 Mafia Goons alive, instead all deceased players flip, and for the rest of the game no flips are janitored and the game is nightless.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:15 am

Post by popsofctown »

String of Disappearances Mafia

8 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons

On Day One, the town may give up to one player Night 1 Bulletproof. There isn't a lynch day 1.
Night One, the mafia can neither no-kill nor target the bulletproof player.
On the verge of the nightkill victim's death, that mod has that player investigate another player, then vig another player (this can be compressed into one PM with an if X then Y statement).
If the vig victim is mafia aligned, this is over, but if the vig victim is town-aligned, this chain repeats indefinitely.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #92 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

Innocent Child
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #100 (isolation #9) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 96, chennisden wrote:
In post 90, popsofctown wrote:
String of Disappearances Mafia

8 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons

On Day One, the town may give up to one player Night 1 Bulletproof. There isn't a lynch day 1.
Night One, the mafia can neither no-kill nor target the bulletproof player.
On the verge of the nightkill victim's death, that mod has that player investigate another player, then vig another player (this can be compressed into one PM with an if X then Y statement).
If the vig victim is mafia aligned, this is over, but if the vig victim is town-aligned, this chain repeats indefinitely.
Sucks to be the nightkill victim

Also what happens after

Like, doesn't this guarantee a mafia dies

Does the vig victim die
Well normally the nightkill victim dies with no further input regarding the game. So compared to like a newbie setup this setup makes being nightkilled N1 suck slightly less.

This setup does guarantee that a mafia dies.

All the vig victims die, which means they are unable to report the cop investigate.
Although I guess this does have d1 mass hypoclaim
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #101 (isolation #10) » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Post by popsofctown »

You only get one confirmed innocent off the hypoclaims I think. Which is not too many for scum to NK later so inconsequential. But I think people prefer when they don't have to bother hypoclaiming during L-1
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #103 (isolation #11) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

Good break.
I rescind String of Disappearances mafia in favor of Split Push mafia for now.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #104 (isolation #12) » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:00 am

Post by popsofctown »

Descent into Madness Mafia

9 Town Mad Scientists

2 Scum Mad Scientists

Collective Town Power : Savage Mutation

The mafia factional nightkill is compulsive.
Each day starts with players only allowed to post naked votes regarding the Savage Mutation power (this restriction includes factional PTs). If "Don't Mutate" receives a majority or 2 real days pass, the power is saved, perhaps to be used on another day. If "Mutate: Playername" receives a majority, that player becomes a
3-nights-to-go-poisoned, unlynchable, bulletproof, voteless third party savage mutant with a 3-shot factional nightkill
. That player loses all posting privileges, even voting, for the rest of the game. If that player was previously town, that player's win condition becomes
"Fennecbeast: You win the game and leave the game when you kill a member of the mafia."
If that player was previously mafia, that player's win condition becomes
"Sharktobeast:You win the game and leave the game just before shooting when you target the same player at night that the mafia targetted"

The Savage Mutation power becomes unavailable after it has been used once, or after a Scum Mad Scientist is lynched.
After the decision regarding the power, players can post opinions that may persuade the up-to-one savage mutant in the mutant's silence, but more importantly posts opinions about a standard majority lynch.
After a
Sharktobeast
win, the remaining shots are fired at townies at random over the remainder of the nights.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #113 (isolation #13) » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

I also wanted to make a Majora's mask game but couldn't get it to work. I thought about Majora's mask Midway through the post. It looks like a really neat setup!
I don't go for colored flag setups as a personal preference though
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #117 (isolation #14) » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

The Scythes

9 Townies
2 Multiacting Mafia
1 Power: Scythedom

On day 1 there is a standard lynch.
On night 1, after the nightkill, the mafia groups all the remaining living players into 3 person neighborhoods.
On day 2, players vote on a neighborhood to become the Scythedom. They can discuss this in their neighborhoods, but in thread they can only post naked votes until the Scythedom decision is hammered. The Scythedom gains a votes-only post restriction, but also gains a compulsive democratic neighborhood vigilante kill. Scythedoms of three allow the scum to redirect their shot if they fail to at least reach a 2-1 majority vote. Scythedoms of 2 randomize their shot between the two targets if there is not consensus, except if one of the options is scum and the other isn't, the town aligned player will always be selected. Scythe votes are published in thread on the following daystart.
The post restriction vanishes in LyLo.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #127 (isolation #15) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:40 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 119, TemporalLich wrote:Collected the latest setups posted by people.

idk which one of popsofctown's setups to put in
I'm torn because I think Descent into Madness Mafia is the best design, but the Scythes is the only one people would vote for. But I don't think people generally vote for my setups anyway.

Overall I want to "die fighting", I'd like to withdraw the Scythes and submit Descent into Madness. Only one person has ranked so far and they might not need to change.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (isolation #16) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

Descent into Madness Mafia

9 Town Mad Scientists

2 Scum Mad Scientists

Collective Town Power : Savage Mutation

The mafia factional nightkill is compulsive.
Each day starts with players only allowed to post naked votes regarding the Savage Mutation power (this restriction includes factional PTs). If "Don't Mutate" receives a majority or 2 real days pass, the power is saved, perhaps to be used on D2, after which it goes away completely. If "Mutate: Playername" receives a majority, that player becomes a
3-nights-to-go-poisoned, unlynchable, bulletproof, voteless third party savage mutant with a 3-shot factional nightkill
. That player loses all posting privileges, even voting, for the rest of the game. If that player was previously town, that player's win condition becomes
"Fennecbeast: You win the game and leave the game when you kill a member of the mafia."
If that player was previously mafia, that player's win condition becomes
"Sharktobeast:You win the game and leave the game just before shooting when you target the same player at night that the mafia targetted"

The Savage Mutation power becomes unavailable after it has been used once, after day 2, or after a Scum Mad Scientist is lynched.
After the decision regarding the power, players can post opinions that may persuade the up-to-one savage mutant in the mutant's silence, but more importantly posts opinions about a standard majority lynch.
After a
Sharktobeast
win, the remaining shots are fired at townies at random over the remainder of the nights (after the factional nightkill is resolved).
Last edited by popsofctown on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (isolation #17) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am

Post by popsofctown »

Descent into Madness
popsofctown
Divide and Conquer
Skygazer
Soul Gem Mafia
TemporalLich
Group Investigation
Cinnamon
Open Box of Silver
Irrelephant
N/2+1
OkaPoka
Four Seasons
Ircher
Take Two
mith
Council Infiltration
Not Known 15
Dance Party Mafia
Carl Tuckerson
Pick a Neighbor
chennisden
Job Application
Oversoul
Don't Gooch your Neighbor
Boonskies

Edit history: moved Okapoka up 3 spots after I saw mith's EV calcs (past mith's own setup XD)
Last edited by popsofctown on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (isolation #18) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

I made a very long post about all thirteen setups but mafiascum timed out my login and I lost the post when I went to submit it. I am devastated. I can't go that in depth again but I will do tldrs of everything I said.

Descent into Madness: Onesided persuasion is supposed to be the unique element.
Divide and Conquer: Mechanic influences dayplay, the EV is great.
Soul Gem Mafia: Balanced tree stumping
Group Investigation: Secretly a fixed version of the "one scum must be on wagon" 7p
Open Box of Silver: Objectively great but closed variants might be even better
Four Seasons: Greatly dislike pregame choices that are "roll a d4"
Take Two: I'm just hating on the flags in a great setup
Council Infiltration: Assuming I understood the setup by the middle of d1 it's probably interesting
N/2+1: Townsidedness concerns
Dance Party Mafia: Way too much flavor written in the setup submission itself. Save it for the role pm once you've convinced me the design is good and I've /inned.
Pick a Neighbor: Not sure if the intent is that the shot fails when it hits mafia, based on the "tip". Kind of too mountainous if you disbelieve neighborhood power the way I do (except tree stump neighborhoods)
Job Application: These mechanics make the flag condition even less appealing.
Don't Gooch Your Neighbor: I read the setup twice and maybe I'm still misreading it but it reads like mountainous with neighbors.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #143 (isolation #19) » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

*crickets*
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #150 (isolation #20) » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Post by popsofctown »

But there's nothing that changes EV?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #154 (isolation #21) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:54 am

Post by popsofctown »

Is he around? Haven't seen his name much.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #158 (isolation #22) » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I loosely wanted to force people to make vig setups if ever won one :twisted:

But I heard in a previous post that if Skygazer or someone got a chance to vote mith should have won, so I want to let mith go for it.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”